Biggest mistake

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ImportAggie

Re: Biggest mistake

Post by ImportAggie » March 16th, 2024, 10:36 am

Harcher wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 3:50 am
I too wished for Osobor to come back earlier. But that is a risk decision. And the risk to keep him out for a while didn’t pay.

What I did see,that I thought was the “biggest thing” was after SDSU timeout being down 17, they came back in with a physical play that dominated the Aggies and that never let up. SDSU has more physical players (size and quantity)We all know that and we use them as a reference point when describing our recruits physically: “max is big like SDSU players “.

In Logan, with Specrum Magic, much of that physical play gets mitigated for two reasons. First, our Aggies get emotional boost and opposition gets deflated by the energy. Second, the refs don’t allow as much physical one-sidedness, because they are also affected by the crowd.

SDSU is bigger and stronger than us at every position. Even our GREATest player is not bigger than LeDee.

On TV they put up stat that SDSU is #1 defense in conference every year since 2017 (except 1 year IIRC). That is because they physically dominate.

Against UNM in last game of season, the Lobo game plan was “athletic guard goes to the hole, Lobo guard gets fouled or Lobo forward gets offensive rebound “. SDSU used that same strategy tonight.

One Aggie played a lot this game because he tried to fight back: Templin. I was impressed with his effort.

Brute force skills are ideal in playoff/tournament settings. (Jazz fans of last decade saw this ). I think the top physical-skill teams in MWC, are in order: SDSU, UNLV, UNM. So not surprised by championship matchup.

One other factor I’ve thought about but would like your opinion is this: do the Aggies become dependent on Spectrum Magic and does this play into our tournament record? In other thread it has been pointed out that we do have good road record this year…. But we’ve had very good end-game luck this year….
I really really really like Templin. I wish we could’ve seen more development out of him this year, and more minutes in games. He has the athleticism and talent, but also has that hustle and heart factor like Mason.

I know he definitely looked unpolished at times, and made some mental mistakes, but I don’t think anymore than Sakho has. Clearly Sprinkle can recruit and develop players with what he’s done this year, but Templin might be the biggest missed opportunity this year.

Would love to know others thoughts. It’s very possible DS saw things in practice I clearly don’t and can’t from section X at the spectrum
These users thanked the author ImportAggie for the post:
usutexan

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » March 16th, 2024, 10:49 am

Harcher wrote:One other question for those who were in person: how were the non partisan fans for this game cheering? It was noted in previous thread that the overall crowd was cheering for Fresno against Aggies, which makes sense

Any bias for or against the Aggies?
In the second half they swung to SDSU. I think SDSU had more fans in general. With NM playing after us it might have been just the two teams wearing red. By the end SDSU fans were pretty loud.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author pilotaggie for the post:
Harcher

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » March 16th, 2024, 1:28 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 10:49 am
Harcher wrote:One other question for those who were in person: how were the non partisan fans for this game cheering? It was noted in previous thread that the overall crowd was cheering for Fresno against Aggies, which makes sense

Any bias for or against the Aggies?
In the second half they swung to SDSU. I think SDSU had more fans in general. With NM playing after us it might have been just the two teams wearing red. By the end SDSU fans were pretty loud.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
I’m not sure any team this year has benefitted from other teams fans. Last year it seemed like more teams fans chose sides.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 16th, 2024, 4:52 pm

Honestly our fans were awesome when there was something to cheer about.. which became less and less as the game went on.

The decision to play hack a whomever also took the fans completely out of it. What a bizarre decision.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
trevordude

jazzdog56466

Post by jazzdog56466 » March 16th, 2024, 9:17 pm

MahlerFan1 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 10:14 pm
No choice after that foul.

Yes, there is a choice.

jazzdog56466

Post by jazzdog56466 » March 16th, 2024, 9:22 pm

MahlerFan1 wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 11:33 pm
NEAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 11:20 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 10:26 pm
Danny had a choice. Risk a 3rd Osobor foul or risk giving up a 17 pt lead. He chose giving up the 17 pt lead and subsequently the game.

Nobody's perfect, but this game wasn't his finest moment.
So essentially Danny ensured Great was “fouled out” for the last 7 minutes of the first half.
Again, we still had a lead at the half. This is all irrelevant if you don't utterly stink up the joint in the second half.

Irrelevant? The entire air was sucked out of the building and our team. The game was lost when Danny refused to put Mason and great back in. He let a 17 point lead get cut to 3 in a very little amount of time.

Momentum matters. Everyone in the building could see what was happening except for our coaching staff, apparently.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 16th, 2024, 9:34 pm

jazzdog56466 wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 9:22 pm
MahlerFan1 wrote:
NEAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Danny had a choice. Risk a 3rd Osobor foul or risk giving up a 17 pt lead. He chose giving up the 17 pt lead and subsequently the game.

So essentially Danny ensured Great was “fouled out” for the last 7 minutes of the first half.
Again, we still had a lead at the half. This is all irrelevant if you don't utterly stink up the joint in the second half.

Irrelevant? The entire air was sucked out of the building and our team. The game was lost when Danny refused to put Mason and great back in. He let a 17 point lead get cut to 3 in a very little amount of time.

Momentum matters. Everyone in the building could see what was happening except for our coaching staff, apparently.
Yep when they cut it to three at half half I pretty much thought it was game over just due to the momentum swing that had happened. Maybe the Aztecs would have came back but I would have taken my chances of keeping great and Mason in the game for most of that time.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 16th, 2024, 9:44 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 9:34 pm
jazzdog56466 wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 9:22 pm
MahlerFan1 wrote:
NEAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Yep when they cut it to three at half half I pretty much thought it was game over just due to the momentum swing that had happened. Maybe the Aztecs would have came back but I would have taken my chances of keeping great and Mason in the game for most of that time.
I was thinking the exact same thing. The dagger when Trammell hit a bucket right before half just like he did against UnLV.

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » March 16th, 2024, 9:49 pm

I don’t think Sprinkle sitting or playing Great in the first half, or calling or not calling a timeout at a certain time, would have changed the outcome of the game. They dug deep and we couldn’t match up.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 16th, 2024, 9:59 pm

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 9:49 pm
I don’t think Sprinkle sitting or playing Great in the first half, or calling or not calling a timeout at a certain time, would have changed the outcome of the game. They dug deep and we couldn’t match up.
You likely aren’t wrong but we will never know but a combination of a few of these things (getting GO back in the game, calling a few more time outs, getting Mason back in and NOT playing hack a Shaq with 3 plus mins to go) might have kept us in the game and/or given us a chance to win at the end. It was a weirdly coached game.

On the other hand, Dutch put Ledee back in with 2 fouls and it basically changed the course of the entire game. Maybe it could have done the same for us. Who knows, bottom line is it wasn’t a great night for Sprinkle. Hopefully, he learns and is better next time.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
WannabeAgAlum

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 16th, 2024, 10:11 pm

One thing that's ironic regarding fans is that while power 5 teams can sound like worse matchups, we would be more likely to get the non-partisan fans behind us. Playing someone like James Madison or Drake would likely make it a de facto road game with the majority of the fans being behind them cause their lower seed.

columbusaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by columbusaggie » March 17th, 2024, 11:35 am

I thought it was a good idea for Sprinkle to use that as a teaching moment. You play with discipline or you don’t play. They are going to need that discipline in the dance if they want to win.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic