Is another NCAA football division needed?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
BobWilson

Is another NCAA football division needed?

Post by BobWilson » January 22nd, 2022, 10:36 am

There is talk of increasing the number of teams in the FBS championship playoffs from four to eight or more but why? It's likely that the champion would continue to come from but 2-3 conferences - perhaps just from the SEC! How about dividing the 130 FBS schools into two divisions - the big boys and the realistic boys? Each division could have a championship playoff. The division could be made on the basis, among other criteria, of how many state dollars are required to keep the program afloat. There is a myth that "goofball pays for all other sports and is a cash cow for universities." the truth is that only about 50 percent of football programs either break even or make money. The big obstacle in such a plan would be misplaced pride. "We've always been in the top football division." Says schools like USU and, "we are going to win the national championship someday." says schools like Boise state. When such schools get into the national championship game under the current system you can be sure the "second coming" is not far away.

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Is another NCAA football division needed?

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 22nd, 2022, 11:11 am

I don't think so. In college basketball there are realistically only a few conferences with teams that will win the NCAA tournament. But every once in a while a Gonzaga will appear, or a George Mason will make a run. A wider access playoff will turn college football into that same situation. So while we realistically might not be a national title contender, it's fun to have the chance, just like we do in basketball every year.

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » January 22nd, 2022, 11:55 am

Yes basketball is a bit different. One 16 seed has beaten a number one seed once, has we all know. And there are a few upsets each year e.g. USU's win over Ohio State 20 years ago. Basketball teams such as Gonzaga can more realistically make it to elite status than football teams such as the majority of FBS teams.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » January 22nd, 2022, 2:54 pm

Would Utah State's cash flow decrease? I like the idea of realistic competition, but I need a team to cheer for

Not sent from Tapatalk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 22nd, 2022, 4:26 pm

Sadly, I see a day when pretty much the top schools break off and form their own Athletic Association. SEC-AA is going to happen eventually, and we'll likely join the PAC-? when that happens.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » January 22nd, 2022, 6:52 pm

Yeah, substantial change will likely come from a few schools, not the NCAA which is pretty much a divided political organization like unto the U. S. Congress..

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 23rd, 2022, 4:54 pm

trevordude wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 2:54 pm
Would Utah State's cash flow decrease? I like the idea of realistic competition, but I need a team to cheer for
The best post of this thread, and is exactly my thoughts. I don't mind if USU is put into a group of five type subdivision, but if it's going to hurt the financial bottom line where we could risk losing the athletic department or losing a lot of sports then I'm not for it. I'd rather be in the big tent if the big tent is still to be had.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
trevordude

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 23rd, 2022, 8:48 pm

There is always talk about this, but have you noticed it never happens? Part of the reason is, someone always has to play the Washington Generals for the Harlem Globetrotters. By that I mean, someone always has to be a likely loser. Right now, it's the G5. Let's say the SEC expands to 24 teams and breaks off from the NCAA. Great. But that means that lower half SEC teams won't be able to pad their wins with out of conference games. Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, and South Carolina will become the cannon fodder for Alabama and Georgia, their own internal G5, if you will. And they know it. Which is why there is significant resistance even from within the P5 to breaking off.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Locked Previous topicNext topic