Two Random Questions

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie702

Two Random Questions

Post by Aggie702 » March 25th, 2024, 1:23 pm

1 - Did the injunction invalidating the transfer rule in December (IIRC) accelerate Sprinkle's timeline? I say yes - if the old rules were still in effect, I don't think he leaves after one year knowing he couldn't take some guys with him and he'd do a full rebuild in WA. I think we'd have him at least one more year. If the free transfer rule stays in effect, this will continue to be a mid-major blueprint going forward. No risk in a coach leaving after one or two years if you can take your best players with you. Guys like Ian, Josh, Great, Mason, Fish, have all already transferred at least once. I think under the old rules they'd have to sit out a year if they transferred unless they were grad transfers, so they'd be staying at USU. Now you can jump year to year and follow your coach and/or the money.

It's also interesting that some claim the rumblings of him wanting out started in December, possibly around the time of the ruling. If so, he was smart enough to realize the implications and he and his agent started working connections around that time.

2 - How legit was the USU extension offer? We heard it was a "significant" number, close to $2MM. Given the timing, I'm wondering if it was primarily done for show given the admin pretty much knew he was leaving. Float that you made a significant offer to try and keep him, even juice the number a bit knowing you'd never have to pay it - but could tell everyone you made a good faith effort.

Intermeddler

Re: Two Random Questions

Post by Intermeddler » March 25th, 2024, 1:24 pm

The extension offer was legit. I think we will see an infusion of resources into MBB generally.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » March 25th, 2024, 1:26 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 1:24 pm
The extension offer was legit. I think we will see an infusion of resources into MBB generally.
Just so we can have another coach leave and take players with him? What’s the point?

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 25th, 2024, 1:27 pm

I'll add to your #2 above is that by floating the $2M offer you tell prospective head coaches that there is a lot of room for salary growth if they are successful. You don't get it to start but put together conference winning teams and there will be increases.

For me, when I look at other possible landing spots for me in my work I'm as much or more interested in what the potential growth could be than what the starting salary is. Why leave if your starting salary is where you are stuck forever, but if I perform and can get promoted then I will be listening.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post:
Aggie84025

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 25th, 2024, 2:08 pm

There's been a bit of talk about buy-out clauses for future coaches. Those are usually percentages of the remaining contract, though, so if we want a bigger buy-out to either deter programs poaching our coach, or to at least sooth the pain when it happens, then I would think we'll need to have a big contract up front, likely along the lines of what Sprinkle's extension offer was. Double-edged sword, to be sure, as if a new coach doesn't pan out then we're on the hook to pay if we fire him, but that's just the gamble we have to decide on taking.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
Intermeddler

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 25th, 2024, 2:20 pm

The extension offer was extremely legit, and was significant.

I knew Danny was gone 24 hours after that offer was on his desk and not signed.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiIntermeddlerSection_L_Aggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic