New Softball Coach

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
stang

New Softball Coach

Post by stang » June 5th, 2023, 8:37 pm

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2023/6 ... coach.aspx

Looks like we've got our new softball coach, Todd Judge. Most recently an assistant coach at BYU.

I'm not overly impressed by his resume, only one year as a true full-time DI assistant coach and a bunch of club experience before that, but I'm willing to give him a shot. That program has desperately needed some new life for a while now.

aggie276

Re: New Softball Coach

Post by aggie276 » June 6th, 2023, 10:07 am

stang wrote:
June 5th, 2023, 8:37 pm
https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2023/6 ... coach.aspx

Looks like we've got our new softball coach, Todd Judge. Most recently an assistant coach at BYU.

I'm not overly impressed by his resume, only one year as a true full-time DI assistant coach and a bunch of club experience before that, but I'm willing to give him a shot. That program has desperately needed some new life for a while now.
Was he successful at lower levels? Sometimes that still leads to success at the D1 level. If he knows how to win at any level, hopefully that will start to translate here!

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » June 6th, 2023, 10:15 am

I mean successful at a high-school level. Surely with the six-figure salary we could have managed to get some names.

I know we had sitting head coaches who were finalists. Ran into her at the airport (!) plus we had the Idaho State HC involved.

stang

Post by stang » June 6th, 2023, 10:49 am

It's definitely possible that Judge is a home run hire (forgive the pun) and Jerry really saw something in him that stood out during the interview process despite his lack of D1 experience. I'm willing to reserve judgement until we see what happens on the field.

I'd just say that I had a similar feeling reading his announcement as I did reading Ard's a few years back - Hopeful but a bit surprised by the resume.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
Aggiefan33aggies22

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » June 6th, 2023, 1:02 pm

stang wrote:
June 6th, 2023, 10:49 am
It's definitely possible that Judge is a home run hire (forgive the pun) and Jerry really saw something in him that stood out during the interview process despite his lack of D1 experience. I'm willing to reserve judgement until we see what happens on the field.

I'd just say that I had a similar feeling reading his announcement as I did reading Ard's a few years back - Hopeful but a bit surprised by the resume.
Oh for sure. And the shades of similarity to Ards hire make it reasonable to be apprehensive. (Although less nepotism here, ha). Hopefully, it will turn out ok. At least within two seasons there should be considerable improvement, imo.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 7th, 2023, 1:26 pm

He knows who BYU is recruiting. Whatever makes us stronger and hurts BYU?????

Priceless!

Hopefully he doesn't feel the need to honor some ethical hands-off policy with BYU's players. BYU has had no problem poaching our players whenever they can. Loyalty is an issue with anyone coming to Logan from the stench. F-U Stan Albrecht!

stang

Post by stang » June 7th, 2023, 1:30 pm

El Sapo wrote:
June 7th, 2023, 1:26 pm
He knows who BYU is recruiting. Whatever makes us stronger and hurts BYU?????

Priceless!

Hopefully he doesn't feel the need to honor some ethical hands-off policy with BYU's players. BYU has had no problem poaching our players whenever they can. Loyalty is an issue with anyone coming to Logan from the stench. F-U Stan Albrecht!
Agreed, they've had some strong teams down there. I'm hoping he may be able to grab a few underused or disgruntled players to make the trip north with him.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
El Sapoaggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic