No News is Good News?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Dkdavis

Re: No News is Good News?

Post by Dkdavis » April 10th, 2024, 8:14 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 3:02 pm
Hearsay but we'll see:

Aren’t they still in school? Shouldn’t all of them still be at usu even if they are leaving?

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 10th, 2024, 11:42 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 11:17 am
aggies22 wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 11:04 am
TrueAG wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 10:53 am
Really interesting if Sprinkle takes no one with him.
The only way anyone goes with him is if Darius Brown gets that RUMORED extra season of eligibility.
Man, that says another about the relationship he has with his players. Smith brought players with him from South Dakota(maybe just recruits but that was a different time) at to Utah, odom brought players from UMBC and to VCU. In football GA brought players to Wisconsin, and from Oregon State and Utah. Wells took players to Texas Tech. BA brought players from Arkansas State. Every coach brings players now...

What is going on with Sprinkle? Starting to wonder if we would have seen more guys hit the portal if he stuck around than with him leaving.
Since football has already gotten brought into this, I'll add that someone else, like I did, noticed the first red flag with Joe Cauthen was that he was NOT popular enough for any of the players who knew him from Stephen F. Austin, Buffalo, or Houston to want to come here. Whereas it's already a good sign that Nate Dreiling was liked enough for a few New Mexico State players to want to follow him here and Banda was liked enough for Miami players(even if only ones that wouldn't get as much PT at Miami) to want to follow him here.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
LarryTheAggie

AgsRock
Has thanked: 0

Post by AgsRock » April 11th, 2024, 12:56 am

I'm honestly confused, is Ian Martinez coming back?
These users thanked the author AgsRock for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleAggie in Boise

GaryTakeTheWheel

Post by GaryTakeTheWheel » April 11th, 2024, 11:24 am

AgsRock wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 12:56 am
I'm honestly confused, is Ian Martinez coming back?
Probably.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 14th, 2024, 2:13 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 3:08 pm
Pacobag wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 1:12 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 12:37 pm
andytheaggie wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 12:32 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
The only way anyone goes with him is if Darius Brown gets that RUMORED extra season of eligibility.
How would Darius get another year of eligibility, what’s the pitch? He’s used his Covid year, and Med Red Shirt year and played 4 other years. He’s done. How do they think he has another year?
Maybe he threatens to take them to court and the NCAA folds? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And that’s honestly not out of the question. And at that point, college sports or over. And frankly there is probably a way to challenge that in
Court. @StanfordAggie is a lot smarter than me, and he probably knows the law better than I do. But if the free transfer thing stuck. The NCaA clearly has no power. Then who is to say the NCAA can limit How many years you can play?

If the powers that be aren’t careful this is the end game and if that happens college sports are over.
Would it end college football/basketball or just morph into an unofficial minor pro league that would still utilize the name and facilities of the local university in an attempt to retain as much fan interest as possible.
I don’t think anyone is lining up to watch dudes play college sports for 10 years just because they play for the team my favorite school sponsors.
Maybe, but what if Jaycee Carroll, Spencer Nelson, Nate Harris, Tai Wesley, etc. had decided to stay and play for NIL money at USU for 10 years, would you have preferred that over the Morgan Grim and Preston Medlin years? What if the rule became a player must be enrolled as a full-time student or have a degree from USU? Some fans would potentially connect more with watching Aggie greats play at USU into their 30’s than watching a bunch of transfers that only play at USU for a single season.

I’m not saying it would be ideal, but if NIL will “ruin” college sports as some are suggesting, perhaps it would be a better alternative. More athletes would lose though as less athletes would get an opportunity to play.
Last edited by Pacobag on April 14th, 2024, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 14th, 2024, 2:21 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 2:13 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
andytheaggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
How would Darius get another year of eligibility, what’s the pitch? He’s used his Covid year, and Med Red Shirt year and played 4 other years. He’s done. How do they think he has another year?

And that’s honestly not out of the question. And at that point, college sports or over. And frankly there is probably a way to challenge that in
Court. @StanfordAggie is a lot smarter than me, and he probably knows the law better than I do. But if the free transfer thing stuck. The NCaA clearly has no power. Then who is to say the NCAA can limit How many years you can play?

If the powers that be aren’t careful this is the end game and if that happens college sports are over.
Would it end college football/basketball or just morph into an unofficial minor pro league that would still utilize the name and facilities of the local university in an attempt to retain as much fan interest as possible.
I don’t think anyone is lining up to watch dudes play college sports for 10 years just because they play for the team my favorite school sponsors.
Maybe, but what if Jaycee Carroll, Spencer Nelson, Nate Harris, Tai Wesley, etc. had decided to stay and play for NIL money at USU for 10 years, would you have preferred that over the Morgan Grim and Preston Medlin years? What if the rule became a player must be enrolled as a full-time student or have a degree from USU? Some fans would potentially connect more with watching Aggie greats play at USU into their 30’s than watching a bunch of transfers that only play at USU for a single season.
No thanks, that is what made college fun. Guys come in, hopefully progress and then you see them move on with their lives. Not interested in watching 30 year olds play mid ball.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 14th, 2024, 2:29 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 2:21 pm
Pacobag wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
andytheaggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

No thanks, that is what made college fun. Guys come in, hopefully progress and then you see them move on with their lives. Not interested in watching 30 year olds play mid ball.
Would you lose interest if Darius Brown was allowed to play one more season at USU? What about 2 more seasons? 3?

Some are saying they are only cheering for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back. So why does age matter?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 14th, 2024, 2:43 pm

No news is overall bad news, at least when it comes to our staff’s ability to recruit. First, if the staff doesn’t know for sure who is coming back, they don’t know what holes need to be filled. Second, it probably makes it harder to recruit for the one known hole, because the new PG is probably pretty curious about if they’ll be playing with a supporting cast of Great, Ian, and/or Josh.

I hope they take the time they need within reason to make the right decision for them, but it’d be nice if they could let the staff know ASAP what they are doing.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 5):
ereksonaggie95Aggie84025utaggiesvegasaggiePIGSKINAGGIE

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 14th, 2024, 2:53 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 2:29 pm
TrueAG wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
andytheaggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

Would you lose interest if Darius Brown was allowed to play one more season at USU? What about 2 more seasons? 3?

Some are saying they are only cheering for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back. So why does age matter?
Sounds like a blast re recruiting guys every year for 10 years. Guys playing for 6-7 universities. Pretending they have anything to do with the University.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 14th, 2024, 3:07 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 2:43 pm
No news is overall bad news, at least when it comes to our staff’s ability to recruit. First, if the staff doesn’t know for sure who is coming back, they don’t know what holes need to be filled. Second, it probably makes it harder to recruit for the one known hole, because the new PG is probably pretty curious about if they’ll be playing with a supporting cast of Great, Ian, and/or Josh.

I hope they take the time they need within reason to make the right decision for them, but it’d be nice if they could let the staff know ASAP what they are doing.
Seems like players are not in a rush to commit. I'm guessing things will start picking up at the end of the month. Maybe after the portal closes. There just aren't that many commitments right now.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 14th, 2024, 3:15 pm

TrueAG wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
andytheaggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

Same. If there was a market for watching former usu players in their late 20s to 30s play basketball, the Sports Academy League would have been better attended back in my college days

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic