Tod Kowalczyk - Announcement on Tuesday

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GeoAg

Re: Tod Kowalczyk - Announcement on Tuesday

Post by GeoAg » March 28th, 2024, 11:03 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 9:57 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 7:48 pm
Elkaggie wrote:Back to the topic. I am curious: The lack of conf tourney and NIT success is likely because his teams are really bad on Defense. Curious what his teams ranked in conference in this area. I have suspicion that they are near the bottom, which would be a HUGE red flag for me.

Anyone know how I find this data??
They were 75 in offense and 255 in defense this year in kenpom. They were 354th in fg% on defense. 359th in 2 point defense. 339 in blocks, 278 in turnovers forced and 297 in points allowed. In short, they were one of the worst defenses in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yikes!! Why would we even consider this guy based off of this alone. We would get absolutely destroyed in the MWC with this guy at the helm.

What about Simon?
This year Bowling Green was 247 in offense and 209 in Defense, so a little better on D and drastically worse on O.

His last year at SUU was 98 on O and 141 on D. The year before he was 99 on O and 249 on D.

TK is so much better on Offense typically, I would rate him as the better choice. He was 5 on 2023 there

Eric Henderson is pretty meh here as well. The clear winner when looking at things this way is Will Wade who was 60 on O and 88 on D in 2024.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
Aggie84025

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

afausu

Post by afausu » March 29th, 2024, 7:47 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 10:57 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:Back to the topic. I am curious: The lack of conf tourney and NIT success is likely because his teams are really bad on Defense. Curious what his teams ranked in conference in this area. I have suspicion that they are near the bottom, which would be a HUGE red flag for me.

They were 75 in offense and 255 in defense this year in kenpom. They were 354th in fg% on defense. 359th in 2 point defense. 339 in blocks, 278 in turnovers forced and 297 in points allowed. In short, they were one of the worst defenses in the country.

Yikes!! Why would we even consider this guy based off of this alone. We would get absolutely destroyed in the MWC with this guy at the helm.

What about Simon?
Better not look at Simon's numbers at SUU then, because they weren't any better. My response would be: 1) Their offensive numbers were much better. 2) Yes, if you put a MAC team with MAC-level players in this year's MWC, they probably wouldn't do well. I like to believe both coaches' numbers would improve when they have MWC-level players on their roster. I haven't looked it up, but my guess is that advanced metrics didn't think highly of Sprinkle's Montana State teams or Odom's UMBC teams, because they were in lower-tier conferences and had lower-tier players.
So what you’re saying is Simon is as bad as Kowalski or whatever his name is? I just want to be sure, because you haven’t been super clear on that

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 29th, 2024, 9:34 am

The more time that goes on the less and less I think Tod K will be our next head coach.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 29th, 2024, 11:22 am

afausu wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 7:47 am
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 10:57 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

What about Simon?
Better not look at Simon's numbers at SUU then, because they weren't any better. My response would be: 1) Their offensive numbers were much better. 2) Yes, if you put a MAC team with MAC-level players in this year's MWC, they probably wouldn't do well. I like to believe both coaches' numbers would improve when they have MWC-level players on their roster. I haven't looked it up, but my guess is that advanced metrics didn't think highly of Sprinkle's Montana State teams or Odom's UMBC teams, because they were in lower-tier conferences and had lower-tier players.
So what you’re saying is Simon is as bad as Kowalski or whatever his name is? I just want to be sure, because you haven’t been super clear on that
No, my stance is that I would be thrilled with either of them. I'm just finding it weird that so many people are pro-Simon and anti-Kowalczyk given that they have very similar resumes. Both turned two bad programs into consistent winners. Neither has had any success in March. Neither seem to play much defense. I would lean slightly toward Kowalczyk if it were up to me given that he has had a higher level of success for longer. But I would be happy with either of them.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 29th, 2024, 11:56 am

BasketballAgg wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 9:34 am
The more time that goes on the less and less I think Tod K will be our next head coach.
Too bad. He'd be a great hire.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » March 29th, 2024, 12:00 pm

maybe our AD will have something to say about our coaching searches in her interview on 1280 the zone today at 1:30 :noidea:
These users thanked the author JFW_AGGIES for the post:
Aggie84025

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 29th, 2024, 1:57 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 12:00 pm
maybe our AD will have something to say about our coaching searches in her interview on 1280 the zone today at 1:30 :noidea:
If she shows up....

AggiePharm

Post by AggiePharm » March 29th, 2024, 4:37 pm

https://twitter.com/DBriggsBlade/status ... 5547195641
May or may not actually mean anything. Just interesting. From a Toledo reporter: "A lot of pieces still moving here, but Tod Kowalcyk is at Mud Hens opening day in Toledo today."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic