New Head Coach Contracts

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Melvatron

New Head Coach Contracts

Post by Melvatron » March 26th, 2024, 9:29 pm

Not sure if this is possible, but hear me out. Is there a way we can put in the Head Coaches contract from here on out that if they leave the program by choice, they are required to schedule a Home & Away game with the school they leave too?

This would allow the Spectrum and The HURD to give a true farewell to these coaches that ride off in the night to “greener pastures”

Thoughts?

ususports

Re: New Head Coach Contracts

Post by ususports » March 26th, 2024, 9:44 pm

Melvatron wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:29 pm
Not sure if this is possible, but hear me out. Is there a way we can put in the Head Coaches contract from here on out that if they leave the program by choice, they are required to schedule a Home & Away game with the school they leave too?

This would allow the Spectrum and The HURD to give a true farewell to these coaches that ride off in the night to “greener pastures”

Thoughts?
It is absolutely possible and has been discussed and requested on this board many times.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 26th, 2024, 10:07 pm

Yeah, this gets talked about all the time. The more I think about it, the less I want it. Just so we can see the best pieces from our last team come back to the spectrum in a different jersey? Just take the buyout money and move on, I say.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 26th, 2024, 10:10 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:07 pm
Yeah, this gets talked about all the time. The more I think about it, the less I want it. Just so we can see the best pieces from our last team come back to the spectrum in a different jersey? Just take the buyout money and move on, I say.
Awkward for them.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 26th, 2024, 10:17 pm

If we'd done a few years ago we'd have Utah VCU and Washington on our schedule. 3 teams that would never come to Logan. Would at least give us some good OOC cred and smug satisfaction of beating them.
These users thanked the author thrashsoundly for the post (total 2):
Melvatron3rdGenAggie

Melvatron

Post by Melvatron » March 26th, 2024, 10:30 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:17 pm
If we'd done a few years ago we'd have Utah VCU and Washington on our schedule. 3 teams that would never come to Logan. Would at least give us some good OOC cred and smug satisfaction of beating them.

Also, if we played those 3 teams on the road last year they would all be Q1 wins and Q2 wins on Stew Morrill’s Court! :scotsman:

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 26th, 2024, 10:55 pm

I asked this at an event with Jerry and he said that there are a few issues with it. First, when a coach leaves they are buying out and canceling the remaining terms of their contract. That would likely include the clause that the coach needs to schedule a home and home. You could possibly tie it to the buyout if a coach would agree to it...for instance, the buyout is 150% of the remaining contract but decreases to 75% once a home and home is scheduled. Secondly, all basketball coaches don't have complete control over their scheduling. Craig Smith's contract at Utah actually states that the athletic director has to approve each opponent scheduled. Do you think the AD would have allowed USU to be scheduled?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 26th, 2024, 11:06 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:55 pm
I asked this at an event with Jerry and he said that there are a few issues with it. First, when a coach leaves they are buying out and canceling the remaining terms of their contract. That would likely include the clause that the coach needs to schedule a home and home. You could possibly tie it to the buyout if a coach would agree to it...for instance, the buyout is 150% of the remaining contract but decreases to 75% once a home and home is scheduled. Secondly, all basketball coaches don't have complete control over their scheduling. Craig Smith's contract at Utah actually states that the athletic director has to approve each opponent scheduled. Do you think the AD would have allowed USU to be scheduled?
Would the AD have had much of a choice if the buyout was written like you suggested?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 26th, 2024, 11:14 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 11:06 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:55 pm
Would the AD have had much of a choice if the buyout was written like you suggested?
Ultimately buyouts are paid by the departing coach. The next school may reimburse the coach but the coach is the one actually paying off the debt. It would be up to them to negotiate that with their next school. That being said, I think you'd be hard pressed to get a coach to agree in an initial contract to a higher buyout that is discounted once a home and home is scheduled. Buyouts are a key part of a contract and a coach doesn't want to have options limited with a restriction like that.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 26th, 2024, 11:30 pm

It would be tough to enforce because you’d effectively be binding a third party (the new school) to the contract between old school and the coach. The coach is in breach of the contract when he takes a new job which is why the coach has to pay the buyout but the school is not obligated to comply with the contract so it does not have to agree to the scheduled game. The parties could negotiate that for reduced financial consideration but it is more realistic to just take the cash.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
3rdGenAggie

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 26th, 2024, 11:31 pm

Yeahhhh, I don't really have much interest in that. I don't care if Washington or VCU were to play in the Spectrum. I'd rather use contract leverage elsewhere.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 27th, 2024, 3:52 am

One thing that gets overlooked is that Odom's buyout basically paid for Sprinkle, and Sprinkle's buyout is probably at its peak (a good sum of money) since he was here for less than a year. We have a windfall of money from buyouts to get almost any coach on the market.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » March 27th, 2024, 4:07 am

Doesn't have to be the next year. Give it 3 years when all the former players have moved on. Might be awkward for the coach though.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 27th, 2024, 4:15 am

Chatman wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 4:07 am
Doesn't have to be the next year. Give it 3 years when all the former players have moved on. Might be awkward for the coach though.
Dallin Grant has it for the most awkward.
Craig Smith recruit
Ryan Odom leaves before Grant starts practicing for the Aggies
Sprinkle redshirts Grant
Sprinkle leaves before Grant plays a single regular season game.
Grant will be on his 4th coach before playing a single regular season game.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 27th, 2024, 6:37 am

I'll see if I can get the VCU buyout language. I'm intrigued how they make it work.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 27th, 2024, 11:39 am

I got a copy of Odom's VCU contract. Here's the language used for the future home/home:

Let me know if you're interested in any other numbers etc. in his contract.
Attachments
home-home.png

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 27th, 2024, 1:20 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:39 am
I got a copy of Odom's VCU contract. Here's the language used for the future home/home:

That’s pretty toothless and about what I expected to see. Thanks for sharing. Interesting read.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 27th, 2024, 1:26 pm

SLB wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 4:15 am
Chatman wrote:
Craig Smith recruit
Sprinkle redshirts Grant
Assuming the incoming coach has a scholarship for him.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 27th, 2024, 2:07 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:

So they put in a $250,000 penalty but then the end says "In the event the University is unable or unwilling to do so, the Coach's obligations under the paragraph shall be deemed to have been fulfilled."

So as long as the next school isn't willing to schedule you then the section is fulfilled and they don't have to. Literally unenforceable.

BiocatAg

Post by BiocatAg » March 27th, 2024, 2:11 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 2:07 pm
thrashsoundly wrote:

So they put in a $250,000 penalty but then the end says "In the event the University is unable or unwilling to do so, the Coach's obligations under the paragraph shall be deemed to have been fulfilled."

So as long as the next school isn't willing to schedule you then the section is fulfilled and they don't have to. Literally unenforceable.
I read that as the University being VCU, so the coach wouldn't have to try and schedule it if VCU didn't want to or couldn't do it.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 27th, 2024, 2:17 pm

BiocatAg wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 2:11 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 2:07 pm
thrashsoundly wrote:

I read that as the University being VCU, so the coach wouldn't have to try and schedule it if VCU didn't want to or couldn't do it.
Yes The University is VCU in this case.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 27th, 2024, 3:11 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 1:26 pm
SLB wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 4:15 am
Chatman wrote:
Craig Smith recruit
Sprinkle redshirts Grant
Assuming the incoming coach has a scholarship for him.
He has a scholarship. Grant was a pretty highly rated recruit.

FalseStart

Post by FalseStart » March 27th, 2024, 5:26 pm

Agreed. Just up the buyout and reinvest into the program.
These users thanked the author FalseStart for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

kenpo

Post by kenpo » March 27th, 2024, 6:08 pm

You can't bind Robber Barron University who is a non party to the contract between x-coach and USU. There is no privity of contract between Rober Barron and USU. There might be ways to incentivise it, but you can't create an enforcable promise against nonparties.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 27th, 2024, 7:06 pm

True but you can make the coach pay 250K if it doesn't happen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic