Non-conference scheduling

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
StanfordAggie

Re: Non-conference scheduling

Post by StanfordAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 4:49 pm

brian5562 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:22 pm
We lost to Bradley on the road. Would it not have been better to lose to a Duke or even an Auburn on the road even it was set up as a one and done?
If the committee follows their guidelines, a loss is a loss, and it does nothing to help your tournament profile. Under the old RPI system, there was a minor benefit to losing to strong opponents since it increased your SOS, which was a major component of the RPI. But playing a tough schedule doesn't do much to help your NET. Indeed, it can hurt your NET, since blowouts tend to lead to big drops in NET. At the end of the day, the committee is only human, and if USU took Duke to overtime in Cameron, it probably would have helped us, even though it isn't supposed to. Unfortunately, I think it is far more likely that we would have lost to Duke by 20 and tanked our NET in the process. Meanwhile, if we had hit one more free throw against Bradley, we would have had another Q1 win on our resume. I would rather play the Bradley game, personally.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
brian5562

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 4:59 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:46 pm
How did BSU get Clemson to come to Boise next November for a true road game?
The game last year was in Clemson. Are they playing a return game in Boise? I can't find any evidence of that after a few minutes of googling. Assuming that they are coming to Boise, I have no idea how Boise managed that. If USU can do the same thing, I am 100% in favor of it. But how many P5 teams have played in Logan in the past several decades? I don't think that trend is likely to change any time soon.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 3rd, 2024, 5:01 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:59 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:46 pm
How did BSU get Clemson to come to Boise next November for a true road game?
The game last year was in Clemson. Are they playing a return game in Boise? I can't find any evidence of that after a few minutes of googling. Assuming that they are coming to Boise, I have no idea how Boise managed that. If USU can do the same thing, I am 100% in favor of it. But how many P5 teams have played in Logan in the past several decades? I don't think that trend is likely to change any time soon.
Yes. I believe the date is Nov 17. Boise media reported it a few days ago. Check out buddy bj. He probably has it on X

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic