It's coming

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
NowhereLandAggie

It's coming

Post by NowhereLandAggie » May 24th, 2023, 10:08 am

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... oon-report

Colorado heading to the Big XII, and WSU cutting costs across the board due to projected decreases in revenue.

No substantial TV conversations between ESPN and PAC-12.

I thought this would turn out this way a year ago.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0USU78

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: It's coming

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 24th, 2023, 11:04 am

If Colorado goes to the Big XII that means other schools are having very serious, similar conversations...Utah, Arizona State and Arizona chief among them.

My fear is that the Big XII will head east and Utah will be stuck in the PAC remnants, in which case we'll almost certainly be left in the remnants of a raided MWC. But, if Utah gets the Big XII invite.....
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
USU78

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Full

Post by Full » May 24th, 2023, 11:36 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 11:04 am
If Colorado goes to the Big XII that means other schools are having very serious, similar conversations...Utah, Arizona State and Arizona chief among them.

My fear is that the Big XII will head east and Utah will be stuck in the PAC remnants, in which case we'll almost certainly be left in the remnants of a raided MWC. But, if Utah gets the Big XII invite.....
When I read Mark Harlan’s “give me a break” tweet, I decided that ultimately this is what would happen. Utah isn’t moving the revenue needle like Colorado, Arizona’s or many ACC schools that may be available. Is there enough draw for Utah, Stanford, Cal, Wazzu, and Oregon State to bring in half the MW? It will be especially if Washington and Oregon need to stick around for a few years before a B1G invite (that might never come). So BYU being in the Big 12 means they don’t need the Utes for the Utah market for TV $$$, and the PAC doesn’t want USU when it already has Utah. PAC adds four or six Mountain West Schools and USU isn’t one.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » May 24th, 2023, 11:49 am

Full wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 11:36 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 11:04 am

When I read Mark Harlan’s “give me a break” tweet, I decided that ultimately this is what would happen. Utah isn’t moving the revenue needle like Colorado, Arizona’s or many ACC schools that may be available. Is there enough draw for Utah, Stanford, Cal, Wazzu, and Oregon State to bring in half the MW? It will be especially if Washington and Oregon need to stick around for a few years before a B1G invite (that might never come). So BYU being in the Big 12 means they don’t need the Utes for the Utah market for TV $$$, and the PAC doesn’t want USU when it already has Utah. PAC adds four or six Mountain West Schools and USU isn’t one.
The problem that the Pac12 is going to run into if they stay that intact is their situation won't be quite bad enough for the Presidents to drop their academic standards. Which makes adding 4 to 6 MWC teams that are both good at football and athletics hard.

They can add:
Colorado State
UNLV
Maybe Hawaii?

You can drop academic standards a bit for:
SDSU
SMU

Other options would be:
Tulane and Memphis

but I am not sure that the AAC teams make sense, especially if Colorado and Arizona schools are gone (and if the ACC is going to come knocking soon too).

The point is, IF the pac stays somewhat intact, they won't be able to justify schools like Fresno or Boise.

The Pac12 just does not have many options and staying relatively intact removes their excuse to drop academic constrains.

But if Utah is still there, it would take a real lot for them to vote for us.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 24th, 2023, 12:26 pm

Even without Utah's vote, we're not getting anyone else's. The only thing that matters is money and money is based on media deals. We don't bring any more TV sets, so we wouldn't even be considered in any conference Utah is in. A PAC 12 with Utah would invite Toledo, Coastal Carolina, or Middle Tennessee State before they'd invite Utah State.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
trevordude

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » May 24th, 2023, 12:28 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 12:26 pm
Even without Utah's vote, we're not getting anyone else's. The only thing that matters is money and money is based on media deals. We don't bring any more TV sets, so we wouldn't even be considered in any conference Utah is in.
I looked at the TV numbers a while ago, we are actually in the top third of the conference. If I remember right. We certainly are in the top three or four in terms of nationally televised games in the conference.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » May 24th, 2023, 12:31 pm

I am so ready to be done with college athletics. Washington State broke the bank in an attempt to tread water in big time intercollegiate athletics, and the negative effects on the institution as a whole will far be reaching for several years. Utah has been quite successful in the PAC-12 over the past decade, and proven themselves to be a successful P5 program, regularly capable of achieving top 10 rankings. Now, through no fault of their own, they are on the verge of being hung out to dry. Really sick of the mess that is collegiate athletics. Really would like to see more schools and conferences follow the lead of the Ivy League, especially when you add in the NIL issue.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggie3rdGenAggieflying_scotsman2.0

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » May 24th, 2023, 12:52 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 12:31 pm
I am so ready to be done with college athletics. Washington State broke the bank in an attempt to tread water in big time intercollegiate athletics, and the negative effects on the institution as a whole will far be reaching for several years. Utah has been quite successful in the PAC-12 over the past decade, and proven themselves to be a successful P5 program, regularly capable of achieving top 10 rankings. Now, through no fault of their own, they are on the verge of being hung out to dry. Really sick of the mess that is collegiate athletics. Really would like to see more schools and conferences follow the lead of the Ivy League, especially when you add in the NIL issue.
Absolutely agree!!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 24th, 2023, 12:59 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
Utah has been quite successful in the PAC-12 over the past decade, and proven themselves to be a successful P5 program, regularly capable of achieving top 10 rankings. Now, through no fault of their own, they are on the verge of being hung out to dry.
Setting all else aside, that would be pretty great.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 5):
flying_scotsman2.0Full3rdGenAggie2004AGaggietime

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » May 24th, 2023, 1:31 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 12:59 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
Utah has been quite successful in the PAC-12 over the past decade, and proven themselves to be a successful P5 program, regularly capable of achieving top 10 rankings. Now, through no fault of their own, they are on the verge of being hung out to dry.
Mark my words, Utah will end up in the Big XII along with UC, ASU, and U of A.

I don't read anything to the contrary, and Oregon and Washington will join the Big 10 or 20 or whatever it ends up being.

The PAC-12 will consist of WSU, OSU, California, and Stanford. They will merge with most, if not all of the MW when all is said and done.

Stanford may find a new home at some point though.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post (total 6):
Zaggie073rdGenAggieLarryTheAggieflying_scotsman2.0vegasaggieaggies22

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 24th, 2023, 2:05 pm

Stanford in the conference would provide us with an academic equal, that would be nice.

I’m joking, obviously. But still would be cool

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » May 24th, 2023, 2:14 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 1:31 pm
brownjeans wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

I don't read anything to the contrary, and Oregon and Washington will join the Big 10 or 20 or whatever it ends up being.

The PAC-12 will consist of WSU, OSU, California, and Stanford. They will merge with most, if not all of the MW when all is said and done.

I can't imagine a conference that includes Wyoming and Boise State on one hand and Cal Berkley and Stanford on the other. I think you are right that Stanford would find a new conference or go independent in football. Not sure if Cal could pull it off but I think Stanford might.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » May 24th, 2023, 2:38 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 2:14 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

I can't imagine a conference that includes Wyoming and Boise State on one hand and Cal Berkley and Stanford on the other. I think you are right that Stanford would find a new conference or go independent in football. Not sure if Cal could pull it off but I think Stanford might.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. The ACC swore they would never invite Louisville due to academics, but UNC, Wake Forest, and Virginia finally relented when teams left.

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » May 24th, 2023, 4:05 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
There's an entire division that follows the Ivy League model.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 24th, 2023, 4:37 pm

Lets get real about something; Colorado nor anyone else is leaving the PAC pre-emptively. The only shoe that drops first is a B1G invite for Oregon and Washington. W/o that, I don't see any movement from the PAC. If the B12 was going to make moves, they would simply invite the PAC's best teams.

The B12 created a monster conference they are stuck with. Had they waited (if they could have) until UCLA and SC bolted, they could probably had easily started poaching other PAC schools to join. Now they are stuck with Houston, Memphis and ybu with the likes of Tex Tech and Baylor. Instead it's going to be a hard slog trying to convince Oregon and Washington to join the B12, I don't see that happening.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » May 24th, 2023, 6:04 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 4:37 pm
Lets get real about something; Colorado nor anyone else is leaving the PAC pre-emptively. The only shoe that drops first is a B1G invite for Oregon and Washington. W/o that, I don't see any movement from the PAC. If the B12 was going to make moves, they would simply invite the PAC's best teams.

The B12 created a monster conference they are stuck with. Had they waited (if they could have) until UCLA and SC bolted, they could probably had easily started poaching other PAC schools to join. Now they are stuck with Houston, Memphis and ybu with the likes of Tex Tech and Baylor. Instead it's going to be a hard slog trying to convince Oregon and Washington to join the B12, I don't see that happening.
Memphis is in the AAC. Scratch them and add Cincinnati and UCF.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » May 24th, 2023, 6:18 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 2:38 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 2:14 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

Desperate times call for desperate measures. The ACC swore they would never invite Louisville due to academics, but UNC, Wake Forest, and Virginia finally relented when teams left.
That is true, but those schools weren't effectively dropping down to Louisville's conference. I think they would act more like BYU when Utah left the MW and do their own thing to save face.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 24th, 2023, 6:24 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 6:04 pm
ViAggie wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 4:37 pm

Memphis is in the AAC. Scratch them and add Cincinnati and UCF.
My bad, yes UCF and Cinci, two good schools don't get me wrong, just not PAC-12 material. The other school isn't even worth mentioning.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » May 27th, 2023, 9:38 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 2:05 pm
Stanford in the conference would provide us with an academic equal, that would be nice.

Hey, Stanford is a pretty darn good school. I think they're at least close to our equal.

Cal is a disaster. If they don't have a seat when the music stops playing, I could actually see them dropping athletics altogether. They get very little support from the students and faculty as it is. Hey, maybe if Cal dropped athletics, and Stanford joined the MWC, San Jose might get more than 1,000 people in the bleachers for home football games.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 27th, 2023, 9:45 pm

LKGates wrote:
May 27th, 2023, 9:38 pm

Hey, Stanford is a pretty darn good school. I think they're at least close to our equal.

Cal is a disaster. If they don't have a seat when the music stops playing, I could actually see them dropping athletics altogether. They get very little support from the students and faculty as it is. Hey, maybe if Cal dropped athletics, and Stanford joined the MWC, San Jose might get more than 1,000 people in the bleachers for home football games.
Have you seen attendance at Stanford recently?

LKGates

Post by LKGates » May 29th, 2023, 1:31 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 27th, 2023, 9:45 pm
LKGates wrote:

I just looked it up. Yikes. 10th in the PAC-12, averaging 29,965, ahead of only Oregon State and Washington State. Having said that, their attendance was still better than ours.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 29th, 2023, 1:38 pm

LKGates wrote:
May 29th, 2023, 1:31 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 27th, 2023, 9:45 pm
LKGates wrote:

I just looked it up. Yikes. 10th in the PAC-12, averaging 29,965, ahead of only Oregon State and Washington State. Having said that, their attendance was still better than ours.
Let’s just say that’s not butt in seats. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was under 15k in seats
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 30th, 2023, 11:10 am

The PAC12 from top to bottom has better attendance than most schools in the G5. Except for expansion schools currently headed for P5 conferences, Boise State, AFA and South Florida are the only schools who do better than Washington State or Oregon State, the PAC's two lowest attendance schools.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 30th, 2023, 8:11 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 30th, 2023, 11:10 am
The PAC12 from top to bottom has better attendance than most schools in the G5. Except for expansion schools currently headed for P5 conferences, Boise State, AFA and South Florida are the only schools who do better than Washington State or Oregon State, the PAC's two lowest attendance schools.
Wazzu, Oregon State, Stanford and Cal will all see attendance drop if they move to the MW unless they start winning at a high level. Part of why their attendance is good is because they are in the Pac12. Stanford fans will care even less if they are playing New Mexico and UNLV instead of USC and Oregon.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 30th, 2023, 8:26 pm

ViAggie wrote:
Right Stanford this looks like great attendance. Go trees or whatever your mascot is.

The Bay Area just does not care.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 30th, 2023, 9:10 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 30th, 2023, 8:26 pm
ViAggie wrote:
Right Stanford this looks like great attendance. Go trees or whatever your mascot is.

Part of that is Stanford has sucked for the last several years. They had good attendance in the early 2010's when they were winning 10 games a year, but they aren't a program that can survive down years
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 30th, 2023, 9:26 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 30th, 2023, 9:10 pm
slcagg wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

Part of that is Stanford has sucked for the last several years. They had good attendance in the early 2010's when they were winning 10 games a year, but they aren't a program that can survive down years
Probably a big part and good callout.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiiaggies22

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 31st, 2023, 9:33 am

May 30th, 2023, 8:11 pm
ViAggie wrote:
Wazzu, Oregon State, Stanford and Cal will all see attendance drop if they move to the MW unless they start winning at a high level. Part of why their attendance is good is because they are in the Pac12. Stanford fans will care even less if they are playing New Mexico and UNLV instead of USC and Oregon.
OR... heaven forbid... San Jose State!!!!!!! :lol:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 31st, 2023, 9:38 am

slcagg wrote:
May 30th, 2023, 9:26 pm
slcagg wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

Too many Universities out there are too snooty to pick up athletes good enough to win year in and year out. Colorado finally figured this out, Notre Dame will never be as good as they once were, and then you have Stanford who should have probably never been in the PAC and should have joined up with the Ivy Leagues. If you want to be that snooty, you'll have to suffer the consequences. Another problem these snooty schools face is that they actively and purposely go after rich kids. Look at their roster, full of HS kids that were in expensive private schools. Those parents can afford to give little Johnny every advantive, including all the expensive gear, tuttering, one-on-one physical training, etc. It doesn't nec. mean you will have the very best athletes though. They'd rather chase those new dollars than trying to keep alumni satisfied.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 31st, 2023, 10:28 am

ViAggie wrote:
May 31st, 2023, 9:33 am
May 30th, 2023, 8:11 pm
ViAggie wrote:
OR... heaven forbid... San Jose State!!!!!!! :lol:
You are telling me that big bay area rivalry wouldn't drop 50,000 in attendance! I'm shocked!
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ViAggie

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » May 31st, 2023, 1:44 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 31st, 2023, 9:38 am
slcagg wrote:
slcagg wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

Too many Universities out there are too snooty to pick up athletes good enough to win year in and year out. Colorado finally figured this out, Notre Dame will never be as good as they once were, and then you have Stanford who should have probably never been in the PAC and should have joined up with the Ivy Leagues.
Stanford fit academically with Cal, USC, and UCLA. But given the Ivy League is 8 schools in the northeastern U.S., Stanford would not have been a geographic fit, and it is doubtful the Ivy League schools would have been willing to fund frequent travel to the west coast for sports teams.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
Gidbob

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » June 1st, 2023, 2:43 am

ViAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
slcagg wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

Too many Universities out there are too snooty to pick up athletes good enough to win year in and year out. Colorado finally figured this out, Notre Dame will never be as good as they once were, and then you have Stanford who should have probably never been in the PAC and should have joined up with the Ivy Leagues. If you want to be that snooty, you'll have to suffer the consequences. Another problem these snooty schools face is that they actively and purposely go after rich kids. Look at their roster, full of HS kids that were in expensive private schools. Those parents can afford to give little Johnny every advantive, including all the expensive gear, tuttering, one-on-one physical training, etc. It doesn't nec. mean you will have the very best athletes though. They'd rather chase those new dollars than trying to keep alumni satisfied.
Indeed, from what I have been told, Jim Harbaugh only agreed to take the Stanford coaching job if their admissions office agreed to lower the academic standards for football recruits. Suddenly Stanford played in something like 5 NY6 bowls in a row. It's crazy that David Shaw went from multiple NY6 appearances (at Stanford, of all places) to losing his job. I think Stanford is now struggling to figure out how to win in a world with NIL money and the transfer portal.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 1st, 2023, 9:11 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 2:43 am
ViAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
slcagg wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

Indeed, from what I have been told, Jim Harbaugh only agreed to take the Stanford coaching job if their admissions office agreed to lower the academic standards for football recruits. Suddenly Stanford played in something like 5 NY6 bowls in a row. It's crazy that David Shaw went from multiple NY6 appearances (at Stanford, of all places) to losing his job. I think Stanford is now struggling to figure out how to win in a world with NIL money and the transfer portal.
The beauty of Palo Alto should be enough, you'd think?

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » June 1st, 2023, 8:04 pm

ViAggie wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 9:11 am
StanfordAggie wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 2:43 am
ViAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
slcagg wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

The beauty of Palo Alto should be enough, you'd think?
Well, in the Harbaugh/Shaw glory days, the recruiting pitch used to be, "If you don't make the NFL, you'll still have a Stanford degree. So either way you are set for life." But that pitch may be less compelling in the NIL world. And Stanford usually only takes a few dozen transfer students per year at most, so the transfer portal is probably hurting them as well.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
ViAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 2nd, 2023, 8:25 am

I find this whole thread pretty sad. It just shows how incongruence of the world of high income sports and university education. Academics and student are a distant second to sports. It might as well be semi-pro or pro-prep.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0ViAggiebigblue32

Locked Previous topicNext topic