Sprinkle to Washington

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
jazzdog56466

Re: Sprinkle to Washington

Post by jazzdog56466 » March 24th, 2024, 6:47 pm

I don’t think smith or Odom improved their situation. Even with Utah throwing more money at craiggers, I wouldn’t have taken that job in his shoes.

I thought if we paid Danny 2 mil a year, and wash was 2.7-2.9…..then staying at USU would be the better job.

But if it’s 2 mil compared to 4—I get it.

No hard feelings on him going. I don’t think he will be overly successful, but don’t blame him for giving it a shot.

On to the next coach.
These users thanked the author jazzdog56466 for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionflying_scotsman2.0sam tingey

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 24th, 2024, 6:47 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 6:25 pm
JFW_AGGIES wrote:Geez…come on mods!! Some of these discussions need to be moved to the sandbox!!
Why? It is relevant conversation on the hiring of our next basketball coach. Grown up conversations are scary!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep not every conversation about cache valley culture needs to be moved to the sandbox. We are adults and can handle serious conversations

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 24th, 2024, 6:48 pm

rAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 6:44 pm
I don’t get the attitude of “you will regret this” guys. Sprinkle is built different. I would not bet against him getting to the highest levels of success in this sport. He spun gold out of nothing here this year and we should be thankful for it. It is like we got to date a super model for a year. We can dwell on her leaving us for another man or we can be pumped up that we spent a year with a super model and had some of the benefits that come with it.

We got a tourney win and will get about $3 million in buyout money to build the next stage of the program. Next coach up.
I don't hold any ill will against sprinkle. He is a really good coach. I just don't think he will elevate Washington to national contenders.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 24th, 2024, 6:51 pm

rAggie wrote:
I don’t get the attitude of “you will regret this” guys. Sprinkle is built different. I would not bet against him getting to the highest levels of success in this sport. He spun gold out of nothing here this year and we should be thankful for it. It is like we got to date a super model for a year. We can dwell on her leaving us for another man or we can be pumped up that we spent a year with a super model and had some of the benefits that come with it.

We got a tourney win and will get about $3 million in buyout money to build the next stage of the program. Next coach up.
You are missing the point. Coaches and players are very clear now - this is purely business. They're professionals. I'm going to treat them that way. I root for people to fail who rattle off a bunch of bullshyt about how important a supportive fanbase and winning culture are in the final decision, only to leave for a (I can't express myself without swearing) show program that was garbage in a trash conference. They're liars.

Just another reason I don't give a penny to these guys. Never have, never will. Anyone who does is a sucker.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
SaintAggieAggie in Boise

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » March 24th, 2024, 6:54 pm

rAggie wrote:

I loved this year and hope Sprinkle does well wherever he goes, but I find it harder and harder to get excited about next year. The chances of us getting lucky again with a brand new coach/team is small and if it takes 2-3 years to build back up with a new coach, they'll leave the second they have a decent season and not give a chance to take the 'next step'. Might as well not learn coaches and players names at this point. Like when Smith left, the cupboard was pretty bare and when Odom left it was even worse. Feels like the only chance to have a consistent team and coach is to perform badly.

I just don't see myself caring about college sports 5 years from now. Who knows though, maybe the best is yet to come.
These users thanked the author CastIronAggie for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13AggieFBObsessionflying_scotsman2.0

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 24th, 2024, 6:55 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 6:51 pm
rAggie wrote:

You are missing the point. Coaches and players are very clear now - this is purely business. They're professionals. I'm going to treat them that way. I root for people to fail who rattle off a bunch of bullshyt about how important a supportive fanbase and winning culture are in the final decision, only to leave for a (I can't express myself without swearing) show program that was garbage in a trash conference. They're liars.

Just another reason I don't give a penny to these guys. Never have, never will. Anyone who does is a sucker.
And you know what PT Barnum said about suckers... every minute. :joking:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 24th, 2024, 6:57 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 6:55 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 6:51 pm
rAggie wrote:

And you know what PT Barnum said about suckers... every minute. :joking:
The guy could sure sing though

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 24th, 2024, 7:01 pm

rAggie wrote:

He won’t ever see something like Aggie Nation. He has a tournament team coming back all to rebuild again. I lived in Green Bay for 8 years and Chicago for 10 years. He won’t have the same success in the Big 10 especially traveling from Seattle. Best of luck to him but a really bad decision if you are correct.
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionToastedFlakes52

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 24th, 2024, 7:03 pm

rAggie wrote:

That's the sprit! :thumbsup:

Honestly the way you put it is how I looked at it to, not only did you get to date a hot chick you had your way with her most nights and yea she's dumping you, but she's also writing you a check (all while claiming how boring you were), so the best thing to do is smile, grab the check and say thanks for the memories.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
StanfordAggie

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 24th, 2024, 7:05 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 5:02 pm
There is a big difference between us and BYU and Utah. BYU uses their Mormonism as a recruiting tool. Players know exactly what they are getting into by signing the honor code. They are also in the big 12 and have a ton of money. Utah is in SLC, a fairly major city that is much more diverse than Cache Valley. They are also Big 12 and have a ton of money. The culture in the valley may not be our biggest issue, but to pretend it doesn’t impact coaches staying and recruiting players is not the case.

The honor code is not an issue for athletes at BYU. BYU men's football and basketball players are exempt from the honor code unless the violations become public knowledge (e.g., pregnancy, felony, etc.) and then if that's the case BYU handles things internally.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 24th, 2024, 7:06 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 6:36 pm
ChicagoAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 6:04 pm
travelingagg wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 5:07 pm
2004AG wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 3:01 pm
bpd wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 11:48 am
Danny wants out of Logan.
Our ONLY chance in hell of keeping him was if he LOVED Logan.

With the offers that are coming his way AND wanting out? Its over
You’re making a claim that he wants out without clarifying precisely how you know. Please cite your source or modify your statement. It’s hard to navigate random opinions vs. factual information here.
I'm not making any claim. Would you be happier if I said, "if what knowledgeable people are saying and he wants out"?

Here's the thing with the message board, there are people on here who know things. bpd, intermeddler, rat, JCP, aggies22, etc. When those guys talk, its smart to listen to them.

Are these situations "fluid"? Of course they are. Nothing anybody has said is set in stone. But, Sprinkle left Montana State for Utah State because he wanted a jump up in conferences and salary. Another jump up and to more than double his salary? Its pretty easy to see why he thinks leaving is in his best interest. Will he? I am a betting man, and I'd bet he does.
Dude, you need to start listening to me!
Haha.

Are you saying you’re on the level of the guys I mentioned ?

Ha ha. You got me! It’s probably a close second, but in my new retired role you might want to keep me on speed dial!
Fine. I’ll put you on the bubble but you’re gonna have to play your way in.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 24th, 2024, 7:07 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 6:46 pm
rAggie wrote:

Coming off a tourney win and flush with cash is a great way to start a rebuild. I would like all this to move as quickly as possible so efforts to retain players and/or recruit new ones can get underway.
Hopefully, some of the players stick around this year.

Steven Ashworth had quite a game against Oregon the other night leading Creighton to the Sweet 16.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » March 24th, 2024, 7:12 pm

Aggiebigtime wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 5:24 pm
If he wants out then he should leave. I don’t want a coach that doesn’t want be here. I can understand if he leaves for money even though it would be difficult, but I don’t want him here if he doesn’t want be here.
Having four different coaches in seven years implies that no one wants to be here.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 24th, 2024, 7:15 pm

Sprinkle already left home, Montana State.

I know the locality was the factor for Odom leaving, but I think Danny is leaving for prestige, bigger NIL to buy better players, and then probably into the next big job if he's successful at Washington.
Last edited by trevordude on March 24th, 2024, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not sent from Tapatalk

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 24th, 2024, 7:16 pm

Is Sprinkle really built “that different”? He’s an excellent recruiter and motivator and expects a lot, but at times the offense really stank. Coming out of timeouts Aggies were ranked 250ish, scoring a basket. Timeout management was head scratching to say the least. Today he played Burris who had played like what 10 minutes the whole season? He clanked back to back threes, offense was non existent, and a no timeout was used. I get there was foul trouble but who cares, the game was slipping. Think of the losses, were adjustments really made? The Aggies were either in the game, or getting blown out. When things were clicking this Aggie team could play with anybody, even Purdue. But when they weren’t, it really seemed like Sprinkle couldn’t adjust.
He got out classed and out coached by a Big 10 coach, that apparently he’s going to compete with from freaking Seattle. What he did by putting this team together was more than impressive, but man I don’t think he’s the savior of basketball like some claim.
USU will be fine, take the 3 mil and let’s go get another.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07EngineeringAggie

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 24th, 2024, 7:20 pm

Dwigt wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 7:12 pm
Aggiebigtime wrote:
If he wants out then he should leave. I don’t want a coach that doesn’t want be here. I can understand if he leaves for money even though it would be difficult, but I don’t want him here if he doesn’t want be here.
Having four different coaches in seven years implies that no one wants to be here.
I reject this.

1) we fired Tim
2) Craig “didn’t want to be here” so much that he kept his home here and his son continued to go to high school here.
3) Ryan certainly didn’t want to be here and was a poor cultural fit
4) Danny, these are my words, wants to win at the highest level and in today’s landscape that means $$$$$$$$ in the NIL coffers. If we are doing better with NIL here, we still aren’t doing good enough to get to the top of the mountain.

I also don’t think Danny is a bar guy and people making that out to be an issue are wrong I believe. But I do think there is more to the “lack of a dating scene” than we expect. The singles scene in Logan for 35+ year olds is horrifically bad. If the dude wants to find love, this is not the place.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 5):
Aggie in BoiseUSU78EngineeringAggieAggies18883rdGenAggie

Showing my True Colors since 2022

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 24th, 2024, 7:21 pm

trevordude wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 7:15 pm

I know the locality was the factor for Odom leaving, but I think Danny is leaving for prestige, bigger NIL to buy better players, and then probably into the next big job if he's successful at Washington.
Exactly. The whole reason he left his own school was for money and to elevate his status. USU was just a step. All the bs he spewed was just coach speak .
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
trevordude

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » March 24th, 2024, 7:33 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 7:21 pm
trevordude wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 7:15 pm

Exactly. The whole reason he left his own school was for money and to elevate his status. USU was just a step. All the bs he spewed was just coach speak .
I think anyone offered that kind of money would leave. 20 million for five years.. I agree most coaches spew a lot of BS knowing they are just saying what they think we want to hear but have different intentions.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » March 24th, 2024, 7:35 pm

rAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 7:20 pm
Dwigt wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
I reject this.

1) we fired Tim
2) Craig “didn’t want to be here” so much that he kept his home here and his son continued to go to high school here.
4) Danny, these are my words, wants to win at the highest level and in today’s landscape that means $$$$$$$$ in the NIL coffers. If we are doing better with NIL here, we still aren’t doing good enough to get to the top of the mountain.

I also don’t think Danny is a bar guy and people making that out to be an issue are wrong I believe. But I do think there is more to the “lack of a dating scene” than we expect. The singles scene in Logan for 35+ year olds is horrifically bad. If the dude wants to find love, this is not the place.
What will be the next coaches excuse?

Truth is we are a mid major team that doesn’t have the money to adequately support both football and basketball in the NIL era. For either sport, the moment we have success, the moment everyone that can will move on to a place that makes them more money.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 24th, 2024, 7:37 pm

Dwigt wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 7:35 pm
rAggie wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
I reject this.

1) we fired Tim

What will be the next coaches excuse?

Truth is we are a mid major team that doesn’t have the money to adequately support both football and basketball in the NIL era. For either sport, the moment we have success, the moment everyone that can will move on to a place that makes them more money.
As long as we're serious players in the mountain west I'm happy. Our peers have similar problems

Not sent from Tapatalk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 24th, 2024, 8:07 pm

rAggie wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
I reject this.

1) we fired Tim

The guy is 47 if he has not found someone I doubt he is trying to hard or just doesn't want relationship. He lived in LA for 20 years as an assistant coach I doubt dating is high on his priorities JMO.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
AngusAgBustaMcNutt

Full

Post by Full » March 24th, 2024, 8:17 pm

rAggie wrote:

I’m not upset Danny Sprinkle could take $19 million from Washington, Odom took at least $8.5 million from VCU (not sure the actual amount) and Craig Smith took $12.6 million from Utah.

I’m upset that a year or two at Utah State and taking a team that’s been to the tourney 12 times in the last 25 years back to the tournament deserves a lot of looks. I want the narrative to be anyone can win at Utah State. I want the narrative to be look at all the coaches that left Logan only to not have success. I think a previous coach will have some success, but I smiled that Smith and Odom are coaching in the NIT. People poaching USU coaches aren’t going to be satisfied with the NIT and double digit losses. I think some of the peculiar things about USU and Cache Valley contribute to basketball success. I hope coaches want to come to USU because they can win.

So yes, I will occasionally check the standing of former coaches. I’ll remind everyone that you’ll win more games in Logan than many of the other destination schools offering lots of money. I hope something changes to NIL. The pendulum swung to far, and I expect a change will bring back something so San Jose State has a hope to compete.
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
BiocatAg

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 24th, 2024, 8:20 pm

Dwigt wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
Yeah, that's why we can never convince highly successful coaches at lower-tier conferences like Ryan Odom or Danny Sprinkle to come to USU. The fact that they keep leaving after winning tons of games is entirely because they don't want to be here. The opportunity to double or triple their salaries has nothing to do with it.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 5):
bluegrouseAggie formerly in HawaiiAggiebigtimeslcaggAggie in Boise

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 24th, 2024, 8:38 pm

rAggie wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
I reject this.

1) we fired Tim

Dude didn’t you know as head coach of the Aggies you are the face of the farmersonly.com website. He has lots of options.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Zaggie07

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 25th, 2024, 8:33 am

slcagg wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 8:38 pm
rAggie wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
I reject this.

1) we fired Tim

Dude didn’t you know as head coach of the Aggies you are the face of the farmersonly.com website. He has lots of options.
Yeah, in today’s digital dating world, finding people to date is easier than ever. There are THOUSANDS of attractive women (or men) out there who would be more than happy to travel to date a handsome, athletic, successful, wealthy, charismatic college basketball coach, who lives in a beautiful town in the mountains.

If he really wants it, it shouldn’t be hard to find. Download a few apps and boom, girlfriend/boyfriend in a few months. I understand his lifestyle as a coach probably makes dating difficult, but that’s gonna be the case no matter where he is.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » March 25th, 2024, 8:41 am

slcagg wrote:
rAggie wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
I reject this.

1) we fired Tim

And there is a school full of cougars just down the road if that is what he is into... lots of options for older single men in Utah.
These users thanked the author The Old Bull for the post:
StanfordAggie

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 25th, 2024, 8:43 am

TrueAggieman wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:33 am
slcagg wrote:
rAggie wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
I reject this.

1) we fired Tim

Yeah, in today’s digital dating world, finding people to date is easier than ever. There are THOUSANDS of attractive women (or men) out there who would be more than happy to travel to date a handsome, athletic, successful, wealthy, charismatic college basketball coach, who lives in a beautiful town in the mountains.

If he really wants it, it shouldn’t be hard to find. Download a few apps and boom, girlfriend/boyfriend in a few months. I understand his lifestyle as a coach probably makes dating difficult, but that’s gonna be the case no matter where he is.
Promise the dating scene is fine, the Wasatch front is right there loaded. Women travel for lesser men all the time but logan has a some good ones too. BA tied the knot while here.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
TrueAggieman

#hornsup!

jackattack

Post by jackattack » March 25th, 2024, 8:45 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 7:07 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
rAggie wrote:

Coming off a tourney win and flush with cash is a great way to start a rebuild. I would like all this to move as quickly as possible so efforts to retain players and/or recruit new ones can get underway.

Steven Ashworth had quite a game against Oregon the other night leading Creighton to the Sweet 16.
I’m not sure I would call going 6-18 from the field “quite a game”. The 21 points though, those look good.

Donman

Post by Donman » March 25th, 2024, 8:46 am

Blue Sage wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:43 am
TrueAggieman wrote:
slcagg wrote:
rAggie wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
I reject this.

1) we fired Tim

Promise the dating scene is fine, the Wasatch front is right there loaded. Women travel for lesser men all the time but logan has a some good ones too. BA tied the knot while here.
I think Blake met his now wife before coming here (I could be wrong).

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 25th, 2024, 8:48 am

jackattack wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:45 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 7:07 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
rAggie wrote:

I’m not sure I would call going 6-18 from the field “quite a game”. The 21 points though, those look good.
I watched the end of the game and in OT, and he scored most of the points. I didn't look at his line for the first 35 minutes or know of his overall play there, but in crunch time he pushed the Jays to the Sweet 16.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
jackattack

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 25th, 2024, 8:49 am

It's too bad Rachel was shown the door just before Danny showed up. That would have been our own Charles and Diana epic.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 25th, 2024, 9:09 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:49 am
It's too bad Rachel was shown the door just before Danny showed up. That would have been our own Charles and Diana epic.
So Danny would be a pedophile and Rachel would be dead?

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 25th, 2024, 9:11 am

Blue Sage wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:43 am
TrueAggieman wrote:
slcagg wrote:
rAggie wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
I reject this.

1) we fired Tim

Another point to consider, which job is going to offer him more free time to date/socialize? A program he's already established or one that he has to build from scratch with high expectations for first year success?

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 25th, 2024, 9:15 am

Hoot wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:09 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
I think it was Charle's brother that was the pe8o. But that conflates the point.

Imagine the pageantry of our own epic USU wedding. Two crazy kids committed to USU athletics tying the knot atop the A on Old Main Hill and running across the Quad while adoring fans shower them with rice, rose petals, nerf basketballs and footballs. The Statesman giving daily updates of sightings of the two about town. "I saw them at Subway last night and they're so in love!!!" Girls wishing they were Rachel and men wanting to be Danny.

Opportunity missed.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 25th, 2024, 9:20 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:15 am
Hoot wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:09 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
I think it was Charle's brother that was the pe8o. But that conflates the point.

Imagine the pageantry of our own epic USU wedding. Two crazy kids committed to USU athletics tying the knot atop the A on Old Main Hill and running across the Quad while adoring fans shower them with rice, rose petals, nerf basketballs and footballs. The Statesman giving daily updates of sightings of the two about town. "I saw them at Subway last night and they're so in love!!!" Girls wishing they were Rachel and men wanting to be Danny.

Opportunity missed.
That’s right. He was friends with Jimmy Savile and Peter Ball though…

The real missed opportunity is the onlyfans remake of the wedding between you and a ”gently used” blow up doll from a local thrift store.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic