Great Osobor

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Re: Great Osobor

Post by slcagg » April 3rd, 2024, 6:32 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 5:58 pm
Great is an incredible college player that is a Top 10 player in the portal right now and will make some P5 very happy.

Zero percent chance he’ll carve out an NBA career. Zero. Will make a lot of money in China or Europe tho.
You may be right, but tony jones disagrees with you.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
bluegrouse

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » April 3rd, 2024, 6:36 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 6:32 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Great is an incredible college player that is a Top 10 player in the portal right now and will make some P5 very happy.

Zero percent chance he’ll carve out an NBA career. Zero. Will make a lot of money in China or Europe tho.
I think if Great Develops a 3 point shot and slims out he definitely can be an NBA guy.

His feel for the game is special. He can play point forward. He definitely has a path.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 3rd, 2024, 6:55 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 3:54 pm
Anyone saying Great is in for a dose of P5 reality isn't giving him his due. He's probably amongst the Top 10 players in the portal right now.

Sucks to lose him (and yes, I think it's a foregone conclusion we've lost him), but if we can hold onto Isaac, Mason, and Josh and then replenish from the portal we'll still have a really good team next year.
Agree, someone said maybe he likes money more than he likes winning. Well guess what, Osabor is taking the ability to win with him. He ain't leaving that behind.

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » April 3rd, 2024, 6:56 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:31 pm
So all that talk about Calhoun being chosen cause it’ll keep the team together was bull$hit. That he would keep Haslam and Brown on staff, also bull$hit. That the AD had addressed NIL concerns, bull$hit frosting on top of bull$hit.

I’ve lost all faith in college sports.
I think this pretty much sums everything t up for me as well .. right now I am feeling like we got sold a bill of goods ?
These users thanked the author BigCountryAG for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAggieFBObsessionAggie in Boise

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 3rd, 2024, 7:05 pm

BigCountryAG wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 6:56 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
So all that talk about Calhoun being chosen cause it’ll keep the team together was bull$hit. That he would keep Haslam and Brown on staff, also bull$hit. That the AD had addressed NIL concerns, bull$hit frosting on top of bull$hit.

I think this pretty much sums everything t up for me as well .. right now I am feeling like we got sold a bill of goods ?
It does leave me wondering why all the players showed up to the press conference. No one could force them there. If it does take 24-48 hours after filing to officially appear in the portal then many of these guys made the decision prior to that presser. It also makes me think that Danny boy was already calling the guys he wanted in an effort to get in there before we made a hire.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
apo

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » April 3rd, 2024, 7:09 pm

BigCountryAG wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 6:56 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

This plus Diana S saying top priority is the kids in the program and insinuating on several occasions that we could keep our players in tact.

Apparently the meeting with the new coach didn’t go well.. I know they put their names in before but the timing of all of this is strange.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 3rd, 2024, 7:09 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 3:37 pm
If the going rate for a MW starter is really $100k, then I feel like we should definitely be able to keep a guy like Uduje around if he likes it here. The article with Eric Laub from last week sure suggested we could afford a MW starter level NIL "salary." I'd be surprised if Josh had a better offer elsewhere. :noidea: If he leaves, I'd probably chalk it up to him really not liking it much here.
Agreed, i hope Josh stays he is a very solid player. He is good for for 8-10 points a game and plays solid defense.

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » April 3rd, 2024, 7:14 pm

Oh I am sure Danny boy has muddied the water for sure. Sure is frustrating! While listening to Diana on Friday was impressive the way she handled the interview and her talk about diversity and all that talk, but I wonder did she even look outside the state of Ohio for either search??
These users thanked the author BigCountryAG for the post:
AggieFBObsession

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 3rd, 2024, 7:20 pm

I wonder if this thread mirrors one from the Montana State fan page last year
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
Heathen

Not sent from Tapatalk

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 7:21 pm

trevordude wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 7:20 pm
When they lost their backup center?
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
trevordude

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 3rd, 2024, 7:23 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 7:21 pm
trevordude wrote:
And battle, and brown

Not sent from Tapatalk

SLB

Post by SLB » April 3rd, 2024, 7:27 pm

trevordude wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 7:23 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 7:21 pm
trevordude wrote:
And battle, and brown
Montana State lost the battle but not the war.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
trevordude

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » April 3rd, 2024, 7:32 pm

I sure hope Calhoun is one hell of salesman and recruiter/broker. Danny always struck me as the used car salesman that would tell you what you wanted to hear but the dude got it done this last year!
I sure hope Calhoun can reload cause it looks like we are going down the same path as last year hope I am wrong and a few players stick it out. Big Fish you have my respect big fella.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 3rd, 2024, 8:28 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:21 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:04 pm
Yossarian wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:37 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:24 pm
I wish them both well regardless of where they end up. I hope for support from USU fans for these kids. It hurts, but they're good kids and deserve the best I can give them.
Just out of curiosity, why should these athletes be given any more of a congratulations or well wishes than a regular student that decides to transfer to another school? The athletes have already had their school paid for and now get NIL money on top of that for doing absolutely nothing in return (as near as I can tell) - what more do we owe them? Yes, they wire the USU jersey and played ball, but they don't care about the school or you and me. I shrug my shoulders and move on with my life. They do the same.
That's pretty much what I'm saying. Let them go, wish them well.
Agreed. And I certainly don't understand the infatuation to grovel, throw money at, and kiss the feet of some 20 year-old kid to come and play an amateur sport at my university for a year. This whole thing is nuts. What are we doing?
We didn’t make the rules. We’re just trying to play by them.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 3rd, 2024, 8:32 pm

I hope Josh stays. He was the 4th sometimes 5th option scoring wise on last year's team. He has the ability to be much more a focal point of the offense and be a very strong two way player.
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post:
slcagg

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 3rd, 2024, 8:37 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
If the going rate for a MW starter is really $100k, then I feel like we should definitely be able to keep a guy like Uduje around if he likes it here. The article with Eric Laub from last week sure suggested we could afford a MW starter level NIL "salary." I'd be surprised if Josh had a better offer elsewhere. :noidea: If he leaves, I'd probably chalk it up to him really not liking it much here.
By $500,000 being the average for a MWC starting five doesn’t suggest Great’s NIL value was $100k. If Ashworth got $500,000 to go to Creighton Great is worth at least that.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2024, 8:39 pm

utaggies wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:37 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
By $500,000 being the average for a MWC starting five doesn’t suggest Great’s NIL value was $100k. If Ashworth got $500,000 to go to Creighton Great is worth at least that.
Right, totally agree. I am saying I’d be little shocked if the market value for guys like Fish and Josh is more than that $100k range, and if that’s the case it’d be a major bummer not to keep the keepable dudes.

We can’t be paying $500k for a single player, so really can’t pay market or even close to keep guys like Great, but at the $100k or range or thereabouts we should be able to hold onto the lower level starters and first off the bench guys, and if we can’t that seems like the sign of a deeper problem.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 9:13 pm

I hope we get Great back, but I u detest and it isn’t likely. He was a good player for us this past year.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 9:16 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:39 pm
utaggies wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Right, totally agree. I am saying I’d be little shocked if the market value for guys like Fish and Josh is more than that $100k range, and if that’s the case it’d be a major bummer not to keep the keepable dudes.

We can’t be paying $500k for a single player, so really can’t pay market or even close to keep guys like Great, but at the $100k or range or thereabouts we should be able to hold onto the lower level starters and first off the bench guys, and if we can’t that seems like the sign of a deeper problem.
Basically we'll have to find diamonds in the rough every year, developed them into stars and angst over them leaving for more money. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » April 3rd, 2024, 9:24 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 6:32 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

@ineptimusprime ... You have found the sweet spot... That sir is right where you want to be! ;) :lol:
These users thanked the author The Old Bull for the post:
Heathen

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 3rd, 2024, 9:28 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 9:16 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:39 pm
utaggies wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Basically we'll have to find diamonds in the rough every year, developed them into stars and angst over them leaving for more money. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
You just laid out the plot of Moneyball.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 3rd, 2024, 9:39 pm

BigCountryAG wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 7:32 pm
I sure hope Calhoun is one hell of salesman and recruiter/broker. Danny always struck me as the used car salesman that would tell you what you wanted to hear but the dude got it done this last year!
I sure hope Calhoun can reload cause it looks like we are going down the same path as last year hope I am wrong and a few players stick it out. Big Fish you have my respect big fella.
It doesn't matter how great a salesman or recruiter he is. What matters is how much $$$$ Aggie boosters are willing to fork over.. I really think that nostalgia, wishful thinking, and denial cloud fans thinking on this issue and we want to live 10-15 years in the past.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
splintorb

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 9:46 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Man, that is depressing outlook. I recall awhile back we rebuilt a team with scraps and not much NIL that won a tourney game. I'm not giving up hope with the tweet of one player. Wake me up in the fall when this all comes back together.
These users thanked the author BigBlueAggie for the post:
bigblue32

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » April 3rd, 2024, 10:02 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 9:46 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Man, that is depressing outlook. I recall awhile back we rebuilt a team with scraps and not much NIL that won a tourney game. I'm not giving up hope with the tweet of one player. Wake me up in the fall when this all comes back together.
This is the way my Aggie brother. We will be back in contention next year , just relax a little because nothing we do (worrying or otherwise) has literally 0 bearing on the outcome.

We are in SUCH a better place than we were 365 days ago from an overall standpoint. we are not only coming off our first outright mountain west conference title, but also an ncaa tournament win. We also have an awesome AD and president this go round, and an absolutely fantastic hire (coaching circles RAVE about this guy in public and behind the scenes, he is an absolute winner)

Look things move fast and things change even faster but it will all sort itself out and I promise it’s not going to be the end of the world that some of you are declaring.

Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author bigblue32 for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025vegasaggieflying_scotsman2.0

Bondar4Aggies

Post by Bondar4Aggies » April 3rd, 2024, 10:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:Remember guys, it takes 48 hours for a player's name to appear in the portal. These two put their paperwork in on Monday.
I don’t believe that’s accurate. Players submit their forms to university compliance officers who then have 2 business days to input the player’s info into the portal. It could be 48 hours if the compliance officer does not immediately enter the information, or can show up much quicker if it’s done in a timely manner. There’s not a 48 hour grace period after the information is put into the system. So these guys could’ve submitted their paperwork any time between Monday and today.
These users thanked the author Bondar4Aggies for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 3rd, 2024, 10:39 pm

Bondar4Aggies wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 10:32 pm
aggies22 wrote:Remember guys, it takes 48 hours for a player's name to appear in the portal. These two put their paperwork in on Monday.
I don’t believe that’s accurate. Players submit their forms to university compliance officers who then have 2 business days to input the player’s info into the portal. It could be 48 hours if the compliance officer does not immediately enter the information, or can show up much quicker if it’s done in a timely manner. There’s not a 48 hour grace period after the information is put into the system. So these guys could’ve submitted their paperwork any time between Monday and today.
I have reason to believe that you should take 22's word on this.

#hornsup!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2024, 10:44 pm

bigblue32 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 10:02 pm
BigBlueAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

This is the way my Aggie brother. We will be back in contention next year , just relax a little because nothing we do (worrying or otherwise) has literally 0 bearing on the outcome.

We are in SUCH a better place than we were 365 days ago from an overall standpoint. we are not only coming off our first outright mountain west conference title, but also an ncaa tournament win. We also have an awesome AD and president this go round, and an absolutely fantastic hire (coaching circles RAVE about this guy in public and behind the scenes, he is an absolute winner)

Look things move fast and things change even faster but it will all sort itself out and I promise it’s not going to be the end of the world that some of you are declaring.

Go Aggies!
I may be projecting, but it seems to me that the wailing and teeth gnashing comes more from a place of angst about having a lot of roster turnover this year (and thereby losing any personal connection or attachment to the team) than it is about our ability to get competitive again. And I totally get that and feel the same way.

It gets harder and harder to get excited about rallying around the next group of mercenaries that’s going to stay one year in Logan even if they accomplish something great next year.

We don’t know the players personally (at least most of us), and the thing we’re supposed to have in common with the players and that spurs us on to cheer for them and their successes is a shared bond and love for USU and its basketball tradition. When batch after batch of players just cast that aside after one year for a pile of money, I can’t fault them, but it makes it all feel rather hollow.

I’m sure I’ll find a way to get excited about the next batch of mercenaries and what they accomplish, but I will agree it stinks that the days of getting to watch a player grow and develop over four years at USU are probably over.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 8):
Aggie84025DkdavisFullRoy McAvoyAggie in BoiseFloridaAggie13cvalNAggsty Butler

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 3rd, 2024, 10:59 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 10:44 pm
bigblue32 wrote:
BigBlueAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Go Aggies!
I may be projecting, but it seems to me that the wailing and teeth gnashing comes more from a place of angst about having a lot of roster turnover this year (and thereby losing any personal connection or attachment to the team) than it is about our ability to get competitive again. And I totally get that and feel the same way.

It gets harder and harder to get excited about rallying around the next group of mercenaries that’s going to stay one year in Logan even if they accomplish something great next year.

We don’t know the players personally (at least most of us), and the thing we’re supposed to have in common with the players and that spurs us on to cheer for them and their successes is a shared bond and love for USU and its basketball tradition. When batch after batch of players just cast that aside after one year for a pile of money, I can’t fault them, but it makes it all feel rather hollow.

I’m sure I’ll find a way to get excited about the next batch of mercenaries and what they accomplish, but I will agree it stinks that the days of getting to watch a player grow and develop over four years at USU are probably over.
You put it perfectly. I also find it interesting after all the talk about last year being a once in a lifetime success story so many now think “we’ll just up and do it again”.
Last edited by hipsterdoofus21 on April 4th, 2024, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » April 3rd, 2024, 11:49 pm

I understand Great will have more money at other places, but…I firmly believe great would be best served to come back and play for a coach who can develop his outside game and gives him every opportunity to shoot and make 3’s. If he wants to have a shot in todays NBA, developing I’m his 3 point shot is a must. And i believe that is the feedback he will receive by testing the waters this summer.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 4th, 2024, 12:18 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
bigblue32 wrote:
BigBlueAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Go Aggies!

All it does it make me want to care less and less and spend less and less on Aggie athletics. If they have no loyalty, coaches included, why should I? I have loyalty to my alma mater, but not to Utah State football and not to Utah State basketball. Those are two different things. My suggestion to everyone is support the school, but casually support athletics until there is a reasonable solution to everything. Right now, nothing is reasonable. And I hear @aggies22 when he says that it's been going on for decades, but now it's much more prevalent and the fact that it's more prevalent makes it much more difficult for universities not in P4 conferences to compete, let alone universities in very small markets. We're fighting a losing battle. My hat is off to Jim Laub and co., but I see that as lighting a match to cash and watching it go "poof".
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
Aggie in Boise

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 4th, 2024, 2:45 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 12:18 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
bigblue32 wrote:
BigBlueAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Go Aggies!

All it does it make me want to care less and less and spend less and less on Aggie athletics. If they have no loyalty, coaches included, why should I? I have loyalty to my alma mater, but not to Utah State football and not to Utah State basketball. Those are two different things. My suggestion to everyone is support the school, but casually support athletics until there is a reasonable solution to everything. Right now, nothing is reasonable. And I hear @aggies22 when he says that it's been going on for decades, but now it's much more prevalent and the fact that it's more prevalent makes it much more difficult for universities not in P4 conferences to compete, let alone universities in very small markets. We're fighting a losing battle. My hat is off to Jim Laub and co., but I see that as lighting a match to cash and watching it go "poof".
Boosters never get any ROI when giving a school money anyway. Maybe it’s a tax write off I guess but otherwise it was just lighting money on fire from their end. That’s basically what NIL will be…we just need Aggie alum who are already boosters, own businesses, etc to find creative ways to get some ROI out of NIL deals and I guess use it as part of their marketing budget to give to the student athletes.

Sure we have some disadvantages being in a small market, but realistically every NIL deal across the country is never worth the money. No one is going to go eat at Raising Canes because Dedan Thomas is sponsored by them. The only real value might be in nationwide marketing deals, which players will only get if they have success in the tournament.

Yeah, other schools have rich boosters willing to light money on fire in the NIL collectives to have a competitive basketball team. That’s fine, we will have to make it work with guys who aren’t getting quite as much money. It does suck that we are becoming a farm system though…I wish the NCAA would come up with some sort of rules regarding NIL maximums that encourage players to stick around and not transfer every single year. If a player has been at a school for 0-1 years: 100k max, 1-2 years: 250k, 2-3+ years: 500k+, something like that would be nice

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » April 4th, 2024, 6:48 am

My angst with the constantly changing coaches and players is that it creates the perception of being a farm team where a player or coach says, "Hey, I can go to USU for maybe a year or two and then step up to something where I get paid more." The lack of continuity increases the chances that the program cannot sustain success. Getting in some coaches who are willing to stick around for at least three years and a couple of starters willing to spurn more NIL money from other schools for 2-3 years would go a long way to help create stability where everyone knows they have a great chance of running it back and doing even better the next season.

Alas, if I knew how to actually do it, I would be pitching it to the AD along with a decent salary request for myself.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Bondar4Aggies

Post by Bondar4Aggies » April 4th, 2024, 7:49 am

Blue Sage wrote:
Bondar4Aggies wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 10:32 pm
I have reason to believe that you should take 22's word on this.
I’m not saying they didn’t submit their paperwork and complete the transfer module on Monday. They very could have. I’m just saying it’s incorrect that it takes two days for a name to pop up in the portal. It can take up to two days as that’s the deadline the compliance officer has to enter the player into the portal once the form has been submitted by the player. I have my doubts the whole team showed up for the press conference prior to meeting with Calhoun and coach talked at length about retaining players when it would be no secret their paperwork had been submitted on Monday, but I could be wrong.

You can read more about how it works here if you don’t believe me:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_cen ... ansfer.pdf

https://honestgame.com/blog/ncaa-transfer-portal/
These users thanked the author Bondar4Aggies for the post:
BustaMcNutt

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » April 4th, 2024, 8:12 am

hickaggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 9:39 pm
BigCountryAG wrote:
It doesn't matter how great a salesman or recruiter he is. What matters is how much $$$$ Aggie boosters are willing to fork over.. I really think that nostalgia, wishful thinking, and denial cloud fans thinking on this issue and we want to live 10-15 years in the past.
Still gotta recruit the portal hick and broker deals and get those players here and unfortunately he has to do it every year now. I get that boosters are huge huge part of it but in our case you have to really really good at finding guys for 100k and get a year maybe out of them if we are lucky . It’s not like you can just go out and put roster together like Danny did last year with out being a salesman so I don’t think that’s 15 years behind that’s the new! Coach not only has to coach and evaluate talent in portal now he has broker deals . I guess my point is I think Danny was probably really good at that part and I hope Calhoun is to .

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 4th, 2024, 8:39 am

BigCountryAG wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 8:12 am
hickaggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 9:39 pm
BigCountryAG wrote:
Still gotta recruit the portal hick and broker deals and get those players here and unfortunately he has to do it every year now. I get that boosters are huge huge part of it but in our case you have to really really good at finding guys for 100k and get a year maybe out of them if we are lucky . It’s not like you can just go out and put roster together like Danny did last year with out being a salesman so I don’t think that’s 15 years behind that’s the new! Coach not only has to coach and evaluate talent in portal now he has broker deals . I guess my point is I think Danny was probably really good at that part and I hope Calhoun is to .
I agree with that. But its just a money ball at this point. The collective will have so much and its just about finding what players have immediate value to his system and I guess in a sense their is competition from schools with similar NIL limits.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic