Women's BB

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

Women's BB

Post by ViAggie » March 30th, 2024, 11:43 am

hopefully with the right coach in place, we'll finally generate some excitement around Women's Basketball at USU and at least be competitive in conference.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

HomeTown

Re: Women's BB

Post by HomeTown » March 30th, 2024, 11:55 am

Amount of interest in women's basketball. 0/10

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 30th, 2024, 12:12 pm

HomeTown wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 11:55 am
Cool, thanks for coming into a thread titled "Women's BB" to let us know how little interest you have in Women's BB!! Apprecaite your contributions!!
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 14):
greggers1868Zaggie07LarryTheAggieViAggietrueblooded_aggieMrBiggleFromLItoLoganflying_scotsman2.0AggieBluesDkdavis and 4 more users

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 30th, 2024, 12:14 pm

I really really want a relative women's basketball program.

I just want USU athletics as a whole to succeed.
These users thanked the author BasketballAgg for the post:
ViAggie

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 30th, 2024, 12:15 pm

I'll give the AD a little bit of leeway, given that we're supposedly looking at at least one assistant who is coaching this weekend. But if we don't hear a name pretty soon that's a pretty awful look given that they've known the WBB job will be opening for even longer than the MBB job.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
ViAggie

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » March 30th, 2024, 12:15 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 11:43 am
hopefully with the right coach in place, we'll finally generate some excitement around Women's Basketball at USU and at least be competitive in conference.
I know I have Aggie blue goggles on, but seeing the support that volleyball and soccer gets, I think women’s hoops can become something great. Where’s the daggone announcement?!?
These users thanked the author greggers1868 for the post (total 2):
ViAggieflying_scotsman2.0

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 30th, 2024, 12:21 pm

So here’s a sincere question I have about this.

Resources are finite at usu. How many of you would like see additional resources pulled from football, basketball, and even other sports at usu and put into women’s bball to help make it more relevant?

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 30th, 2024, 12:24 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 12:21 pm

Resources are finite at usu. How many of you would like see additional resources pulled from football, basketball, and even other sports at usu and put into women’s bball to help make it more relevant?
The football program gets far too many resources for us to be a regular 6-6 barely make a bowl game program. I would have no problem pulling large funds for the football program and I knows that’s an unpopular opinion.

Do not, under any circumstances, take any resources from men’s basketball.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 30th, 2024, 12:33 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

That's the wrong question to ask.

I badly, badly want our women's basketball team to be relevant. But they have currently have everything they need to be able to do so in terms of resources and funding, they just haven't had an administration that gives a single sh*t about the program so lazy hires and personnel decisions have plagued the program.

I have hope that the current administration is different, and I think Diana is going to make a good hire this time around.

Putting more resources won't make the program relevant. Winning will. The program is irrelevant because it's been a loser for essentially its entire existence.

Aggie_in_Idaho

Women's BB

Post by Aggie_in_Idaho » March 30th, 2024, 12:45 pm

I never paid too much attention to the Women’s sports, until my wife got me into watching the Volleyball team a few years ago. They have been really fun to watch and support, and they are really good.

It would be great to see the Women’s Bball team turn it around and be more competitive in the MWC. I hope the new coach will be able to accomplish this.
These users thanked the author Aggie_in_Idaho for the post:
AggieBlues

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » March 30th, 2024, 12:50 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 12:12 pm
HomeTown wrote:
Cool, thanks for coming into a thread titled "Women's BB" to let us know how little interest you have in Women's BB!! Apprecaite your contributions!!
No problem, I'm happy to contribute anytime. I just don't want to see resources pulled from football or men's basketball as mentioned in another post.
These users thanked the author HomeTown for the post (total 2):
USUaggieEndoftheBench

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » March 30th, 2024, 1:03 pm

HomeTown wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 12:50 pm
shoresy wrote:
HomeTown wrote:
No problem, I'm happy to contribute anytime. I just don't want to see resources pulled from football or men's basketball as mentioned in another post.
You all ever hear the phrase “a rising tide lifts all boats?” Resources are not “pulled” from football or mens hoops just to lift another program. Rather, rising revenue in football and men’s basketball(tv revenue, ncaa tourney payouts etc) is distributed among sports, because title IX says that men’s and women’s athletics must be funded equally. So there’s no robbing Peter to Paul. Also, womens hoops is on the rise nationally. The hope would be eventually its self sustaining by itself with ticket sales, postseason tourney’s, etc.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 30th, 2024, 1:10 pm

greggers1868 wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 12:15 pm
ViAggie wrote:
I know I have Aggie blue goggles on, but seeing the support that volleyball and soccer gets, I think women’s hoops can become something great. Where’s the daggone announcement?!?
Why don't they play most of the woman's games in the Estes center? Volleyball sells it out frequently and has a good atmosphere seems like it would be a good place for woman's basketball to build some homecourt advantage if they become decent.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » March 30th, 2024, 1:11 pm

Do we really need resources pulled from others. Wasnt ard paid pretty well for a wbb coach?!
Last edited by tipitup on March 30th, 2024, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 30th, 2024, 1:12 pm

shoresy wrote:
I'll give the AD a little bit of leeway, given that we're supposedly looking at at least one assistant who is coaching this weekend. But if we don't hear a name pretty soon that's a pretty awful look given that they've known the WBB job will be opening for even longer than the MBB job.
It seems she just hired a really good men's coach, I bet she will do the same for the woman's. She knows what she is doing.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 30th, 2024, 1:22 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Hopefully we'll generate more giving if we have continued success in the marquee sports, I just upped my donation level myself.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
JefferyBaird(DJJEFFERYB)

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 30th, 2024, 1:24 pm

greggers1868 wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 1:03 pm
HomeTown wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 12:50 pm
shoresy wrote:
HomeTown wrote:
You all ever hear the phrase “a rising tide lifts all boats?” Resources are not “pulled” from football or mens hoops just to lift another program. Rather, rising revenue in football and men’s basketball(tv revenue, ncaa tourney payouts etc) is distributed among sports, because title IX says that men’s and women’s athletics must be funded equally. So there’s no robbing Peter to Paul. Also, womens hoops is on the rise nationally. The hope would be eventually its self sustaining by itself with ticket sales, postseason tourney’s, etc.
Well I believe the whole argument being made is that we need an administration that invests more into women’s bball to make it better.
Unless those in here that are big fans of women’s bball believes the program already has all the resources in place it needs to he successful?

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » March 30th, 2024, 1:25 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 1:10 pm
greggers1868 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Why don't they play most of the woman's games in the Estes center? Volleyball sells it out frequently and has a good atmosphere seems like it would be a good place for woman's basketball to build some homecourt advantage if they become decent.
I have asked that before myself, and don’t quote me in this but I think it has to do with the locker room situation in the Estes.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » March 30th, 2024, 1:56 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Yeah no... Most successful businesses don't pull resources from profitable programs to dump them into non profitable programs.

Football and Basketball pay for everything else... So pulling resources from football to give to women's basketball is a very short term strategy that ends very poorly.

Success in football and basketball lead to $$$ for the AD and all of the other programs.
These users thanked the author Empire of Dirt for the post:
USUaggie

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 30th, 2024, 2:06 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 1:56 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Yeah no... Most successful businesses don't pull resources from profitable programs to dump them into non profitable programs.

Football and Basketball pay for everything else... So pulling resources from football to give to women's basketball is a very short term strategy that ends very poorly.

Success in football and basketball lead to $$$ for the AD and all of the other programs.
Again though, I guess this is fine as a hypothetical, but it's not being seriously discussed or proposed by anyone.

Our coaches are very fairly compensated in comparison to their peers. Our resources and facilities are just as good if not better than our peers. UNLV had a middle-tier program, hired an up-and-comer from a very successful P5 team (for less money than we paid our last coach) and has won three-straight MW titles and is a top 25 team. At the same time, our AD hired a friend who happened to be an assistant coach for a losing Summit League team and we've been in basketball purgatory. Not a lot of mystery as to why.

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » March 30th, 2024, 8:07 pm

I know this was twenty years ago, but the scorn still burns...

I would take my daughter to the woman's basketball games, and yes, there were about 50 people in the stadium. We would sit front row, right by the team tunnel. Win or loose, we cheered and had a great time. After every game, my daughter and I would stand up and try to give the team high-fives, usually one or two girls would give my daughter a five, but the coach would always look down at her and frown and scowl. I thought that the first few times it was because they had just lost the game, but as we continued to go to the games, and my daughter continued to yell and cheer the team on, the coaching staff never once gave her a high-five, and never more than two of the players would.

I enjoy watching Aggie sports, but have a hard time supporting the woman's bb team. The last mistake of a coach did nothing to improve my feelings, I hope the new coach can mend fences while establishing a competitive team.
These users thanked the author BioAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

tinplater

Post by tinplater » March 30th, 2024, 8:11 pm

I think Iowa has demonstrated WBB can command a national audience and would love to see USU develop a competitive women's basketball program. I know there is a high school junior all star in Cache Valley and it would be awesome if she might choose USU.

CacheCow

Post by CacheCow » March 30th, 2024, 8:45 pm

I think the increased attendance we’re going to see with a winning team will make a huge difference for the budget. I can’t wait for the first time we sell out the Spectrum for a women’s game.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 30th, 2024, 8:50 pm

tinplater wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:11 pm
I know there is a high school junior all star in Cache Valley and it would be awesome if she might choose USU.
We have already beaten to death how that isn't happening no matter who we hire as our next coach.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 30th, 2024, 8:53 pm

CacheCow wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:45 pm
I think the increased attendance we’re going to see with a winning team will make a huge difference for the budget. I can’t wait for the first time we sell out the Spectrum for a women’s game.
They used to be able to increase attendance for a few women's games by having them right before a men's game! I used to joke that we would start up a tiddlywinks team and get good crowds for the games. All we would have needed to do was have the matches in the Spectrum right before men's games and allow the students in to watch them!

tinplater

Post by tinplater » March 30th, 2024, 8:58 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:50 pm
tinplater wrote:
I know there is a high school junior all star in Cache Valley and it would be awesome if she might choose USU.
We have already beaten to death how that isn't happening no matter who we hire as our next coach.
Sorry, unaware of previous discussions...I don't monitor much other than men's BB and football.

ususports

Post by ususports » March 30th, 2024, 9:00 pm

CacheCow wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:45 pm
I can’t wait for the first time we sell out the Spectrum for a women’s game.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 1st, 2024, 8:20 am

tinplater wrote:
I think Iowa has demonstrated WBB can command a national audience and would love to see USU develop a competitive women's basketball program. I know there is a high school junior all star in Cache Valley and it would be awesome if she might choose USU.
Emilee skinner is announcing her commitment to USU today!
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ViAggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 1st, 2024, 8:28 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 8:20 am
tinplater wrote:
I know your post is a joke, but I’ve seen others mention trying to get her to usu.

It’s a complete waste of time. Emilee Skinner is not coming to usu. She’s being offered stupid amount of NIL deals and is headed to a big school.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

shoresy

Post by shoresy » April 1st, 2024, 8:42 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
tinplater wrote:
I know your post is a joke, but I’ve seen others mention trying to get her to usu.

It’s a complete waste of time. Emilee Skinner is not coming to usu. She’s being offered stupid amount of NIL deals and is headed to a big school.
Guessing it has to do with the date

But yes, you’re correct
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 1st, 2024, 9:56 am

tinplater wrote:
WOOT WOOT! :lol:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » April 1st, 2024, 10:01 am

BioAggie wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:07 pm
I know this was twenty years ago, but the scorn still burns...

I would take my daughter to the woman's basketball games, and yes, there were about 50 people in the stadium. We would sit front row, right by the team tunnel. Win or loose, we cheered and had a great time. After every game, my daughter and I would stand up and try to give the team high-fives, usually one or two girls would give my daughter a five, but the coach would always look down at her and frown and scowl. I thought that the first few times it was because they had just lost the game, but as we continued to go to the games, and my daughter continued to yell and cheer the team on, the coaching staff never once gave her a high-five, and never more than two of the players would.

I enjoy watching Aggie sports, but have a hard time supporting the woman's bb team. The last mistake of a coach did nothing to improve my feelings, I hope the new coach can mend fences while establishing a competitive team.
Pebley was good at having the team interact with kids after the game. Granted those were after wins.

A new coach should handle it better

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » April 1st, 2024, 10:05 am

ViAggie wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 9:56 am
tinplater wrote:
WOOT WOOT! :lol:
She’s not even that good. She won’t play at Iowa

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » April 1st, 2024, 5:33 pm

Looks like Brooks is the guy!

These users thanked the author TrueAggieman for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieViAggie

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

shoresy

Post by shoresy » April 1st, 2024, 6:04 pm

Extremely excited about this hire. Talking to a few people in the WBB community, Wesley Brooks is incredibly well-respected and the Aggship pointed out how easy it is to see that when you look at the quote tweets.

Great hire, nice work by the administration.

Now to hit the portal and get some talent in here. John Wooden himself wouldn't have been able to coach last year's team to a winning season.
bluegrouse

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic