ISU Free Throw Front Page Story On Yahoo

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ChicAggie

ISU Free Throw Front Page Story On Yahoo

Post by ChicAggie » December 23rd, 2010, 2:50 pm

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aab-299889
Idaho State player's foul shot gets stuck on front rim

By Jeff Eisenberg

Of all the crazy bounces we've seen in basketball in recent years, few have been more bizarre than a free throw Idaho State's Kamil Gawrzydek attempted late in the second half of Tuesday night's 71-48 loss at Utah State.

Gawrzydek's first foul shot bounces high off the back rim, deadens on the front rim and remains stationary there for almost two seconds before finally falling through the hoop to the disbelief of everyone in attendance. It hung on the front rim long enough that a Utah State player underneath the hoop actually had time to wave his arms in an effort to generate a strong enough breeze to blow the ball out of the cylinder.

To get a better idea of what could have caused the ball to freeze on the front rim like somebody paused their DVR, I sent the YouTube clip to John Fontanella, a physics professor at the U.S. Naval Academy and author of the book "The Physics of Basketball."

Fontanella, a former NAIA All-American in the 1960s, compared it to a player possessing the ability to balance the ball on his index finger without spinning it first. He suggested a sticky substance on the ball or an air conditioning vent blowing straight down on the rim could have contributed, but noted that it's theoretically possible for the ball to remain stuck on the front rim interminably.

"There's absolutely no reason the ball couldn't actually do that if all the conditions were right because you have two round surfaces," Fontanella said. "As long as the middle of the ball is directly above the middle of the rim, theoretically it can stay there as long as it likes until it's disturbed by something. Maybe the conditions were just right."

It's difficult for Fontanella to quantify how unlikely it is for a basketball to balance on the front rim for that long, but he said he's only seen anything like it a couple times before at most.

"A chance in a million, I guess," Fontanella said. "It's like it rolled up to the top of a hill and just sat there. Eventually there was just enough of a disturbance, somebody stomped on the floor or a fan did something to shake it off the top."

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Aglicious
Site Admin

Re: ISU Free Throw Front Page Story On Yahoo

Post by Aglicious » December 23rd, 2010, 3:34 pm

I just happened across the front page of Yahoo before checking in here and I couldn't believe that was the front page story!!

Sweet!! :cool2:

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » December 23rd, 2010, 3:57 pm

Also made it to the Lakers board --

http://thelakersnation.com/forums/index ... n-the-rim/

To bad it's an empty crowd there.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 23rd, 2010, 4:39 pm

Aglicious wrote:I just happened across the front page of Yahoo before checking in here and I couldn't believe that was the front page story!!

Sweet!! :cool2:
Thank goodness for the man who uploaded this! :)

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 23rd, 2010, 5:37 pm

awesome. I emailed him the link

Jayzep

Aggies make yahoo front page

Post by Jayzep » December 24th, 2010, 1:01 am

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 24th, 2010, 1:28 am

there are 977 comments as of now. that is a lot!

SuperiorBlueDiver
Has thanked: 0

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » December 24th, 2010, 2:37 am

This video now has 2,415,126 views on youtube. Talk about publicity. Almost 2.5 million views.

aggiejump
Been thanked: 0

Lead on Yahoo headlines

Post by aggiejump » December 24th, 2010, 10:07 am

The USU vs ISU game with the free throw getting stuck on the front of the rim is leading on the Yahoo website with a video clip and Al doing play by play and Wild Bill part of the action.

http://www.yahoo.com/

If it is not the lead image they always change you can use the arrow controls in the lower corners of the image to scroll and find it

or

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aab-299889

Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, verses 9-21
...And Saint Attila raised the holy hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin...

freakboy

Re: Lead on Yahoo headlines

Post by freakboy » December 24th, 2010, 11:13 am

That's awesome. Well done, Aglicious!

freakboy

Re: Lead on Yahoo headlines

Post by freakboy » December 24th, 2010, 11:14 am

Wow, the youtube video has 4 million views! Aglicious, do you get to share some of the ad revenues?

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 24th, 2010, 11:46 am

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:This video now has 2,415,126 views on youtube. Talk about publicity. Almost 2.5 million views.

it is almost 4 million now. so that means 1.5 million views in 9 hours.

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » December 24th, 2010, 11:55 am

This video has gave USU more publicity than anything has in a LONG time. Almost every message board around has posted it..

JasonJensen

Post by JasonJensen » December 24th, 2010, 12:22 pm

That is awesome. It shows the power of the internet. You need to either stick a link in the bottom or take part in Youtube's revenue sharing program. Then again, I don't think you can "legally" make money because the video isn't something you filmed yourself. Nevertheless, great work!! Barnes should get in contact with you and have you put a link to the bookstore or something for that matter.

Btw, has this been anywhere on any of the sports shows in Utah? Not that it matters with 4,000,000 views.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 24th, 2010, 12:37 pm

Aglicious, you should link this site to it and get it a little publicity.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

freakboy

Post by freakboy » December 24th, 2010, 2:08 pm

JasonJensen wrote:That is awesome. It shows the power of the internet. You need to either stick a link in the bottom or take part in Youtube's revenue sharing program. Then again, I don't think you can "legally" make money because the video isn't something you filmed yourself. Nevertheless, great work!! Barnes should get in contact with you and have you put a link to the bookstore or something for that matter.

Btw, has this been anywhere on any of the sports shows in Utah? Not that it matters with 4,000,000 views.
I expect not. As usual, the national media gives more press to USU than the local media.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » December 24th, 2010, 7:33 pm

I was at dinner last night with a buddy and his wife, and my friend brought up this "amazing" free throw, completely forgetting that I went to USU. He's a huge sports fan, and I found it amusing that this random guy in Chicago was talking about it. It has definitely gone viral.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 25th, 2010, 5:20 am

Will this help our chances for getting in MWC?

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 25th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Holy mother! This thing is out of control. 6.6M views now and 1,170 comments in 2.5 days basically.

You do NOT want to know what my email account looks like just from this. :shock:

I have about 20 "business deal" offers. At least 5 offers to buy my YouTube account (for what purpose I have no clue).I have requests from several media outlets, including ESPN, to obtain the footage.. LMAO. I've had requests like this before but not in this abundance.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » December 25th, 2010, 2:19 pm

Aglicious wrote:Holy mother! This thing is out of control. 6.6M views now and 1,170 comments in 2.5 days basically.

You do NOT want to know what my email account looks like just from this. :shock:

I have about 20 "business deal" offers. At least 5 offers to buy my YouTube account (for what purpose I have no clue).I have requests from several media outlets, including ESPN, to obtain the footage.. LMAO. I've had requests like this before but not in this abundance.
Absolute insanity! On the evening of the 23rd, I told Dogie and Silentmaster at our family Christmas party about how this clip was getting a lot of views on YouTube, and at that point I think there had been about 14,000 views. To think that it has gone from that to now nearly 7 million views basically in the span of about 36 hours, is incredible. I was surprised that it had garnered thousands of views as of two days ago, never thinking it could reach millions of views, let alone so quickly. Crazy stuff.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

freakboy

Post by freakboy » December 26th, 2010, 10:33 am

The video is featured on the front page of Youtube.com! It's on the right side at the top of the Trending section!

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 27th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Aglicious wrote:Holy mother! This thing is out of control. 6.6M views now and 1,170 comments in 2.5 days basically.

Mother Gossner probably should be sending you a check too -- Gossner Foods has gotten 15 million views of the logo that's featured in the replay graphic.

Nobody here knows anything.

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » December 27th, 2010, 4:01 pm

The video is now number two of most views this week on YouTube of all videos on YouTube! Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/charts/videos_views?t=w

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » December 27th, 2010, 4:28 pm

It's now on MSN - but the poster is JOKEROOO

Licious - you have been robbed of your content.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

freakboy

Post by freakboy » December 27th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:It's now on MSN - but the poster is JOKEROOO

Licious - you have been robbed of your content.
We should flag that one as inappropriate.

UtahState

Post by UtahState » December 28th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Still going strong - 8,125,543 hits!

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » December 28th, 2010, 6:47 pm

The Gossner logo shows up 3 times if you watch the whole thing ... that's approaching 25 million views of their logo online (if people watch the whole thing.) That is more views than a Cache Valley business usually would have over a 25 year period. I don't know if it's turning into any revenue, but Gossners ought to send the kid a cheese gift basket ... after his eligibility runs out of course. :)

Locked Previous topicNext topic