NAR: 1972 Summit Series Canada-USSR

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ootek

NAR: 1972 Summit Series Canada-USSR

Post by ootek » June 15th, 2023, 1:07 pm

Being neither Canadian nor much of a hockey fan, I just learned of Canada’s wild 8-game series against the Soviet Union 7.5 years before the USA’s Miracle on Ice. Pretty entertaining to read articles and watch videos to learn how it all went down and some of the situations surrounding it, complete with a 3-1 (3-1-1, actually) comeback. And really fun to get a taste of one of our northern neighbor’s historic events.
I think I recall that at least one poster here is from Canada. Retroactive congratulations to your country from this American on their tremendous series.
As a little Aggie-related side bonus: Team Canada was booed on their home ice after their game four loss, falling to 2-1-1, which drew an emotional response from one of the main players in the post game interview.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_Series

usugoalie13

Re: NAR: 1972 Summit Series Canada-USSR

Post by usugoalie13 » June 15th, 2023, 2:11 pm

It's a great series. I have a DVD set that has all the games with commentary from the players. The stories are insane. The way they were treated in Russia and such. I am one of those posters from Canada. We take great pride in the summit series. In fact I am wearing a shirt right now that says 1972 champions.

ootek

Post by ootek » June 15th, 2023, 6:43 pm

usugoalie13 wrote:It's a great series. I have a DVD set that has all the games with commentary from the players. The stories are insane. The way they were treated in Russia and such. I am one of those posters from Canada. We take great pride in the summit series. In fact I am wearing a shirt right now that says 1972 champions.
I definitely searched around to see if there was a movie retelling the story, and it looks like there is a tv series, and then some more documentary type movies and series. I haven’t watched any of those, but I stayed up for an hour or two last night reading articles and watching YouTube clips. I’m sure I only saw a small taste of the treatment they got in Moscow, but that’s crazy.
That’s awesome that you’ve got a cool DVD set and happen to be wearing a shirt.
You’ll laugh, but I learned of the summit series after watching an episode of Corner Gas and them giving a heavy handed “this reminds me of something” near the end of the episode. So I was curious to see what it was. I had no idea it was going to be something so epic.

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » June 15th, 2023, 9:37 pm

ootek wrote:
June 15th, 2023, 6:43 pm
usugoalie13 wrote:It's a great series. I have a DVD set that has all the games with commentary from the players. The stories are insane. The way they were treated in Russia and such. I am one of those posters from Canada. We take great pride in the summit series. In fact I am wearing a shirt right now that says 1972 champions.
I definitely searched around to see if there was a movie retelling the story, and it looks like there is a tv series, and then some more documentary type movies and series. I haven’t watched any of those, but I stayed up for an hour or two last night reading articles and watching YouTube clips. I’m sure I only saw a small taste of the treatment they got in Moscow, but that’s crazy.
You’ll laugh, but I learned of the summit series after watching an episode of Corner Gas and them giving a heavy handed “this reminds me of something” near the end of the episode. So I was curious to see what it was. I had no idea it was going to be something so epic.
One of the best corner gas episodes. And that is an amazing show. For anyone curious. It's a comedy about a small town in Saskatchewan. Highly recommend.

ootek

Post by ootek » June 15th, 2023, 9:57 pm

usugoalie13 wrote:
ootek wrote:
June 15th, 2023, 6:43 pm
One of the best corner gas episodes. And that is an amazing show. For anyone curious. It's a comedy about a small town in Saskatchewan. Highly recommend.
Yeah, I’m really glad I heard about it on a podcast and decided to give the first episode a watch. My wife and I are now on season four and are both really enjoying it. I just might be pulling an Oscar and becoming obsessed with Canada the way he became obsessed with Ukraine Image.
For anyone curious, you can watch the whole Corner Gas series on Amazon Prime / Freevee for free with adds.

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » June 16th, 2023, 8:50 am

They also made an animated series for a couple seasons. You'll have to checknit out. Also the corner gas movie.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » June 16th, 2023, 12:23 pm

If you want another comedic gem from Canada…Letterkenny on Hulu is pretty crass at times but really funny. Also about a small town in Canada and the interactions between the different social groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author breadysmith for the post:
usugoalie13

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Locked Previous topicNext topic