Brooks' contract

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Brooks' contract

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 15th, 2024, 3:52 pm

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Re: Brooks' contract

Post by trevordude » April 15th, 2024, 3:54 pm

Good for Brooks. I guess it's fair to expect some solid results

Not sent from Tapatalk

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » April 15th, 2024, 4:43 pm

Athletics just announced two asst’s as well. Someone on another thread mentioned there were two portal recruits in town over the weekend, and one committed, but I haven’t seen any other news about that yet.

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 15th, 2024, 4:59 pm

That is quite a lot of money for an unproven head coach. I'm thrilled that USU is finally willing to invest and build that program, and I think this was a good hire and good move. Which is good, because it sure seems like he'll be here five years no matter what.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » April 15th, 2024, 5:47 pm

I hope some of his incentives show how we're trying to turn around the program, not just ones that every coach gets. Like finishing the season at or above .500 or winning a conference tournament game.

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » April 16th, 2024, 10:43 pm

How does that compare to Kayla's? Did we find more money?

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » April 17th, 2024, 11:18 am

One of my really good friends from HS's daughter (finishing junior year at Skyline in Idaho) has already been offered by Brooks (within 7 days of being hired). So, it sounds like he is getting a pulse on the local talent as fast as humanly possible.

She also has offers from BSU, Fresno, NAU, Montana State, UVU, SUU, Abilene Christian, Hawaii, Eastern Washington, and maybe one other. I think she also had an official visit at Columbia a couple of weeks ago, so may be starting to get bigger offers than local D1 programs.

Hopefully he can cobble a team together that will be competitive in the MWC next year. Given how bad this year was, I'm not sure anyone is (or should be) expecting the kind of championship-caliber team that Sprinkle was able to muster in a single season. But the hope is that we see significant progress in the first year.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 2):
trevordudegreggers1868

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » April 17th, 2024, 12:13 pm

jpswensen wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 11:18 am
One of my really good friends from HS's daughter (finishing junior year at Skyline in Idaho) has already been offered by Brooks (within 7 days of being hired). So, it sounds like he is getting a pulse on the local talent as fast as humanly possible.

She also has offers from BSU, Fresno, NAU, Montana State, UVU, SUU, Abilene Christian, Hawaii, Eastern Washington, and maybe one other. I think she also had an official visit at Columbia a couple of weeks ago, so may be starting to get bigger offers than local D1 programs.

Hopefully he can cobble a team together that will be competitive in the MWC next year. Given how bad this year was, I'm not sure anyone is (or should be) expecting the kind of championship-caliber team that Sprinkle was able to muster in a single season. But the hope is that we see significant progress in the first year.
That’s got to be Shay Shippen, correct? Both her and her coach followed me on Twitter, for some reason, so hopefully that’s a good sign!
As far as mtn west competitiveness, it’s amazing how top heavy womens hoops is. Unlv went like 30-2 this season, but only got a 10 seed and got dominated right out of the tourney. But building a competitive conference team quickly, especially in the portal era, is completely doable imo.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » April 17th, 2024, 12:16 pm

greggers1868 wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 12:13 pm
That’s got to be Shay Shippen, correct?
Yep.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
greggers1868

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 17th, 2024, 12:28 pm

greggers1868 wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 12:13 pm
jpswensen wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 11:18 am

That’s got to be Shay Shippen, correct? Both her and her coach followed me on Twitter, for some reason, so hopefully that’s a good sign!
As far as mtn west competitiveness, it’s amazing how top heavy womens hoops is. Unlv went like 30-2 this season, but only got a 10 seed and got dominated right out of the tourney. But building a competitive conference team quickly, especially in the portal era, is completely doable imo.
I was about to make this exact point. The Mountain West really isn't a great women's hoops league (partially because the sport is currently so top heavy) so a good coach and a few good players can flip things QUICKLY. I don't expect that USU will be competing for a conference title this year, but I do think it's realistic to expect we're competing with the top teams within 2-3.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
greggers1868

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic