Jerrod Calhoun!!!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Re: Jerrod Calhoun!!!

Post by SLB » March 30th, 2024, 7:48 am

FL350Aggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 7:44 am
https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2024/3 ... rsity.aspx

It’s confirmed!!
The Ohio hype machine is in full force.
It looks pretty good on paper, but we shall see how he does at Utah State.

columbusaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by columbusaggie » March 30th, 2024, 7:57 am

SLB wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 7:48 am
FL350Aggie wrote:

It’s confirmed!!
Nothing wrong with Ohio SLB! Other than the snow and cold.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 30th, 2024, 8:01 am

columbusaggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 7:57 am
SLB wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:

It’s confirmed!!
Not hating on Ohio
The whole Ohio thing is more of a joke of the all-Ohio coaching search.

ucfpengbuck

Post by ucfpengbuck » March 30th, 2024, 8:13 am

Hello from Youngstown. Congratulations on the hire of coach Calhoun and don't worry he will do a great job with your program. Let me say I'm totally ignorant about USU and what players you have and returning. As a life time follower of YSU and that's over 50 years maybe I can give some insight.
This program was garbage in the 40 + years of D1 until Calhoun appeared and his first two years were tough. You need to know that Youngstown is a commuter school with sub par facilities in basketball and the area is known as the rust bucket and recruiting against the MAC shools in the area like Akron,Kent State and even Horizon league Cleveland State left YSU at a disadvantage. Also,YSU is know for being a football school with the success that Jim Tressel had here before going to OSU.

In my opinion this is what coach Calhoun brings.
1.Charisma and passion. You will know first hand from his introduction press coverage that this guy is a great communicator and feel his enthusasm to lead your program.
2.He's a players coach and the guys love playing for him. He encourages his bigs to shoot the 3 pointer and some of these guys were transfers that never would have that freedom at their previous school.
3.He likes transition basketball rather than a set offense. His teams always had all five guys that were going to rebound the ball.

I would say his Achilles heel was not getting over the hump in the conference tournament and sometimes that's just a stroke of bad luck which was frustrating to the fan base. On the other hand he led us to back to back 20 plus winning season which was a first in YSU D1 history. Our program has never made the NCAA tourney and we were hoping that Coach C would get us there.
I read on your board that some of you would like to see 7-3 Gabe Dynes transfer in and yes he has potential to be one of the best shot blockers in the nation and his defense with his length can really change the outcome . He's still a project on offense mostly because his slight frame and strength. The guy you should want is DJ Burns who just left YSU for the portal. Big time rebounder who has the ability to lead the nation in double doubles.

Last point is that Calhoun made YSU a winner by the transfer portal and while he did recruit some decent HS guys it was the portal that got them over the hump. Not sure what YSU NIL budget was but I heard it was suprisingly one of the best in the Horizon League so that might of had a major impact. Not sure how that equate at USU. I'm guessing that you guys can go out and get the highly rated HS players in your geographical area while YSU probably couldn't get a 3 star player although Dwayne Cohil was one but he transferred in from Dayton.
These users thanked the author ucfpengbuck for the post (total 22):
ImportAggieAggie702NowhereLandAggieZaggie07AgTimeflying_scotsman2.0HootRoy McAvoyaggietimeUSU78 and 12 more users

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 30th, 2024, 8:20 am

When will his salary be announced? What are the numbers?

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 30th, 2024, 8:21 am

ucfpengbuck wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:13 am
Hello from Youngstown. Congratulations on the hire of coach Calhoun and don't worry he will do a great job with your program. Let me say I'm totally ignorant about USU and what players you have and returning. As a life time follower of YSU and that's over 50 years maybe I can give some insight.
This program was garbage in the 40 + years of D1 until Calhoun appeared and his first two years were tough. You need to know that Youngstown is a commuter school with sub par facilities in basketball and the area is known as the rust bucket and recruiting against the MAC shools in the area like Akron,Kent State and even Horizon league Cleveland State left YSU at a disadvantage. Also,YSU is know for being a football school with the success that Jim Tressel had here before going to OSU.

1.Charisma and passion. You will know first hand from his introduction press coverage that this guy is a great communicator and feel his enthusasm to lead your program.
2.He's a players coach and the guys love playing for him. He encourages his bigs to shoot the 3 pointer and some of these guys were transfers that never would have that freedom at their previous school.
3.He likes transition basketball rather than a set offense. His teams always had all five guys that were going to rebound the ball.

I would say his Achilles heel was not getting over the hump in the conference tournament and sometimes that's just a stroke of bad luck which was frustrating to the fan base. On the other hand he led us to back to back 20 plus winning season which was a first in YSU D1 history. Our program has never made the NCAA tourney and we were hoping that Coach C would get us there.
I read on your board that some of you would like to see 7-3 Gabe Dynes transfer in and yes he has potential to be one of the best shot blockers in the nation and his defense with his length can really change the outcome . He's still a project on offense mostly because his slight frame and strength. The guy you should want is DJ Burns who just left YSU for the portal. Big time rebounder who has the ability to lead the nation in double doubles.

Last point is that Calhoun made YSU a winner by the transfer portal and while he did recruit some decent HS guys it was the portal that got them over the hump. Not sure what YSU NIL budget was but I heard it was suprisingly one of the best in the Horizon League so that might of had a major impact. Not sure how that equate at USU. I'm guessing that you guys can go out and get the highly rated HS players in your geographical area while YSU probably couldn't get a 3 star player although Dwayne Cohil was one but he transferred in from Dayton.
Thank you so much! Appreciate your graciousness and Tun down.

Burns looks PHENOMENAL. Thought he was out of eligibility so that’s great news if he’s an option. Looks like a stud and good guy
These users thanked the author ImportAggie for the post:
ucfpengbuck

columbusaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by columbusaggie » March 30th, 2024, 8:35 am

SLB wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:01 am
columbusaggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 7:57 am
SLB wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:

It’s confirmed!!
Not hating on Ohio
The whole Ohio thing is more of a joke of the all-Ohio coaching search.
Go with watcha know. I think a good coach will be just that anywhere with the correct resources.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 30th, 2024, 8:35 am

ImportAggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:21 am
ucfpengbuck wrote:

Burns looks PHENOMENAL. Thought he was out of eligibility so that’s great news if he’s an option. Looks like a stud and good guy
Big Fish was part of the hiring process.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 30th, 2024, 8:37 am

A front line of Burns, Fish, and Great would be pretty fantastic
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
ImportAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

SLB

Post by SLB » March 30th, 2024, 8:39 am

Learning about bigs who shoot 3s
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 4):
ImportAggieZaggie07FromLItoLoganReal Life Aggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 30th, 2024, 8:40 am

Guys, I have to admit after all the red flags with this 2 tod(d)’s the more I read about this guy the more excited I get. There’s a lot to get excited about.

Regarding style of play I love this paragraph from the official announcement:
“Along with posting a 22-10 record during the 2023-24 campaign, Calhoun also guided the Penguins to a 14-6 Horizon League record and a second-place finish. Youngstown State averaged 81.2 points per game and allowed just 70.9, both of which ranked second in the conference. The Penguins also made 282 3-pointers to rank as the second-most in school history.”
Last edited by Elkaggie on March 30th, 2024, 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025hipsterdoofus21MetsJetsAggies

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 30th, 2024, 8:40 am

SLB wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:35 am
ImportAggie wrote:
ucfpengbuck wrote:

I doubt burns would come if Great stays.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 30th, 2024, 8:43 am

slcagg wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:40 am
SLB wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:35 am
ImportAggie wrote:
ucfpengbuck wrote:

I doubt burns would come if Great stays.
Maybe, but he is listed as a 3 abd can shoot the 3. He would be a perfect compliment to Great and needs to prove he can play on the wing to play at the next level
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
ImportAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

SLB

Post by SLB » March 30th, 2024, 8:45 am

Rumor has it that Calhoun got hooked when watching Johnson.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
jackattack

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 30th, 2024, 8:48 am

Man I just don’t think we have room for both Dynes & Burns depending on who stays.

We already have

C) Great Osobor, Jackson Grant
F) Isaac Johnson, Kalifa Sakho, Karson Templin.

Even if Grant leaves if one of those guys comes it’s really crowded. Especially since maybe we’ll get Agbonkpolo back. There’s just not enough minutes to go around for a 6th year senior like Burns. Especially since we need scholarships to bolster the Guard line.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on March 30th, 2024, 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 30th, 2024, 8:48 am

SLB wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:45 am
If true, makes me thrilled. Isaac has so much unreached potential. Same with Templin. Would love to see those 2 become bigger contributors.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 30th, 2024, 8:50 am

ImportAggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:48 am
SLB wrote:
If true, makes me thrilled. Isaac has so much unreached potential. Same with Templin. Would love to see those 2 become bigger contributors.
I like Templin - but it's going to take some time for me to erase the memories of him running right at Purdues front line and tossing up shots that had no prayer lol

SLB

Post by SLB » March 30th, 2024, 8:52 am

ImportAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
It was a joke....
Ever gone fishing, I admit that I was fishing for a bad pun here.
Aggie84025

SLB

Post by SLB » March 30th, 2024, 8:53 am

Dallin Grant and Isaac Johnson would benefit the most from a coach who wants his bigs to shoot 3s.
ImportAggie

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 30th, 2024, 8:55 am

SLB wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:52 am
ImportAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
It was a joke....
Well, I took that one hook line a sinker lol. It was so elite it went right over my head

But I still think what I said is true. He has developed some nice bigs and encourages them to shoot from distance. I think that’ll do well with our current talent
These users thanked the author ImportAggie for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » March 30th, 2024, 8:55 am

ImportAggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:55 am
SLB wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:52 am
ImportAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
It was a joke....
Well, I took that one hook line a sinker lol. It was so elite it went right over my head

But I still think what I said is true. He has developed some nice bigs and encourages them to shoot from distance. I think that’ll do well with our current talent
I baited you on that

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 30th, 2024, 8:56 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Man I just don’t think we have room for both Dynes & Burns depending on who stays.

We already have

Even if Grant leaves if one of those guys comes it’s really crowded. Especially since maybe we’ll get Agbonkpolo back. There’s just not enough minutes to go around for a 6th year senior like Burns. Especially since we need scholarships to bolster the Guard line.
Jackson grant? Really?
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
SLB

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 30th, 2024, 8:58 am

slcagg wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:56 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:

We already have

Jackson grant? Really?
He’s currently on the team and on scholarship. I’ve never known a new coach to come and not give a current scholarship player a chance and just kick him off the team.

We know Sakho was actually the backup center & F.

If all these guys come back and we get max back, bringing in Dynes & Burns would be using 8 of the 13 scholarship on the PF/C position. Which just isn’t going to happen.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 30th, 2024, 9:07 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:58 am
slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

We already have

Jackson grant? Really?
He’s currently on the team and on scholarship. I’ve never known a new coach to come and not give a current scholarship player a chance and just kick him off the team.

If all these guys come back and we get max back, bringing in Dynes & Burns would be using 8 of the 13 scholarship on the PF/C position. Which just isn’t going to happen.
I have to imagine that some of the guys that were buried deeper in the bench are waiting to see what the guys ahead of them are doing. If the 7 guys that actually got minutes last year all commit to come back, I would guess that the deep bench guys hit the portal. If the starters hit the portal, the bench guys stick around because they will see it as an opportunity.

In other words I think we will have some openings either way. I hope the starters stay and we can bring in a point guard.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 30th, 2024, 9:09 am

Elkaggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:40 am
Guys, I have to admit after all the red flags with this 2 tod(d)’s the more I read about this guy the more excited I get. There’s a lot to get excited about.

Regarding style of play I love this paragraph from the official announcement:
“Along with posting a 22-10 record during the 2023-24 campaign, Calhoun also guided the Penguins to a 14-6 Horizon League record and a second-place finish. Youngstown State averaged 81.2 points per game and allowed just 70.9, both of which ranked second in the conference. The Penguins also made 282 3-pointers to rank as the second-most in school history.”
Agreed, he checks a lot of great boxes. Reading into his experience I think with the resources and homecourt advantage the Aggies have that he can be successful here.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 30th, 2024, 9:11 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 9:07 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

We already have

Jackson grant? Really?

I have to imagine that some of the guys that were buried deeper in the bench are waiting to see what the guys ahead of them are doing. If the 7 guys that actually got minutes last year all commit to come back, I would guess that the deep bench guys hit the portal. If the starters hit the portal, the bench guys stick around because they will see it as an opportunity.

In other words I think we will have some openings either way. I hope the starters stay and we can bring in a point guard.
Jackson grant is the only guy who fits this description. I actually doubt Templin is going anywhere.

I’m super interested to see what happens with Max Agbonkpolo. At the last coaches luncheon Sprinkle basically said he was coming back this next year for his 6th year, and I’d be surprised if he offered him a spot at Washington.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 30th, 2024, 9:15 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 9:11 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

We already have

Jackson grant? Really?

Jackson grant is the only guy who fits this description. I actually doubt Templin is going anywhere.

I’m super interested to see what happens with Max Agbonkpolo. At the last coaches luncheon Sprinkle basically said he was coming back this next year for his 6th year, and I’d be surprised if he offered him a spot at Washington.
Has max had previous injury issues?

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 30th, 2024, 9:16 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

We already have

Jackson grant? Really?

I could see Burris waiting to see what the other guys do before deciding to portal himself. I could also see guys like Phelps and maybe Dallin Grant doing the same thing.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 30th, 2024, 9:18 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 9:16 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

We already have

Jackson grant? Really?

I could see Burris waiting to see what the other guys do before deciding to portal himself. I could also see guys like Phelps and maybe Dallin Grant doing the same thing.
I’m just referencing the big men positions, since that’s what Burns & Dynes play and there was talk about both transferring here from Youngstown st.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 30th, 2024, 9:19 am

What do people think the chances are that Mason, Great, Ian and Josh all return to play for Calhoun?

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 30th, 2024, 9:20 am

ImportAggie wrote:
ucfpengbuck wrote:

Yes, thanks so much for taking the time to share your insights on Coach Calhoun. I will be cheering for you guys in the future. Best of luck with your new coach.
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post:
ucfpengbuck

cval

Post by cval » March 30th, 2024, 9:55 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 9:16 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

We already have

Jackson grant? Really?

I am sure the team knows what we have in D. Grant and Phelps, but we as fans don’t. If they are real contributors, we have the makings of a really good team. If not, I could see them moving on. I suspect they know where they stand in ability relative to the team, and that will guide their decisions.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 30th, 2024, 10:07 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 8:48 pm
I am upgrading my excitement about Jerrod to a 7/10 after reviewing his team’s defensive stats.
Curious, what was your excitement level when we hired Sprinkle? How about Odom? Smith? Duryea??

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 30th, 2024, 10:11 am

ChicagoAggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 10:07 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 8:48 pm
I am upgrading my excitement about Jerrod to a 7/10 after reviewing his team’s defensive stats.
Curious, what was your excitement level when we hired Sprinkle? How about Odom? Smith? Duryea??
Duryea 0/10
Smith 7/10
Odom 10/10
Sprinkle 10/10

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » March 30th, 2024, 10:17 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 10:35 pm

I know that there are some people who have a lot to disagree with anytime we hire a coach.

But can we all agree there is something very hideous about the letter on his shirt?
First thing I thought was, "burn that jacket immediately."
These users thanked the author SeattleAg for the post:
StanfordAggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic