Same topic with a new twist

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

Same topic with a new twist

Post by SectionBAggie » March 25th, 2024, 7:10 pm

Who are the most famous coaches who followed the money to a higher position and crashed and burned? Based solely on their performance as a coach.

I have a few in mind but wonder if it is less common than current opinion here portrays.

Aggie702

Re: Same topic with a new twist

Post by Aggie702 » March 25th, 2024, 7:21 pm

I can't think of many off the top of my head that crash and burned, but I can think of plenty that failed to meet expectations. Even then they mostly turned out ok:

USC - Enfield. Consistently underperforms with his talent. May get fired next year but has made tourney and recruited nba talent.

Ucla - Cronin. Won with previous guys recruits. Hasn't been able to win after they left.

UcLA/Indiana - Alford. This is probably a crash and burn. Still landed a mwc gig after

Vandy - Drew. Only got 3 years. One year DG was hurt early and he had a horrible year. Rebounded at GCU

Texas - Smart. Didn't live up to expectations. Rebounded at Marquette.

Washington- Hopkins. Long known as the coach in waiting at Syracuse. He bailed because Boheim didn't retire soon enough. Failed at Washington opening the door for sprinkle. TBD where he ends up.

I think sprinkle will do well at Washington. And even if he doesn't another gig will come along elsewhere if he wants it.

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » March 25th, 2024, 11:08 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 7:21 pm
I can't think of many off the top of my head that crash and burned, but I can think of plenty that failed to meet expectations. Even then they mostly turned out ok:

USC - Enfield. Consistently underperforms with his talent. May get fired next year but has made tourney and recruited nba talent.

Ucla - Cronin. Won with previous guys recruits. Hasn't been able to win after they left.

UcLA/Indiana - Alford. This is probably a crash and burn. Still landed a mwc gig after

Vandy - Drew. Only got 3 years. One year DG was hurt early and he had a horrible year. Rebounded at GCU

Washington- Hopkins. Long known as the coach in waiting at Syracuse. He bailed because Boheim didn't retire soon enough. Failed at Washington opening the door for sprinkle. TBD where he ends up.

I think sprinkle will do well at Washington. And even if he doesn't another gig will come along elsewhere if he wants it.
I’d imagine it’s not sprinkles worst case scenario to end up back at Montana state to ride out his days on a ranch paid for by the boosters at UW. 🤷‍♂️
These users thanked the author bigblue32 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 12:47 am

Aggie702 wrote:

Trent Johnson should be part of this conversation. He did make the tournament 3 times in 4 years at Stanford, but that was still a big step back from the Mike Montgomery days. And his career from there has been a disaster. He was fired from LSU after four years with one tournament appearance. Then he was fired after four years at TCU with one winning season and zero postseason appearances of any type. Most recently, he finished 10th in the Big West at Cal State Northridge.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
aggies22

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 26th, 2024, 2:05 pm

bigblue32 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 11:08 pm
Aggie702 wrote:

I’d imagine it’s not sprinkles worst case scenario to end up back at Montana state to ride out his days on a ranch paid for by the boosters at UW. 🤷‍♂️
Honestly, that kinda sounds like it might be the dream. Go as big as possible, try to get every last ounce out of basketball that he possibly can, and see how far he gets. Best case, he does really well. Worst case, he crashes and burns with a big pile of money, then goes to his alma mater and happily coaches there to try and make them a competitive program.

Aside from the impact for us, there really doesn't seem to be much of a downside for Danny in taking a big ol' payday.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 26th, 2024, 2:16 pm

Just from USU's perspective i would say Gary, Matt and Craig. Gary did ok at Wisconsin but was a complete disaster at OSU. Matt was not good at Texas Tech. Craig has been very mediocre at Utah.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 26th, 2024, 2:32 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 2:16 pm
Just from USU's perspective i would say Gary, Matt and Craig. Gary did ok at Wisconsin but was a complete disaster at OSU. Matt was not good at Texas Tech. Craig has been very mediocre at Utah.
Smith is having a successful post season this year. The last time the Utes made it to the post season was in 2017. Hopefully, VCU gets the win tomorrow night.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
Aggie84025

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic