Sabau ghosted KSL sports zone at 1:30

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hickaggie

Re: Sabau ghosted KSL sports zone at 1:30

Post by hickaggie » March 29th, 2024, 4:37 pm

bpd wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 4:17 pm
hickaggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:54 pm
TrueAG wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:44 pm
SLB wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:42 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:40 pm
I may have misheard but I believe she just said the coaching staff diversity didn't match what was on the roster. I wonder if that's feedback from players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She said those exact words. :disappointed:
This upsets you? Why?
Because 10 years ago that topic would never be brought up. Now these admins have to cow-tow to a bunch of snowflakes who have been taught that the color of one's skin matters after we spent 150 years trying to move away from that. I am all for players having the ability to get paid and to stay or go based upon any reason they want to but to but knowing that if we hire a coach of a certain color that his staff decisions are going to have to be based on catering to a bunch of woke snowflakes so they don't at best transfer and at the worst refuse to play...It just makes the whole college athletics mess even less appealing if that's possible. Sorry about all the incorrect PC here but I've seen enough of the new college culture to read between the lines.
lol. Dude living in Utah gets upset that that players want to be around people that look like them.
I haven't lived in Utah for 15 years and you didn't read this thread at all. I agree 100% that to recruit at the college level you need to have a staff that can recruit and the kids are comfortable with culturally. Logan is understandably an alien world for any recruit outside of Utah and 100 times for so for a minority kid from an inner city. Hell it seems pretty alien to me now even having grown up in the area. It would probably be malpractice for a coach to not have resources on staff if he isn't from that background. That never was my point at all.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 29th, 2024, 4:39 pm

Hoot wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 4:19 pm
I feel like you should just hire the best staff possible.
This is the right move keeping in mind that "best" is subjective.

If the focus is on retaining our championship team then their voices ought to be heard. Admin decided this was iportant enough to have high on the hiring criteria.

Regardless of how you interpret this decision, I don't think it's productive to debate this here outside the sandbox since a lot of eyes are on our program right now.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 29th, 2024, 4:41 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 4:26 pm
hickaggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
I may have misheard but I believe she just said the coaching staff diversity didn't match what was on the roster. I wonder if that's feedback from players.

This upsets you? Why?
Because 10 years ago that topic would never be brought up. Now these admins have to cow-tow to a bunch of snowflakes who have been taught that the color of one's skin matters after we spent 150 years trying to move away from that. I am all for players having the ability to get paid and to stay or go based upon any reason they want to but to but knowing that if we hire a coach of a certain color that his staff decisions are going to have to be based on catering to a bunch of woke snowflakes so they don't at best transfer and at the worst refuse to play...It just makes the whole college athletics mess even less appealing if that's possible. Sorry about all the incorrect PC here but I've seen enough of the new college culture to read between the lines.
Posted with zero irony... GODDAMN SNOWFLAKES!!!

Yes those goddamned snowflakes..lol. I'll admit I'm too old school and probably wrong and I saw the irony when I wrote it. World has moved on but I don't have to like it..lol

columbusaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by columbusaggie » March 29th, 2024, 4:41 pm

I hope this fing person gets hired soon you all are melting down. Jesus it’s a college team, let’s keep it in perspective.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » March 29th, 2024, 4:49 pm

Can we move the Sandbox stuff to the Sandbox please??? I'm with Sdubiv, and just watching Old Main for blue smoke.

Thx.
These users thanked the author WasatchAggie for the post:
Sdubiv

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 29th, 2024, 4:52 pm

Agezzz wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 4:07 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:04 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:46 pm
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

As she was listing out various factors they’re looking for in a coach she said one of those was a coach that had a diverse coaching staff to match the diversity of rosters in this sport, which we didn’t really have before.

I’m sure that is player feedback and is spot on and a good thing to do at usu.
Should that philosophy not extend to the student body too? And the town of Logan? If you want a coach to feel rooted in the community, that coach will need a community that looks and thinks like him/ her and has similar life experiences. And the players don't just interact with the coaches, they interact with their fellow students. It seems to me that if USU wants to recruit a particular person for their athletic teams, they need to be recruiting similar people to the university.
100%. USU would be a better university if it attracted more students of different races/religions/backgrounds.

You are 100% right on!! And that takes effort.... USU looks like the opposite of a HBCU College/University.
Except that pesky 14th amendment equal protection thing SCOTUS finally recognized. A university is not better for simply getting more diverse simply for the sake of being diverse. USU primarily serves Utah with Utah discounted tuition and the student body will always be reflective of the "high diversity" of Utah. If the University can improve on getting more diverse applications and that results in more competitive admissions and a more diverse student population while preserving merit I would agree with that.

But the implication that diversity should be a goal over merit, or that diversity for the general student population should be a goal to attract better athletes (well maybe the latter is a good reason..lol), but think about what you are saying here.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 3):
USUaggiesignalwarIdahomeAggie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 29th, 2024, 5:02 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

As she was listing out various factors they’re looking for in a coach she said one of those was a coach that had a diverse coaching staff to match the diversity of rosters in this sport, which we didn’t really have before.

I’m sure that is player feedback and is spot on and a good thing to do at usu.
Does this mean we need to hire more coaches and does this mean that if we continue to hire short fat white bald coaches that we will get short fat white bald players? If we hire gueek squad coaches will we get gueeky players? Is it okay to hire a woman coach?

I think we should hire Karl Malone, Hakeem, and Nowitski. Can Edey's dad coach?

:stirpot:

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 29th, 2024, 5:07 pm

This thread is depressing
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
thrashsoundly

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 29th, 2024, 5:12 pm

hickaggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 4:37 pm
bpd wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 4:17 pm
hickaggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

This upsets you? Why?
lol. Dude living in Utah gets upset that that players want to be around people that look like them.
I haven't lived in Utah for 15 years and you didn't read this thread at all. I agree 100% that to recruit at the college level you need to have a staff that can recruit and the kids are comfortable with culturally. Logan is understandably an alien world for any recruit outside of Utah and 100 times for so for a minority kid from an inner city. Hell it seems pretty alien to me now even having grown up in the area. It would probably be malpractice for a coach to not have resources on staff if he isn't from that background. That never was my point at all.
In other words, you’ve gone on these epics rants only to agree completely in the end that Sabau is doing exactly what she should do…..
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiChicagoAggie

jackattack

Post by jackattack » March 29th, 2024, 5:14 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:22 pm
I'm just going to step in here and defend Diana here. She has a ton going on with her personal life as well as the responsibility of hiring two new basketball coaches. I know it's messy but trust the process things will work out. We just need to be a little more patient.
I have a theory we were set to hire Tod(d) and then another candidate or candidate's agent reached out that we didn't think we would even have a chance to get or were on our radar and we had to pivot. That's honestly what this smells like right now.
That could be a reason. I also wonder how often these coaches negotiate in bad faith. I’m usually a pretty patient guy, but I’m a little frustrated with the whole situation. I really hope we have a coach announced by next Tuesday.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » March 29th, 2024, 6:02 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 5:02 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Does this mean we need to hire more coaches and does this mean that if we continue to hire short fat white bald coaches that we will get short fat white bald players? If we hire gueek squad coaches will we get gueeky players? Is it okay to hire a woman coach?

:stirpot:
^^^^
No. It means we hire the ghost of Rick Majerus, heaven forbid.
These users thanked the author WasatchAggie for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 29th, 2024, 6:12 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 4:39 pm
Hoot wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 4:19 pm
I feel like you should just hire the best staff possible.
This is the right move keeping in mind that "best" is subjective.

If the focus is on retaining our championship team then their voices ought to be heard. Admin decided this was iportant enough to have high on the hiring criteria.

Regardless of how you interpret this decision, I don't think it's productive to debate this here outside the sandbox since a lot of eyes are on our program right now.
I want the guys who will win the most games. If that’s who the current players want then cool. If they want someone else that’s cool too but getting W’s has to be top priority. If you win enough games the rest of the problems will take care of themselves.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

signalwar

Post by signalwar » March 29th, 2024, 6:37 pm

Are there enough experienced coaches to fill a staff to reflect 80%+ diversity nationwide? 350+ programs? It may take a while, but has definitely improved.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 29th, 2024, 6:37 pm

hickaggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

This upsets you? Why?
Other people have already made this point, but to me, this has zero to do with "wokeness" and everything to do with trying to win basketball games. Stew used to talk about the fact that the #1 thing that opposing coaches used against him on the recruiting trail was the perception that Utah/Logan is not a friendly place for African-Americans. He also said that he felt like having at least one black assistant on his staff was essentially for recruiting. So it was reassuring to hear that Sabau was aware of the issue and trying to do something about it.

Also, I don't think it is far to call a black player/recruit a "woke snowflake" because they are nervous about moving to a city with almost zero African-Americans where the dominant religion has some unfortunate history with regards to its treatment of African Americans. Calling someone in his position a "woke snowflake" is precisely the sort of thing that opposing coaches use to convince African American players to steer clear of Logan.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 29th, 2024, 6:55 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 4:20 pm
SoJo_Aggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:58 pm
hickaggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:55 pm
SoJo_Aggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:41 pm
hickaggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:37 pm
SoJo_Aggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:28 pm
hickaggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:20 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:02 pm
Forever-an-aggie wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

This upsets you? Why?
Well at least your username is fitting. If you are that dense that you don’t understand the importance of diversity especially in the coaching staff of a sports team then I think you are what's called a sheep.
I typed this same response out and then decided it wasn't worth the effort but I'm glad you did it haha

I absolutely understand we got to get the right color and coaching on a modern staff in the NIL no transfer era. Doesn't mean I'm still not old school and it gets me less excited to watch these mercenaries play. I got the opportunity to play and player coach with a lot of kids just 5-10 years older than the current crop of college kids, and I really enjoyed it but they are still way more sensitive and flaky overall, definitely can't coach them like I was, and when you add in the college woke culture its just off-putting. It is not hard for a new coach to find top of the line minority talent and diverse recruiting backgrounds are just as necessary. If a coach didn't have any diversity on staff I would look at that just as skeptically...but I interpreted the AD's comment much differently and it stank of the kind of woke academic CYA language that is rampant (and I'll admit necessary)in today's brainwashed academic culture and coddled athletes.

Just doesn't make me more excited. But that's just me and I'm in the clear minority.
College "Woke Culture" give me a break
LOL..I have represented people in Title 9 actions and have gotten a real education from depositions and 100's of documents on college academic culture. Woke is putting it nicely. What we are putting kids through right now is a travesty. Probably sand box stuff but you brought it up. How exactly would you describe it?
Entitled white guys upset that they don't get special treatment, and a steady supply of right wing propaganda
lol..No nothing to do with "right wing propaganda" or "entitled white guys". That stuff is what it may have looked like 30 years ago. No more like "bat (I can't express myself without swearing) crazy" and not even in a political way.
lol the University has a program literally called the Koch Scholars using funding from the Libertarian Koch Brothers, I've been around the world and I can tell you Logan and Utah State is not in any way, shape or form some liberal hot bed, and that's ignoring the fact that 99.9% of people that use woke as an insult can't even define what WOKE is or why it's bad, just a buzz word for the braindead
Oh this thread is own it's way to my domaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain HA!

:devil: :stirpot:
A website dedicated to gay whale porn?

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 29th, 2024, 7:44 pm

Hoot wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 6:55 pm
ViAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 4:20 pm
Oh this thread is own it's way to my domaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain HA!

:devil: :stirpot:
A website dedicated to gay whale porn?
Hey man, Vi's website, BarebackHumpbacks, is the best thing to come out of Temecula.

I support you, Vi.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
HootStanfordAggie

dogie

Post by dogie » March 29th, 2024, 11:44 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:04 pm
It was the am/pm thing,
Twas the volume!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic