Sprinkle to Washington

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
utaggies

Re: Sprinkle to Washington

Post by utaggies » March 22nd, 2024, 1:07 pm

ususports wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 12:18 pm
Yossarian wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 11:37 am
I'm hearing it is a done deal. $4M per.

We'll wait to see if my source is correct.
Yossarian wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 11:42 am
Nothing is leaked or official yet
So you heard it is a done deal, but nothing is official yet. Don't those two things contradict each other?
No contradiction whatsoever. The administrative work and vetting would be happening behind the scenes at the University of Washington before any announcement is made. There will certainly be no official announcement until Sprinkle is done with this season. If you believe the wheels at UW (or any other school) won’t begin turning until USU gets bounced from the tourney you are mistaken.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 22nd, 2024, 1:09 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 12:26 pm
Read the thread (viewtopic.php?p=869265) from when we hired Sprinkle and you'll see that people outside aggies22 had good information. Some random twitter account with no followers tweeted that it was a done deal (and I did not believe it as credible at the time). Some other people had "heard" the same thing and that information ended up being correct. In fact, aggies22 spends much of the thread saying no decision had been made and that he "would be surprised" if Danny got the job, but reading that thread with hindsight, the decision was likely already made at that point (I don't blame 22 for that. I believe he was right about Odom and there were other threads with "sources" that were wrong as well, and it isn't fair to grade somebody with all the facts in hindsight since 22 was just reporting what he heard). 22 is going to be the most plugged in person to official sources I would guess, but that doesn't mean that other members don't have sources to those who would know as quickly as the official sources. There are 3-4 posters that I would believe as much as 22.

most importantly, you'll also see that @NVAggie shared his disdain for sprinkles on food even then.
It is true, my consistent abhorrence to sprinkles on anything, even donuts or cookies, remains intact.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 22nd, 2024, 1:12 pm

hickaggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 12:57 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 12:28 pm
ViAggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 12:24 pm
For what it's worth (take that for what it's worth), I'm not hearing this. That doesn't mean we're not losing Sprinkles at the end of this season though. I'm always suspicious of this kind of stuff getting "leaked" right before a big game/tournament, etc.; it's almost like it's meant to hurt us. And I'm not blaming anyone in this thread, but there are people out there, some who lurk here, who would like to hurt us for their gratification and it wouldn't surprise me to see them "leak" (make what seems like an easy prediction) something like this.

I could be wrong.
If Sprinkle wants to leave I couldn't care less anymore. Absolute bush league to let this issue fester for so long without signing a contract extension or another contract elsewhere. Part of me wishes the school could let him go and find someone else. Sprinkle lost a lot of my respect with all of this smoke surrounding him without smothering the issue or just leaving. We have assistants that can coach too in the interim.
What is absolutely Bush League is a major sports league with the money and fandom generated by Men's basketball and football doesn't have the power to enforce universal and uniform contract rules with coaches that prohibit all contact and interference with another school's coach until their championships are complete. If there was a hard and fast contractual rule in place where no one got an advantage by hiring early and there were teeth behind the tampering penalties none of this would happen.

The coach situation is only the tip of the iceberg with the NIL and transfer mess that is currently out of the NCAAs hands under current law but successful sports leagues can't operate long term like this.
I am confident that someone somewhere has taken note of your very valid concerns and at an appropriate time will raise their hands in a show of support.

ususports

Post by ususports » March 22nd, 2024, 1:14 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 12:27 pm
ususports wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Yossarian wrote:
So you heard it is a done deal, but nothing is official yet. Don't those two things contradict each other?
Not necessarily. I think it means it's done and agreed to behind the scenes, but not official (i.e., signed and public) until we are out of the tourney and they announce it. It's also possible that since it's not official, another candidate could come in (Pope) and undercut Sprinkle. If WA views Pope and Sprinkle as similar candidates, no reason they couldn't change course if Pope comes cheaper - especially if the AD that left was the guy leading the charge. All speculation by me on how all the info we're hearing on this board could all be true.
I understand what you are saying, but what you just described would imply it is not a done deal. It isn't done until it is signed. Not saying it won't be a done deal soon, but you can't say an unsigned contract is a done deal.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 22nd, 2024, 1:20 pm

Personally, I think Sprinkle has done a fine job with this. Maybe his buddy, Goodman?, jumped the gun a bit. He has been engaged on the sideline, and has stayed away from discussing this until after the season. What more can we ask of him?
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieInTucsonLarryTheAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 22nd, 2024, 1:21 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 12:30 pm
I just think the powers that be are trying to flush out moles with contradicting info to see where it leaks from. Anyone heard from Jimbo? Oddly quiet.
100% correct. You'd be surprised by who is behind some of this kind of behavior. Just to try and figure out who is talking to who.
Last edited by aggies22 on March 22nd, 2024, 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
thrashsoundlyFloridaAggie13EngineeringAggie

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 22nd, 2024, 1:23 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 1:21 pm
thrashsoundly wrote:
I just think the powers that be are trying to flush out moles with contradicting info to see where it leaks from. Anyone heard from Jimbo? Oddly quiet.
100% correct. You'd be surprised at who is behind some of kind of behavior. Just to try and figure out who is talking to who.
Sounds like when I was on Survivor
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 22nd, 2024, 1:23 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 12:28 pm
ViAggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 12:24 pm
For what it's worth (take that for what it's worth), I'm not hearing this. That doesn't mean we're not losing Sprinkles at the end of this season though. I'm always suspicious of this kind of stuff getting "leaked" right before a big game/tournament, etc.; it's almost like it's meant to hurt us. And I'm not blaming anyone in this thread, but there are people out there, some who lurk here, who would like to hurt us for their gratification and it wouldn't surprise me to see them "leak" (make what seems like an easy prediction) something like this.

I could be wrong.
If Sprinkle wants to leave I couldn't care less anymore. Absolute bush league to let this issue fester for so long without signing a contract extension or another contract elsewhere. Part of me wishes the school could let him go and find someone else. Sprinkle lost a lot of my respect with all of this smoke surrounding him without smothering the issue or just leaving. We have assistants that can coach too in the interim.
Ah, the Michael Scott strategy. Fire him before he can quit. I agree. Let’s fire him and pay the buyout real quick before he signs a massive contract at a P2 school. That’ll show him.

(I’m just messing with you, please don’t get defensive, I know what you meant)

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » March 22nd, 2024, 1:26 pm

It is better for us to pay him to leave than to enjoy the finder's fee from his next job.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 22nd, 2024, 1:36 pm

The Old Bull wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 1:06 pm
Yossarian wrote:
I’ve been hearing it’s official since February.. so have negotiations stalled?
Sup. Mark Pope wants the job bad and will undercut DS. I'll believe that when I see it, though.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bpd

Post by bpd » March 22nd, 2024, 1:45 pm

Washington is not looking for a sale. They are looking for a premium coach and they don’t care how much they have to pay.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
AngusAg

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 22nd, 2024, 1:50 pm

ususports wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 1:14 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
ususports wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Yossarian wrote:
Not necessarily. I think it means it's done and agreed to behind the scenes, but not official (i.e., signed and public) until we are out of the tourney and they announce it. It's also possible that since it's not official, another candidate could come in (Pope) and undercut Sprinkle. If WA views Pope and Sprinkle as similar candidates, no reason they couldn't change course if Pope comes cheaper - especially if the AD that left was the guy leading the charge. All speculation by me on how all the info we're hearing on this board could all be true.
I understand what you are saying, but what you just described would imply it is not a done deal. It isn't done until it is signed. Not saying it won't be a done deal soon, but you can't say an unsigned contract is a done deal.
You are correct. A deal is not a deal until the ink is dry. But if Washington or another team from a big-boy conference waves $4 million at Spinkle and quadruples his salary and those of his assistants do you believe for a moment that he would turn the job down? There is not a chance.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 22nd, 2024, 1:55 pm

bpd wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 1:45 pm
Washington is not looking for a sale. They are looking for a premium coach and they don’t care how much they have to pay.
Yeah I dont think undercutting means much at this level. If programs wanted to save money they wouldn't offer the type of contracts they do. If they want sprinkle more than they want pope, they'll pay more to get sprinkle.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 22nd, 2024, 2:03 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 1:55 pm
bpd wrote:
Yeah I dont think undercutting means much at this level. If programs wanted to save money they wouldn't offer the type of contracts they do. If they want sprinkle more than they want pope, they'll pay more to get sprinkle.
Is 0-3 in the NCAA tourney with one good MW year and 4 years coaching in the lowest level of D1 basketball really what passes as "premium" these days?

Give me the buyout money every day and twice on Sunday! I'd genuinely prefer a $3.5 million infusion of cash into the AD versus holding onto a coach for another year or two -- especially if we lose tonight.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
Zaggie07Aggie in BoiseUSUGrad01

ffr14

Post by ffr14 » March 22nd, 2024, 2:07 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Aren’t you leaking this if true?
These users thanked the author ffr14 for the post (total 2):
EngineeringAggieMrBiggle

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 22nd, 2024, 2:10 pm

How about a 10 million buyout clause for the next coach we hire.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 22nd, 2024, 2:12 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 2:03 pm
bpd wrote:
Is 0-3 in the NCAA tourney with one good MW year and 4 years coaching in the lowest level of D1 basketball really what passes as "premium" these days?

Give me the buyout money every day and twice on Sunday! I'd genuinely prefer a $3.5 million infusion of cash into the AD versus holding onto a coach for another year or two -- especially if we lose tonight.
Agree. I like Sprinkle, but honestly at this point I'm fine either way. If he leaves I'll miss any players he takes with him, but we should be able to get other players. This is the way things are now. I'm glad we are in a situation where we get cash rather than having a coach toward the end of a contract and we get little to nothing.
These users thanked the author Zaggie07 for the post:
Aggie in Boise

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » March 22nd, 2024, 2:16 pm

Moderators: Can we combine this with the other thread and maybe pin it toward the bottom of this forum, at least for the next couple of hours?! I'd love to focus on the game ahead, not on what might happen after the season ends.
These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post (total 2):
bigblue32ViAggie

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 22nd, 2024, 2:25 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
bpd wrote:

He hasn't gone 0-3 yet. We'll see what happens tonight. I personally would think sprinkle still needs to prove himself, but if Washington truly believes he is the guy they will pay for the guy more than paying less for someone they aren't as excited about

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » March 22nd, 2024, 2:29 pm

travelingagg wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 2:16 pm
Moderators: Can we combine this with the other thread and maybe pin it toward the bottom of this forum, at least for the next couple of hours?! I'd love to focus on the game ahead, not on what might happen after the season ends.
Focus on whatever you want.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 22nd, 2024, 2:30 pm

blueaggie wrote:How about a 10 million buyout clause for the next coach we hire.
You think we just arbitrarily choose our own buyout number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
BustaMcNutt

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 22nd, 2024, 2:32 pm

March 22nd, 2024, 2:25 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
bpd wrote:

He hasn't gone 0-3 yet. We'll see what happens tonight. I personally would think sprinkle still needs to prove himself, but if Washington truly believes he is the guy they will pay for the guy more than paying less for someone they aren't as excited about
Just give a few more hours. He'll be 0-3.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
SaintAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 22nd, 2024, 2:40 pm

ffr14 wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 2:07 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Aren’t you leaking this if true?
Nope. I have not seen a contract nor talked to the parties involved.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 22nd, 2024, 3:08 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 2:32 pm
March 22nd, 2024, 2:25 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
bpd wrote:

Just give a few more hours. He'll be 0-3.
The pessimism is strong in this one

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » March 22nd, 2024, 3:09 pm

Well, He is also a Kansas alum. It is to be expected.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 22nd, 2024, 3:18 pm

I just hope Sprinkle isn't just another in the growing list of coaches that ride the Spectrum to regular season success and another job only to fail in the postseason and leave is holding the bag.

I kind of expect that to be the case, though.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 22nd, 2024, 3:31 pm

NVAggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 1:20 pm
Personally, I think Sprinkle has done a fine job with this. Maybe his buddy, Goodman?, jumped the gun a bit. He has been engaged on the sideline, and has stayed away from discussing this until after the season. What more can we ask of him?
Quash the friggin' rumors, that's what.

bpd

Post by bpd » March 22nd, 2024, 3:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:
100% correct. You'd be surprised by who is behind some of this kind of behavior. Just to try and figure out who is talking to who.
Oh.... I don't know....maybe not have your team leak it in FEBRUARY! Don't blame Goodman. By the way, I think I saw 4 or 5 reporters have it in February.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionaggies22

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 22nd, 2024, 3:49 pm

I only believe information preceded by, “chooooochooooo!!!!”
These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAggieFBObsession

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 22nd, 2024, 3:50 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 3:49 pm
I only believe information preceded by, “chooooochooooo!!!!”
Yep if it doesn't come from midnight, I question it

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 22nd, 2024, 3:52 pm

utaggies wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 1:50 pm
ususports wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 1:14 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
ususports wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

But honestly what will he do with the money.
Yossarian wrote:
You are correct. A deal is not a deal until the ink is dry. But if Washington or another team from a big-boy conference waves $4 million at Spinkle and quadruples his salary and those of his assistants do you believe for a moment that he would turn the job down? There is not a chance.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 22nd, 2024, 4:05 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 3:31 pm
NVAggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 1:20 pm
Quash the friggin' rumors, that's what.
Can't really do that if they're true.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AggieMeister

Post by AggieMeister » March 22nd, 2024, 4:15 pm

This could turn out to be a successful business model for us.

Hire a coach, make the buyout as big as possible, the coach does really well, schools with more money than brains poach him,
pay us the buyout giving us the money to pay the next coach until he gets poached...lather rinse repeat.

We'll never have to pay any of our own actual money for a coach ever again.
These users thanked the author AggieMeister for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAggie in Boise

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 22nd, 2024, 5:00 pm

bpd wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 3:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:
Oh.... I don't know....maybe not have your team leak it in FEBRUARY! Don't blame Goodman. By the way, I think I saw 4 or 5 reporters have it in February.
I agree my Aggie brother. Leaks insinuating that your coach has already bailed is far from ideal.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Blue SageFloridaAggie13

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 22nd, 2024, 6:01 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 5:00 pm
bpd wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 3:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:
I agree my Aggie brother. Leaks insinuating that your coach has already bailed is far from ideal.
I’m going to keep believing the Sprinkle will return for another incredible year where he could build a championship team capable of making a deep tournament run while enjoying the best spectrum since Wild Bill!
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
bigblue32

#hornsup!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic