Outside the box coaching idea - Coach K?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Rabidchild

Outside the box coaching idea - Coach K?

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 6:27 pm

Hear me out here, but why not go after someone like Larry Kristoviak. Yes, he was let go at Utah but I think that's more due to the program's systemic problems than due to his inability to get the job done. Perhaps we would take the job as a final stop in his coaching career... he actually seems like a good fit culturally. Not sure whether he is looking to get back into the game any time soon, but he could reunite with Andy Hill. Maybe what we need to do is hire a veteran coach who could view this as his final stop in his career and get us out of the coaching carousel business.

Thoughts? What other outside-the-box candidates would fit this older coach approach? It worked with Stew, who else could be a Stew-type hire?

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Re: Outside the box coaching idea - Coach K?

Post by shoresy » March 25th, 2024, 6:31 pm

If by "outside the box" you mean "horrible", yes, this is an outside the box idea.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 5):
Aggie in BoisebluegrouseUSUGrad01HootReal Life Aggie

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 6:31 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:31 pm
If by "outside the box" you mean "horrible", yes, this is an outside the box idea.
What's horrible about it? Your response adds no insight or value. Please expound on your opinion.

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 25th, 2024, 6:35 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
shoresy wrote:
What's horrible about it? Your response adds no insight or value. Please expound on your opinion.
So, we could hire a young, up and coming coach who is ambitious and follows the formula of success that has worked here, or we could hire a 59-year-old who hasn't coached a game or worked in three full years after being fired from his last job for missing the NCAA Tournament five-straight years?

Yes, horrible.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 6:38 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:35 pm
Rabidchild wrote:
shoresy wrote:
So, we could hire a young, up and coming coach who is ambitious and follows the formula of success that has worked here, or we could hire a 59-year-old who hasn't coached a game or worked in three full years after being fired from his last job for missing the NCAA Tournament five-straight years?

Yes, horrible.
LOL, okay fair enough - I appreciate the additional rationale to explain why you believe it's a horrible idea. :scotsman:

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 25th, 2024, 6:38 pm

Anybody>Larry
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
bluegrouse

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 6:39 pm

He has Montana roots, and that seems to be a winning formula. The spirit of Wayne would bless us for going with Larry K.

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » March 25th, 2024, 6:39 pm

Krystko squandered a lot of talent at Utah. Seemed like kind of an A-hole as well.

My outside the box hire would be Steve Nash. just because he's my goat NBA PG.

Am I doing this right?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author elcheque2 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:39 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
shoresy wrote:
Former Utah star Kyle Kuzma received at least $9,500 while in school, according to the documents.
https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html
The Utah men’s basketball program was hit with two years of probation and associate head coach Tommy Connor was given a one-year show-cause penalty as a result of recruiting violations that were committed in the spring of 2018.
https://www.nbcsports.com/college-baske ... violations

And of course, don't forget about David Collette or the times he tried to poach Stew's recruits. And despite all of his shady behavior, he still managed only two NCAA appearances in ten seasons. I remember something that a Miami fan wrote on their message board during the whole Shapiro scandal. Something to the effect of: "If you play fair and lose, that is honorable. If you cheat and win, that is understandable. But if you cheat and still lose season after season, that is absolutely unacceptable and totally inexcusable." That seems relevant here.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 25th, 2024, 6:40 pm

If you're going to go outside the box, I liked one name on the list of possible WSU hires. Gentlemen and Ladies let me present to you the new and improved Bob Huggins. Exciting style of play. Loves to badger referees. And is working diligently on his rehab. What better place than Logan, Utah for a man in his position.

Ok...I'm not serious, but just the thought of having Hug patrol the sidelines at the Spectrum gives me a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
mcaggie1

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 25th, 2024, 6:42 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:40 pm
If you're going to go outside the box, I liked one name on the list of possible WSU hires. Gentlemen and Ladies let me present to you the new and improved Bob Huggins. Exciting style of play. Loves to badger referees. And is working diligently on his rehab. What better place than Logan, Utah for a man in his position.

Ok...I'm not serious, but just the thought of having Hug patrol the sidelines at the Spectrum gives me a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling.
There are no bars in Logan. How is he gonna mess up?
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Zaggie07

ususports

Post by ususports » March 25th, 2024, 6:42 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:38 pm
Anybody>Larry
Thanks for proving ViAggie hasn’t paid you yet. :lol:

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 6:46 pm

Bank Shot wrote:

Love this idea. Get Huggy Bear in Logan... also it seems hires like this would give us a little boost of national attention, which is always welcomed, and maybe some favorable bias for once from the selection committee at some point.

Aggie4L1fe

Post by Aggie4L1fe » March 25th, 2024, 6:47 pm

Buy out Coach Popavich, He’s got a center with 4 years of college eligibility left!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:47 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:42 pm
Bank Shot wrote:

Honestly, if Huggins wanted to get back into coaching and would consider USU, I would support that provided that there was a very strict morality clause in his contract. The guy is a piece of human garbage, but he has won like crazy at every stop in his career.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:48 pm

Even though college degrees are no longer a point of emphasis (it appears), it still bothers me that when they were supposed to matter Huggins was let go from Cincinnati when the new president discovered that in his 10(?) years as the coach the team had not a single degree among its players.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 6:49 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:39 pm
Rabidchild wrote:
shoresy wrote:
Former Utah star Kyle Kuzma received at least $9,500 while in school, according to the documents.
The Utah men’s basketball program was hit with two years of probation and associate head coach Tommy Connor was given a one-year show-cause penalty as a result of recruiting violations that were committed in the spring of 2018.

And of course, don't forget about David Collette or the times he tried to poach Stew's recruits. And despite all of his shady behavior, he still managed only two NCAA appearances in ten seasons. I remember something that a Miami fan wrote on their message board during the whole Shapiro scandal. Something to the effect of: "If you play fair and lose, that is honorable. If you cheat and win, that is understandable. But if you cheat and still lose season after season, that is absolutely unacceptable and totally inexcusable." That seems relevant here.
My counter to this would be that all of this is allowed now, so Larry K just needs to get back in the game somewhere that he can now do these things legally. Plus, we would get the added bonus of him being extra motivated to establish USU as clearly being the strongest program in the state, ahead of his former employer.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:51 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:49 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:
shoresy wrote:

My counter to this would be that all of this is allowed now, so Larry K just needs to get back in the game somewhere that he can now do these things legally. Plus, we would get the added bonus of him being extra motivated to establish USU as clearly being the strongest program in the state, ahead of his former employer.
Did you miss the part where he sucked despite cheating? If he couldn't win when he was cheating to give himself an extra advantage, how is he going to win when everyone else has these extra advantages?

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 6:54 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:51 pm
Rabidchild wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:
shoresy wrote:

Did you miss the part where he sucked despite cheating? If he couldn't win when he was cheating to give himself an extra advantage, how is he going to win when everyone else has these extra advantages?
He was at Utah. Not even the ghost of Red Aurbach could win with the horrible fan support and institutional dumpster fire that is U of U basketball.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:59 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:54 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:
shoresy wrote:

He was at Utah. Not even the ghost of Red Aurbach could win with the horrible fan support and institutional dumpster fire that is U of U basketball.
Rick Majerus clearly didn't get the memo. But more importantly, what has Krystkowiak ever accomplished that makes you think he has potential to be a good coach? Two NCAA appearances at Montana 20 years ago when he didn't even win the regular season Big Sky title? I'm a little bewildered that you seem to be so enamored with a coach that is not only a scumbag, but also hasn't had any success as a head coach in the past 20 years.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 7:12 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:59 pm
Rabidchild wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:54 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:
shoresy wrote:

Rick Majerus clearly didn't get the memo. But more importantly, what has Krystkowiak ever accomplished that makes you think he has potential to be a good coach? Two NCAA appearances at Montana 20 years ago when he didn't even win the regular season Big Sky title? I'm a little bewildered that you seem to be so enamored with a coach that is not only a scumbag, but also hasn't had any success as a head coach in the past 20 years.
That was the 90s when the U of U had completely different leadership and a fantastic program. They're really fallen off since then, my friend. The dumpster fire comment is clearly in reference to the post-Fat Man era.

I am not advocating for Larry K, nor am I enamored by him, simply throwing it out there. You have made good arguments against considering him as our next coach. Another argument in favor that I have not yet mentioned: have you ever seen the way he would burn ropes pre-game to summon good energy and focus among his players? Together with the Montana ties and Estes Energy, Larry K could really summon up some magic in Logan.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/spor ... -nice.html

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 25th, 2024, 8:10 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:42 pm
Bank Shot wrote:

Pugmire found a way.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 25th, 2024, 8:23 pm

Let's not forget that our worst football coach ever was also from Montana, so I don't think saying you are from Montana is the magic potion.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 10:33 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:23 pm
Let's not forget that our worst football coach ever was also from Montana, so I don't think saying you are from Montana is the magic potion.
The Montana connection obviously doesn't apply to football. In fact, this just proves that the Wayne Estes spirit/energy connection with basketball is REAL.
These users thanked the author Rabidchild for the post:
aggiesdotcom

Donman

Post by Donman » March 25th, 2024, 11:54 pm

Coloraggie wrote:Let's not forget that our worst football coach ever was also from Montana, so I don't think saying you are from Montana is the magic potion.
Dave Arslanian would like a word with you

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Donman for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 26th, 2024, 12:04 am

He would be a disaster. His players hated him which is they had 6-7 guys leave the team every year before the portal was even conceived. Tommy Connor did a ton of heavy lifting recruiting. Boosters hated him too. There is also some personal baggage stuff there that may make him a bad fit/unproductive. Nothing too serious but not nothing either. Hard hard hard pass.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 26th, 2024, 12:55 am

The only way you’re keeping players and enticing them to come play at USU is probably with a likable players coach IMO. Finding one who can coach and has assistants with recruiting ties is tough, but an old hard (I can't express myself without swearing) won’t work out here in todays game

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 26th, 2024, 8:11 am

Donman wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 11:54 pm
Coloraggie wrote:Let's not forget that our worst football coach ever was also from Montana, so I don't think saying you are from Montana is the magic potion.
As would Chris Pella.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
AngusAg

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 26th, 2024, 3:54 pm

I was expecting the outside the box suggestion would be to give Duryea another crack at the head coaching job or poach Craig Neal from the Nevada staff.

Eutaw St. Aggie

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 26th, 2024, 4:11 pm

USU78 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:11 am
Donman wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 11:54 pm
As would Chris Pella.
At Brent Guy's home office.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
USU78

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic