Rahe vs. Verlin

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
WasatchAggie

Rahe vs. Verlin

Post by WasatchAggie » January 16th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Who would you pick and why? In looking at Stew's win/loss record and and Rahe's and Verlins, I think it is fair to state that he has gotten better at USU and it is easier to win at USU than other schools. With that in mind, I'm not sure it is fair to compare Verlin and Rahe's repective win/loss records to each other. In any event, when Stew does leave, would we really want Verlin or Rahe or is there someone out there who is even better? If so, who and why?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Rahe vs. Verlin

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 16th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Rahe, the guy can recruit and has some good juco connections. Lillard, Rock, Brown...nuff said. I think his personality works better with the kids these days.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » January 16th, 2011, 4:50 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Rahe, the guy can recruit and has some good juco connections. Lillard, Rock, Brown...nuff said. I think his personality works better with the kids these days.
Good points on the recruiting. I have no knowledge on the ability to coach kids these days so I will go with your insight.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 16th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Rahe just seems more like a rah rah guy, who is a smooth talker, and relates to his players. Not that Verlin can't, and maybe it's just his mustache talkin' but I just see Rahe as having more success on the recruiting trail.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 16th, 2011, 5:01 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Rahe just seems more like a rah rah guy, who is a smooth talker, and relates to his players. Not that Verlin can't, and maybe it's just his mustache talkin' but I just see Rahe as having more success on the recruiting trail.
Don't forget Verlin busted out the Super Bowl Hat after winning at Utah the other year. That was epic. :devil:

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » January 16th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Rahe hands down

It took us years to recover after he left as far as recruiting goes.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 16th, 2011, 5:09 pm

That's true sap! Verlin does have a great sense of humor.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » January 16th, 2011, 8:33 pm

I would choose Randy Rahe, he loves Logan still, loves the spectrum. At least he told me that when Weber played at SUU, when I talked to him this year!

GUS

Post by GUS » January 16th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Verlin's teams appear to run the Stew Morrill offense better. Except for Lillard, I think Verlin has recruited the better athletes since he has been a head coach. I'm not convinced that either one can be as successful as Stew, but it is still early in their careers.

aggieblue11

Post by aggieblue11 » January 16th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Verlin does have that sweet moustache!

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » January 16th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Does it matter to anyone that Verlin has coached at a higher level (WAC vs. Big Sky?)

I am partial to Rahe, but if Verlin brings the super bowl hat, he is welcome in my book.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 17th, 2011, 10:17 am

Hypothetically, of course....I would probably pick Rahe at this point, though Verlin wouldn't be a bad choice. I don't think I would automatically hand the job to Rahe, though. I feel like our program has progressed to the point that we might be able to attract some decent coaching talent in a nationwide search.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

rockandrolle

Post by rockandrolle » January 17th, 2011, 1:03 pm

I like Verlin so I want to say he is the better coach but the truth is Rahe is a great coach and has the upper hand on Verlin.

ustateags05
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ustateags05 » January 17th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Verlin has been quite successful at Idaho. That says a lot. He has turned a terrible program around and been competitive. I like Randy Rahe, but just don't see him doing the job. You all need to remember that Verlin has been the recruiter on some of our best JC players. He has some of the best JC connections out west. I obviously would choose Coach V because he has proven himself in the WAC at an absolute doormat. He would also jump at the chance to come back to Logan.

USUinventedswagger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by USUinventedswagger » January 20th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Randy Rahe in a heartbeat.

He has done an excellent job at Weber State. They were terrible the 3 years before he got there. He hasn't had a losing season and has won 20 games 3 times. They have the best record in the Big Sky over his time there.

His only knock is he hasn't beat byu yet, but byu has been a tournament team every year that he has been the Weber coach, so it isn't like he is going up against a bad byu team. They almost beat byu this year without Lillard. Rahe can flat out coach. He gets the most out of his players.

The limitation of tyrants is the endurance of those they oppose. – Frederick Douglass

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » January 20th, 2011, 4:04 pm

I say Rahe as well - I'm impressed with the talent level he can recruit into the Big Sky. Plus he's not afraid to play some big teams on the road. Not to mention you have to love a guy that can coach on the college level and is barely pushing 5' (he can always throw on a Lee Press-on Stash if its required).

Quelch

Post by Quelch » January 20th, 2011, 10:54 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:Who would you pick and why? In looking at Stew's win/loss record and and Rahe's and Verlins, I think it is fair to state that he has gotten better at USU and it is easier to win at USU than other schools. With that in mind, I'm not sure it is fair to compare Verlin and Rahe's repective win/loss records to each other. In any event, when Stew does leave, would we really want Verlin or Rahe or is there someone out there who is even better? If so, who and why?
I put your poll up. I am also curious to see its results.

Locked Previous topicNext topic