Is Mason out for the tournament

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 15th, 2024, 5:24 am

We really need him to advance

ImportAggie

Re: Is Mason out for the tournament

Post by ImportAggie » March 15th, 2024, 6:41 am

I am not a doctor or medical professional and 1000% talking out my (I can't express myself without swearing) here, mostly.

My prediction is Mason has a torn labrum,
Or rotator cuff. I noticed at the New Mexico game they snuck him back to the locker room after tweaking it mid game. It looked partially out, and like it was a sitting really low in his joint like it’s really loosened up. And the time I figured it was anatomically, and probably is.

If there’s any weight to my speculation — He was probably able to come back in vs New Mexico because with dislocation injuries like that you’re usually fine mobility wise until you stop moving it, then the swelling sets in and you stiffen up like a board (from personal experience with labrum tear as well as constant knee dislocations in high school). You lose all mobility and it’s super painful trying to loosen it up for around a week. Which adds up as someone else pointed out in another thread that now he’s even high fiving guys with his left (could just be over cautious advice from trainers)

I hope I’m wrong tho. He can definitely play with the injury in a week if they get the joint swelling down but if its loose enough it’ll just keep popping out, partially or maybe even fully depending. At which point you can maybe hit him with a steroid shot and send him out next game in the tourney, but that’s a huge risk in my opinion. Those steroid shots Can deteriorate your soft tissue and weaken bone so if I was him or his coaches I wouldn’t for his longevity, but maybe if he needs surgery to repair a labrum they can give him enough to recover without too much significant damage in the off season
These users thanked the author ImportAggie for the post:
trevordude

Chatman

Post by Chatman » March 15th, 2024, 7:55 am

Really hurts the team defensively not having him in there.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 15th, 2024, 8:07 am

Chatman wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 7:55 am
He's also our most aggressive penetrator in the paint.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 15th, 2024, 9:53 am

Huge blow to not have Mason. I love how this team always find a way to win but my enthusiasm has been tempered all year by our lack of depth. It can bite you in so many ways - fatigue, foul trouble, off night shooting, and obviously an injury. Mason is a guy who does whatever the situation calls for.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 15th, 2024, 10:24 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 8:07 am
Chatman wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 7:55 am
He's also our most aggressive penetrator in the paint.
Must...not...make.....off-colored..joke....must not....
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 7):
Bigger_Blue_Aggiehipsterdoofus21Real Life AggieStanfordAggieAgezzzHomeTownFloridaAggie13

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 15th, 2024, 10:26 am

He's a game time decision today

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 15th, 2024, 11:00 am

I think at this stage we just rest him for the NCAA's.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
Aggies1888Bigger_Blue_Aggie

Bigger_Blue_Aggie

Post by Bigger_Blue_Aggie » March 15th, 2024, 11:15 am

Sl7vk wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 11:00 am
I agree with this rest him! We are going to need all of our firepower for the dance.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2024, 11:16 am

Sl7vk wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 11:00 am
Agreed, winning the MWCT would be awesome as it would likely seal up a 5 seed but having him ready to go for the NCAAT would be most important.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Bigger_Blue_Aggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2024, 11:26 am

ImportAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 6:41 am
I am not a doctor or medical professional and 1000% talking out my (I can't express myself without swearing) here, mostly.

Or rotator cuff. I noticed at the New Mexico game they snuck him back to the locker room after tweaking it mid game. It looked partially out, and like it was a sitting really low in his joint like it’s really loosened up. And the time I figured it was anatomically, and probably is.

If there’s any weight to my speculation — He was probably able to come back in vs New Mexico because with dislocation injuries like that you’re usually fine mobility wise until you stop moving it, then the swelling sets in and you stiffen up like a board (from personal experience with labrum tear as well as constant knee dislocations in high school). You lose all mobility and it’s super painful trying to loosen it up for around a week. Which adds up as someone else pointed out in another thread that now he’s even high fiving guys with his left (could just be over cautious advice from trainers)

I hope I’m wrong tho. He can definitely play with the injury in a week if they get the joint swelling down but if its loose enough it’ll just keep popping out, partially or maybe even fully depending. At which point you can maybe hit him with a steroid shot and send him out next game in the tourney, but that’s a huge risk in my opinion. Those steroid shots Can deteriorate your soft tissue and weaken bone so if I was him or his coaches I wouldn’t for his longevity, but maybe if he needs surgery to repair a labrum they can give him enough to recover without too much significant damage in the off season
Watching him come off the court holding his shoulder I was thinking he had an AC joint injury and that's why the uneven appearance to his shoulders. Otherwise a rotator cuff tear he'd already be declared out for the season. I guess I could see a torn labrum being a possibility but again, I think he'd be out for the season. I would think they would've done the MRI already to rule out any tears.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Aggie84025

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 15th, 2024, 12:33 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 11:26 am
ImportAggie wrote:

Watching him come off the court holding his shoulder I was thinking he had an AC joint injury and that's why the uneven appearance to his shoulders. Otherwise a rotator cuff tear he'd already be declared out for the season. I guess I could see a torn labrum being a possibility but again, I think he'd be out for the season. I would think they would've done the MRI already to rule out any tears.
I think you nailed it. He even had the bump on the top of his shoulder (which could also be anatomical) but I remember it looking very red and prominent. And a fall injury makes way more sense

I’ve known some guys who played through minor labrum and rotator cuff tears short term ( or idiots like me who fully tore their labrum 10 years ago and never got it repaired ) but I don’t think that’d be advisable for a star player, to your point, and probably rule out for the season

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2024, 1:09 pm

ImportAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 12:33 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 11:26 am
ImportAggie wrote:

I think you nailed it. He even had the bump on the top of his shoulder (which could also be anatomical) but I remember it looking very red and prominent. And a fall injury makes way more sense

I’ve known some guys who played through minor labrum and rotator cuff tears short term ( or idiots like me who fully tore their labrum 10 years ago and never got it repaired ) but I don’t think that’d be advisable for a star player, to your point, and probably rule out for the season
Dang, you're tougher than me. I could never have played through that pain. As for Falslev, let's hope he did get an MRI, but with the tournament I guess it's possible they left town before it could get done.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 15th, 2024, 3:11 pm

I do know when I once fell and broke my elbow, I walked around thinking I was fine and just had the scars on the other arm. But then I googled and found an article that basically said that when you get hurt, you can sometimes think you are fine at the moment cause you have so much adrenaline WANTING to be OK, but then it eventually wares off, and that story sounded exactly like my situation, having the adrenaline before it wares off. And I am not a guy depended on to play in a division 1 basketball game like Mason is.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 15th, 2024, 6:07 pm

He might be out for the season and they are keeping it quiet.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 15th, 2024, 6:14 pm

I'd be shocked to see him back this week, and frankly don't think we'll see him in the NCAA Tournament.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » March 15th, 2024, 6:17 pm

He might play and they are keeping it quiet

🫰

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamsley

Post by wamsley » March 15th, 2024, 6:31 pm

He is playing. Bovee just announced it.
These users thanked the author wamsley for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 15th, 2024, 6:31 pm

wamsley wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 6:31 pm
...for now :)
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
wamsley

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

wamsley

Post by wamsley » March 15th, 2024, 6:38 pm

ViAggie wrote:
wamsley wrote:
...for now :)
Also true.

Rawbirds

Post by Rawbirds » March 15th, 2024, 6:44 pm

He’s dressed on the court going through team stretches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N8boz

Post by N8boz » March 15th, 2024, 6:56 pm

He's tough. Even if it hurts, he'd just say he's fine.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2024, 6:58 pm

wamsley wrote:
Bovee announced it?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
ljdent

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 15th, 2024, 6:59 pm

Twitter says he's dressed and going through warmups. I imagine if he's dressed, he'll play.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ljdent

Post by ljdent » March 15th, 2024, 7:01 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 6:58 pm
wamsley wrote:
Bovee announced it?
He asked mason if he’d play and mason told him yes.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2024, 7:01 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 6:59 pm
Twitter says he's dressed and going through warmups. I imagine if he's dressed, he'll play.
We must have found the soccer spray.

AggieIceCream05

Post by AggieIceCream05 » March 15th, 2024, 7:10 pm

If Mason worsens his injury, I swear to God. We need him for the NCAA tournament! Who cares if we lose to SDSU? If we lose tonight we will be a 6-7 seed in the tournament.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 15th, 2024, 7:19 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 6:58 pm
wamsley wrote:
Bovee announced it?
Yes. Bovee announced it at the pre-game alumni event. Which was a great event by the way.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 15th, 2024, 7:32 pm

He's is in starting lineup.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 15th, 2024, 11:29 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 7:32 pm
He's is in starting lineup.
Played well when he was in. Don't know why Jackson played in crunch time instead of him. It was painful to watch.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 15th, 2024, 11:30 pm

He is now

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2024, 11:54 pm

Props to Mason for playing. He was awesome in the first half. You could tell he was in pain in the 2nd half. Hopefully he will be ready for Thursday or Friday.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic