Current State of USU Basketball

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Re: Current State of USU Basketball

Post by SLB » April 22nd, 2024, 6:26 pm

Highlights of some of the players on the team

These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
bigblue32slcagg

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » April 22nd, 2024, 8:57 pm

@aggies22 - do you think with Ian staying it could have any bearing on Mac or Osobors decision or has that ship sailed? I’d imagine they all talk so this is not news to them, their waiting to announce this long is keeping my hopes alive.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 22nd, 2024, 9:01 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 8:57 pm
@aggies22 - do you think with Ian staying it could have any bearing on Mac or Osobors decision or has that ship sailed? I’d imagine they all talk so this is not news to them, their waiting to announce this long is keeping my hopes alive.
No, I don't think Ian's decision affects what either player does.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 6:03 am

Hard to overstate how badly we screwed over Jordy Barnes in this whole process.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 5):
LarryTheAggieAngusAgPIGSKINAGGIERoy McAvoyReal Life Aggie

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 6:44 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 6:03 am
This, the guy put up ridiculous numbers, stayed loyal through two coaching changes and then we cut him off despite having 7 open spots.

I love everything that Calhoun has done so far but that is a head scratcher, same with Cox.

And I almost get it IF we just stopped going after high school kids altogether, but then we turn around and offer some east coast high school kids that I think are less impressive. All while Calhoun says we are going to recruit local.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 4):
YoungBloodAggieNEAggieZaggie07Real Life Aggie

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 6:57 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 6:44 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
This, the guy put up ridiculous numbers, stayed loyal through two coaching changes and then we cut him off despite having 7 open spots.

I love everything that Calhoun has done so far but that is a head scratcher, same with Cox.

And I almost get it IF we just stopped going after high school kids altogether, but then we turn around and offer some east coast high school kids that I think are less impressive. All while Calhoun says we are going to recruit local.
Just curious, who do you think is less impressive that he is recruiting?

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 7:04 am

JFWAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 6:57 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Kuany and Walker. I don't think they are bad, but I would rather have Barnes.

Esspecially since the excuse, from the people in the know here, for dropping Barnes was, "high school kids are not part of the strategy, and it doesn't make sense to recruit high school kids in r modern college game." Then we go out and offer east coast kids?

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » April 23rd, 2024, 7:11 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 7:04 am
JFWAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Esspecially since the excuse, from the people in the know here, for dropping Barnes was, "high school kids are not part of the strategy, and it doesn't make sense to recruit high school kids in r modern college game." Then we go out and offer east coast kids?
Walker fits much more into the system than Barnes.

Barnes would have been a practice guy his whole career, sorry, not sorry

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 23rd, 2024, 7:27 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
JFWAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

One thing I really hope Calhoun that doesn’t miss is that part of USU’s secret sauce seems to be finding overlooked local kids to be a part of the team.

There just seems to be some aspect of having a local kid that while he may be a little less talented or undersized on a relative scale, they have been wildly successful. We’ve had ones that worked harder, took more pride in playing for usu, had a stronger will to win, were a better locker room presence, and helped engage fan support. I could go through a long list of guys that fit this mold.

I really hope that isn’t lost on Calhoun.

*Actually, to help drive home this point I'm going to list out kids that fit this mold that a coach with a different mindset of "I'm just going to get the best most athletic player I can" wouldn't have (or didn't like other schools) offer:

Steven Ashworth
Trevin Dorius
Brock Miller
Abel Porter
David Collette
Kyle Davis
Ben Clifford
Morgan Grim
Nate Bendall
Tai Wesley
Brian Green
Jared Quayle
Tyler Newbold
Jaycee Carroll
Spencer Nelson
Tony Brown

Even a few other guys that while they weren't born in Utah they fit the mold:
Quin Taylor
Justin Bean
Spencer Butterfield
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on April 23rd, 2024, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
LarryTheAggie

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » April 23rd, 2024, 7:32 am

You look back at some of our best teams and most have had in state kids on them mixed In with other talented players . I get things have changed and you have to shift strategy to compete but I don’t get running off Jordy Barnes at all ? Or Dallin Grant for that matter
These users thanked the author BigCountryAG for the post:
NEAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 7:41 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 7:27 am

One thing I really hope Calhoun that doesn’t miss is that part of USU’s secret sauce seems to be finding overlooked local kids to be a part of the team.

There just seems to be some aspect of having a local kid that while he may be a little less talented or undersized on a relative scale, they have been wildly successful. We’ve had ones that worked harder, took more pride in playing for usu, had a stronger will to win, were a better locker room presence, and helped engage fan support. I could go through a long list of guys that fit this mold.

I think it is obvious that Calhoun doesn't believe in what you are saying. He is getting rid of those players that fit that mold. All to bring in high schoolers from the East Coast. That also won't help him in the coming years when he tries to recruit locally.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 23rd, 2024, 7:56 am

NVAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 7:41 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I think it is obvious that Calhoun doesn't believe in what you are saying. He is getting rid of those players that fit that mold. All to bring in high schoolers from the East Coast. That also won't help him in the coming years when he tries to recruit locally.
It has always been part of who we are and In today's world, with the ease of transferring, I think it is even more important. I for sure am not totally comfortable with some of the current decisions. I might feel better if the kids he was going after were way more talented than what you can get locally but I am not seeing that.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieNEAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 23rd, 2024, 8:30 am

I doubt the importance of recruiting Utah is lost on Coach Calhoun. The most likely conclusion is that he just wasn’t all that enamored with Barnes and Cox. I will be honest, I wasn’t either. I do feel bad that this has left both of them in a lurch.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 5):
Roy McAvoybigblue32Aggie84025MetsJetsAggieshipsterdoofus21

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 23rd, 2024, 8:35 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 8:30 am
I doubt the importance of recruiting Utah is lost on Coach Calhoun. The most likely conclusion is that he just wasn’t all that enamored with Barnes and Cox. I will be honest, I wasn’t either. I do feel bad that this has left both of them in a lurch.
Why didn't they sign in the Fall? Was Sprinkle seeing them as borderline scholie players as well?
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
AGinNEIowabigblue32TrueBlue

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 23rd, 2024, 8:45 am

Just be patient fellas. Calhoun isn't opposed to local recruits.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
slcagg

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 23rd, 2024, 8:47 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 8:45 am
I agree 👍
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 23rd, 2024, 8:57 am

GeoAg wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 8:47 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I agree 👍
Of course he isn’t “opposed to local recruiting”. Nobody is opposed to local recruiting.

Is he opposed to recruiting a local kid that’s overlooked and maybe seen as slightly undersized or less athletic verses some HS kid from far away with no connections to Utah that he perceives to be a little better?

Obviously this isn’t the entire roster but when it comes down to the last scholarship or two which type of player is he going to use that on?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 23rd, 2024, 9:26 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
JFWAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

*Actually, to help drive home this point I'm going to list out kids that fit this mold that a coach with a different mindset of "I'm just going to get the best most athletic player I can" wouldn't have (or didn't like other schools) offer:

Steven Ashworth
Trevin Dorius
Brock Miller
Abel Porter
David Collette
Kyle Davis
Ben Clifford
Morgan Grim
Nate Bendall
Tai Wesley
Brian Green
Jared Quayle
Tyler Newbold
Jaycee Carroll
Spencer Nelson
Tony Brown

Even a few other guys that while they weren't born in Utah they fit the mold:
Quin Taylor
Justin Bean
Spencer Butterfield
He mentioned in his presser he wanted to recruit local players, local being like a 6 hours radius from Logan. Having Daniels on staff who has spent most of his career in Utah will help. I agree it is important to have local players on the roster. You obviously cannot fill all of them with local guys but to completely avoid it would be a disaster IMO.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 23rd, 2024, 9:41 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 8:57 am
GeoAg wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I agree 👍
Of course he isn’t “opposed to local recruiting”. Nobody is opposed to local recruiting.

Is he opposed to recruiting a local kid that’s overlooked and maybe seen as slightly undersized or less athletic verses some HS kid from far away with no connections to Utah that he perceives to be a little better?

Obviously this isn’t the entire roster but when it comes down to the last scholarship or two which type of player is he going to use that on?
I don’t think we should avoid recruiting overlooked local kids, but at the same time, how many NCAA tourney wins have our rosters filled with overlooked local kids given us?

The common denominator of the 2001 team and 2024 teams that broke through is that they were not filled with overlooked local kids. The two contributing local kids on the 2024 team were blue chip recruits out of high school with P5 offers.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025QuackAttackAggie

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » April 23rd, 2024, 10:14 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 9:41 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 8:57 am
GeoAg wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I agree 👍

I don’t think we should avoid recruiting overlooked local kids, but at the same time, how many NCAA tourney wins have our rosters filled with overlooked local kids given us?

The common denominator of the 2001 team and 2024 teams that broke through is that they were not filled with overlooked local kids. The two contributing local kids on the 2024 team were blue chip recruits out of high school with P5 offers.
I get that winning in the dance is the ultimate goal but we have one numerous conference titles and lots of games that have built this program to what it is with allot of underrated kids . The difference now is it’s hard to develop them and hang on to them after they develop they leave you for a so to speak better better deal. We used to worry about them leaving to ybu after their mission now we have to worry every year losing them to more money so things have changed in that aspect. So I argue with myself while I am not happy that jordy Barnes got left out I tell myself well if if he came here and developed on our dime who is ti say he wouldn’t ditch us for more money. It’s sad that this is what it has become but it is definetly two sided and it’s probably not worth taking chances on kids who can’t contribute right away and that’s sad.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 23rd, 2024, 10:19 am

You should also consider the circumstances. Barnes was committed for years now, it seems bad form to pull his offer after all this time. I don’t know the specifics though, so maybe I’m jumping to conclusions.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 3):
Aggie in BoiseReal Life AggieYoungBloodAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 10:40 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:19 am
You should also consider the circumstances. Barnes was committed for years now, it seems bad form to pull his offer after all this time. I don’t know the specifics though, so maybe I’m jumping to conclusions.
If Coach Calhoun is really going all in next year maybe local kids just aren't good enough (in his mind).

Getting rid of the end of bench guys is another interesting move twords that end.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 23rd, 2024, 11:45 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:40 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:19 am
If Coach Calhoun is really going all in next year maybe local kids just aren't good enough (in his mind).

Getting rid of the end of bench guys is another interesting move twords that end.
As long as Calhoun gets us at least 2 wins in the NCAA Tourney next season then NOBODY CARES whether or not we have local kids at the end of the bench especially when we have two local kids starting.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

TrueBlue
Pick'em Champ - '13,'14,'15,'16 BB Predict The Score

Post by TrueBlue » April 23rd, 2024, 12:09 pm

Players can't have it both ways. You can't both expect a school to keep a commitment and then have ultimate freedom at the end of each year to jump ship. It sucks for Barnes, I would have liked to see him here, but he should be pissed at the new NIL world rather than Calhoun. Mercenaries for hire should work both ways, glad to see Calhoun sees that.
These users thanked the author TrueBlue for the post (total 8):
Aggie84025tjensen_25hipsterdoofus21GeoAgSLBAGinNEIowaAggieFBObsession918AGG

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 3:32 pm

TrueBlue wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:09 pm
Players can't have it both ways. You can't both expect a school to keep a commitment and then have ultimate freedom at the end of each year to jump ship. It sucks for Barnes, I would have liked to see him here, but he should be pissed at the new NIL world rather than Calhoun. Mercenaries for hire should work both ways, glad to see Calhoun sees that.
Jordy Barnes is a local, legacy kid that committed and then recommitted under two different staffs to USU despite having offers elsewhere. There is also zero indication that he was ever using us for bigger offers or that he’d jump ship after a good year.

He’s also a 3X all-state player, four year starter, and 2X state champ, so it’s not like he isn’t better than most dudes we bring in from a resume perspective.

If you’re going to be this stupid, please at least have the common sense to try to hide it better.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggiePIGSKINAGGIE

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

TrueBlue
Pick'em Champ - '13,'14,'15,'16 BB Predict The Score

Post by TrueBlue » April 23rd, 2024, 4:01 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 3:32 pm
TrueBlue wrote:
Jordy Barnes is a local, legacy kid that committed and then recommitted under two different staffs to USU despite having offers elsewhere. There is also zero indication that he was ever using us for bigger offers or that he’d jump ship after a good year.

He’s also a 3X all-state player, four year starter, and 2X state champ, so it’s not like he isn’t better than most dudes we bring in from a resume perspective.

If you’re going to be this stupid, please at least have the common sense to try to hide it better.
If I was trying to be stupid I would just copy most of your asinine posts.

I don't really care about his accolades, as impressive as they are, and obviously neither does Calhoun. It sucks for Barnes, that's great he was loyal, would have been really cool to see him here. Unfortunately for him, his skillset apparently doesn't match what Calhoun is trying to build. And you build yearly now rather than for the future. So while he will probably turn out to be a great player, it won't be here, because I guess Coach doesn't think he fits next year's squad. I don't know why we offered some of the others, but I'll give Calhoun a chance to show why.

It's going to be more common going forward that high school kids, who aren't graded at 4-5 stars, are not going to get the offers they once did. They will have to prove themselves somewhere else, usually at a lower level, then jump ship and grab that sweet NIL after someone else has developed them. I'd rather USU be the latter in that scenario and not the former. Again, it sucks for Barnes, but that's the reality of the transfer portal/NIL as it currently stands.

That's great you can see into the future about how he would never leave USU. You should inform the staff so we can get you involved, I'm sure they'd love to have someone with your skillset on staff.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 23rd, 2024, 7:50 pm

There are still 2 local kids on the roster that have proven they can get it done at this level. I liked the idea of Barnes and Cox but if Calhoun isn’t on board that’s his call. As has mentioned what he brings in better be above the players Cox and Barnes become.
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » April 23rd, 2024, 10:25 pm

brian5562 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 7:50 pm
There are still 2 local kids on the roster that have proven they can get it done at this level. I liked the idea of Barnes and Cox but if Calhoun isn’t on board that’s his call. As has mentioned what he brings in better be above the players Cox and Barnes become.
Barnes is a good player but he would be much better to start out at a UVU/Weber/SUU.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » April 24th, 2024, 10:19 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 3:32 pm
TrueBlue wrote:

You do mean to say "zero indication, except for the entire college basketball landscape, and the majority of the transfer news that we've heard over the last two years," right?

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 24th, 2024, 10:41 am

GeoAg wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 8:35 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Why didn't they sign in the Fall? Was Sprinkle seeing them as borderline scholie players as well?
Danny told me he thought Cox could end up in the NBA.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 24th, 2024, 10:55 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 10:41 am
GeoAg wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Why do you think Calhoun cooled on him?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 24th, 2024, 11:00 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 10:55 am
aggies22 wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Why do you think Calhoun cooled on him?
For one, in the state tournament this year in 4a basketball he only had 4 points in the quarterfinal game against Logan High, then in the semi-final game against Snow Canyon he only scored 6 points.

He did play better in the state championship loss to Layton Christian, but it's crazy he only scored 10 points total in 2 games against utah 4a schools in the state tournament.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 24th, 2024, 11:15 am

aggies22 wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Why is he not recruiting him to UW then?
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21MrBiggle

jwaggie

Post by jwaggie » April 24th, 2024, 12:03 pm

I get why people are saying that it's not worth developing kids (even local) because we're worried about them leaving after a good year. I think the local kids are the ones worth taking a chance on and developing. Not every local kid is going to stay (Ashworth) but Mason was offered a lot more money to go other places but chose to stay.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 24th, 2024, 12:08 pm

jwaggie wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 12:03 pm
I get why people are saying that it's not worth developing kids (even local) because we're worried about them leaving after a good year. I think the local kids are the ones worth taking a chance on and developing. Not every local kid is going to stay (Ashworth) but Mason was offered a lot more money to go other places but chose to stay.
Those are good points, especially considering that each year there are going to be 4ish scholarship players that don't see the floor much. Not all 13 scholarship players are going to get regular minutes. I would rather take a chance on a regional player that loves the program to use for one of the last scholarships versus someone with no connection to the program.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
ereksonaggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic