Yewts likely out...

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bigger_Blue_Aggie

Re: Yewts likely out...

Post by Bigger_Blue_Aggie » March 15th, 2024, 11:25 am

bpd wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 8:47 am
In coaching circles, Craig Smith is a really good coach. I agree. While on a different thread, a lot of fans drool over getting Will Wade (not going to happen), Smith beat Wade on a neutral with a walk on point. Craig's problem is his recruiting. Utah is in a better spot than when Craig took over, but I think he thought he could get fans. He can't. For whatever reason, he and his staff cannot get recruits.

On another note, I do not want to play CU in the tournament. They have been injured all year and now they are healthy and they look good.
CU has scary talent on their team and their coach holds the most wins all time for their program.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 15th, 2024, 11:29 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 9:18 am
I am telling you all. Smith is an Aggie through and through. He hate utah as much as the rest of us. I would take 12 million dollars to keep Utah irrelevant in basketball too.
I don't think any coaches are Aggies through and through unless they originally played here (Matt Wells) and even he bailed for a payday. Coaches are hired to be fired or do well and leave us behind. This has been said so many times about Gary Andersen and now he coaches where??? And he's left the program THREE times now. That's all you need to know.

I'll put Stew in the Aggies through-and-through category with Matt. Because he retired and stayed retired.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 15th, 2024, 11:34 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 11:29 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 9:18 am
I am telling you all. Smith is an Aggie through and through. He hate utah as much as the rest of us. I would take 12 million dollars to keep Utah irrelevant in basketball too.
I don't think any coaches are Aggies through and through unless they originally played here (Matt Wells) and even he bailed for a payday. Coaches are hired to be fired or do well and leave us behind. This has been said so many times about Gary Andersen and now he coaches where??? And he's left the program THREE times now. That's all you need to know.

I'll put Stew in the Aggies through-and-through category with Matt. Because he retired and stayed retired.
You don't know that about Gary. If he helps to make that schools football program mediocre like Smith has done to utahs basketball program, I will consider him an Aggie.

:lol:
Last edited by LarryTheAggie on March 15th, 2024, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22JFWAggieStanfordAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 15th, 2024, 11:36 am

University of Utah, where coaching careers go to die. It's the cookie curse of Rick Majerus LOL

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 15th, 2024, 12:35 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 6:39 am
Can you imagine giving up what he had at usu for this?

Every empty seat has a $100 bill sitting in it for Coach Smith.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
ViAggie

MahlerFan1
Has thanked: 0

Post by MahlerFan1 » March 15th, 2024, 1:12 pm

Bigger_Blue_Aggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 11:25 am
bpd wrote:
In coaching circles, Craig Smith is a really good coach. I agree. While on a different thread, a lot of fans drool over getting Will Wade (not going to happen), Smith beat Wade on a neutral with a walk on point. Craig's problem is his recruiting. Utah is in a better spot than when Craig took over, but I think he thought he could get fans. He can't. For whatever reason, he and his staff cannot get recruits.

On another note, I do not want to play CU in the tournament. They have been injured all year and now they are healthy and they look good.
CU has scary talent on their team and their coach holds the most wins all time for their program.

I live in Boulder. Boyle has been here since 2010, which is an ETERNITY in college coaching. The program had some excitement under Ricardo Patton and Jeff Bzdelik, but Boyle has sustained a standard of excellence, even as the football program festered in the sewer all those years.
These users thanked the author MahlerFan1 for the post:
Bigger_Blue_Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 15th, 2024, 1:28 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 10:08 am
bpd wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 9:56 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 9:38 am
bpd wrote:

When I watch the Utes I see a pretty loaded roster and size for days. I don't think it's a recruiting issue at this point.
You seriouis?
Yeah. Brandon Carlson and Keita would do very well in the MW, and they have 2 other 7 footers that are more than serviceable. The PG Smith is really good as well. They got at least three shooters to spread the floor.
Yep he had tournament level talent this year. His coaching staff failed. And it is year 3 so they failed anyway if people don't believe the talent around Carlson is good enough.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 15th, 2024, 1:32 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 10:27 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 6:30 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 2:25 am
MahlerFan1 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 1:50 am
After falling to the Buffaloes.
Coach Smith, looked MISERABLE on the sidelines. Grass isn't always greener.
Don't think he would have won at USU long-term. Best for the program that he moved on
Interesting thought. He was the perfect coach at the time to breathe some much needed energy into the program. Would he been able to maintain the momentum? Wich leads to another question - is USU better off with these short-term rentals?
I don't think he would have. I agree he was the right guy for that moment, but don't think he would have us recruiting well enough to win long-term and also think his act wears on guys. Utah had some very inexcusable losses this year. A good coach with the same roster doesn't lose to ASU(twice), Stanford and Oregon State.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 15th, 2024, 2:04 pm

March 15th, 2024, 1:32 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
MahlerFan1 wrote:
Don't think he would have won at USU long-term. Best for the program that he moved on
Interesting thought. He was the perfect coach at the time to breathe some much needed energy into the program. Would he been able to maintain the momentum? Which leads to another question - is USU better off with these short-term rentals?
I don't think he would have. I agree he was the right guy for that moment, but don't think he would have us recruiting well enough to win long-term and also think his act wears on guys. Utah had some very inexcusable losses this year. A good coach with the same roster doesn't lose to ASU(twice), Stanford and Oregon State.
These are my thoughts as well. His intense attitude and high energy personality is exactly what we needed in the moment. He was like the anti-Duyea. After Queta, he and his staff seemed to strike out on most peer-level recruits and by year 3 I think he knew he was at the pinnacle with what he was about to lose.

We all like to point to the players that were already committed and fell in Smith's lap upon arrival but the one that mattered the most was Brito. That led to landing Queta (by Neemi's own admittance) which ended up being this single biggest impact on those teams. Yes, Merrill was good but Neemi's presence changed everything for us on both ends of the court and finally gave us a legit MWC level big. I'll always appreciate what Craig Smith did, he was the perfect guy for the perfect situation, but I don't believe he would have continued to have success in Logan had he stayed.

What I like the most about these quick coaching changes is that with them comes new assistants and new relationships and ties to new potential players. It's like Blake's first year and being able to bring in players from all over the country because of the relationships they had with the various coaches that BA had hired. Once that influx of new players is over though, if the staffs stay then they have to go out and build new relationships with new coaches, often in new regions of the country, and it's a complete reset in many ways. There's definitely something to be said about bringing in a new staff members with new connections.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Bigger_Blue_Aggie

Post by Bigger_Blue_Aggie » March 15th, 2024, 2:07 pm

MahlerFan1 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 1:12 pm
Bigger_Blue_Aggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 11:25 am
bpd wrote:

I live in Boulder. Boyle has been here since 2010, which is an ETERNITY in college coaching. The program had some excitement under Ricardo Patton and Jeff Bzdelik, but Boyle has sustained a standard of excellence, even as the football program festered in the sewer all those years.
For sure. I'm just down the road in Frederick basically across I-25 east of Longmont. Although, I was born and raised in southern utah; I've been up here since 2009.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2024, 3:16 pm

Aglicious wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 2:04 pm
March 15th, 2024, 1:32 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
MahlerFan1 wrote:
Interesting thought. He was the perfect coach at the time to breathe some much needed energy into the program. Would he been able to maintain the momentum? Which leads to another question - is USU better off with these short-term rentals?
These are my thoughts as well. His intense attitude and high energy personality is exactly what we needed in the moment. He was like the anti-Duyea. After Queta, he and his staff seemed to strike out on most peer-level recruits and by year 3 I think he knew he was at the pinnacle with what he was about to lose.

We all like to point to the players that were already committed and fell in Smith's lap upon arrival but the one that mattered the most was Brito. That led to landing Queta (by Neemi's own admittance) which ended up being this single biggest impact on those teams. Yes, Merrill was good but Neemi's presence changed everything for us on both ends of the court and finally gave us a legit MWC level big. I'll always appreciate what Craig Smith did, he was the perfect guy for the perfect situation, but I don't believe he would have continued to have success in Logan had he stayed.

What I like the most about these quick coaching changes is that with them comes new assistants and new relationships and ties to new potential players. It's like Blake's first year and being able to bring in players from all over the country because of the relationships they had with the various coaches that BA had hired. Once that influx of new players is over though, if the staffs stay then they have to go out and build new relationships with new coaches, often in new regions of the country, and it's a complete reset in many ways. There's definitely something to be said about bringing in a new staff members with new connections.
What's frustrating about Queta with regards to Smith is the lack of development. Shortly after leaving USU for the draft process there was video of him shooting threes and jumpers comfortably, a skill set we never used his whole time in Logan. Bean's shooting improved with Odom's staff as well.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 15th, 2024, 3:20 pm

Yewt fans have got to be thinking "how is it that these guys can go to Utah State and pull this off in the MWC but they come here and can't pull it off in the PAAAA AAAHHHHH now I get it" LOL
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 15th, 2024, 3:42 pm

bpd wrote:

Players are bought now and not recruited. So is he just bad at identifying talent or are the Ute boosters just not willing to pay enough for basketball program NIL salaries? Judging by the fans at games maybe its the latter.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 15th, 2024, 4:24 pm

hickaggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 3:42 pm
bpd wrote:

Players are bought now and not recruited. So is he just bad at identifying talent or are the Ute boosters just not willing to pay enough for basketball program NIL salaries? Judging by the fans at games maybe its the latter.
Lots of distractions in SLC make it more difficult to get butts in the seats in the Chemical Center. Even I was a student at the U during the Rick Majerus days and I don't remember ever attending a single game or any one of my peers talking about going to any of the games back then. Yewts get to compete with pro-sports in places more centrally located, makes it harder to get the attention of the casual fan. Also, lots of Yewt fans never even went to school there, much like ybu fans, and their fans are motivated by the same things. But for the Yewts, basketball doesn't seem to be one of them.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
stwinward

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic