Aj Storr and going value of top players

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Aj Storr and going value of top players

Post by slcagg » April 3rd, 2024, 1:54 pm

Transfer from wisconsin. One of the higher in demand transfers (similar to great probably).

He asked Kansas for $1m in nil. They countered with $750k and he told them no.

I highly doubt great osobor comes back and it’s going to be incredibly difficult to keep the top guys more than 1 year in the future.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
ryguy417Aggie in BoiseAggieFBObsession

jprism
Has thanked: 0

Re: Aj Storr and going value of top players

Post by jprism » April 3rd, 2024, 1:58 pm

Absurd numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author jprism for the post (total 4):
ryguy417MrBiggle88USUAggieAggieFBObsession

feeah

Post by feeah » April 3rd, 2024, 2:09 pm

I wish the NCAA or Congress would implement some kind of NIL salary cap. Even the playing field a bit.
These users thanked the author feeah for the post (total 3):
ViAggieAggie in BoiseSection_L_Aggie

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » April 3rd, 2024, 2:11 pm

That's crazy. I know we're thinking about NIL as a form of compensation on top of the full-ride scholarships these athletes get. However, I'm close to the professional space where sports personalities are paid for media appearances and product endorsements, and an NFL rookie in a metro area might charge $75,000-$150,000 for a partnership agreement with an organization where he would promote their product(s) in a handful of appearances throughout the year. To think that an NCAA basketball player is worth $750,000 a year is unrealistic from an advertising perspective, and even less so in a small market like Cache Valley. Great could probably move 10-20 cars at a large car dealership with his likeness in a season, which might be worth $30,000 to $60,000 for them, and any wise business person will need to pay the talent a bit less than that to make the exchange worth it. It's tough out there.

As much as I want Aggies to succeed in all sports and everything else indefinitely, I argue that the return on NIL investment from a marketing perspective is not there. However, if you think about the investment returns in terms of a winning team (which I think is probably the right perspective), then there's likely a much more direct tie to highly paid athletes and performance. The biggest NIL funds will lead to better athletic performance over time.
Last edited by travelingagg on April 3rd, 2024, 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 2:13 pm

feeah wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:09 pm
I wish the NCAA or Congress would implement some kind of NIL salary cap. Even the playing field a bit.
In professional sports, we have unions, minimum salaries, and salary caps (in most sports, looking at you, MLB, that's why your popularity is dwindling; we all know a team can buy a championship). In college sports is a damn free for all!
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie in BoiseZaggie0788USUAggie

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 3rd, 2024, 2:18 pm

FYI seen this reported multiple places now.

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 3rd, 2024, 2:18 pm

Lol. This dude is from England and is 1/2 the player Great is. Here's his top schools and the leaked "price" or him he'll accept at minimum is $700k. Shoot maybe Great will get $1M.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 3rd, 2024, 2:33 pm

No salary cap type thing would be legal

A contact, for multiple years of labor, is how most sports operate.

Sign a contract with a university for X years and get X compensation
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
SeattleAg

Not sent from Tapatalk

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 3rd, 2024, 2:36 pm

Is this money just handed to the kids with nothing in return other than playing ball? That seems like the wrong lesson to teach. If I was going to contribute to an NIL, I would ask for some help landscaping around the yard, cleaning windows and gutters, cleaning bathrooms/ kitchen, washing cars, running errands, and the like. This isn't just a gift because you play ball - that is what the scholarship is for. If you want money from me there has to be something of value in return to complete the transaction.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 6):
Section_L_AggievegasaggieAggie in BoiseFloridaAggie13MrBiggleAggieFBObsession

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » April 3rd, 2024, 2:40 pm

feeah wrote:
I would love if there could be some form of establishing NIL “Fair Market Value” as up to X% of the value of your cumulative scholarship earned at that school (or the average scholarship reward value for the national division level you play at per year). That would put a modest cap and also reward longevity.

1st year- 100% of scholarship value
2nd year- 200% etc.
3rd year- 300% etc.

Many schools would still not be able to max out all their players earnings, and it would more or less remove NIL as an outrageous mercenary-like recruiting tool, but still allow athletes to earn money.

This is obviously a pipe dream.

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » April 3rd, 2024, 2:58 pm

This is beyond out of control.

Our beloved Sam Merrill (an NBA champion mind you) is making 2M per year to play professionally! And he brings in a good ROI etc.

College athletes thinking they ought to get half that for essentially no ROI are ridiculous. Unfortunately in the arms race there are boosters and bag men that will pay this.

I do think the NIL bubble will implode in future years. Just hoping for now our AGGIES can stay competitive and enjoy the magic that we have in Logan. The gra$$ isn’t always greener.
These users thanked the author Section_L_Aggie for the post (total 4):
jackattacktrevordude88USUAggieAggieFBObsession

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 3:04 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:58 pm

Our beloved Sam Merrill (an NBA champion mind you) is making 2M per year to play professionally! And he brings in a good ROI etc.

College athletes thinking they ought to get half that for essentially no ROI are ridiculous. Unfortunately in the arms race there are boosters and bag men that will pay this.

I do think the NIL bubble will implode in future years. Just hoping for now our AGGIES can stay competitive and enjoy the magic that we have in Logan. The gra$$ isn’t always greener.
Bronny James made $5.9M this year and he's not very good.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 3rd, 2024, 3:08 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 3:04 pm
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:58 pm

Bronny James made $5.9M this year and he's not very good.
The NBA has a salary cap and rookie contracts. NCAA currently does not. For fringe NBA players or players with marketable names (like Bronny) they can arguably make more staying in college then declaring. Crazy.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 3rd, 2024, 3:09 pm

I've already been told by a friend in the business side of the sport that Great could command as much as one million.
Last edited by aggies22 on April 4th, 2024, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
stwinwardImportAggieReal Life Aggie

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » April 3rd, 2024, 3:25 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 3:09 pm
I've already been told by a friend in the business side of the sport that Great could command as much a one million.
Not a knock on your comment, I believe you, but anyone that pays Great 1 mill to come play a year will be sorely disappointed. He is great but not that GREAT. A Zach Edey type maybe I see that much money being worth it.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 3:27 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 3:25 pm
aggies22 wrote:
I've already been told by a friend in the business side of the sport that Great could command as much a one million.
Not a knock on your comment, I believe you, but anyone that pays Great 1 mill to come play a year will be sorely disappointed. He is great but not that GREAT. A Zach Edey type maybe I see that much money being worth it.
Unfortunately that's what we're seeing in college though. Schools are way overpaying players. There are guys making way more in college than they would if they went pro.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
trevordude

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » April 3rd, 2024, 3:31 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I think you’re criminally discounting how great great is

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » April 3rd, 2024, 3:33 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 3:31 pm
Usu0505 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I think you’re criminally discounting how great great is
Great!

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » April 3rd, 2024, 3:37 pm

I honestly don't think this NIL arms race is sustainable for most donors across the country. I know the bigger programs have donors with deep pockets but I think after a little bit of time and getting burned on a few players not playing to their worth will cause the NIL market to stabilize. At least I hope that's what happens.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bigblue for the post (total 2):
trevordudejackattack

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 3rd, 2024, 4:04 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:36 pm
Is this money just handed to the kids with nothing in return other than playing ball? That seems like the wrong lesson to teach. If I was going to contribute to an NIL, I would ask for some help landscaping around the yard, cleaning windows and gutters, cleaning bathrooms/ kitchen, washing cars, running errands, and the like. This isn't just a gift because you play ball - that is what the scholarship is for. If you want money from me there has to be something of value in return to complete the transaction.
NIL isn’t about teaching anyone a lesson. It’s pay to play. You should disabuse yourself of the notion that a kid who has an NIL contract will soon be coming to your home to wash your windows. What a contributor to a collective receives is to hopefully bask in the secondary light when his or her team does well as a consequence of hiring a player for 1 year.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » April 3rd, 2024, 5:13 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:13 pm
feeah wrote:
In professional sports, we have unions, minimum salaries, and salary caps (in most sports, looking at you, MLB, that's why your popularity is dwindling; we all know a team can buy a championship). In college sports is a damn free for all!
I would argue that buying a championship works less i baseball than people might think. Yankees haven't for decades. Dodgers keep coughing it up in the playoffs. Though yes, you almost always need to spend at a base high level to get wins, unless you are Tampa.

That said, NCAA can't regulate NIL, they have no legal standing that I know of anymore, and I suspect Congress would pass that buck. The schools are going to have to concoct a system, or donors eventually run out of money to fund millions and millions every year into athletes that won't stick around or (likely) win it all.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 3rd, 2024, 7:14 pm

A solid recession would wreck NIL, right?

Pro sports? Nah, they have a union and collective bargaining.

I bet there will always be Texas A&M and such blowing money, but if the U has some meddling years, do they all get trucks?

But very few collegiate athletic depts are net earners, buoyed by donors and student fees
Last edited by trevordude on April 3rd, 2024, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not sent from Tapatalk

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » April 3rd, 2024, 7:19 pm

This whole thing stupid Johnny footballs fault anyway isn’t that when all this started selling jerseys and (I can't express myself without swearing) ?

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 7:20 pm

SeattleAg wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 5:13 pm
ViAggie wrote:
feeah wrote:
I would argue that buying a championship works less i baseball than people might think. Yankees haven't for decades. Dodgers keep coughing it up in the playoffs. Though yes, you almost always need to spend at a base high level to get wins, unless you are Tampa.

That said, NCAA can't regulate NIL, they have no legal standing that I know of anymore, and I suspect Congress would pass that buck. The schools are going to have to concoct a system, or donors eventually run out of money to fund millions and millions every year into athletes that won't stick around or (likely) win it all.
They can get rid of the fu*king open transfer policy. That'd be a start.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » April 3rd, 2024, 7:31 pm

Part of me gets the idea that it would be nice to make .5-1mil for playing college sports when your prospect for playing any sort of professional ball is not in the cards. But for guys like Great that could go to the NBA or overseas and make millions on a career, why not stay at an amazing university and build a legacy? Be remembered for years to come? Oh well.

Where only sage brush grows

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 3rd, 2024, 7:34 pm

You got kids demanding and getting 6 figure plus money to play a game that has already afforded them a free education and numerous other perks with adults throwing away disposable income on the "rent-a--kid" program. Who's zoomin' who?

cval

Post by cval » April 3rd, 2024, 8:36 pm

A salary cap would not be legal… The only thing I can see from my extremely limited viewpoint is to put them under contract with penalties for breach of contract. Of course, the problem would be that the schools would have penalties as well.

It’s a really discouraging landscape right now. You win, your team gets gutted by someone with more money. You don’t win, you lose by not being competitive….

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 3rd, 2024, 8:40 pm

I think it was Ohio state putting $13m in for football. Is basketball $5m for the bigger schools. $10-$20m is a lot of funding each year without a solid roi

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2024, 8:42 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:40 pm
I think it was Ohio state putting $13m in for football. Is basketball $5m for the bigger schools. $10-$20m is a lot of funding each year without a solid roi
Per Trilly, most P5s have between 1.5 and 2 million for basketball NIL. Obviously some have more.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 3rd, 2024, 9:11 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:42 pm
slcagg wrote:
Per Trilly, most P5s have between 1.5 and 2 million for basketball NIL. Obviously some have more.
Not if you are paying one guy $1m. Granted that is probably only a handful

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » April 3rd, 2024, 9:15 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 7:31 pm
Part of me gets the idea that it would be nice to make .5-1mil for playing college sports when your prospect for playing any sort of professional ball is not in the cards. But for guys like Great that could go to the NBA or overseas and make millions on a career, why not stay at an amazing university and build a legacy? Be remembered for years to come? Oh well.
I'm sorry. I'm all for being a legacy player. Being a club sport player, I get it. But if you are good enough to be a legacy player, you could probably make a couple million in your time as an athlete. If I had to chose between people in logan utah remembering me, or making a couple million in some random city with a good team. I am choosing the money. I want aggies to stay, but half a million a year will buy any athlete at our level.
These users thanked the author usugoalie13 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 3rd, 2024, 9:28 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
We are missing the point when we talk about ROI. All of these boosters funding either collectives or sponsoring outside the collectives are not getting an ROI in the tangible monetary sense. Its an emotional ROI and its rooted their school, their team, the dopamine rush they get out of it. In one sense it could be equated to controlled substances or gambling where demand is highly elastic. When rival booster bases start outbidding them they just up the ante. We keep expecting it to fall back to earth but as long as there is a solid base of emotionally charged boosters who live through their alma maters success in FB and Mens BB it is just going to get more insane.

Any attempt to rein this in will require unionization of the players, congressional action, and a market need for the players union to cooperate with the schools for revenue sharing like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL. As long as these boosters are willing to up the ante the players have no incentive to cooperate even if the schools and Congress got their acts together.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Pacobag

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 10:57 pm

hickaggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 9:28 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
We are missing the point when we talk about ROI. All of these boosters funding either collectives or sponsoring outside the collectives are not getting an ROI in the tangible monetary sense. Its an emotional ROI and its rooted their school, their team, the dopamine rush they get out of it. In one sense it could be equated to controlled substances or gambling where demand is highly elastic. When rival booster bases start outbidding them they just up the ante. We keep expecting it to fall back to earth but as long as there is a solid base of emotionally charged boosters who live through their alma maters success in FB and Mens BB it is just going to get more insane.

Any attempt to rein this in will require unionization of the players, congressional action, and a market need for the players union to cooperate with the schools for revenue sharing like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL. As long as these boosters are willing to up the ante the players have no incentive to cooperate even if the schools and Congress got their acts together.
I believe even the boosters are tiring of the payouts. They are seeing what they are getting for the money they are dropping and most of them arent dumb. They know its not sustainable at these levels forever. Right now its an arms race and they want to keep their school in front but I think even they will push for limits. The issue is that no conference wants to be the first to impose the limit. The NCAA has no power and congress doesnt have enough people that care about it yet.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » April 3rd, 2024, 11:29 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 7:20 pm
SeattleAg wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 5:13 pm
ViAggie wrote:
feeah wrote:

They can get rid of the fu*king open transfer policy. That'd be a start.
I think, and I could being misunderstanding, that the open transfer policy was a court victory for players, and the NCAA is currently powerless.

cval

Post by cval » April 4th, 2024, 9:03 am

In the short term it was. In the long term it will lead to players being put under contract and bound by the contract terms. In the long run it will backfire.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic