Jazz Rebrand

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
tysteve20

Jazz Rebrand

Post by tysteve20 » June 17th, 2022, 9:32 am

The jazz announced their rebrand this morning. Yellow Black white and purple alternates. I'm not a fan, looks like practice jerseys. they also shows a retro and refresh. Not sure when those will hit the court though if its this season or next.

From the press release
"The white and black uniforms symbolize the white and black keys on a piano, a significant element in the history of Jazz music. The yellow jersey represents the spotlight designated to the greatest performers in history, a nod to the fact that Utah embraces being in the spotlight with all eyes watching."

HERE ARE THE OFFICIAL RELEASES

The "refresh" I love this one. For 2023-24 season

The "retro" For 2023-24 season

The press release
https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/jazz-rela ... erchandise

And the release video
Last edited by tysteve20 on June 17th, 2022, 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author tysteve20 for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Re: Jazz Rebrand

Post by Aggie84025 » June 17th, 2022, 10:31 am

I am not a huge jazz fan but they look awful. I like the green uniforms.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 17th, 2022, 11:58 am

That's the worst shade of yellow they could have chosen.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » June 17th, 2022, 12:21 pm

I do like the purple. The black and yellow not so much.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 17th, 2022, 8:59 pm

I was just saying the other day, "man, I wish I could get my hands on some sportswear in bile yellow."

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » June 17th, 2022, 10:21 pm

The whole thing just seems off.. The J Note outside the arena is purple, the promo video lead with purple, the future jerseys for the next seasons are purple, the whole marketing campaign is “purple is back” and “purple is here to stay!” And then they kinda slide in the other three at the end of the video.. Haha oh man. Feels like a bit of a last second effort to rebrand the rebrand since none of the fans seem stoked about highlighter yellow. What a mess.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 18th, 2022, 9:27 am

Yeah like the purple ones. I always liked the Mountain Logo. The others I can take or leave.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » June 18th, 2022, 10:12 am

Think of the piles of money that go into these decisions

Not sent from Tapatalk

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » June 18th, 2022, 12:12 pm

trevordude wrote:
June 18th, 2022, 10:12 am
I don't think any money went into the decision. I think Ryan Smiths wife pulled out her cricut machine and made the uniforms by hand last Saturday afternoon. Some relief society sisters may have helped out.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Kevincurtisforlife

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 18th, 2022, 9:25 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
June 18th, 2022, 12:12 pm
trevordude wrote:
June 18th, 2022, 10:12 am
I don't think any money went into the decision. I think Ryan Smiths wife pulled out her cricut machine and made the uniforms by hand last Saturday afternoon. Some relief society sisters may have helped out.
Yep and the gift store will be giving the jerseys away to any kid who wants one.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 18th, 2022, 10:53 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
June 17th, 2022, 10:21 pm
The whole thing just seems off.. The J Note outside the arena is purple, the promo video lead with purple, the future jerseys for the next seasons are purple, the whole marketing campaign is “purple is back” and “purple is here to stay!” And then they kinda slide in the other three at the end of the video.. Haha oh man. Feels like a bit of a last second effort to rebrand the rebrand since none of the fans seem stoked about highlighter yellow. What a mess.
That's actually exactly what it is. This article explains it well: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2022 ... tah-jazzs/

When Smith obtained the team he decided to scrap all the colors of Jazz teams from the past and go all in on Black and White. He proposed the rebrand to the NBA who nixed it because the Brooklyn Nets and San Antonio Spurs already have that color scheme. So he added yellow to get it pushed through despite all the backlash from fans from day 1 of the rumors.

Last year the intros were in black and white, and the broadcasts used a solid black note logo. They were phasing it in. They even went out and re-branded the huge Jazz note in front of the arena making it solid black. Then a day or two before the official re-brand the backlash had grown so bad that they re-branded the Jazz note in front of the arena to the 1990's purple this week. They re-branded the re-brand and tried to hide the hideous black white and yellow jerseys as "Remixes" at the end of the release video. Make no mistake, those are the primary jerseys that have been in development for over two years now. Only recently they backed off and tried to sell purple as a big deal.

The irony of this all? The motto is "Purple is Back". When in reality PURPLE WAS ALREADY BACK. The Millers brought purple back to the uniforms in various forms over the last 5-6 years, and brought back THOSE EXACT MOUNTAIN JERSEYS for the 2019-20 season, shortly before Smith bought the team and nixed the "mountain" jerseys for the last couple of years. Now they're touting this as a big comeback when really... it was Smith himself who nixed the popular jerseys only a couple of years ago. This is insulting to me as a fan. Did they really think that their fanbase wouldn't remember that these jerseys were used only a couple of years ago to much fanfare? Did they think we haven't been paying attention to know that they've been trying to shove black and white down our throats for the last two years? :bangwall:

What a dumpster fire. :bananafire: t
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
brownjeans

Kevincurtisforlife

Post by Kevincurtisforlife » June 19th, 2022, 6:48 am

I honestly thought my friend was just joking when he sent me a picture of those. I laughed even. That yellow one… 😳

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » June 19th, 2022, 9:44 am

treesap32 wrote:
June 18th, 2022, 10:53 pm
SwaggieAggie wrote:
June 17th, 2022, 10:21 pm
That's actually exactly what it is. This article explains it well: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2022 ... tah-jazzs/

When Smith obtained the team he decided to scrap all the colors of Jazz teams from the past and go all in on Black and White. He proposed the rebrand to the NBA who nixed it because the Brooklyn Nets and San Antonio Spurs already have that color scheme. So he added yellow to get it pushed through despite all the backlash from fans from day 1 of the rumors.

Last year the intros were in black and white, and the broadcasts used a solid black note logo. They were phasing it in. They even went out and re-branded the huge Jazz note in front of the arena making it solid black. Then a day or two before the official re-brand the backlash had grown so bad that they re-branded the Jazz note in front of the arena to the 1990's purple this week. They re-branded the re-brand and tried to hide the hideous black white and yellow jerseys as "Remixes" at the end of the release video. Make no mistake, those are the primary jerseys that have been in development for over two years now. Only recently they backed off and tried to sell purple as a big deal.

The irony of this all? The motto is "Purple is Back". When in reality PURPLE WAS ALREADY BACK. The Millers brought purple back to the uniforms in various forms over the last 5-6 years, and brought back THOSE EXACT MOUNTAIN JERSEYS for the 2019-20 season, shortly before Smith bought the team and nixed the "mountain" jerseys for the last couple of years. Now they're touting this as a big comeback when really... it was Smith himself who nixed the popular jerseys only a couple of years ago. This is insulting to me as a fan. Did they really think that their fanbase wouldn't remember that these jerseys were used only a couple of years ago to much fanfare? Did they think we haven't been paying attention to know that they've been trying to shove black and white down our throats for the last two years? :bangwall:

What a dumpster fire. :bananafire:
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

This really is a dumpster. First, the colors are hideous and have nothing to do with the franchise or our history. Second, the design looks like it took a whole 5 minutes to come up with. Bare minimum brain power and effort went into this, which also pisses me off.

But.. I think my biggest issue is just how disorganized and frantic this rollout has looked. You’re right, purple is not back. They literally wore these 2 years ago. All they did was frantically look through the storage closet of already pre-approved Nike jerseys and decided “yeah, jk, we’re actually purple. Sorry about that guys.” My only question now is how long the NBA is going to handcuff them with the yellow highlighters.

I also understand that new jersey’s is pretty low on the priority list of what is a very important off-season coming up, but whenever you botch something this badly and look this unorganized, it’s never a good look.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » June 21st, 2022, 4:40 pm

"Purple is back and here to stay"... until we can make more money by tweaking the uniforms for the billionth time... which can and will happen tomorrow... so maybe "purple is back and will be one of one million uniforms and logos that we'll use with a constantly rotating cast of owners, athletes, front office, and coaches who consistently perform at a barely acceptable level" is a more accurate tweet.

I honestly think I'm out as a Jazz fan.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
AggieBlues

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » June 21st, 2022, 5:56 pm

918AGG wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 4:40 pm
"Purple is back and here to stay"... until we can make more money by tweaking the uniforms for the billionth time... which can and will happen tomorrow... so maybe "purple is back and will be one of one million uniforms and logos that we'll use with a constantly rotating cast of owners, athletes, front office, and coaches who consistently perform at a barely acceptable level" is a more accurate tweet.

Right there with you. It took Ryan Smith under 2 years to make the Jazz even more of a laughing stock than they already were. Just not worth the time of watching them perennially underachieve anymore
These users thanked the author Aggiesbleedblue for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggie918AGG

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » June 21st, 2022, 9:39 pm

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
918AGG wrote:

Right there with you. It took Ryan Smith under 2 years to make the Jazz even more of a laughing stock than they already were. Just not worth the time of watching them perennially underachieve anymore
Are y'all new Aggie fans? I'd think you would have thicker skin and exposure to being embarrassed by your team.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 21st, 2022, 10:11 pm

usufan1 wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 9:39 pm
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
918AGG wrote:

Are y'all new Aggie fans? I'd think you would have thicker skin and exposure to being embarrassed by your team.
I think it's harder to be a fan of a pro team. I did some work for a former Jazz player and was able to go to a few games, sit with the broadcasters, see behind the scenes. It kind of ruined it for me. It's just a business - pro sports don't deserve "loyal" fans. They should just have customers and those customers should only pay for it if they value the product.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
2004AGCodingAggieBlue

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » June 22nd, 2022, 12:16 am

Purple is good. The rest suck!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 22nd, 2022, 1:12 am

NBA is killing its branding with all these Jersey changes. The black & yellow is hideous.

I’m glad I never really got all that into the Jazz. I need to find a team though, same with NFL.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 22nd, 2022, 8:45 am

It is just easier to be an Aggie fan. That is enough for me. I didn't watch a single NBA game all year. It didn't even phase me one bit. I loved the Jazz as a youth. I loved watching Stockton and Malone. Those days are gone, replaced by rich, entitled super athletes.

Ryan Smith is a typical BYU guy. Likes the feel of admiration from others, but no substance.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » June 22nd, 2022, 11:54 am

Here is the jazz video explaining/justifying the change

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » June 22nd, 2022, 1:23 pm

Purple and yellow... where have I seen that before?

Oh yeah... great. They are the freaking Lakers.

I hate Ryan Smith so much.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » June 22nd, 2022, 2:30 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
June 22nd, 2022, 11:54 am

You lost me at "focus groups" and "core palette." I like how the new palette is YELLOW... and BLACK... and PURPLE... and WHITE... and now we're back to the color issues that we had before. Cut yellow. Cut black (but what will the focus groups say?!?!).

I've been an Aggie fan since 2001-ish. I've been a Jazz fan since I can remember (let's say 1991 for kicks).

I don't need thicker skin. Y'all act as if there's something morally right about being a Jazz fan. This is entertainment. The Jazz need to understand that my time is precious and valuable and that I won't be wasting it on nonsense rebrands, core palettes, focus groups, mediocre basketball, millionaires who don't give a crap about the community/market, and so-called professionals who take time off to "rest." :puke:

Peace the eff out. I'll be at home fixing my dryer.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
brownjeans

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 22nd, 2022, 3:04 pm

Smith made the color problem worse………the very problem he was trying to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
LarryTheAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 22nd, 2022, 3:04 pm

Another joins the ranks of the former NBA fans

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » June 23rd, 2022, 11:16 am

tysteve20 wrote:
June 22nd, 2022, 11:54 am

You know your new brand sucks when you have to make a video justifying it.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » June 23rd, 2022, 4:27 pm

When the jazz decided years ago they were going to just remain good enough to make it into the playoffs, get their profitability in the black but never really take the risks necessary to be great - I slowly burnt out as a jazz fan. I can only handle so many mediocre teams to follow and they don’t make the cut

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 23rd, 2022, 7:24 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
June 23rd, 2022, 4:27 pm
When the jazz decided years ago they were going to just remain good enough to make it into the playoffs, get their profitability in the black but never really take the risks necessary to be great - I slowly burnt out as a jazz fan. I can only handle so many mediocre teams to follow and they don’t make the cut
Was that the Jazz decision? Or the marquee free agents that would never play in Utah's decision
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
2004AG

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 23rd, 2022, 7:36 pm

Speaking of the Jazz - i believe Dax Raymond's sister was a dance for them this year.

Eutaw St. Aggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 23rd, 2022, 9:32 pm

I'm passively checking on the draft and thus far the Jazz have made zero off-season moves besides the worst "re-brand" in the history of our state.

Sad.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 23rd, 2022, 10:28 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 23rd, 2022, 7:36 pm
Speaking of the Jazz - i believe Dax Raymond's sister was a dance for them this year.
Yes I thought Diego had a family resemblence.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Yossarian

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » June 24th, 2022, 9:26 am

Yossarian wrote:
June 23rd, 2022, 7:24 pm
Chupamedia wrote:
Was that the Jazz decision? Or the marquee free agents that would never play in Utah's decision
I would argue Jazz decision based on how they run their organization. What "marquee" free agents do you know of that they offered a better deal to that turned them down?

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 24th, 2022, 10:46 am

Chupamedia wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 9:26 am
Yossarian wrote:
June 23rd, 2022, 7:24 pm
Chupamedia wrote:
I would argue Jazz decision based on how they run their organization. What "marquee" free agents do you know of that they offered a better deal to that turned them down?
I don't think it ever gets that far. I think they contact the player's agent to gauge interest and get shot down before an offer can ever be made. It's not a secret that Utah isn't a destination for NBA free agents.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/293 ... -dont-care

That's just a glimpse into how a lot of them think about Utah. They simply don't.

Aggies All the Way!

Locked Previous topicNext topic