NIL and foreign players

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FeartheFro

Re: NIL and foreign players

Post by FeartheFro » April 5th, 2024, 9:25 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:I didn’t have SLB engaging in xenophobia on my BINGO card today, but here we are.
Paging 78!!! Your son needs your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 5th, 2024, 9:34 pm

You just had a large number of international players generate millions of dollars for USU and we have folks upset that they took home a share of it because either they aren’t a citizen or because they are “entitled”
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiMetsJetsAggiesGaAggie

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » April 5th, 2024, 9:35 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 8:41 pm
Slim80 wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 8:17 pm
All of you on both sides of the argument need to take it down a few notches. It feels like a soap opera in here. The reality of the situation is there are federal laws that dictate what can and can’t be done when you are here on a student visa. Our Collective can’t skirt those laws and start wading into murky waters or there will be serious ramifications from the government and BOOM!! Kiss our collective goodbye. The Collective needs to be creative in how they support these foreign athletes but it has to be done legally regardless if you agree with the law or not. Xenophobic or not.
No one is saying otherwise. Reread SLBs take because that is not what he said
If you want to talk details about how NIL can be given to foreign athletes then great, let’s do that in this thread. If you want to fight about whether or not SLB is a Xenophobe, then do it in the sandbox.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 5th, 2024, 9:39 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 7:47 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 6:08 pm
SLB wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 6:01 pm
BioAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 5:56 pm
tetonaggie wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 5:50 pm
SLB wrote:Citizenship should be a requirement. Rewarding American citizens should be a thing.
Take this xenophobic hate to the sandbox. What a mess you are.

Better yet, get it all the way off the board.
People can disagree with everyone on this thread to differing degrees because this is a true grey area topic.
My personal opinion is American citizenship requirement. You can agree or disagree.
It’s a poor representation for the rest of the University and fan base

I for one love foreign born players and we’ve had a ton of success with them. I hope we find any way possible to pay Great what he deserves
What he deserves? $2,000 stipend per month on top of tuition? What? 500K? No. 1MM? No. What does he deserve?

What he deserves is to be deported if he's paid based on breaking the law of a student visa. A lot of people immigrate to this country and have to live like sh!t because they can't work. They all make that sacrifice for a future in this country. Why do these self-entitled kids deserve more than anyone else who's an immigrant?
He deserves what the market says he deserves. Saying he deserves less because he is from another country or that he is a"self entitled kid" is just stupid. College players have financial opportunities now and what opportunities come their way should be based off merit and the value they bring to a University, not where they are from.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesGaAggie

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » April 5th, 2024, 9:46 pm

Thinking specifically about Osobor. Under current law, Can our collective funnel money to England to get it in the hands of Great? Can someone more savvy than me with international business help explain how you might go about this?

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 5th, 2024, 9:48 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 8:39 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
SLB wrote:
BioAggie wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:
SLB wrote:Citizenship should be a requirement. Rewarding American citizens should be a thing.

People can disagree with everyone on this thread to differing degrees because this is a true grey area topic.
My personal opinion is American citizenship requirement. You can agree or disagree.

I for one love foreign born players and we’ve had a ton of success with them. I hope we find any way possible to pay Great what he deserves
What he deserves? $2,000 stipend per month on top of tuition? What? 500K? No. 1MM? No. What does he deserve?

What he deserves is to be deported if he's paid based on breaking the law of a student visa. A lot of people immigrate to this country and have to live like sh!t because they can't work. They all make that sacrifice for a future in this country. Why do these self-entitled kids deserve more than anyone else who's an immigrant?
Whatever the market decides to pay him, just like everyone else

And once again, the university recruited him. If there is an avenue to reward him for what the university deems he’s worth of then I hope they find every legal avenue to do so.

What a (I can't express myself without swearing) argument
Whatever the market says and break the law at the same time? WTF!

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 5th, 2024, 11:18 pm

Slim80 wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 9:35 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 8:41 pm
Slim80 wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 8:17 pm
All of you on both sides of the argument need to take it down a few notches. It feels like a soap opera in here. The reality of the situation is there are federal laws that dictate what can and can’t be done when you are here on a student visa. Our Collective can’t skirt those laws and start wading into murky waters or there will be serious ramifications from the government and BOOM!! Kiss our collective goodbye. The Collective needs to be creative in how they support these foreign athletes but it has to be done legally regardless if you agree with the law or not. Xenophobic or not.
No one is saying otherwise. Reread SLBs take because that is not what he said
If you want to talk details about how NIL can be given to foreign athletes then great, let’s do that in this thread. If you want to fight about whether or not SLB is a Xenophobe, then do it in the sandbox.
That’s exactly what we were doing before SLB chimed in…

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 5th, 2024, 11:20 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 9:48 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
SLB wrote:
BioAggie wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

And once again, the university recruited him. If there is an avenue to reward him for what the university deems he’s worth of then I hope they find every legal avenue to do so.

No one here is talking about breaking the law smart guy. Obviously hypothetical based on whether foreign players can legally make NIL money in the future and how much Great will be able to make if he is allowed.

Pretty amazing how it’s the same types of characters spouting (I can't express myself without swearing) like this every time

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 6th, 2024, 4:09 am

Ahbye wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 6:17 pm
SLB wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
SLB wrote:
BioAggie wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

I love everyone, but I do feel that something is wrong when all the NIL monies go to everyone in the world. There is a process to be an American citizen for folks not born in the USA.
Please explain to me the process for a foreign-born college basketball player to become a US citizen besides getting married.

Then as a bonus, explain to me why the federal government should dictate that companies shouldn't be able to have a non-citizen spokesperson.

I'm serious. I'd love to see you explain "the process" for these guys to become citizens.

I have almost a decade of experience on this very topic (I've probably adjudicated around 400,000 nonimmigrant and immigrant visas, along with 10,000 or so citizenship claims) so I'll give you a starting point. Student visas, whether you're an exceptional D1 athlete or taking English lessons at a community college, don't have a pathway to even a green card. None of these guys have any viable road to citizenship unless they marry a US citizen or their parent is an LPR.

I'd have gotten awfully tired of all that adjudication. For a 2080 hour work year, that's over 19 per hour to do 410,000 visas over 10 years. Did you at least have helpers? That's so much paper.
Yeah I have a big team helping. Usually at least 1 locally employed staff member for every US citizen adjudicator. I have a team of 10 locals here for me and the two adjudicators that I supervise.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 6th, 2024, 9:23 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 11:20 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 9:48 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
SLB wrote:
BioAggie wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

No one here is talking about breaking the law smart guy. Obviously hypothetical based on whether foreign players can legally make NIL money in the future and how much Great will be able to make if he is allowed.

Pretty amazing how it’s the same types of characters spouting (I can't express myself without swearing) like this every time
There are a couple of work-arounds which would allow foreign players to earn NIL $ without violating the terms of their visas. You can bet that all avenues are being explored.

https://theworld.org/stories/2024-01-17 ... -nil-deals#

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 6th, 2024, 10:20 am

I hope no one brings this thread to Shulga's attention. He might be crossing a name off his Christmas card list.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggieZaggie07TrueAG

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » April 6th, 2024, 10:46 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 4:09 am
Ahbye wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
SLB wrote:
BioAggie wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

I love everyone, but I do feel that something is wrong when all the NIL monies go to everyone in the world. There is a process to be an American citizen for folks not born in the USA.
Please explain to me the process for a foreign-born college basketball player to become a US citizen besides getting married.

Then as a bonus, explain to me why the federal government should dictate that companies shouldn't be able to have a non-citizen spokesperson.

I'm serious. I'd love to see you explain "the process" for these guys to become citizens.

I have almost a decade of experience on this very topic (I've probably adjudicated around 400,000 nonimmigrant and immigrant visas, along with 10,000 or so citizenship claims) so I'll give you a starting point. Student visas, whether you're an exceptional D1 athlete or taking English lessons at a community college, don't have a pathway to even a green card. None of these guys have any viable road to citizenship unless they marry a US citizen or their parent is an LPR.

I'd have gotten awfully tired of all that adjudication. For a 2080 hour work year, that's over 19 per hour to do 410,000 visas over 10 years. Did you at least have helpers? That's so much paper.
Yeah I have a big team helping. Usually at least 1 locally employed staff member for every US citizen adjudicator. I have a team of 10 locals here for me and the two adjudicators that I supervise.

That's good. It does give a good picture of the sheer volume of visa applications going through. My wife thanks you. It makes 90-Day Fiancee that much more dramatic when they're waiting on immigration. :joking:

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 6th, 2024, 11:04 am

So are we in a preseason tournament next year? Lets Bahamas or Cayman Islands? Great could make bank while not in the US.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 6th, 2024, 11:28 am

SLB wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 5:45 pm
Citizenship should be a requirement. Rewarding American citizens should be a thing.
Not a fan of your take.

It seems reasonable that benefits offered to international athletes, by a STATE University funded by US taxpayers, should have restrictions and limits on what they can offer…. but NIL is funded by private entities and personally I think private entities should generally be allowed to spend their money however they choose (excluding illegal drugs and such).

I don’t believe that someone is more deserving, better, smarter, superior, etc. because of their citizenship. There are awesome people all around the world and there are also losers everywhere, and shockingly :sarcasm: there are even some losers in the US.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesAggie formerly in Hawaii

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 6th, 2024, 1:13 pm

Our government sends our money overseas,

I have no worries about private business or people giving foreign basketball players money

Not sent from Tapatalk

StanfordAggie

NIL money for foreign players

Post by StanfordAggie » April 6th, 2024, 10:41 pm

Since this has been discussed a lot in threads about Osobor, I thought I would make a separate thread about this. My wife is an immigration lawyer, so I asked her about this. The short answer is that student athletes on F visas (far and away the most common type of student visa) are generally not allowed to receive NIL money. See the following article about Zach Edey (who is Canadian) noting that he has not been able to fully take advantage of the NIL system:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/ncaa-mens-bask ... gulations/

Having said that, there are ways to get around this. As noted in the article, foreign players can still receive money from jersey sales or video game licensing or other passive income sources. My wife was once approached by a company trying to issue NFT trading cards to foreign players that they could sell to boosters to give them NIL money. (The article says Edey got some NIL money using a similar approach.) Also, if they can arrange an NIL deal so that the player earns the money outside the U.S., that is legal. Finally, if the player qualifies for an O or a P visa, they can earn NIL money on these visas without any restrictions. The bottom line is that it is more complicated for foreign players, but a creative NIL collective can get money in a foreign player's pockets if they try hard enough.

As an aside, if anyone from the Blue A Collective is reading this, my wife is an O visa specialist, and she said she would be happy to do a free consultation with Osobor to see if he qualifies. DM me. :)
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionPIGSKINAGGIE

AggieFBObsession

Re: NIL money for foreign players

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 6th, 2024, 11:21 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 10:41 pm
Since this has been discussed a lot in threads about Osobor, I thought I would make a separate thread about this. My wife is an immigration lawyer, so I asked her about this. The short answer is that student athletes on F visas (far and away the most common type of student visa) are generally not allowed to receive NIL money. See the following article about Zach Edey (who is Canadian) noting that he has not been able to fully take advantage of the NIL system:

Having said that, there are ways to get around this. As noted in the article, foreign players can still receive money from jersey sales or video game licensing or other passive income sources. My wife was once approached by a company trying to issue NFT trading cards to foreign players that they could sell to boosters to give them NIL money. (The article says Edey got some NIL money using a similar approach.) Also, if they can arrange an NIL deal so that the player earns the money outside the U.S., that is legal. Finally, if the player qualifies for an O or a P visa, they can earn NIL money on these visas without any restrictions. The bottom line is that it is more complicated for foreign players, but a creative NIL collective can get money in a foreign player's pockets if they try hard enough.

As an aside, if anyone from the Blue A Collective is reading this, my wife is an O visa specialist, and she said she would be happy to do a free consultation with Osobor to see if he qualifies. DM me. :)
Awesome post. Finally someone who knows facts.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

NIL and foreign players

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 7th, 2024, 6:54 am

StanfordAggie wrote:Since this has been discussed a lot in threads about Osobor, I thought I would make a separate thread about this. My wife is an immigration lawyer, so I asked her about this. The short answer is that student athletes on F visas (far and away the most common type of student visa) are generally not allowed to receive NIL money. See the following article about Zach Edey (who is Canadian) noting that he has not been able to fully take advantage of the NIL system:

I tried to find examples of ncaa athletes on O visas. I did find 1. The hard part is you have to 1) have an employer file a work petition for you and 2) you have to prove that the work is the primary purpose of your travel and that studying is just incidental. It's a hard thing to prove in this context.

Last edited by QuackAttackAggie on April 7th, 2024, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parelkid

Post by Parelkid » April 7th, 2024, 9:19 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 6:54 am
StanfordAggie wrote:Since this has been discussed a lot in threads about Osobor, I thought I would make a separate thread about this. My wife is an immigration lawyer, so I asked her about this. The short answer is that student athletes on F visas (far and away the most common type of student visa) are generally not allowed to receive NIL money. See the following article about Zach Edey (who is Canadian) noting that he has not been able to fully take advantage of the NIL system:

I tried to find examples of ncaa athletes on I visas. I did find 1. The hard part is you have to 1) have an employer file a work petition for you and 2) you have to prove that the work is the primary purpose of your travel and that studying is just incidental. It's a hard thing to prove in this context.

If student athletes are in fact employees of the school, then I'd suggest that their studies are in fact incidental and a mere byproduct of their employment, at least in the big sports.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 7th, 2024, 10:39 am

Parelkid wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

I tried to find examples of ncaa athletes on I visas. I did find 1. The hard part is you have to 1) have an employer file a work petition for you and 2) you have to prove that the work is the primary purpose of your travel and that studying is just incidental. It's a hard thing to prove in this context.

If student athletes are in fact employees of the school, then I'd suggest that their studies are in fact incidental and a mere byproduct of their employment, at least in the big sports.
Hard to argue that when passing your classes is mandatory for continued inclusion on the team.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 7th, 2024, 10:57 am

Clearly there's a way foreign players can accept and get NIL money because it's happening across college basketball. End of story.

QuackAttackAggie

NIL and foreign players

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 7th, 2024, 10:59 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:Clearly there's a way foreign players can accept and get NIL money because it's happening across college basketball. End of story.
Yeah they've been detailed in either this or another thread a few times. The money just has to come from employment activity outside the US.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 7th, 2024, 2:48 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:

I tried to find examples of ncaa athletes on O visas. I did find 1. The hard part is you have to 1) have an employer file a work petition for you and 2) you have to prove that the work is the primary purpose of your travel and that studying is just incidental. It's a hard thing to prove in this context.

It isn't common for an NCAA athlete to get an O visa, but it does happen. My wife hasn't done one herself, but she has a friend who has done a bunch of them (and she says she has never had a denial). You don't necessarily need an employer to sponsor an O visa. An "agent" can do it. For athletes, agents are usually sports agents, but it doesn't have to be. My wife said she believes that an NIL consortium could sponsor an O visa, although she said she would have to do some research to see if anyone had tried that. Or some other random person could be the sponsor. She says it generally doesn't matter that much as long as they meet the other criteria.

And she said that it shouldn't be hard to argue that work is the primary purpose for coming to the U.S. if they are getting significant NIL money. You are allowed to study on an O visa, so the fact that the athlete is also in school is not problematic. If they have a six figure NIL deal, it wouldn't be difficult to argue that they came to the U.S. primarily for the NIL money rather than for the degree. (And as a practical matter, the O is an "extraordinary ability visa," so it will probably be difficult to get it approved unless the NIL deal is fairly large.)

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 7th, 2024, 3:15 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
SLB wrote:
BioAggie wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

I'm not a fan of SLB's nativism, either, but this isn't entirely accurate. If you graduate from a U.S. university, you get one year of OPT, where you are allowed to work in the U.S. (You get two years if you have a STEM degree.) And once you have a job, your employer can sponsor you for an H-1B, which allows you to apply for a green card later. Also, a student athlete can become eligible for a green card via an O or P visa, although those are harder to obtain.

Having said that, it is true that there is absolutely no way a foreign student can become a U.S. citizen while they are in school unless they are already eligible for citizenship and didn't know it. (My wife had a case where a woman's father was a U.S. citizen.) Even if they married a U.S. citizen immediately after arriving in the U.S., realistically they wouldn't be eligible for citizenship until after they graduate.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 7th, 2024, 3:33 pm

Unctuous self congratulations, with an ear focused on what Europeans are presenting thinking, are always a great look.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 7th, 2024, 3:52 pm

USU78 wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 3:33 pm
Unctuous self congratulations, with an ear focused on what Europeans are presenting thinking, are always a great look.
Can someone translate this for me?

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » April 7th, 2024, 5:07 pm

TrueAG wrote:
USU78 wrote:
I can. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I may completely agree with what he is writing but due to the constant showboating of his vocabulary I will never know. He received much more from his USU degree than I did.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 2):
utaggiesAggie formerly in Hawaii

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 7th, 2024, 5:20 pm

It means: Self important people sucking up to Euro trash aren't worth listening to.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 7th, 2024, 5:47 pm

USU78 wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 5:20 pm
It means: Self important people sucking up to Euro trash aren't worth listening to.
I must have missed the post re: the Euro trash that you refer to. Do you care to explain?
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 7th, 2024, 5:50 pm

:headscratch:

How has this not been moved to the Sandbox?

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 7th, 2024, 6:18 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
SLB wrote:
BioAggie wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

I'm not a fan of SLB's nativism, either, but this isn't entirely accurate. If you graduate from a U.S. university, you get one year of OPT, where you are allowed to work in the U.S. (You get two years if you have a STEM degree.) And once you have a job, your employer can sponsor you for an H-1B, which allows you to apply for a green card later. Also, a student athlete can become eligible for a green card via an O or P visa, although those are harder to obtain.

Having said that, it is true that there is absolutely no way a foreign student can become a U.S. citizen while they are in school unless they are already eligible for citizenship and didn't know it. (My wife had a case where a woman's father was a U.S. citizen.) Even if they married a U.S. citizen immediately after arriving in the U.S., realistically they wouldn't be eligible for citizenship until after they graduate.
Yeah, any pathway to citizenship is moot when he's arguing they should become US citizens if they want to get NIL.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » April 7th, 2024, 8:53 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 10:57 am
Clearly there's a way foreign players can accept and get NIL money because it's happening across college basketball. End of story.
Rumor has it the SEC found a loophole. They place stacks of non-sequential bills in small denominations in brown paper bags and hand them directly to the kids. Basically, what they've always done. :noidea:

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » April 7th, 2024, 8:54 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 5:07 pm
TrueAG wrote:
USU78 wrote:
I can. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I may completely agree with what he is writing but due to the constant showboating of his vocabulary I will never know. He received much more from his USU degree than I did.

I understood him perfectly, and I don't even have a humanities degree... :noidea:

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » April 7th, 2024, 9:12 pm

LKGates wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
USU78 wrote:

I understood him perfectly, and I don't even have a humanities degree... :noidea:
I just saw in another thread how you did so much better than people from Yale, Duke, Stanford, Cal State Bakersfield and others, so this doesn’t surprise me. I deem you and 78 the smartest people on USUFans!

LKGates

Post by LKGates » April 7th, 2024, 9:17 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:12 pm
LKGates wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
USU78 wrote:

I just saw in another thread how you did so much better than people from Yale, Duke, Stanford, Cal State Bakersfield and others, so this doesn’t surprise me. I deem you and 78 the smartest people on USUFans!

78 might be able to stake that claim. I know lots of people on this board smarter than I am. I wouldn't even want to be the smartest person on the board. The great Nobel laureate in physics, Richard Feynman, once said, "If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room."
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
USU78

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic