Was Van Grundy right?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FireAg

Was Van Grundy right?

Post by FireAg » March 25th, 2024, 10:00 pm

A poor gameplan designed to lose so that he can immediately work on building a roster at Washington rather than languish in a low-paying job at a mid-major as they make a tourney run to the sweet 16 or further?
About 10 minutes in, we started the Hack a Zack defense which didn’t stop him from scoring and added a lot of and-ones. Carson and others were loose on offense with a lot of ill advised drives towards the basket that had disaster out results. Lots of forced threes. It seemed like we moved away from our offensive sets. Van Grundy commented during all this that these moves were poor coaching or poor execution or both. Not saying that we were going to beat Purdue anyway but we were competitive until we changed tactics. Were they a ruse to just get this season over with now so DS could start his new job?

GaryTakeTheWheel

Re: Was Van Grundy right?

Post by GaryTakeTheWheel » March 25th, 2024, 10:06 pm

Probably not.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 25th, 2024, 10:09 pm

FireAg wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:00 pm
A poor gameplan designed to lose so that he can immediately work on building a roster at Washington rather than languish in a low-paying job at a mid-major as they make a tourney run to the sweet 16 or further?
About 10 minutes in, we started the Hack a Zack defense which didn’t stop him from scoring and added a lot of and-ones. Carson and others were loose on offense with a lot of ill advised drives towards the basket that had disaster out results. Lots of forced threes. It seemed like we moved away from our offensive sets. Van Grundy commented during all this that these moves were poor coaching or poor execution or both. Not saying that we were going to beat Purdue anyway but we were competitive until we changed tactics. Were they a ruse to just get this season over with now so DS could start his new job?
Well he was wearing Washington colors..

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » March 25th, 2024, 10:12 pm

It's a conspiracy, and if it were something like Block U or BoogarBoard I would laugh all day at the copium, but...

Utah State came out ready to play. I was shocked at how Osobor was keeping Edey in check. He was scoring, but not at will. They couldn't get him the ball very well. We were up 17-15. A TV timeout was taken. We came out and the D was new. Edey scored. We came back down and shot two bad shots. One was a questionable three, but... it went in! Okay, now we're up 20-17. Maybe USU can hang with the big guys? No. At this point, despite us being able to hang with Purdue when playing normal hoops, now we've shifted to this "new" strategy where we make one pass and chuck up a 3. Then we double or triple Edey when he gets the ball - leading to either a foul or an open 3 for Purdue, despite his overall effectiveness having been only okay up until that point.

You're edging into conspiracy land, but I don't blame you. Either Purdue made some great adjustment (what, exactly?), or our sudden shift to chucking bad 3s and throwing everyone at Edey - the same gameplan we kept failing with but stuck to - was why we lost so badly.

I don't know. I'm happy Sprinkle got the win, but I'll never remember his name or anything about him.
These users thanked the author Detroit-Aggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13mcaggie1

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 25th, 2024, 10:21 pm

I was calling out the sh*t coaching live on this board while it was happening. After the 10-0 run he benches Johnson and Osobor and puts in the worst scholership player on the team and let the team freestyle. I don't know the reason but no question he flat out gave up. Embarrassing.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 25th, 2024, 10:33 pm

You can obviously criticize his coaching, but accusing him of intentionally wanting to lose is idiotic
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on March 25th, 2024, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 10:35 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:33 pm
You can obviously criticize his coaching, but excusing him of intentionally wanting to lose is idiotic
Yeah. Plus we know that this team has absolutely no history of competing well against a strong opponent for most of the first half before completely collapsing.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
MrBiggle

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 10:35 pm

You can obviously criticize his coaching, but excusing him of intentionally wanting to lose is idiotic
You're right, we must not excuse him of wanting to lose -- we must hold him accountable for it!
These users thanked the author Rabidchild for the post:
mcaggie1

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 25th, 2024, 10:40 pm

Yes, Van Gundy was right and made great points.

Score would've been closer at the end, but not the outcome. Edey was a beast and they had plenty of other playmakers.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 25th, 2024, 10:41 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:35 pm
You're right, we must not excuse him of wanting to lose -- we must hold him accountable for it!
Yeah autocorrects happen, just like losses do. I'm sure the coach that delivered us an outright regular season championship and only our second tournament win in 50 years intentionally threw the game! You want krysto to be out next coach. Maybe he intentionally threw his final 3 terrible seasons at Utah! Makes about as much sense

ususports

Post by ususports » March 26th, 2024, 1:10 am

Stan Van Gundy is very funny, and I enjoyed his dry humor throughout the broadcasts of both games.

valleyaggie21

Post by valleyaggie21 » March 26th, 2024, 9:26 am

I enjoyed Stan and his comments for the couple games we had him, but thought the bigger comments as have been stated before in other threads were us leaving our guys with 2 fouls on the bench too long. They didn't get to foul out because the game was too far gone by that point. If they'd have picked up a 3rd foul at least we were trying to stem the momentum back to us.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » March 26th, 2024, 9:40 am

valleyaggie21 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:26 am
I enjoyed Stan and his comments for the couple games we had him, but thought the bigger comments as have been stated before in other threads were us leaving our guys with 2 fouls on the bench too long. They didn't get to foul out because the game was too far gone by that point. If they'd have picked up a 3rd foul at least we were trying to stem the momentum back to us.
For me, this was the coaching malpractice because he never learned when he made the exact same mistake in the MWC semis against SDSU. He took Osobor out with 2 fouls up 16, while Dutcher put in Ledee with 2 fouls just hoping to stop the bleeding. SDSU goes on a run and instead of putting Osobor back in to stop the bleeding, Sprinkle left him on the bench the rest of the half. Johnson and Sahko never should have been sitting that long against Purdue. It wouldn't have changed the outcome but he was not far removed witnessing nearly the same thing just a week prior, and it clearly never registered.
These users thanked the author Heisenberg for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

Donman

Post by Donman » March 26th, 2024, 9:47 am

I was told there was no way we would have coaches prepping for the second game (while others prepped for second). With less than 48 hours to prepare how could we expect to have a game plan that made sense (or what Twitter Trolls have told me when I had said the team should have began initially prepping for Purdue once brackets rolled out).
These users thanked the author Donman for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic