Sprinkle to Washington

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bpd

Re: Sprinkle to Washington

Post by bpd » March 23rd, 2024, 12:09 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 10:13 am
bpd wrote:
rAggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 1:47 am
My source, who I'm happy to disclose personally to anyone who actually knows me, says that UW now favors Kyle Smith, that Danny will still be targeted by other teams with openings, but there is a full court press on him to wait until next year when much better jobs potentially open. This would likely come with a higher salary for him and less punitive buyout.

I don't know if I believe it but people closer to the situation than me believe UW is out of play.
LOL. Yesterday it was Pope and now it is Smith. Tomorrow Caliparri.
What’s Trilly saying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Dusty May is going to Louisville.

On Washington, has not said much lately.

GUS

Post by GUS » March 23rd, 2024, 12:17 pm

Sprinkle is obviously looking around. Otherwise, there would have been an announcement that he has signed his new contract with USU. If he was staying, there would be no reason not to have signed the new contract.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessiontrevordudeapo

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 23rd, 2024, 12:26 pm

GUS wrote:Sprinkle is obviously looking around. Otherwise, there would have been an announcement that he has signed his new contract with USU. If he was staying, there would be no reason not to have signed the new contract.
Sprinkle isn’t “looking around”. Schools are calling Sprinkle and he’s listening.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 8):
Aggie84025Usu0505ViAggieflying_scotsman2.0MadmartiganbluegrousegomretatcdaAg

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 23rd, 2024, 12:33 pm

How don’t know how NIL works but this is where I wish a few very rich donors would step in and keep this team and hopefully coach together for next year. I understand we can’t compete yearly with bigger schools but could we potentially budget or somehow spend big when certain years could have a huge payoff?

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 12:38 pm

I think he truly is focused on the next game, and is not looking forward. I think when all is done, he will sit down and make a decision, along with focusing on trying to keep as many players as he can on board. He is not stupid, he sees the pieces, and knows that as good as we are this year, next year could be better. But he isn't focusing on that, he is focused on this game. He isn't letting the noise be a distraction to him, or his players. Rent is due, not just for his players, but for him too. He knows that, he accepts that, and he will work with that.
These users thanked the author BioAggie for the post (total 13):
ViAggieAggie84025Aggie formerly in Hawaiiflying_scotsman2.0bluegrouseFromLItoLoganvegasaggiegomretatSection_L_Aggiebigblue32 and 3 more users

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 3:26 pm

Re: buyouts keep in mind it is the agent negotiating not the coach, and the agent wants to negotiate the most favorable deal possible, and in the case of trying to extend Sprinkle, Sprinkle holds ALL the leverage.

The buyout will be larger by virtue of the contract but I said it could be less punitive as in its percentage of the total remaining contract decreases faster, for example. The coach will want to not have potential suitors handcuffed but an overly aggressive buyout, so it becomes a bargaining chip.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
aggies22

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 23rd, 2024, 4:39 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 10:51 am
EngineeringAggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 10:49 am
Are we saying that Sprinkle wouldn’t even sign his extension, but he would still stay here another year to wait for a better job and lower his buyout? There’s no way that new extension has a lower buyout, right?
I was told the new extension has a larger buyout. It would be foolish not to sign the extension and earn as much money as possible.
I imagine the buyout % are lower but since the contract value is higher, the buyout would still be higher.

Regardless, Sprinkle could run this back next year and make a special run and then get any job for any price he wants. Will be interesting to see what he decides

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 23rd, 2024, 4:54 pm

The only guarantee is signing an existing offer. Impossible to know what offers may come in the future... injuries, transfers, bad luck, etc.

If Danny decides to stay and if he can retain all key contributors, replacing Brown will be a tall order but it would be an attractive opportunity for a solid transfer, and this coaching staff has proven they can recruit.
Last edited by Pacobag on March 23rd, 2024, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoJo_Aggie

Post by SoJo_Aggie » March 23rd, 2024, 5:01 pm

He doesn’t want to sign the extension with us until we make the final four and the compensation package reflects that
These users thanked the author SoJo_Aggie for the post:
LarryTheAggie

You insulted my choice of beverage. As host and provider, I was offended by this.

USUGrad01

Post by USUGrad01 » March 23rd, 2024, 5:22 pm

BioAggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 12:38 pm
I think he truly is focused on the next game, and is not looking forward. I think when all is done, he will sit down and make a decision, along with focusing on trying to keep as many players as he can on board. He is not stupid, he sees the pieces, and knows that as good as we are this year, next year could be better. But he isn't focusing on that, he is focused on this game. He isn't letting the noise be a distraction to him, or his players. Rent is due, not just for his players, but for him too. He knows that, he accepts that, and he will work with that.
I disagree. I think he knows that this team way exceeded expectations and the ball bounced his way more times than not. He is also losing arguably his best player and isn’t sure that he can replace him. I think he knows that he hit the jackpot this year and that he needs to cash in while he can. This is no guarantee that will ever have this chance again. He is going to take a big contract somewhere. It won’t be here. I hate it, but it is exactly what anybody would do in his situation.

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 23rd, 2024, 5:38 pm

USUGrad01 wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 5:22 pm
BioAggie wrote:
I disagree. I think he knows that this team way exceeded expectations and the ball bounced his way more times than not. He is also losing arguably his best player and isn’t sure that he can replace him. I think he knows that he hit the jackpot this year and that he needs to cash in while he can. This is no guarantee that will ever have this chance again. He is going to take a big contract somewhere. It won’t be here. I hate it, but it is exactly what anybody would do in his situation.
Dusty May struck gold in 2023, making it to a Final Four. He decided to stay at FAU for 2024 because they returned every single key contributor and he believed he could do it again rather than trying to restart and poverty P5 program.

In 2024 Dusty May returned to the Big Dance as an overrated 8 seeded and lost to Northwestern handedly in overtime, however, even with the less than ideal 2024 season Dusty May’s possible landing spots actually IMPROVED (Michigan and Louisville are the two biggest going after May).

Give it another year Sprinkle and you could be at a blue blood-esque program and not rebuilding a horrible situation in Washington.
These users thanked the author BasketballAgg for the post (total 3):
aggies22AggieFBObsessionSaintAggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 23rd, 2024, 6:09 pm

FootballAgg wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 5:38 pm
USUGrad01 wrote:
BioAggie wrote:
Dusty May struck gold in 2023, making it to a Final Four. He decided to stay at FAU for 2024 because they returned every single key contributor and he believed he could do it again rather than trying to restart and poverty P5 program.

In 2024 Dusty May returned to the Big Dance as an overrated 8 seeded and lost to Northwestern handedly in overtime, however, even with the less than ideal 2024 season Dusty May’s possible landing spots actually IMPROVED (Michigan and Louisville are the two biggest going after May).

Give it another year Sprinkle and you could be at a blue blood-esque program and not rebuilding a horrible situation in Washington.
Just stay here forever. It’s a good place

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » March 23rd, 2024, 7:41 pm

FootballAgg wrote:
USUGrad01 wrote:
BioAggie wrote:

My sources (Apple Watch) are telling me Dusty May to Michigan confirmed.
These users thanked the author Aggs&Jazz12 for the post (total 3):
aggies22Aggie formerly in HawaiiJefferyBaird(DJJEFFERYB)

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 23rd, 2024, 7:53 pm

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 8:04 pm

SoJo_Aggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 5:01 pm
He doesn’t want to sign the extension with us until we make the final four and the compensation package reflects that
This. Why would he sign the extension before they are even done playing. It's all part of the negotiation. Even if he plans to stick around, he should absolutely wait to see how far the team goesmote. Value is higher today than it was yesterday. If he gets us to the sweet sixteen his value that he can demand goes up, if he gets us further than that it goes up more. Also it's the smart move to wait to see if he can get another offer.
Even if he plans to stay, It's all about getting the best deal possible, he won't get that until the team is done playing.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
bluegrousejackattack

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 23rd, 2024, 8:07 pm

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 7:41 pm
FootballAgg wrote:
USUGrad01 wrote:
BioAggie wrote:

My sources (Apple Watch) are telling me Dusty May to Michigan confirmed.
My sources (the guys on TNT) are saying it too.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 23rd, 2024, 8:53 pm

Pacobag wrote:The only guarantee is signing an existing offer. Impossible to know what offers may come in the future... injuries, transfers, bad luck, etc.

If Danny decides to stay and if he can retain all key contributors, replacing Brown will be a tall order but it would be an attractive opportunity for a solid transfer, and this coaching staff has proven they can recruit.
I’m sure he can find a good PG transfer to fill the position or even 2 to have some more depth. He also can look at filling in the depth we didn’t have this year or developing the depth with players we have or already coming in. He has a much easier job this season to schedule a strong OOC and make another run in the MWC to get a good seed for the NCAA. You don’t need to go anywhere else to do it. You have everything in place now.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 24th, 2024, 8:22 am

https://x.com/jonrothstein/status/17718 ... 25244?s=46

Not good news for the #StaySprinkle campaign.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 24th, 2024, 8:28 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 8:22 am

And if Washington was going to hire pope, they have now had 3 days to pull the trigger. Michigan hired may a day after fau was eliminated. Still seems like sprinkle is their #1 target
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on March 24th, 2024, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AggieFBObsession

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » March 24th, 2024, 8:28 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

If I'm Kyle Smith Im fighting like hell to get that Washington job. Stanford is and Cal are sinking ships in the ACC.
These users thanked the author FromLItoLogan for the post:
AggieFBObsession

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 24th, 2024, 8:32 am

I had hope that Danny wouldn’t leave but yeah if Pope was going to Washington it would be done and this Kyle Smith news just further cements it for me.

He’s gone 😓

Thanks Danny it was a magical year will miss this staff and team
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 24th, 2024, 8:55 am

My question is, who stays player-wise if Andy Hill gets hired?

If that allows us to hold onto Osobor, Falslev, Martinez, Johnson, Jackson, Max A., etc., I am “in” on that hire. Hell, if he can keep half those dudes I’d be in.

My guess is Great will follow Danny wherever, but everyone else seems “keepable.”
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
ImportAggie

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 24th, 2024, 9:09 am

FromLItoLogan wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 8:28 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

If I'm Kyle Smith Im fighting like hell to get that Washington job. Stanford is and Cal are sinking ships in the ACC.
You never know who's pushing these stories. Is it Smiths camp or Stanford?

I think the industry consensus was May was going to end up at Louisville but he chose Michigan. Oh and May received a 3.75MM/year contract. I won't be shocked if sprinkle leaves but I will be if he gets the 4MM/year that's been mentioned since that's more than May is getting.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 24th, 2024, 9:25 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

Doesn't mean he won't choose Washington.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 24th, 2024, 9:26 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 9:25 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Doesn't mean he won't choose Washington.
It probably isn't his to choose.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 24th, 2024, 10:11 am

GUS wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 12:17 pm
Sprinkle is obviously looking around. Otherwise, there would have been an announcement that he has signed his new contract with USU. If he was staying, there would be no reason not to have signed the new contract.

LEVERAGE with other interested schools for more money????? This delay could a negotiating tactic by his agent.

Also consider that Danny may have pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat this year at USU. No guarantees this will be duplicated next season. It would be nice though.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 24th, 2024, 10:37 am

The longer it takes to sign an extension and the longer it takes for Washington to get there guy, then the more likely Sprinkle will be in Washington next year. I'm just enjoying the ride for as long as I can.

I want to ensure everybody that USU will be in a good situation for another great coach. Don't let your heart be too troubled.

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 24th, 2024, 10:48 am

Just make it to the Final Four and bend Washington and Louisville arm into taking someone else.
These users thanked the author BasketballAgg for the post:
GameFAQSAggie

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 24th, 2024, 10:50 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 8:55 am
My question is, who stays player-wise if Andy Hill gets hired?

If that allows us to hold onto Osobor, Falslev, Martinez, Johnson, Jackson, Max A., etc., I am “in” on that hire. Hell, if he can keep half those dudes I’d be in.

My guess is Great will follow Danny wherever, but everyone else seems “keepable.”
Not every player on our roster would play as much on a Big 10, and if they do it’s not a good sign to the success of said team.

Just look at Utah.

Our team is really good but not all individual parts and pieces would thrive at a P6 school

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 24th, 2024, 11:24 am

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 24th, 2024, 11:30 am

Aggie702 wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 11:24 am

I thought he was preparing to coach a basketball game?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 24th, 2024, 11:33 am

Aggie702 wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 11:24 am

This reads to me that Danny is listening to other P5 landing spots, not necessarily looking to return to USU. Anyone reading that more optimistically?

And again, I totally get it. He’d be an idiot not to listen.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 24th, 2024, 11:39 am

https://x.com/mm_mbb_tv/status/1771952447977595380?s=46

He won a tourney game. Legend. Can go wherever he wants.

bpd

Post by bpd » March 24th, 2024, 11:48 am

Danny wants out of Logan.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 24th, 2024, 12:02 pm

bpd wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 11:48 am
Danny wants out of Logan.
I get it. For all aspects of life outside of basketball, Logan would be a really hard place for a single man in his 40s to live — particularly where he is not of the predominant religious persuasion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic