For those who are freaking out about Kowalczyk

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
StanfordAggie

For those who are freaking out about Kowalczyk

Post by StanfordAggie » March 28th, 2024, 12:49 pm

Read this post, which I am quoting here:
some insight from a long time Toledo fan on TK (Tod Kowalczyk). He's a great offensive coach who has built a career on relationships and created a really solid family culture at Toledo. Has kept staff long term and had little quality player turnover beyond guys graduating from UT and using their extra COVID yr to make a half mil of so at a P6. He coaches a smooth entertaining style that's a little more athletic version of the Princeton motion offense. On defense he's pretty vanilla and prefers to play clean, not foul and make opponents hit moderately contested shots. Main fan gripes are that he doesn't usually develop enough of a bench and that he hasn't recruited enough interior depth (tough at a mid major).

To understand the no NCAA tourneys and zero NIT wins you need to understand Toledo basketball. It's an historically strong program that was a national power in 40s, was integrated well before that was the norm. In the 60s-80s UT was a mid major power that drew 8,000 fans and routinely hosted and beat Big 10 teams. After the 1981 NCAA trip the curse began. For 43 years UT has continued to be one of the better programs in the league but has never made the dance somehow. This for a USU regional reference is like Weber St or E Washington never getting to the dance for 43 years even though they almost always contend for the Big Sky title. Something always goes wrong and there's enormous pressure come conf tourney time. Every season is considered a failure without breaking the curse and whole thing weighs on the team and fan base. We've been to the NIT a million times and no one wants to play or cheer for those games because it means we just missed the dance, again. During TK's 14 year tenure he took a disaster situation (a hot young ND asst was hired who was a womanizing egomaniac who forced hurt players to play, took side chicks on road trips w the team and graduated no one). TK started w no players and NCAA cut 3 scholarships and gave us a multi-year tourney ban. TK still quickly restored the program. Had a 26 win team with a #34 RPI that didn't get an at-large. Had a strong team watch the conf POY blow out his knee in the MAC tourney quarters, had another strong team lose it's PG as well as nation's #2 rebounder to injury in the quarters (to a concussion in the pregame layup line), had a 27 win team w the nation's longest win streak lose in the conf tourney semis and not get an at-large, and 4 straight conf titles w no conf tourney berth or at large. The curse continues. Personally, I see part of the issue in that he coaches a clean smooth playing style and come postseason the refs swallow their whistles and the gritty bigger physical teams gain an edge.

TK is a positive straightforward guy. He will take time to talk w fans or respond to a letter. He's not a screamer like the UC Irvine HC. Treats his players like young men and equals not kids or beneath him. Big yoga guy who has gotten his players into it over the past 5 or 6 seasons and started to reduce injuries and improve focus. Wisconsin and Ohio his whole life but he's an outdoorsy guy who would prob enjoy USU area. Toledo is an hour from Detroit, 2 from Cleveland and Columbus and 5 from the Chicago metro area and all of Indiana. That's recruiting gold and little reason for a good regional mid major to recruit much elsewhere. His son is a good, not great, D1 prospect. Family enjoys Toledo and intends to retire there even if he chooses to leave for, the likely, final chapter of his college coaching journey.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71465&start=70#p950320

Sorry for the new thread, but there have been so many coaching threads that I wanted to make sure this post doesn't get overlooked.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 7):
MetsJetsAggiesAggie84025newtonianbluestwinwardReal Life AggieWasatchAggieAggieFBObsession

MetsJetsAggies

Re: For those who are freaking out about Kowalczyk

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 28th, 2024, 12:51 pm

I do appreciate the context, esp the injuries derailing their seasons which I think we can all sympathize with
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
AggieFBObsession

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 28th, 2024, 12:53 pm

Personally, I see part of the issue in that he coaches a clean smooth playing style and come postseason the refs swallow their whistles and the gritty bigger physical teams gain an edge.

This sounds familiar....
These users thanked the author thrashsoundly for the post:
ImportAggie

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » March 28th, 2024, 12:53 pm

If he brings these 4 along nobody will be complaining. All about what he can do in the portal
These users thanked the author Aggiesbleedblue for the post:
Aggie84025

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » March 28th, 2024, 1:00 pm

Yeah, I will be all in on supporting this guy and the aggie team he brings together. But, man.. It was so fun watching our team play strong and physical this season. We finally matched SDSU and the other top teams in terms of athleticism and physicality. If he cannot bring that style of player and scheme, it will be live of die by the three again. Hopefully he can impress us all.
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post (total 3):
ImportAggiecvaltrevordude

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 28th, 2024, 1:01 pm

Why do you think his teams never win in March ?? You have to be tough to win in March and his team are not that.
These users thanked the author BasketballAgg for the post:
ImportAggie

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » March 28th, 2024, 1:02 pm

FootballAgg wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 1:01 pm
Why do you think his teams never win in March ?? You have to be tough to win in March and his team are not that.
My concern exactly.
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post:
ImportAggie

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 28th, 2024, 1:04 pm

AggiePT wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 1:00 pm
Yeah, I will be all in on supporting this guy and the aggie team he brings together. But, man.. It was so fun watching our team play strong and physical this season. We finally matched SDSU and the other top teams in terms of athleticism and physicality. If he cannot bring that style of player and scheme, it will be live of die by the three again. Hopefully he can impress us all.
This. 1000x this. RT
These users thanked the author ImportAggie for the post:
AggiePT

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 28th, 2024, 1:04 pm

AggiePT wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 1:02 pm
FootballAgg wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 1:01 pm
My concern exactly.
Yup. Odomball here we come.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 28th, 2024, 1:05 pm

So you expect us to like the guy just because a random Toledo fan says he's average and safe?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 28th, 2024, 1:05 pm

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 12:53 pm

If he brings these 4 along nobody will be complaining. All about what he can do in the portal
It’ll have to be cause he has no ties out west.

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » March 28th, 2024, 1:12 pm

I know it’s a safe hire just seem real vanilla and from the sounds of it run gun and giggle offense that doesn’t win mwc championships.
These users thanked the author BigCountryAG for the post (total 3):
EngineeringAggiehipsterdoofus21AggiePT

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 28th, 2024, 1:17 pm

I'm pretty confused about the hate toward a coach who took over two dumpster fires and turned them into both into consistent 20-win programs and has won 400 games along the way. Todd Simon hasn't had half the success that Kowalczyk has had, and he was also responsible for one of the most epic March meltdowns in recent history, but people would have preferred him? I don't get it. Call me crazy for preferring a coach with a long history of success rather than some young coach who got hot for a couple seasons.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025Aggie formerly in HawaiiAggieFBObsession

Donman

Post by Donman » March 28th, 2024, 1:27 pm

Aggie fans are bipolar. Either we are down in the dumps or we think we Coach K (from Duke) would come out of retirement to coach us.

Man has a great track record. Maybe better than any of the last 3 coaches who came here. Let's see how he does.
These users thanked the author Donman for the post (total 2):
StanfordAggieAggieFBObsession

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 28th, 2024, 1:29 pm

Donman wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 1:27 pm
Aggie fans are bipolar. Either we are down in the dumps or we think we Coach K (from Duke) would come out of retirement to coach us.

Man has a great track record. Maybe better than any of the last 3 coaches who came here. Let's see how he does.
Not Coach K, but someone better than this Toledo coach.

Aggie fans are a weird bunch. There is a segment of you guys who will cheer on whatever Utah State does. They can do no wrong. Every decision is perfect. You probably said the same think when Duryea was hired.

cval

Post by cval » March 28th, 2024, 1:31 pm

The long post from the Toledo fan was not that reassuring.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 28th, 2024, 1:36 pm

I'm going to hold off judging on this occasion especially since USU hit three straight times. I didn't think the last three coaches would be as successful as they were. Craig Smith coached South Dakota and never coached an NCAA tournament game before he came here. Odom coached one which was a more memorable one, but he wasn't really getting his teams into March on a regular basis. So with that I'm just going to sit back and watch and see how this unfolds. It'd be wise if some of you did the same.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post (total 7):
JFWAggieAggie84025StanfordAggieereksonaggie95Real Life AggieWasatchAggieAggieFBObsession

apo

Post by apo » March 28th, 2024, 1:38 pm

I have been told that Tod and Todd will be alternating coaching the men’s and women’s games. Whomever wins the most games at the end of the season gets to coach the men’s team
These users thanked the author apo for the post (total 2):
ToastedFlakes52WasatchAggie

SLB

Post by SLB » March 28th, 2024, 1:40 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 1:29 pm
Donman wrote:

Aggie fans are a weird bunch. There is a segment of you guys who will cheer on whatever Utah State does. They can do no wrong. Every decision is perfect. You probably said the same think when Duryea was hired.
Let's wait and see but not the most exciting one on the market. I do like that we have a head coach with a history of winning games, but the home run potential was Simon or the South Dakota State coach.
Last edited by SLB on March 28th, 2024, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 28th, 2024, 1:40 pm

Maybe coach K reads these comments and it puts a chip on his shoulder

Gotta be interesting to think what he and the ADs thoughts are on reactions so far

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 28th, 2024, 2:06 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 1:36 pm
I'm going to hold off judging on this occasion especially since USU hit three straight times. I didn't think the last three coaches would be as successful as they were. Craig Smith coached South Dakota and never coached an NCAA tournament game before he came here. Odom coached one which was a more memorable one, but he wasn't really getting his teams into March on a regular basis. So with that I'm just going to sit back and watch and see how this unfolds. It'd be wise if some of you did the same.
Hartwell and Bovee hit 3 straight times. Diana whiffed.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
2004AG

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 28th, 2024, 2:07 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:06 pm
Aggiealum13 wrote:
We don't know if she whiffed yet.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 28th, 2024, 2:08 pm

SLB wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 1:40 pm
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:

Let's wait and see but not the most exciting one on the market. I do like that we have a head coach with a history of winning games, but the home run potential was Simon or the South Dakota State coach.
What makes you think that Simon and Henderson have more upside than Kowaczyk?

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 28th, 2024, 2:11 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:07 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
Yeah, it seems a little premature to say she whiffed when he has coached zero games so far. It also seems a little insane to say that a coach who inherited two complete dumpster fires and turned them into consistent 20-game winners is somehow a "whiff." If someone said, "I liked Simon better and thought he had more upside, but Kowalcyzk also has an impressive resume," I could buy that. But people are acting like we just hired TJ Plain or something.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
bigblue32

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » March 28th, 2024, 2:11 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
How is it a whiff? He Hasn’t even had a chance to complain about lack of charters and lack of NIL yet.
These users thanked the author bigblue32 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

SLB

Post by SLB » March 28th, 2024, 2:15 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:08 pm
SLB wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:

Henderson was the NCAA tournament regular with South Dakota State with countless wins and finding great players.
Simon has taken two bad basketball schools and turn them into 20-win program (Simon has now 4 20-win seasons in a row) while he was there. Simon has been coaching at UNLV, SUU, and Bowling Green, and Simon knows a lot of our players while having the Utahn recruiting going strong. Simon could hire Dave Rice as assistant coach which would be a game changer.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Aggie84025

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 28th, 2024, 2:16 pm

SLB wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:

TBH I am not sure the SDSU coach has the huge upside. He inherited a really good program and has sustained that success but SDSU was already performing really well under Scott Nagy and Otzelberger. He certainly has maintained the success but not certain it is him or just the program in general.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 28th, 2024, 2:31 pm

SLB wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:15 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:08 pm
SLB wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:

Henderson was the NCAA tournament regular with South Dakota State with countless wins and finding great players.
Simon has taken two bad basketball schools and turn them into 20-win program (Simon has now 4 20-win seasons in a row) while he was there. Simon has been coaching at UNLV, SUU, and Bowling Green, and Simon knows a lot of our players while having the Utahn recruiting going strong. Simon could hire Dave Rice as assistant coach which would be a game changer.
Well, it's worth pointing out that Kowalczyk has also taken over two horrible programs and turned them into consistent winners. And he has won 20 games four years in a row (and six out of the last seven).

As for Simon's recruiting, I hadn't realized that Findlay Prep closed down a few years ago, so that pipeline is permanently closed. That made me significantly less excited about Simon's potential as a recruiter. Simon and Rice signed a high percentage of their blue chip players at UNLV out of Findlay. I'm not as excited about Simon (nor Rice) as a recruiter if they can't pull players from Findlay. And as I noted in the other thread, the only one of our previous coaches who had any real recruiting connections in Utah was Duryea, so I think Utah recruiting ties are overrated.

To be clear, I would have been quite happy with Simon or Henderson as well. But Kowalczyk has sustained his success over a much longer period of time. So I am quite happy with this hire.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 28th, 2024, 2:35 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
How does one whiff before entering the batters box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
Aggie84025

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 28th, 2024, 2:37 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:35 pm
Aggiealum13 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:

Fan support.

I’ve never seen the board or the general fan base this split on a coaching hire since Duryea

Aggie4L1fe

Post by Aggie4L1fe » March 28th, 2024, 2:37 pm

apo wrote:I have been told that Tod and Todd will be alternating coaching the men’s and women’s games. Whomever wins the most games at the end of the season gets to coach the men’s team
And if they win the same amount of games, we will buy out Florida’s current HC Todd golden.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 28th, 2024, 2:39 pm

I am seriously wondering about our AD. There is zero excitement factor with this hire. He was honestly the least qualified of any of those being considered. I would have taken Andy Hill over this. Un real.

bpd

Post by bpd » March 28th, 2024, 2:40 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
Dumb comment.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 4):
utaggiesAggie formerly in HawaiiAGinNEIowaAggieFBObsession

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 28th, 2024, 2:40 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:39 pm
I am seriously wondering about our AD. There is zero excitement factor with this hire. He was honestly the least qualified of any of those being considered. I would have taken Andy Hill over this. Un real.
This is just not true. He was the most qualified. He has the highest level of sustained success of any of the main candidates.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
StanfordAggieAggieFBObsession

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 28th, 2024, 2:42 pm

FootballAgg wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:37 pm
FeartheFro wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:35 pm
Aggiealum13 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:

Fan support.

I’ve never seen the board or the general fan base this split on a coaching hire since Duryea
I hope our AD never makes a hire based on fan support on this board.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 10):
bigblue32Aggie84025utaggiesstewusu98Real Life AggieBiocatAgNowhereLandAggieflying_scotsman2.0AggieFBObsessionOKAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic