NAR: Coach Cal to Arkansas

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ToastedFlakes52

NAR: Coach Cal to Arkansas

Post by ToastedFlakes52 » April 7th, 2024, 9:35 pm

Looks to be all but confirmed. Don't know if anyone saw this coming. Calipari to the Razorbacks. Might set off another round of the carousel.

SLB

Re: NAR: Coach Cal to Arkansas

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2024, 9:42 pm

Kentucky is one of the biggest basketball schools on the border of Ohio, and this is going to impact the transfer portal.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Hoot

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 7th, 2024, 9:45 pm

SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:42 pm
Kentucky is one of the biggest basketball schools on the border of Ohio, and this is going to impact the transfer portal.
Lol now you are trolling
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
ToastedFlakes52

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 7th, 2024, 9:48 pm

What on earth? He has five years left on his contract at Kentucky that pays him around $9 million per year. Plus he gets to be a lifetime "paid ambassador" for UK after he retires. And Kentucky is arguably the best job in the country. Either Arkansas offered him an insane contract, or Kentucky has grounds to fire him with cause and gave him the option of resigning instead. I don't see how this move makes sense otherwise.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 7th, 2024, 9:50 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:What on earth? He has five years left on his contract at Kentucky that pays him around $9 million per year. Plus he gets to be a lifetime "paid ambassador" for UK after he retires. And Kentucky is arguably the best job in the country. Either Arkansas offered him an insane contract, or Kentucky has grounds to fire him with cause and gave him the option of resigning instead. I don't see how this move makes sense otherwise.
They wanted to fire him and considered a 45 million dollar buyout to do it. He's very very unpopular right now. Wonder if arkansas is going to pay up or if that was part of the deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 7th, 2024, 9:51 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:48 pm
What on earth? He has five years left on his contract at Kentucky that pays him around $9 million per year. Plus he gets to be a lifetime "paid ambassador" for UK after he retires. And Kentucky is arguably the best job in the country. Either Arkansas offered him an insane contract, or Kentucky has grounds to fire him with cause and gave him the option of resigning instead. I don't see how this move makes sense otherwise.
He was going to be on the hot seat next year. Failure to make the sweet sixteen next year and he would have fired. This allows him to save face and get another job without being fired. It happened with tubby at Kentucky too when he left for Minnesota.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 7th, 2024, 9:56 pm

Queue up the Pope to Kentucky nonsense from BYU fans. They really think they have something special there.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2024, 9:57 pm

Cal is one of those coaches that are not doing as well due to NIL being legal. When it was 100% under the table, he dominated with the NBA players. Kentucky losing their coach will make the portal bigger which allows more players fall through the cracks. Unlikely that we get anyone from Kentucky, but I have to imagine that Calhoun knows some of the Kentucky players (maybe Calhoun will pursue someone that he likes at Kentucky).

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 7th, 2024, 9:58 pm

Having been to Kentucky a couple times, I’m shocked the entire state was able to pool together enough money to pay him half that contract on an annual basis, let alone the buyout.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 7th, 2024, 10:00 pm

Word is it's 5 years at 7.5-8MM year and he'll have access to $5MM of NIL.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 7th, 2024, 10:01 pm

Arkansas has some donors with the last name of Tyson who according to reports are close to calipari.

Tyson foods is located close to Fayetteville.

Here is a little article about the Tyson family

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-own ... ory-2023-5

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 7th, 2024, 10:12 pm

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 7th, 2024, 10:15 pm

slcagg wrote:Arkansas has some donors with the last name of Tyson who according to reports are close to calipari.

Tyson foods is located close to Fayetteville.

Here is a little article about the Tyson family

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-own ... ory-2023-5
https://www.drovers.com/news/industry/t ... andom-home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » April 7th, 2024, 10:20 pm

So does this mean:
1) Tyson didn’t like Muss? Surely he could have succeeded with that much NIL money
2) Muss or his Musses didn’t like Arkansas
3) Muss was urged to move on
4) something else?

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 7th, 2024, 10:20 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:51 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
He was going to be on the hot seat next year. Failure to make the sweet sixteen next year and he would have fired. This allows him to save face and get another job without being fired. It happened with tubby at Kentucky too when he left for Minnesota.
This scenario happened with Steve Alford leaving Iowa for New Mexico way back in the day.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 7th, 2024, 10:23 pm

Alright, where is Calhoun headed in the Kentucky fallout? Completes the 3-2-1-0 trajectory we've been careening towards.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
MrBiggleflying_scotsman2.0EngineeringAggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 7th, 2024, 10:29 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
If I were in danger of being paid $35 million to work on my golf game if I didn't make the Sweet Sixteen, I wouldn't be losing too much sleep at night. But if Arkansas is offering him comparable money to what he was getting at Kentucky, this makes more sense. You get less pressure to win for the same amount of money. And maybe he also thinks he can't win without buying players, so he wants the unlimited NIL money.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 7th, 2024, 10:32 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 10:20 pm
So does this mean:
1) Tyson didn’t like Muss? Surely he could have succeeded with that much NIL money
4) something else?
I heard they didn't like Muss. They were not happy with him this year. Arkansas has a lot more money than people realize. Walmart and Jerry Jones are some of the bigger doners according to a friend of mine who is a huge hogs doner himself. But that's all rumor just something I heard from him.

#hornsup!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 7th, 2024, 10:33 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 10:29 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
If I were in danger of being paid $35 million to work on my golf game if I didn't make the Sweet Sixteen, I wouldn't be losing too much sleep at night. But if Arkansas is offering him comparable money to what he was getting at Kentucky, this makes more sense. You get less pressure to win for the same amount of money. And maybe he also thinks he can't win without buying players, so he wants the unlimited NIL money.
Comparable money plus coaches don't like to be fired even with a big buyout. Bruises the ego and most like coaching

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » April 7th, 2024, 11:09 pm

Cal moves on to the next gig when he's about to get in trouble - see UMass and Memphis. However with all the rule changes, who knows what'll happen
These users thanked the author thrashsoundly for the post:
SLB

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 7th, 2024, 11:11 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
So does this mean:
4) something else?
That’s a great question. USC landing Musselman is confusing. It’s clearly a down step. There very well could have been displeasure. Although, I understand choosing LA over Arkansas. But then Arkansas lands Calipari?

Arkansas has some of the wealthiest boosters between the Waltons, Tyson & Jerry. With the changing nature of money in college sports well beyond the hidden economy that once existed, is Arkansas going to be one of the premier college athletics programs?

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2024, 11:30 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 11:09 pm
Cal moves on to the next gig when he's about to get in trouble - see UMass and Memphis. However with all the rule changes, who knows what'll happen
Kentucky was on the verge of being that sinking ship. Since the whole transfer portal and NIL went into effect, Kentucky has been some NCAA tournament team without anything else. They have no SEC titles or big NCAA tournament runs. In the last 3 seasons, they have been beaten by 2 AQ mid-majors and a round of 32 team.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 8th, 2024, 12:03 am

The overlook part of the story is the fact that Cal got the #2 ranked recruiting class, so the recruiting class are going to part of the big money schools' moves. The whole Cal going to Arkansas is definitely a game changer for everyone.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2024, 5:10 am

Wait for the very end of this. Tell me this guy isn’t perfect for Provo

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2024, 5:13 am

Blue Sage wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 10:32 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:
So does this mean:
4) something else?
I heard they didn't like Muss. They were not happy with him this year. Arkansas has a lot more money than people realize. Walmart and Jerry Jones are some of the bigger doners according to a friend of mine who is a huge hogs doner himself. But that's all rumor just something I heard from him.
Yup just because you have lots of money doesn’t mean you want to spend millions.

My understanding from what I’ve read is they were willing to really pony up to get Calipari.

And really who likes muss?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 8th, 2024, 7:10 am

SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:57 pm
Cal is one of those coaches that are not doing as well due to NIL being legal. When it was 100% under the table, he dominated with the NBA players. Kentucky losing their coach will make the portal bigger which allows more players fall through the cracks. Unlikely that we get anyone from Kentucky, but I have to imagine that Calhoun knows some of the Kentucky players (maybe Calhoun will pursue someone that he likes at Kentucky).
He has the 2nd ranked recruiting class. Hes doing fine with NIL

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 8th, 2024, 7:21 am

All the money and players, yet he doesn't have the wins.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 8th, 2024, 7:24 am

Cal: "I know the champion will be decided tonight, but let's talk about me!"

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » April 8th, 2024, 7:45 am

Ha ha I know it won’t happen but I would laugh my (I can't express myself without swearing) off is sprinkle spurned Washington for Kentucky

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » April 8th, 2024, 7:56 am

SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:57 pm
He’s still had a top recruiting classes every year so I’m gonna disagree that NIL has anything to do with it. I think he’s probably gotten a little complacent and could use a change of scenery.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 8th, 2024, 8:06 am

Lot of talk that it isn't the NIL per se, but rather how he's spending it. He keeps throwing money at 5 star high school recruits while his peers are spending theirs on 22-24 old experienced players. It worked a few years ago, but now guys can stay in school and still make good coin.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » April 8th, 2024, 8:52 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:58 pm
Having been to Kentucky a couple times, I’m shocked the entire state was able to pool together enough money to pay him half that contract on an annual basis, let alone the buyout.
Fly into Lexington and as you land or take off look at all the horse farms. There is plenty of money there, but you are right, it seems to be concentrated in a small area as the rest of the state doesn't have much.

We have some employees from Kentucky and you nearly need a translator to understand what they are saying. One of them writes e-mails such that I have to read it out loud in a Kentucky accent to try and understand it.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 8th, 2024, 8:54 am

Coloraggie wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 8:52 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:58 pm
Fly into Lexington and as you land or take off look at all the horse farms. There is plenty of money there, but you are right, it seems to be concentrated in a small area as the rest of the state doesn't have much.

We have some employees from Kentucky and you nearly need a translator to understand what they are saying. One of them writes e-mails such that I have to read it out loud in a Kentucky accent to try and understand it.
They don't have to pay cal a buyout. We'll see if they pay a big buyout for someone like Nate oats. 18 million dollars to bama to get him.

bpd

Post by bpd » April 8th, 2024, 8:58 am

Trilly has a (I can't express myself without swearing) crazy story about how Mussleman got the USC job... it won't be surprising to anyone.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 8th, 2024, 9:35 am

bpd wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 8:58 am
Trilly has a (I can't express myself without swearing) crazy story about how Mussleman got the USC job... it won't be surprising to anyone.
Can you share?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic