Referees during the tournament

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Referees during the tournament

Post by tipitup » April 9th, 2024, 3:58 pm

I know we have whined and complained about the refereeing during the season. But it was really interesting to see how many referee's that reffed games at the Spectrum were reffing games during the tournament. in fact if i remember right there were at least two that reffed the final four games that came to logan. And one Jeff anderson, high knees ref, did the championship game!!! I sit close enough in the spectrum that that was pretty cool to see them.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Referees during the tournament

Post by ProvoAggie » April 9th, 2024, 4:06 pm

Jeffrey Anderson officiated our game in Logan against Air Force and was also in the National Championship game. He's also the #1 referee in the country according to KenPom. Neither of the other officials from the title game reffed any of our regular season games this year. Roger Ayers (#4 in KenPom) officiated our game against TCU though. The 3 officials for the National Championship game were ranked 1, 2, and 4 in KenPom. Our good friend David Hall is ranked 154.

Mike Reed is likely the other Final Four official you recognized. He officiated 4 of our games this year (Home vs Wyoming, @ Fresno, and 2 games in Grand Cayman).
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 4):
SLBReal Life Aggieaggies22treesap32

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » April 9th, 2024, 4:09 pm

Jeffrey was pretty funny when he officiated our game. he said he hasn't been out west much and the altitude was killing him. He said the first 10 min were a killer. then he settled in. he said he is going to do more west coast games next year. I did like his officiating.

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » April 9th, 2024, 4:48 pm

tipitup wrote:
April 9th, 2024, 4:09 pm
Jeffrey was pretty funny when he officiated our game. he said he hasn't been out west much and the altitude was killing him. He said the first 10 min were a killer. then he settled in. he said he is going to do more west coast games next year. I did like his officiating.
This subject is fascinating to me. Is there a ref that was worse than the rest or stood out for negative reasons? Feel free to not answer but I’m just curious.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 9th, 2024, 5:09 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2024, 4:06 pm
Jeffrey Anderson officiated our game in Logan against Air Force and was also in the National Championship game. He's also the #1 referee in the country according to KenPom. Neither of the other officials from the title game reffed any of our regular season games this year. Roger Ayers (#4 in KenPom) officiated our game against TCU though. The 3 officials for the National Championship game were ranked 1, 2, and 4 in KenPom. Our good friend David Hall is ranked 154.

Mike Reed is likely the other Final Four official you recognized. He officiated 4 of our games this year (Home vs Wyoming, @ Fresno, and 2 games in Grand Cayman).
This is a theme with games in Logan.
When the game is a slam dunk easy win, we usually get good refs.
When the game is a serious game, we get the bottom of barrel refs.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » April 9th, 2024, 6:36 pm

SLB wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2024, 4:06 pm

This is a theme with games in Logan.
When the game is a slam dunk easy win, we usually get good refs.
When the game is a serious game, we get the bottom of barrel refs.
Just so I’m clear, Aggies win big=good reffing. Aggies play in close games=bad reffing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
AGinNEIowa

GaryTakeTheWheel

Post by GaryTakeTheWheel » April 9th, 2024, 9:24 pm

Yes.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » April 9th, 2024, 11:19 pm

Where can one see these ref rankings you speak of?

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 9th, 2024, 11:30 pm

TrueAggieman wrote:Where can one see these ref rankings you speak of?
I believe it requires a subscription to KenPom. If you have one you can see it here:
https://kenpom.com/officials.php

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
aggies22

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 10th, 2024, 9:45 am

I felt like our game against TCU was our best officiated game of the year. And I'm not saying that because we won. I like that they just let them play, but weren't ignoring "real" fouls.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
SLBSection_L_Aggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

SLB

Post by SLB » April 10th, 2024, 10:03 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 9:45 am
I felt like our game against TCU was our best officiated game of the year. And I'm not saying that because we won. I like that they just let them play, but weren't ignoring "real" fouls.
This is why Johnson was on a roll. Usually, refs hit Johnson with some BS foul(s) early in the game then Johnson gets taken out of the game then it repeats itself in the 2nd half.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
Section_L_Aggie3rdGenAggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic