Sprinkle will gut the program

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13

Re: Sprinkle will gut the program

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 24th, 2024, 9:48 pm

Chatman wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 9:33 pm
cval wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 9:18 pm
Chatman wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 9:14 pm
cval wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 8:20 pm
It’s not that we might have a down season or two. It’s the total lack of any continuity or identity in the program. It will be difficult to find the motivation to support a program when it is a bunch of new paid professionals with no connection to the University or the community each year

I think the best hope we have is that folks will realize that it’s an unsustainable model and refuse to support it until it is forced to change. A slim hope, I know.
Yes stability is the environment in college sports and needed to have success now . 😂
Community and fan support will be the casualties of a total lack of identity as a program. Harder to call them our team.
That was certainly the case this year!
And I'm called the troll? :shock:

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 24th, 2024, 9:51 pm

I came out strong in support of an NCAA win over keeping Sprinkle because there are no guarantees in the future, and not even next season if the roster all comes back. I'm satisfied witha stellar season and am prepared to move on to a next chapter.

College athletics is at a crossroads, and I firmly believe it will look nothing like we're used to in the coming years. I'm lucky I've had fun along the way. We'll see what happens next.
These users thanked the author thrashsoundly for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Zaggie07

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » March 24th, 2024, 9:52 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 9:51 pm
I came out strong in support of an NCAA win over keeping Sprinkle because there are no guarantees in the future, and not even next season if the roster all comes back. I'm satisfied witha stellar season and am prepared to move on to a next chapter.

College athletics is at a crossroads, and I firmly believe it will look nothing like we're used to in the coming years. I'm lucky I've had fun along the way. We'll see what happens next.
If we had lost to TCU, he would still be gone.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 24th, 2024, 9:56 pm

SaintAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 9:52 pm
thrashsoundly wrote:

He was gone regardless of how the season ended. UW offered him a month ago. If DB II doesn't bank in that shot against Fresno, we don't win the regular season title and with how we played in the MWC tourney, probably don't even go to the NCAA Tournament.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 24th, 2024, 10:07 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 9:56 pm
SaintAggie wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:

He was gone regardless of how the season ended. UW offered him a month ago. If DB II doesn't bank in that shot against Fresno, we don't win the regular season title and with how we played in the MWC tourney, probably don't even go to the NCAA Tournament.
But we did and we won and that was fun. Never happened since I became a USU fan.

If those games played out again, we might have ended up 7th in the league which could be where we end up next year even if everyone stays. No guarantees.
These users thanked the author thrashsoundly for the post:
FloridaAggie13

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » March 24th, 2024, 10:11 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 10:07 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 9:56 pm
SaintAggie wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:

But we did and we won and that was fun. Never happened since I became a USU fan.

If those games played out again, we might have ended up 7th in the league which could be where we end up next year even if everyone stays. No guarantees.
Only a matter of time before we get that type of year. Add to that a roster full of new people with no real love for USU... yikes. Wish things were different.
These users thanked the author SaintAggie for the post (total 2):
cvalthrashsoundly

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 24th, 2024, 10:18 pm

I’ll be honest — I prefer a band of mercenaries that brings us NCAA tourney glory versus a team of dudes that stays four years and does not. Obviously a team that does both is ideal, but that’s just not the new reality.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 6):
trevordudeAggie84025Aggie formerly in HawaiibluegrouseStanfordAggieaggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 24th, 2024, 10:51 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 10:18 pm
I’ll be honest — I prefer a band of mercenaries that brings us NCAA tourney glory versus a team of dudes that stays four years and does not. Obviously a team that does both is ideal, but that’s just not the new reality.
The sport is definitely different. I too liked the era where you see a guy like tai Wesley commit to USU as Mr basketball in high school in 03-04 and then follow him for literally 8 years before celebrating senior night seeing him and other great Aggies like newbold and Pooh finish great long Aggie careers. But yes the new era can still be entertaining and rewarding as a fan. We only have two NCAA tournament wins in 50 years and one of them is with this group of "mercenaries." I went to 3 Aggie games this year; San Francisco where we won by 1pt, Boise State where we honored stew and the season finale where brown hit the biggest shot in spectrum history. All were great times and incredible memories. I definitely have some problems with the new way of college sports, but the game is still great and I'm still going to be as into Aggie basketball as ever! :rock:

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 25th, 2024, 12:47 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
The sport is definitely different. I too liked the era where you see a guy like tai Wesley commit to USU as Mr basketball in high school in 03-04 and then follow him for literally 8 years before celebrating senior night seeing him and other great Aggies like newbold and Pooh finish great long Aggie careers. But yes the new era can still be entertaining and rewarding as a fan. We only have two NCAA tournament wins in 50 years and one of them is with this group of "mercenaries." I went to 3 Aggie games this year; San Francisco where we won by 1pt, Boise State where we honored stew and the season finale where brown hit the biggest shot in spectrum history. All were great times and incredible memories. I definitely have some problems with the new way of college sports, but the game is still great and I'm still going to be as into Aggie basketball as ever! :rock:
I think we will see that this group was an aberration. If we have to do this again, expect to win 10-15 games total and be at the bottom of the conference. And then players will be upset they didn’t win and transfer again. Over and over. Once in a while we will get lucky like this year but I expect that will be in another 20yrs and not nearly as many NCAA appearances in between. This new era is going to suck. Throw in the still existing threat of the stupid PAC-2 and conference instability and the disdain our conference mates have for us and we could just as likely be playing in the WAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
AggieFBObsession

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 1:51 am

scotlandog wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 12:47 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
I think we will see that this group was an aberration. If we have to do this again, expect to win 10-15 games total and be at the bottom of the conference. And then players will be upset they didn’t win and transfer again. Over and over. Once in a while we will get lucky like this year but I expect that will be in another 20yrs and not nearly as many NCAA appearances in between. This new era is going to suck. Throw in the still existing threat of the stupid PAC-2 and conference instability and the disdain our conference mates have for us and we could just as likely be playing in the WAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything is possible. But I would argue that the program was in a far worse position when Duryea was fired, and yet somehow it turned into one of the best stretches in the history of our program. If Sprinkle leaves and takes most of our players with him, I'm not optimistic that we will get another conference championship and tournament berth next year. But I would say that the likelihood that USU continues to be a top-tier MWC team regularly competing for conference titles and tournament bids is far, far more likely than the probability that USU ends up in the WAC.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 25th, 2024, 1:55 am

There will always be kids who want to come play in the Spectrum and MW. Good chance at PT, we have multiple players in the NBA, fun home atmosphere and a good shot at going to the tournament.

There’s only so much NIL money and starting sports to go around in college basketball, I think we are still in a decent position to do what Sprinkle did this year in the future.
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
Chatman

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic