Does this sound right??

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
JonnyCienPesos

Does this sound right??

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 11th, 2011, 5:10 pm

I pulled this off the MWC board (someone there pulled it off of the SJSU board), it apparently comes from SJSU's AD. I don't know how reliable it is, but it seems to make some sense based on what we were being told over here re the MWC invite.

"(1) Nothing really new on the conference re-alignment front. TB did make note of the fact that BOTH Texas State and UTSA have TONS of money to throw at their athletic programs (unlike SJSU)! Also, brought up the fact that Dennis Franchione is now the HC at one of those schools (I'll have to look up which one!)

Additionally, TB made the statement that SJSU had made a STRONG effort to make its case for joining the MWC (when that discussion was undertaken by the MWC several months ago). A 6-1 vote by the seven MWC presidents to expand to 12 teams (USU and SJSU to be added) on the first day of the MWC meetings was derailed at a dinner meeting that night.....when Boise State president, Bob Kustra, convinced the other six presidents NOT to expand to 12 teams! And, this despite the fact that COMCAST had offered (an additional) $5 million to the MWC for a 12-team, 2-division league set-up (with a conference TITLE game).....this points out that COMCAST does have a very positive, monetary value when it comes to SJSU and its media-market locale!

TB made the comments, then, that we were READY to go to the MWC back several months ago.....and that we MUST, again, be ready to answer that "invite" when it comes to us in the future! That is to say, that we must ramp-up our South Campus improvements (North End-Zone Project, Fieldhouse building, Scoreboard/JumboTron, etc. to show the MWC that we are "serious" about our Football/athletic program! This last statement by TB was a VERY important one to me!"

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Does this sound right??

Post by brownjeans » April 11th, 2011, 5:26 pm

San Jose has tuberculosis? That can't be good.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 11th, 2011, 6:09 pm

Yes, TB is like the pink eye of the lungs. I'm pretty sure Dr. Chris Hill would agree.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 11th, 2011, 6:27 pm

This follows very closely what I have heard from other sources.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 11th, 2011, 6:32 pm

If its true, is Boise ever going to let us in? They gave up the 5 mil just to big boy us.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 11th, 2011, 6:47 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:If its true, is Boise ever going to let us in? They gave up the 5 mil just to big boy us.
I don't think it was about us.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 11th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh, ve-ry in-teresting. ;)

C-state
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by C-state » April 12th, 2011, 1:08 am

Expansion seemed like a real possibility when the scenario involved UTEP and USU. Once SJSU(instead of UTEP) came into the picture things just started to fade off. My guess is that UTEP (and Houston) unofficially said "thanks, but no thanks" to the MWC, and then the MWC Presidents had second thoughts on SJSU.

For the sake of conversation, how do people around here feel about the 12th MWC candidate for expansion- assuming USU is #11. I like the Spartans but I think they lack in to many areas at the moment. Maybe adding both USU and the University of North Texas to the MWC could make a decent East division with AFA, CSU, UNM, UWY? I doubt any C-USA, Big 6 teams, or BYU will want into the MWC, so WAC or SBC schools are probably the only viable candidates. However, a 12 team conference seems like it would be the most beneficial for stability purposes in the future.

Servo

Post by Servo » April 12th, 2011, 3:30 am

[youtube][/youtube]

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

renolutionary

Post by renolutionary » April 12th, 2011, 6:49 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote: "(1) Nothing really new on the conference re-alignment front. TB did make note of the fact that BOTH Texas State and UTSA have TONS of money to throw at their athletic programs (unlike SJSU)! Also, brought up the fact that Dennis Franchione is now the HC at one of those schools (I'll have to look up which one!)
He's the head coach for Tex. St. Larry Coker is the HC for UTSA as well.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » April 12th, 2011, 7:30 am

Sounds about right for USU. Even when we get enough votes we can't get in.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

blabbermouth

Post by blabbermouth » April 12th, 2011, 9:21 am

yes that is how it went down. Now get this: Air Force stuck with us, the rest listened to Kustra, so ultimately it was 1-6.

AttackPunt

Post by AttackPunt » April 12th, 2011, 10:46 am

What was Boise's sales pitch/benefits on staying at 10 members?

It seems like the 2 divisions would have cut down on travel costs, and if Comcast was going to throw in an extra 5 million, so I don't get the compeling argument on staying at 10.

Formerly known as AggieMcFly

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 12th, 2011, 11:03 am

I think Boise wants to avoid a championship game. Fact is Boise had a pretty good thing going in the WAC where they had a good chance of getting into the BCS about every other year. With BYU, TCU and Utah leaving the MWC the MWC is the WAC with a slightly stronger group of challengers.

Every tough challenge that Boise has is one more chance of losing and not getting into the BCS. The championship game could blow the BCS possibility for the MWC. Bottom line, Boise wants to avoid the championship game to limit risk so they can pocket BCS money.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 12th, 2011, 11:06 am

brownjeans wrote:I think Boise wants to avoid a championship game. Fact is Boise had a pretty good thing going in the WAC where they had a good chance of getting into the BCS about every other year. With BYU, TCU and Utah leaving the MWC the MWC is the WAC with a slightly stronger group of challengers.

Every tough challenge that Boise has is one more chance of losing and not getting into the BCS. The championship game could blow the BCS possibility for the MWC. Bottom line, Boise wants to avoid the championship game to limit risk so they can pocket BCS money.
They also want to stay in a Pacific oriented division. SJSU would jeopardize that.

I'm not one to predict the future, but the conference landscape is shifting and talks have continued since "the snub." USU is trying to advance its cause, even with some bumps on the way.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » April 12th, 2011, 11:22 am

Boise probably told them we'll get you 8.5mill every year (BCS game) if you turn down the 5mill championship game. The quicker Boise loses each year, the better position we're in. If they're not making BCS games then they lose their leverage.

Regarding divisions:

Pacific (locks)

SJSU
SDSU
Fresno St.
Hawaii

2 more out of UNLV, Boise, and Nevada. So one of those three teams would be getting thrown in the Mountain division with USU, CSU, Air Force, Wyoming and New Mexico.

I honestly think the main objection is not Utah State, but rather SJSU (sorry Spartan fans). If we were able to package ourselves with a better team they may be interested. I wonder if they're exploring options like Montana, UTSA, and every C-USA team.

C-state

Post by C-state » April 12th, 2011, 11:25 am

brownjeans wrote:I think Boise wants to avoid a championship game. Fact is Boise had a pretty good thing going in the WAC where they had a good chance of getting into the BCS about every other year. With BYU, TCU and Utah leaving the MWC the MWC is the WAC with a slightly stronger group of challengers.

Going to a BCS game is nice and all, but it can very well be a financial mistake if your fans become apathetic if you keep missing out on the title game. UConn lost close to $2 million by playing in the Fiesta Bowl last year because none of their fans cared to attend. BSU has lucked out that their fans have been excited to go to the FB the last few times but things could change.

A MWC title game could propel a team like BSU into the BCS Championship game. It's an unlikely scenario but much more possible than without the MWC-CG. For example, If BSU is sitting at 12-0 or 11-1 with a #5 or lower ranking, and they beat a ranked AFA in the title game than the computers could potentially put them in the MNC.

C-state

Post by C-state » April 12th, 2011, 11:33 am

UtahStizzle wrote:Boise probably told them we'll get you 8.5mill every year (BCS game) if you turn down the 5mill championship game. The quicker Boise loses each year, the better position we're in. If they're not making BCS games then they lose their leverage.

Regarding divisions:

Pacific (locks)

SJSU
SDSU
Fresno St.
Hawaii

2 more out of UNLV, Boise, and Nevada. So one of those three teams would be getting thrown in the Mountain division with USU, CSU, Air Force, Wyoming and New Mexico.

I honestly think the main objection is not Utah State, but rather SJSU (sorry Spartan fans). If we were able to package ourselves with a better team they may be interested. I wonder if they're exploring options like Montana, UTSA, and every C-USA team.
Agreed completely. However, I think the MWC is too proud to take an FCS team like UTSA or UMT. Plus, Montana has already said they aren't moving up due to lack of funds. UNT on the other hand is already an FBS team and would be willing to jump ship on the SBC. The MWC would also get SLC and the Metroplex back in the fold (UNT for TCU, USU for UU). Obviously we wouldn't own those markets anymore but our presence would be felt. Comcast would be happy. BSU would be happy about staying with the Pacific division. The mountain teams could recruit Texas, west teams have California. Makes to much sense.

East: AFA, CSU, UWY, USU, UNT, UNM
West: UH, BSU, SDSU, FSU, UNR, UNLV

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » April 12th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Since the January rejection I hope Albrecht and Barnes have been trying to find a partner 12th team that could put something together with advertisers similar to what was reported that we did. NT, Montana, UTSA whoever can pull in enough $$ to overcome the objection. I think Montana would look at an offer from the MWC in a totally different light than one from a WAC on life support. The stability and revenue would be much better as well as the fan interest.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 12th, 2011, 1:07 pm

C-state wrote:

Going to a BCS game is nice and all, but it can very well be a financial mistake if your fans become apathetic if you keep missing out on the title game. UConn lost close to $2 million by playing in the Fiesta Bowl last year because none of their fans cared to attend. BSU has lucked out that their fans have been excited to go to the FB the last few times but things could change.

A MWC title game could propel a team like BSU into the BCS Championship game. It's an unlikely scenario but much more possible than without the MWC-CG. For example, If BSU is sitting at 12-0 or 11-1 with a #5 or lower ranking, and they beat a ranked AFA in the title game than the computers could potentially put them in the MNC.
Good point, but I wouldn't read too much into UConn's experience: A five-loss representative, not even in the top 25 of the BCS rankings, and from the undisputed worst conference in the BCS wasn't likely to have much fan enthusiasm in the first place.

Moreover, UConn really doesn't have a D-1 tradition at all -- they only came up to Division 1-A during the time we were an independent, as I recall. We beat them in Storrs in 2001 during our first year as an indy, and we were pretty bad.

Nobody here knows anything.

C-state

Post by C-state » April 12th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Point well taken regarding UConn. I was just using them as an example as to why the at-large BCS spots are slightly overrated. At some point the BSU/MWC fans may stop caring that they get to play in the Sugar Bowl or Fiesta Bowl once the novelty wears off, which will lead to that school losing money by playing in one of those games. I think there's a greater possibility that an MWC team like BSU could get bumped into the MNC game with the help of an MWC championship game.

It's also debatable as to whether a "1 loss" MWC team would have a better shot at the at-large spot by beating a ranked opponent in the MWC-CG on championship weekend. Overall, I would rather take the extra guaranteed $5 million for the championship game and let things sort themselves out later with the BCS.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » April 13th, 2011, 7:06 am

Well UTSA will be FBS next year (1.5 years). I think USU / UTSA could be a really nice move assuming no C-USA team is interested. They ooze with potential - the entire San Antonio market has no football team pro or college.

azaggie

Post by azaggie » April 13th, 2011, 10:45 am

UtahStizzle wrote:Well UTSA will be FBS next year (1.5 years). I think USU / UTSA could be a really nice move assuming no C-USA team is interested. They ooze with potential - the entire San Antonio market has no football team pro or college.
true, but there's a little school up the road in austin. still I agree that UTSA has potential.

wacfan08

Post by wacfan08 » April 13th, 2011, 11:21 am

azaggie wrote:
UtahStizzle wrote:Well UTSA will be FBS next year (1.5 years). I think USU / UTSA could be a really nice move assuming no C-USA team is interested. They ooze with potential - the entire San Antonio market has no football team pro or college.
true, but there's a little school up the road in austin. still I agree that UTSA has potential.

75 miles isn't very far... I wouldn't say its a "untapped" market by any means.

C-state

Post by C-state » April 13th, 2011, 11:58 am

I really hope UTSA doesn't ever get into the MWC... at least while CSU is still in the conference. It is unprecedented for an upstart program to move to a non-BCS conference and do well within their first few decades. USF and UConn are poor examples because they have BCS money to work with (i.e. $5 million payouts), as well as the BCS conference recruiting advantages over non-BCS. I expect UTSA to be terrible for awhile and once the novelty of having a football program wears off than I think their fans will stop showing up to their off campus stadium. It's hard enough to start a new football program in the new competitive FBS world, but when you are expected to be receiving only $100k from your individual TV contract payout, life will be tough. Travel to places like Moscow, SJ, and Logan for olympic sports will cost more than they will receive from their conference payout.

As a CSU/MWC fan here are the schools I would want to join the MWC in order: 1. USU 2. Houston 3. UTEP 4. Montana 5. SMU 6. UNT 7. Tulsa 8. SJSU 9. BYU return 10. UC-Davis 11. Idaho 12. NMSU 13. Maybe UTSA but I hope it wouldn't get this far

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » April 13th, 2011, 2:42 pm

i thought that 6-1 vote was later determined to be just another message board rumor that grew a set of legs.
my memory is the MWC quickly decided expansion wasn't in their best interests and moved on to other business.

regardless, there is absolutely no reason to believe the MWC is even considering expansion at this point. and i really hope a bunch a rumors don't get started only to be once again be crushed after the june deadling passes.

it's one thing to speculate about the various senarios that could result in an invite. it's another to get rumors going.
if we learned nothing else from the last go-around, we learned that no one has a source. not even the 'trusted two.'

it was embarassing to watch Aggies essentially move in to the MWC, posting on their board and telling them they're just going to have to deal with it. the final result being USU becoming a laughingstock and it's fan base regarded as a bunch of trolls. and it was all based on message board rumors. so many Aggies were certain it was a done deal. some still believe the only hang up was the 12th team. let's not forget the big time alums and all that cash they were going to throw at the MWC. it too was just more message board BS. please, let's not even approach what happened last time. it seems to me it all kind of started out like this and then snowballed.

now if the BE splits and the FB portion expands and some movement takes place in the MWC, then have at it. :lol:

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 13th, 2011, 3:18 pm

That's not the rumblings I'm hearing Steve..... ;)

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 13th, 2011, 3:28 pm

I'm hearing some rumblings as well. Of course, that may be my stomach talking.

Get me a towel.

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » April 13th, 2011, 3:39 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:That's not the rumblings I'm hearing Steve..... ;)
yer ded to me. :joking: :lol:

and so is your buddy with the towel.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 13th, 2011, 3:50 pm

the towel comes after the rumblings.

I'm sorry Sneelock! Sorry everybody, I couldn't help it.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 13th, 2011, 3:57 pm

hipster should know about that. He is my (I can't express myself without swearing).

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 13th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Yeah I am!...Wait, I'm not sure what word is being censored.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » April 13th, 2011, 4:59 pm

You're his manager.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » April 13th, 2011, 8:28 pm

I said you where my (I can't express myself without swearing)

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 13th, 2011, 8:55 pm

NVAggie, you're like the chick at the drivethru that keeps cutting out when she reads my order back to me.

Locked Previous topicNext topic