Keys to beating TCU:

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieIceCream05

Keys to beating TCU:

Post by AggieIceCream05 » March 17th, 2024, 8:06 pm

1. Great Osobor NEEDS to make free throws. He will be a mismatch and he will get TCU into foul trouble.
2. Brown NEEDS to take more shots. He should take more shots than everyone except Great. When Brown is aggressive, we win games.
3. Limit turnovers. TCU likes to pressure, similar to SDSU.
4. We need to make at least seven 3-pointers. Teams that win in March, shoot the ball well.
5. Mason, Ian, or Josh needs to score at least 15 points. We need someone outside of Great and Darius to score the basketball.
6. Everyone NEEDS to box out! TCU swarms the glass, and if everyone doesn’t go in for defensive rebounds, we’ll be in trouble.

What are your thoughts?
These users thanked the author AggieIceCream05 for the post:
mcaggie1

Sl7vk

Re: Keys to beating TCU:

Post by Sl7vk » March 17th, 2024, 8:13 pm

My thoughts are that a late Friday game gives us and Mason more time to get healthy.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 5):
aggies22SLBAggieFBObsessionNEAggie918AGG

SLB

Post by SLB » March 17th, 2024, 8:21 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 8:13 pm
My thoughts are that a late Friday game gives us and Mason more time to get healthy.
This plus Nevada beat TCU. For the next round, Purdue would be the #1 seed team to beat.
Keep in mind about Purdue
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ue-gonzaga
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... st-gonzaga

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 17th, 2024, 8:34 pm

AggieIceCream05 wrote:1. Great Osobor NEEDS to make free throws. He will be a mismatch and he will get TCU into foul trouble.
2. Brown NEEDS to take more shots. He should take more shots than everyone except Great. When Brown is aggressive, we win games.
4. We need to make at least seven 3-pointers. Teams that win in March, shoot the ball well.
5. Mason, Ian, or Josh needs to score at least 15 points. We need someone outside of Great and Darius to score the basketball.
6. Everyone NEEDS to box out! TCU swarms the glass, and if everyone doesn’t go in for defensive rebounds, we’ll be in trouble.

What are your thoughts?
We shouldn't take a lot of 3s. We aren't good at it. But we need to make the ones we take. TCU has one of the worst 2 pt defenses in the country, so I assume we will go inside a lot and they will collapse a lot.

TCU does three things to win games. They cause turnovers, they rebound on offense, and they score in transition. They're longer than we are and they're going to rebound well on offense. They are not a good defensive rebounding team, probably because they're trying to get into transition. If we make our shots or get to the FT line they're going to lose their source for points.

Our two point fg defense is 302nd in the country. They take a lot of 2s and get to the rim. They'll really hurt us here. We have to stop that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » March 17th, 2024, 8:42 pm

I agree with your thoughts on rebounding, to me this will be the key to who wins the game. If we can stay relatively close in rebounding margin like when we beat SDSU. I think we win this game!

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 17th, 2024, 8:51 pm

What did Houston just do, do that on defense

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 17th, 2024, 9:02 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 8:34 pm
AggieIceCream05 wrote:1. Great Osobor NEEDS to make free throws. He will be a mismatch and he will get TCU into foul trouble.

What are your thoughts?
We shouldn't take a lot of 3s. We aren't good at it. But we need to make the ones we take. TCU has one of the worst 2 pt defenses in the country, so I assume we will go inside a lot and they will collapse a lot.

TCU does three things to win games. They cause turnovers, they rebound on offense, and they score in transition. They're longer than we are and they're going to rebound well on offense. They are not a good defensive rebounding team, probably because they're trying to get into transition. If we make our shots or get to the FT line they're going to lose their source for points.

Our two point fg defense is 302nd in the country. They take a lot of 2s and get to the rim. They'll really hurt us here. We have to stop that.

It doesn’t help that we switch on every screen and end up with Isaac or Great on a PG who can drive and dish or take a layup and leave us in bad position for rebound or that we have no zone besides a 1-3-1. Let’s see if we make some adjustments with the time we have
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post:
NEAggie

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » March 17th, 2024, 9:03 pm

Turnovers is another factor in their games. If we can keep them under 12 that gives us a great chance. 15 or more and they usually win those games. A healthy Mason would be great as well!

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » March 17th, 2024, 9:05 pm

Decided to review our losses for commonalities. You have some thing right, but it really boils down to defense and how we shoot.
AggieIceCream05 wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 8:06 pm
1. Great Osobor NEEDS to make free throws. He will be a mismatch and he will get TCU into foul trouble.
63.3 percent FT shooter is what he is. It will be in that range. He shot 8/11 against Bradley and we lost. He averaged just over 60 percent for all losses. Anything over that is a nice bonus, but I think there are bigger factors.

This one is a mixed bag. He needs to MAKE more shots, not necessarily take more. He averaged 11 shots in our losses, which is plenty, but only made 28 percent of them. Which is terrible.

3. Limit turnovers. TCU likes to pressure, similar to SDSU. Agreed, but TOs were a mixed bag in our losses, only in 3 of them did we have more than the opponent. In 2 we actually turned it over less and in one we tied.

4. We need to make at least seven 3-pointers. Teams that win in March, shoot the ball well. THIS is big, but I will say making them at a high rate (above 35 percent) is key. We averaged 25 percent from three in our losses. That is abysmal. And will be tough to overcome. Watch how we do here. It will be very telling. When we make 3s we win as it opens up the inside.

5. Mason, Ian, or Josh needs to score at least 15 points. We need someone outside of Great and Darius to score the basketball. Agreed.

6. Everyone NEEDS to box out! TCU swarms the glass, and if everyone doesn’t go in for defensive rebounds, we’ll be in trouble. We were out rebounded in every loss but one (the first New Mexico loss). So totally agree with you on this one. This is one of those "hustle and toughness" indicators.

What are your thoughts?
The other big thing is just shooting percentage in general. In losses the Aggies averaged 39.5 percent shooting from the field while giving up 49 percent. That ain't going to get it done. We did win games where we shot poorly, but we limited the other team to poor shooting as well. Can't have a 10 percent shooting differential and win many games.

Going to be a tough one, but if we want better seeds than 8, we need to start winning games like this. Let's GO AGGIES!
These users thanked the author BigBlueAggie for the post:
stwinward

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 17th, 2024, 9:14 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 9:05 pm
Decided to review our losses for commonalities. You have some thing right, but it really boils down to defense and how we shoot.
AggieIceCream05 wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 8:06 pm
63.3 percent FT shooter is what he is. It will be in that range. He shot 8/11 against Bradley and we lost. He averaged just over 60 percent for all losses. Anything over that is a nice bonus, but I think there are bigger factors.

This one is a mixed bag. He needs to MAKE more shots, not necessarily take more. He averaged 11 shots in our losses, which is plenty, but only made 28 percent of them. Which is terrible.

3. Limit turnovers. TCU likes to pressure, similar to SDSU. Agreed, but TOs were a mixed bag in our losses, only in 3 of them did we have more than the opponent. In 2 we actually turned it over less and in one we tied.

4. We need to make at least seven 3-pointers. Teams that win in March, shoot the ball well. THIS is big, but I will say making them at a high rate (above 35 percent) is key. We averaged 25 percent from three in our losses. That is abysmal. And will be tough to overcome. Watch how we do here. It will be very telling. When we make 3s we win as it opens up the inside.

5. Mason, Ian, or Josh needs to score at least 15 points. We need someone outside of Great and Darius to score the basketball. Agreed.

6. Everyone NEEDS to box out! TCU swarms the glass, and if everyone doesn’t go in for defensive rebounds, we’ll be in trouble. We were out rebounded in every loss but one (the first New Mexico loss). So totally agree with you on this one. This is one of those "hustle and toughness" indicators.

What are your thoughts?
The other big thing is just shooting percentage in general. In losses the Aggies averaged 39.5 percent shooting from the field while giving up 49 percent. That ain't going to get it done. We did win games where we shot poorly, but we limited the other team to poor shooting as well. Can't have a 10 percent shooting differential and win many games.

Going to be a tough one, but if we want better seeds than 8, we need to start winning games like this. Let's GO AGGIES!
We have to rebound and get transition points. They will crash the board and we have to make them pay. On flip side not turning it over or allowing 2nd chance points leading to easy points for them.

We really need to have some wrinkles on D I feel like we’ve been scouted and attacking our weaknesses the 2nd half of the year.
Last edited by SpectrumMagic on March 17th, 2024, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 17th, 2024, 9:16 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 9:02 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

What are your thoughts?

It doesn’t help that we switch on every screen and end up with Isaac or Great on a PG who can drive and dish or take a layup and leave us in bad position for rebound or that we have no zone besides a 1-3-1. Let’s see if we make some adjustments with the time we have
I wonder if this is something we mostly do because of brown and great? I noticed against SDSU when great went out and javon was in, the switch did not happen nearly as much as it usually does.

Where only sage brush grows

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » March 17th, 2024, 9:17 pm

SLB wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 8:21 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
This plus Nevada beat TCU. For the next round, Purdue would be the #1 seed team to beat.
I don’t give a crap about Purdue. If we win a single game I will run through the streets naked because the curse will have been lifted. I’ll think about the next game after we win the first.

Sorry… not trying to attack you. I just hope the team spends all of their effort and attention on TCU.
These users thanked the author EngineeringAggie for the post (total 2):
CedarAgAggie formerly in Hawaii

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » March 17th, 2024, 9:32 pm

Start by measuring the distance from the bankboard to the foul shot line and from the rim to the floor.

Do not play timid, do not play scared. Take control and play like you belong, because you do. And for heck's sake keep your best five on the floor as long as you can. After 40 min, add up the score and see how you did.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 17th, 2024, 9:32 pm

Didn’t you quit this site a few hours ago?
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 2):
ViAggieFloridaAggie13

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 17th, 2024, 10:09 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Houston and tcu both blitz the guard instead. Interesting video on it here

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 17th, 2024, 10:10 pm

AngusAg wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 9:32 pm
Start by measuring the distance from the bankboard to the foul shot line and from the rim to the floor.

Do not play timid, do not play scared. Take control and play like you belong, because you do. And for heck's sake keep your best five on the floor as long as you can. After 40 min, add up the score and see how you did.
This is a big one, no one should step on the court except our starters plus Josh and Sako in limited minutes. I wouldn’t even play Josh that much unless he's killing it, another guard is in foul trouble or Martinez is stinking it up.

Everyone needs to protect Great from getting foul calls. Also, I'd prefer an officiating crew from any conference outside of the B12, P12 or MWC.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 17th, 2024, 10:18 pm

Johnson has to be a factor not a liability.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 2):
aggies22ViAggie

Bigger_Blue_Aggie

Post by Bigger_Blue_Aggie » March 18th, 2024, 6:26 am

They need to dig down deep and find some grit. Play tough and confident.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » March 18th, 2024, 7:37 am

I’ll tell you the biggest key of all and it has nothing to do with X’s & O’s or the guys in purple. Act like we belong on the same floor as these guys and play like it. Don’t play timid and dig ourselves an 8 point hole in the first 5 minutes. Play loose and confident for once on the big stage. Will it happen? I doubt it. But that’s the key to winning in this tournament
These users thanked the author Aggiesbleedblue for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13trevordudeAggie84025

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 18th, 2024, 7:46 am

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 7:37 am
I’ll tell you the biggest key of all and it has nothing to do with X’s & O’s or the guys in purple. Act like we belong on the same floor as these guys and play like it. Don’t play timid and dig ourselves an 8 point hole in the first 5 minutes. Play loose and confident for once on the big stage. Will it happen? I doubt it. But that’s the key to winning in this tournament
This ^^
It seems like every year we make the tourney we start out timid as though we don't belong and spend the next 30 minutes trying to overcome a ten point deficit.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 18th, 2024, 8:20 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 7:46 am
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
This ^^
It seems like every year we make the tourney we start out timid as though we don't belong and spend the next 30 minutes trying to overcome a ten point deficit.
Yep. We beat Marquette if we didn't come out nervous
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 18th, 2024, 8:46 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 8:20 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 7:46 am
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
This ^^
Yep. We beat Marquette if we didn't come out nervous
Same with Kansas State.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 18th, 2024, 11:14 am

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
100% the key. Look at Mizzou last year we came out timid and lack luster and dug a hole. Great, Darius and Ian both played in the tourney last year. WHile Mason and Issacc did not play they were still at the tournament and are familiar with the process etc. Need to come out with guns blazing.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » March 18th, 2024, 11:58 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Supposedly the key metrics to winning in the tourney is being a good free throw shooting team, not a 3-point team. This plays well into our favor if Great can shoot over 70% from the line. So my keys to the game are:

1. Let Great be Great and get their best player in foul trouble.
2. Shoot over 70% from the line
3. TAKE CARE OF THE BALL
4. Only shoot open three-point shots.
5. Get defensive rebounds.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
Aggie84025

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 18th, 2024, 12:36 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 11:58 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Supposedly the key metrics to winning in the tourney is being a good free throw shooting team, not a 3-point team. This plays well into our favor if Great can shoot over 70% from the line. So my keys to the game are:

1. Let Great be Great and get their best player in foul trouble.
2. Shoot over 70% from the line
3. TAKE CARE OF THE BALL
4. Only shoot open three-point shots.
5. Get defensive rebounds.
Brown does seem to shoot better when there are <3 seconds on the clock and he has a hand in his face.

Where only sage brush grows

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 18th, 2024, 12:49 pm

Brown is the key. He has to control the tempo of the game and facilitate the offense into good shots. If Brown plays well we win.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 18th, 2024, 12:53 pm

brian5562 wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 12:49 pm
Brown is the key. He has to control the tempo of the game and facilitate the offense into good shots. If Brown plays well we win.
Agreed, the team also needs him to be aggressive at looking for his shot. He will need to score 15ish points for the Aggies to win IMO.

Aggie4L1fe

Keys to beating TCU:

Post by Aggie4L1fe » March 18th, 2024, 1:01 pm

They are going to try get great in foul trouble, he needs to be smart about things

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 18th, 2024, 1:19 pm

Aggie4L1fe wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 1:01 pm
They are going to try get great in foul trouble, he needs to be smart about things

Overall Great has been excellent about not getting in foul trouble. The SDSU game is the only one i recall where foul trouble was an issue for him. Hopefully that continues.

DreadPirateRoberts

Post by DreadPirateRoberts » March 18th, 2024, 2:38 pm

EngineeringAggie wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 9:17 pm
SLB wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 8:21 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
I don’t give a crap about Purdue. If we win a single game I will run through the streets naked because the curse will have been lifted. I’ll think about the next game after we win the first.

Sorry… not trying to attack you. I just hope the team spends all of their effort and attention on TCU.
Purdue might get upset. Everyone loves a Cinderella story.

The Dread Pirate Roberts leaves no survivors.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 18th, 2024, 2:51 pm

Great didn't really even get into foul trouble at SDSU, yes, he had a dumb foul but it was his second and I think he ended up with 3 in the game. We put him in foul trouble ourselves.

Also, I don't want to see Jackson or really anyone else taking step-back 20 foot jumpers with a hand in their face with 20 seconds still left on the shot clock.

Finally, I feel we have times when Great is tired and we don't try to go to him for a few possessions to give him a break and it kills our offense. I'm all for him getting break but pull him 15-20 feet from the basket, still pass it to him but let him look for cutters or at least pull his guy far enough out and tell Mason/Martinez to drive to the basket. Great doesn't need to shoot the ball every possession (but I think he should touch it somewhere) but the other team needs to think that he is going to get it and shoot to keep their big guy occupied and the double team thinking about it.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post:
NEAggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic