We got screwed!!!!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
918AGG

Re: We got screwed!!!!

Post by 918AGG » March 17th, 2024, 5:16 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 5:00 pm
918AGG wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 4:54 pm
Yes, our 23 years of a lack of tournament results really do warrant a 4-seed.

Win or shut up.
Past years of success or lack thereof shouldn’t matter. But apparently they did for this collection of dumbasses.
Really? We don’t get the luxury of existing in a vacuum.

So what’s the point of winning, improving your brand, funding NIL, keeping talent, improving existing talent, and keeping a winning culture?

Houston, UNC, UCONN, and Purdue are all one seeds in part because they’re having great years, but also in part because they are the least likely teams to make the committee look like idiots.

I don’t blame an allegedly non-biased committee for looking at the SDSU brand and seeing “WINNERS” and then looking at the USU brand and seeing “CRAP TOURNAMENT PLAY.”

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 17th, 2024, 5:22 pm

918AGG wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 5:16 pm
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
918AGG wrote:

Win or shut up.
Past years of success or lack thereof shouldn’t matter. But apparently they did for this collection of dumbasses.

So what’s the point of winning, improving your brand, funding NIL, keeping talent, improving existing talent, and keeping a winning culture?

Houston, UNC, UCONN, and Purdue are all one seeds in part because they’re having great years, but also in part because they are the least likely teams to make the committee look like idiots.

I don’t blame an allegedly non-biased committee for looking at the SDSU brand and seeing “WINNERS” and then looking at the USU brand and seeing “CRAP TOURNAMENT PLAY.”
Purdue, oh okay???LOL
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post (total 2):
918AGGMetsJetsAggies

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 17th, 2024, 5:23 pm

Mw objectively got screwed on seeding outside of sdsu

New Mexico is favored as an 11 over a 6 and wouldn’t have even been in the field if they didn’t run the mwt

Nevada favored as a 10 over a 7, 2 teams as play ins after everyone in the world had them safely in.

We don’t deserve much but we won a 6 bid conference and sdsu got a 5 seed so id think we should’ve at least gotten a 6, maybe over the team who is underdogs to NM?
Last edited by MetsJetsAggies on March 17th, 2024, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post (total 6):
ChowderAggieFoolonthehillaggies22blueaggieAggieFBObsessionEngineeringAggie

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 17th, 2024, 5:23 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 5:22 pm
918AGG wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
918AGG wrote:

Win or shut up.

Purdue, oh okay???LOL
Solid point. I should have left them out to improve my argument. ;)

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » March 17th, 2024, 5:26 pm

918AGG wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
918AGG wrote:

Win or shut up.

Tournament seeding should be about body of work THAT YEAR.

But if we’re worrying about past tournament performance let’s put UCLA in every year just because they’re UCLA. I mean they did win a bunch of championships in a row before.

And why would anyone care about the committees looking like idiots before. That’s their problem and shouldn’t affect THIS YEAR!

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 17th, 2024, 5:28 pm

Just Win.

If we got a 7 seed we would possibly be playing a MW team at 10.

We are already making excuses, sad.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 17th, 2024, 5:31 pm

918AGG wrote:

Win or shut up.
Is the tournament about what teams have done in past tournaments or what they've done this season?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 17th, 2024, 5:36 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 5:31 pm
918AGG wrote:

Win or shut up.
Is the tournament about what teams have done in past tournaments or what they've done this season?
It sure didn’t help the MWC to have SDSU place 2nd in the tournament.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 17th, 2024, 5:41 pm

What a joke. A committee chair just said they look at every game evenly. From the games at the beginning until the games at the end. I would like him to explain how Creighton got a 3 seed when they got blown out of the gym against CSU and UNLV.
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 17th, 2024, 5:43 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 5:26 pm
918AGG wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
918AGG wrote:

Win or shut up.

But if we’re worrying about past tournament performance let’s put UCLA in every year just because they’re UCLA. I mean they did win a bunch of championships in a row before.

And why would anyone care about the committees looking like idiots before. That’s their problem and shouldn’t affect THIS YEAR!
I actually agree that UCLA should automatically be in every year.

I find it incredibly rich that “we got screwed” is coming from a fan base that is so obviously aware of its own tournament shortcomings. Win a solitary tournament game in 20 years, and I’ll be glad to change my mind.

In the meantime, let’s all deal with the hilarious reality that we stumbled down the stretch, got kicked in the crotch by a totally irrelevant Fresno team, looked as deep as a kiddie pool against SDSU, and we’re now sharting our pants about having to face a middle-of-the-pack Big12 team that’s heavily favored by Vegas and by all relevant metrics (unless I’m missing something).

We got what we deserve. Now go win (or sit around, make excuses, and then blame a more unbiased than we are committee).

I’m going to laugh my tail off when we blame this loss on the refs.

I know it’s hard to fathom, but nobody has it out for us - we aren’t relevant enough for anybody to have it out for us - we just flat out, undeniably suck in the tournament.

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » March 17th, 2024, 5:46 pm

918AGG wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 5:43 pm
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
918AGG wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
918AGG wrote:

Win or shut up.

I find it incredibly rich that “we got screwed” is coming from a fan base that is so obviously aware of its own tournament shortcomings. Win a solitary tournament game in 20 years, and I’ll be glad to change my mind.

In the meantime, let’s all deal with the hilarious reality that we stumbled down the stretch, got kicked in the crotch by a totally irrelevant Fresno team, looked as deep as a kiddie pool against SDSU, and we’re now sharting our pants about having to face a middle-of-the-pack Big12 team that’s heavily favored by Vegas and by all relevant metrics (unless I’m missing something).

We got what we deserve. Now go win (or sit around, make excuses, and then blame a more unbiased than we are committee).

I know it’s hard to fathom, but nobody has it out for us - we aren’t relevant enough for anybody to have it out for us - we just flat out, undeniably suck in the tournament.
I didn't think you'd take the hyperbolic UCLA bait but that just shows our difference of opinion.

For the record, I'm not scared of TCU. Just feel that we got a raw deal and a poor chance to win more than one game.
These users thanked the author Section_L_Aggie for the post:
918AGG

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 17th, 2024, 5:51 pm

918AGG wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
918AGG wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
918AGG wrote:

Win or shut up.

That’s a bad argument. Not only is every year different- it is a begging the question fallacy.

We consistently get put in unfavorable matchups when we potentially deserve better matchups. The problem is with the matchups we’re given. That’s why we haven’t won a tourney game in over 20 years. I think this is only the 2nd game in that span we had a seeding better than our opponent.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 3):
Section_L_AggieAggieFBObsessionEngineeringAggie

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 17th, 2024, 5:57 pm

918AGG wrote:Yes, our 23 years of a lack of tournament results really do warrant a 4-seed.

Win or shut up.
I’m glad some of those points scored in SDSU’s run last year got applied to those close games this season, pushed them over the top to avoid a loss. It’s nice having those points saved up that you can use from season to season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 2):
Section_L_Aggieblueaggie

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 17th, 2024, 5:57 pm

We got screwed even more when you consider Scott Barnes is on the committee and apparently didn’t stand up for the program that employed him for almost a decade.
These users thanked the author aggiesdotcom for the post (total 2):
blueaggieAggieFBObsession

cval

Post by cval » March 17th, 2024, 7:52 pm

College Basketball is a bunch of new teams and players every year. The fact that we didn’t win in the tournament years ago has nothing to do with this team.

Those of you using “win a tournament game then talk to me about seeding” argument are completely disrespecting this team. Why should they be punished because teams years ago didn’t win.

Terrible argument.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 4):
Section_L_Aggieblueaggie3rdGenAggieAggieFBObsession

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 17th, 2024, 8:25 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 4:30 pm
Our seed is probably fair-ish. But the MWC got hosed. We will see where UNM falls and if UNR is even in at this point.
No need to fall on your sword. We got jobbed.

#hornsup!

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 17th, 2024, 8:38 pm

With all apologies to StanfordAggie, I am going to keep beating the Michigan State drum until the cows come home.

Michigan State hasn't won a Q1 game since Feb 10, and the one before that was on Dec 30. They finished the season losing 5 out of 7 games. They got a 9 seed.

Infuriated is an understatements.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 8):
Section_L_AggieSLBstwinwardblueaggieaggies22FloridaAggie13AggieFBObsessionEngineeringAggie

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 17th, 2024, 8:42 pm

And some explain to me how Gonzaga gets favorable seeds on off years… unless it’s cause of their past years play and recognition. They say it’s based on this year and they try but they are humans and have subconscious biases
These users thanked the author kofdog for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieAggieFBObsession

SLB

Post by SLB » March 17th, 2024, 8:49 pm

jpswensen wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 8:38 pm
With all apologies to StanfordAggie, I am going to keep beating the Michigan State drum until the cows come home.

Michigan State hasn't won a Q1 game since Feb 10, and the one before that was on Dec 30. They finished the season losing 5 out of 7 games. They got a 9 seed.

Infuriated is an understatements.
Stuff like this is why I posted the bracket and questioned it.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 17th, 2024, 9:30 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 8:25 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
Our seed is probably fair-ish. But the MWC got hosed. We will see where UNM falls and if UNR is even in at this point.
No need to fall on your sword. We got jobbed.
I mean people on here were saying after the SDSU loss we probably fell to a 7 and I even heard 8 or 9.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Blue Sage

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 17th, 2024, 10:09 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 5:51 pm
918AGG wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
918AGG wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
918AGG wrote:

Win or shut up.

That’s a bad argument. Not only is every year different- it is a begging the question fallacy.

We consistently get put in unfavorable matchups when we potentially deserve better matchups. The problem is with the matchups we’re given. That’s why we haven’t won a tourney game in over 20 years. I think this is only the 2nd game in that span we had a seeding better than our opponent.
And we're the underdogs on the betting markets.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 18th, 2024, 7:11 am

If we are under seeded, say we should be a 6 instead of an 8, then shouldn’t we still be able to get past a 9 seed? I don’t even care that the winner of the 8/9 gets the 1 seed because we’ve lost our last 10 tournament games.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiFloridaAggie13

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 18th, 2024, 7:18 am

dyedblue wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 7:11 am
If we are under seeded, say we should be a 6 instead of an 8, then shouldn’t we still be able to get past a 9 seed? I don’t even care that the winner of the 8/9 gets the 1 seed because we’ve lost our last 10 tournament games.
Yes we should beat TCU. If we can't beat a 9seed who didn't have a winning record in their conference, we don't deserve to complain.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13AggieFBObsession

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 18th, 2024, 8:34 am

blueaggie wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 5:41 pm
What a joke. A committee chair just said they look at every game evenly. From the games at the beginning until the games at the end. I would like him to explain how Creighton got a 3 seed when they got blown out of the gym against CSU and UNLV.
That save committee chair also said that the MWC was supposedly punished for not playing good teams or of conference.

This tweet statements are utterly at odds with each other. Clearly good wins later were depreciated by the committee
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionBlue Sage

My side projects:

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 18th, 2024, 9:11 am

I personally don’t understand the rankings this year at all, with how things shook out we probably *should* have been higher, but we are more than deserving of an 8. In fact just looking at our schedule/results an 8 is generous. We got some serious luck wins, and didn’t beat anyone great OOC. We were a Darius Brown Hail Mary away from losing to Fresno. And they then took us to OT in the conf tournament.

Does the draw suck? Sure. But we just need to win. The conference as a whole needs to win
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 2):
stwinward88USUAggie

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 18th, 2024, 10:25 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
I liked this tweet. The bracket matrix averages were within 1.29 for every teams in the country except 5 of the 6 MWC teams, which were off by 1.6-3.08. That seem a long ways from "fair-ish", and actually cries bias on a level that is atrocious.

"Fair-ish" would have been that a bunch of mid-majors saw themselves underperform the bracket matrix, or that the quantity experiences across the board was off by similar values.

Instead, nearly the entire conference was punished by far more that all other teams, and by a significant margin. This is not "fair-ish".

These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 4):
aggies22AggieFBObsessionEngineeringAggietysteve20

My side projects:

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 18th, 2024, 11:00 am

jpswensen wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 10:25 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
I liked this tweet. The bracket matrix averages were within 1.29 for every teams in the country except 5 of the 6 MWC teams, which were off by 1.6-3.08. That seem a long ways from "fair-ish", and actually cries bias on a level that is atrocious.

"Fair-ish" would have been that a bunch of mid-majors saw themselves underperform the bracket matrix, or that the quantity experiences across the board was off by similar values.

Instead, nearly the entire conference was punished by far more that all other teams, and by a significant margin. This is not "fair-ish".

Holy crap! That sure paints a picture!

88USUAggie

Post by 88USUAggie » March 18th, 2024, 11:01 am

Blitz79 wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 4:37 pm
Man, all you have to do is win. It's the tournament and MW teams are getting paired with middle of the pack P5 schools. We either win or shut up.
Exactly...my buddies back east can't believe the MW got 6 teams in the tourny. They are in utter disbelief that what they see as a mediocre conference that plays a weak out of conference schedule was awarded 6 slots. A little perspective goes a long way. There are a ton of teams that would love a shot at TCU, but we are the ones who earned that chance.

Like previously said, win or whine.
These users thanked the author 88USUAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » March 18th, 2024, 11:04 am

The last time we were an 8, we got our butts kicked and looked like a 16. We failed to show up and if we don't this time, we will all have to lick our wounds and try again. THe whole MWC is going to be watched by commentators under a microscope. Lose and the comments will NEVER end.
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post:
Aggie84025

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 18th, 2024, 11:20 am

WAAggie wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 11:04 am
The last time we were an 8, we got our butts kicked and looked like a 16. We failed to show up and if we don't this time, we will all have to lick our wounds and try again. THe whole MWC is going to be watched by commentators under a microscope. Lose and the comments will NEVER end.
If the MWC wins 3 games in the first4/first round then I would call that success given the seeds that were given. If only 1 gets out of the first round the conference will have been humiliated.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
BigBlueDart

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 18th, 2024, 12:45 pm

In a way it's our own fault for not scheduling any P5s in non conference. Also, we need to find a way to get into more prestigious mid season tournaments.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 18th, 2024, 12:47 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 12:45 pm
In a way it's our own fault for not scheduling any P5s in non conference. Also, we need to find a way to get into more prestigious mid season tournaments.
Yeah because the P5's are just lining up to play us. Their argument is that we don't play anyone but when we call them up and ask for a game they say hell no. A better tournament would definitely help but in a year when you're projected to be the 9th best team in your conference you aren't going to get an invite to one of those events.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 4):
AngusAgjpswensenstwinwardEngineeringAggie

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 18th, 2024, 2:07 pm

Ahbye wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 4:37 pm
I'd have rather been Nevada playing Dayton in SLC.
I would have much rather played Virginia in Dayton and then had a 10 seed vs. Texas.

But that being said, are we really going to cry about getting seeded against the 8th place team in the Big 12?? If the MW is as strong as we want to believe it is, then the outright champion should be able to beat the 8th place Big 12 team. Let's just go and win!
These users thanked the author Rabidchild for the post (total 7):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAggie84025Bank ShotutaggiesReal Life AggieBlue SageFloridaAggie13

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

cval

Post by cval » March 18th, 2024, 2:15 pm

WAAggie wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 11:04 am
How many guys from this team were on that team? How many coaches?

Why are these guys held accountable for something someone else did years ago?
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
FloridaAggie13

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 18th, 2024, 2:25 pm

For some reason I think NEVADA was in the elite 8 a few years ago, where's their respect?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic