Current State of USU Basketball

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigSkyAG

Re: Current State of USU Basketball

Post by BigSkyAG » April 4th, 2024, 2:46 pm

A little too much confidence

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » April 4th, 2024, 3:10 pm

I still don’t understand how Great can get paid being from another country.

Sprinkle mentioned a couple times that Great’s family doesn’t have a lot of money and how small their apartment/house was when he went to recruit him in England. I am sure this is playing into his decision as well.

Maybe the collective needs to get creative and do something outside the box to help him and his family out. Maybe that would make a difference.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 4th, 2024, 3:23 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 3:10 pm

Sprinkle mentioned a couple times that Great’s family doesn’t have a lot of money and how small their apartment/house was when he went to recruit him in England. I am sure this is playing into his decision as well.

Maybe the collective needs to get creative and do something outside the box to help him and his family out. Maybe that would make a difference.
He could get paid an NIL deal through an English company...or they could just leave a bag of cash on his bed.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
aggies22

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 4th, 2024, 3:28 pm

What’s the deal will Dallin Grant? Something must’ve happened, I had high hopes for him…

josephconlin

Post by josephconlin » April 4th, 2024, 3:29 pm

Elkaggie wrote:

Here are some of the possibilities of payments to foreign players that have been mentioned by other posters on this board over the past few months.
- "Bag of money" left on their bed, or other forms of how "untraceable" payments were made to players before paying players in the open became allowed
- Third party pass through, where a trusted friend / family member / business / "charity" receives the payments and they then find ways to pass the money along. Some of this probably looks somewhat similar to money laundering schemes in other areas of life.

With a well established infrastructure and procedures in place for decades that got the money to the right places before NIL came around, I'm not surprised in the slightest that those same systems could be used to get around student visa rules. These are the kinds of things that people refer to when they say that there are ways to get around the student visa rules. Some are obviously more legal than others.

It could be interesting to see what happens *if* someone gets caught and *if* they have to deal with federal law determining the punishment instead of the NCAA though.
These users thanked the author josephconlin for the post:
aggies22

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » April 4th, 2024, 3:32 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 2:44 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 1:59 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 1:57 pm
Would love to see Josh stay. Assuming Mason and Josh stay that is 3 solid starters to build around. I am perplexed with Nigel. At Idaho he was the Freshman of the year and shot like 40% from 3. He obviously did not play but only a few times here and did not look great doing so. I would not be hurt if he left but be interesting to see him get a fresh start with a new coaching staff if he could develop into a solid rotational player.
Nigel COMPLETELY lost his confidence this season. Could Coach Calhoun be the guy to coax his potential out of him?
He certainly had confidence in the game against Purdue!
for nigel confidence in shooting and making shots is a lot of playing time!! when you are 0- whatever on 3's but only get to take them one at a time in a game, that doesn't tell me much. now if you are 0-whatever and you play a lot, that's completely different. i'm not sure you can even look at nigel's stats for this year.

josephconlin

Post by josephconlin » April 4th, 2024, 3:45 pm

tipitup wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 3:32 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Would love to see Josh stay. Assuming Mason and Josh stay that is 3 solid starters to build around. I am perplexed with Nigel. At Idaho he was the Freshman of the year and shot like 40% from 3. He obviously did not play but only a few times here and did not look great doing so. I would not be hurt if he left but be interesting to see him get a fresh start with a new coaching staff if he could develop into a solid rotational player.
Nigel COMPLETELY lost his confidence this season. Could Coach Calhoun be the guy to coax his potential out of him?
for nigel confidence in shooting and making shots is a lot of playing time!! when you are 0- whatever on 3's but only get to take them one at a time in a game, that doesn't tell me much. now if you are 0-whatever and you play a lot, that's completely different. i'm not sure you can even look at nigel's stats for this year.
So, he should shoot more than one at a time? Here's one option! :joking:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 4th, 2024, 4:35 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 1:13 pm
After assessing how things have transpired this week and trying to do as much research as I can, this is my PREDICTION as to who stays, who is going, and who is on the fence. If at any time I have reason to believe that my prediction needs to be altered I will do so.

Mason Falslev - Stays at Utah State
Jackson Grant - Stays at Utah State
Isaac Johnson - Stays at Utah State
Garrison Phelps - Stays at Utah State
Karson Templin - Stays at Utah State
Jaxon Smith - Stays at Utah State
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Josh Uduje - VERY HIGH chance he stays at Utah State
Nigel Burris - MODERATE chance he stays at Utah State
Great Osobor - MEDIUM chance he stays at Utah State
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Max Agbonkpolo - No Return to Utah State
Landon Brenchley - No Return to Utah State
Dallin Grant - No Return to Utah State
Javon Jackson - No Return to Utah State
Ian Martinez - No Return to Utah State
Kalifa Sakho - No Return to Utah State
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jordy Barnes - Will Sign at Utah State
Chris Cox - MEDIUM chance he signs at Utah State
Terrence Hill - NO chance he signs at Utah State
Kase Wynott - MINOR chance he signs at Utah State
Thanks for the intel, 22. What's the difference between a MODERATE and MEDIUM confidence level in the above scale? Which is a higher confidence level?

Also how long would you guess it's going to be until we start having some more clarity on who is returning?

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 4th, 2024, 4:44 pm

I'm really surprised by Javon. With Brown done and Hill now not coming you would think he would think he could make a run at the starting pg spot. Can't help but think Coach told him otherwise.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 4th, 2024, 5:08 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 4:35 pm
aggies22 wrote:
After assessing how things have transpired this week and trying to do as much research as I can, this is my PREDICTION as to who stays, who is going, and who is on the fence. If at any time I have reason to believe that my prediction needs to be altered I will do so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the intel, 22. What's the difference between a MODERATE and MEDIUM confidence level in the above scale? Which is a higher confidence level?

Also how long would you guess it's going to be until we start having some more clarity on who is returning?
I rated MODERATE as having a higher chance of returning than MEDIUM. Sorry for the confusion my Aggie brothers.

As for a time table, that's up to them. If I get a chance to clarify anything I will.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » April 4th, 2024, 5:21 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 5:08 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 4:35 pm
aggies22 wrote:

I rated MODERATE as having a higher chance of returning than MEDIUM. Sorry for the confusion my Aggie brothers.

As for a time table, that's up to them. If I get a chance to clarify anything I will.
Thank you 22! Your levelheaded knowledgable participation has got me back enjoying this forum.
Cheers to you!
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post (total 5):
ereksonaggie95aggies22cvalvegasaggieEngineeringAggie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 4th, 2024, 5:33 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 3:23 pm
Elkaggie wrote:

He could get paid an NIL deal through an English company...or they could just leave a bag of cash on his bed.
Why on the bed? Why not on the dresser or in the closet?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » April 4th, 2024, 5:36 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 5:33 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 3:23 pm
Elkaggie wrote:

Why on the bed? Why not on the dresser or in the closet?
Have you ever tried rolling around naked in cash on a dresser or in a closet? Trust me, the bed is the best place to leave the cash.
These users thanked the author Zaggie07 for the post:
Aggie in Boise

GUS

Post by GUS » April 4th, 2024, 5:41 pm

I’ve seen enough of Jackson Grant to know I don’t want a scholarship used on him. Saw lots more potential out of Burris.
From what I’ve read foreign players NIL money is getting passed through family members to get around the student visa issues.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 4th, 2024, 5:56 pm

Regarding Wynott, I don’t really get why he wouldn’t still have us at or near the top of his list. Maybe Sprinkle offers him a spot at Washington, but a lot of the reasons he committed here in the first place would still be viable/top of mind you would think.

Not to mention his game would likely flourish under Calhoun
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
trevordude

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 4th, 2024, 5:58 pm

GUS wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 5:41 pm
I’ve seen enough of Jackson Grant to know I don’t want a scholarship used on him. Saw lots more potential out of Burris.
From what I’ve read foreign players NIL money is getting passed through family members to get around the student visa issues.
Given he’s a big body and has familiarity with the team, it’s hard to imagine Calhoun counseling him out this year given how much turnover there will still be

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 4th, 2024, 6:27 pm

I saw a headline for an article about the state of the Louisville basketball team. Every scholarship player has entered the portal. Welcome to our world, Louisville.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 4th, 2024, 6:55 pm

My guess is that once the 7’3 dude transfers in from Youngstown, the Jackson Grant situation will change. Just a guess though.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 4th, 2024, 6:59 pm

With Mason in the portal, why is he not in the on the fence category? Even if he is likely to come back. What is making you so confident with that one?
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 4th, 2024, 7:52 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 6:59 pm
With Mason in the portal, why is he not in the on the fence category? Even if he is likely to come back. What is making you so confident with that one?
Call it a hunch my Aggie brother.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 6):
LarryTheAggiecvalAngusAgEngineeringAggieGreenAgAggiefan33

AGGIEinIOWA

Current State of USU Basketball

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 4th, 2024, 7:53 pm

22 will have to confirm but this is my interpretation of his possibility levels of staying.

Staying: 90-100%
Very High: 70-89%
Moderate: 50-69%
Medium: 30-49%
Minor: 10-29%
No Chance: 0-9%
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
aggies22

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 4th, 2024, 7:54 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 7:52 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 6:59 pm
Call it a hunch my Aggie brother.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

McTdawg
Been thanked: 0

Post by McTdawg » April 4th, 2024, 8:26 pm

Is Ian expected to follow DS to UW?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 4th, 2024, 8:40 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 6:27 pm
I saw a headline for an article about the state of the Louisville basketball team. Every scholarship player has entered the portal. Welcome to our world, Louisville.
Depaul has had all players hit the transfer portal as well.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 4th, 2024, 8:53 pm

McTdawg wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 8:26 pm
Is Ian expected to follow DS to UW?
Nope. I think Ian will end up back East near his parents. Maybe in the ACC.

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » April 4th, 2024, 8:56 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 8:40 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Virginia Tech has been hit hard as well by the portal. And their women’s coach left for Kentucky, and took their best players with him. It’s rough all over.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » April 4th, 2024, 9:19 pm

greggers1868 wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 8:56 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 8:40 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Virginia Tech has been hit hard as well by the portal. And their women’s coach left for Kentucky, and took their best players with him. It’s rough all over.
Tim Miles was on local sports radio today in Minneapolis. He talked about how difficult things are with NIL and how the “have nots” have to focus on young players or international players because otherwise they just can’t compete. He also described the NCAA as a big jenga game and the schools are the blocks. At some point it’s all going to come crashing down and then things will have to be rebuilt. It’s definitely rough.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan160 for the post (total 4):
aggies22cvalImportAggieflying_scotsman2.0

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » April 4th, 2024, 9:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:

Pick half of the “stays at Utah state” section

Pick one from Josh, Great, Nigel

Pick one of the high school recruits

That’s a pretty good foundation to build on. Also, huge shout out to @aggies22 for this. I took a bit of the forums but I’m so glad to see your posts on a few of these threads. What you do means a lot

I’m really excited about the possibilities of this team. I’m stoked about both templin and Johnson. I’m stoked for Calhoun. Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author ImportAggie for the post:
aggies22

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 4th, 2024, 9:52 pm

ImportAggie wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 9:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:

That’s a pretty good foundation to build on. Also, huge shout out to @aggies22 for this. I took a bit of the forums but I’m so glad to see your posts on a few of these threads. What you do means a lot

I’m really excited about the possibilities of this team. I’m stoked about both templin and Johnson. I’m stoked for Calhoun. Go Aggies!
Just get Osobor to re-commit. Everyone else is (more or less) replaceable.

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » April 4th, 2024, 10:06 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 9:52 pm
ImportAggie wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 9:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:

Just get Osobor to re-commit. Everyone else is (more or less) replaceable.
Obviously Osobor is pretty impossible to replace, withstanding a miracle. But there’s also something to be said about the group and keeping a lot of the group together. Idk but I believe in momentum and the energy continuing from last year, even if the starting 5 looks very different.

I’ve also come to believe in all these guys, trying to get to know them, their background, and I believe players can develop. Osobor was a 6th man last year in a lesser conference. Obviously want him, but I’m still very optimistic even without him

signalwar

Post by signalwar » April 4th, 2024, 10:08 pm

aggies22 wrote:

Did you run this past Hoffman? He might get pissed? The weasel.
These users thanked the author signalwar for the post:
AggieBlues

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 4th, 2024, 10:20 pm

signalwar wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 10:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:

Did you run this past Hoffman? He might get pissed? The weasel.
I'm pretty sure other people have better access to kids decisions than Hoffman does. Ultimately, it's up to the person that gives him the information if he is at liberty to share it or not.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
signalwar

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 4th, 2024, 10:29 pm

I long for the day that the Jenga tower collapses.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 8):
Blue Sageaggies22AgliciousAggie in Boiseflying_scotsman2.0cvalAggiefan160AggieBlues

stwinward

Post by stwinward » April 4th, 2024, 10:49 pm

josephconlin wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 3:45 pm
tipitup wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 3:32 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
So, he should shoot more than one at a time? Here's one option! :joking:
I think this post confirmed that we went to high school together and took turns playing games on our HP48GX calculators freshman year at USU while the other took notes.
Last edited by stwinward on April 5th, 2024, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author stwinward for the post:
josephconlin

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 5th, 2024, 1:16 am

I’d prefer Calhoun’s 7’3” freshman and Burns over keeping Grant and Burris.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
ImportAggieslcagg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic