After the Teleconference-Is there going to be sports at USU?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
alaskan-aggie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

After the Teleconference-Is there going to be sports at USU?

Post by alaskan-aggie » November 22nd, 2010, 4:44 pm

You cant get much worse news than today!!!! We cant go the independent game anymore-we dont have the money etc! Very bad day for news on the WAC and USU

ShowMeAggie

Re: After the Teleconference-Is there going to be sports at

Post by ShowMeAggie » November 22nd, 2010, 5:47 pm

:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

care to elaborate for those of us NOT in the know???

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 22nd, 2010, 6:38 pm

All I got from the teleconference is that the WAC's autobid for basketball is NOT in jeopardy, and that if Hawaii leaves we with try like hell to get North Texas to come in order to keep us at 8 for football. While the WAC isn't in good shape, it didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know nor did it sound like a dooms day report...

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 22nd, 2010, 7:56 pm

We'll be fine. Once the BE pulls the trigger everything will reshuffle again. The only important thing to know about the current situation is that it is not stable. When the dust clears, I believe we will be in a better position than before all of this started.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

TheRoar

Post by TheRoar » November 22nd, 2010, 10:48 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:All I got from the teleconference is that the WAC's autobid for basketball is NOT in jeopardy, and that if Hawaii leaves we with try like hell to get North Texas to come in order to keep us at 8 for football.
North Texas rejects WAC offer:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 238e9.html

The Rivals site even talks about the Sun Belt picking up La Tech and NMSU.

http://www.northtexas.rivals.com/conten ... ID=1156469

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » November 23rd, 2010, 1:03 am

How many times doesn UNT have to reject the WAC before Benson stops asking? Isn't it humiliating enough that they have turned us down as often as they have already? Benson is really a glutton for punishment (as evidenced by his numerous teleconferences, which he always calls only to address bad news suffered by the WAC). Again, a quote from Benson left me scratching my head: He said that he had hoped that the additions of UT-SA and TSU would have made the WAC more attractive to UNT. Haha! So we are adding teams in order to lure the likes of UNT over, and it still didn't work!? What failure by Mr. Benson.

Let's hope the dream scenario of an expanded MWC comes to fruition for USU, because I will have a hard time getting excited for a schedule that includes the worst teams in the current WAC plus UT-SA, TSU, and Denver (in hoops).

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » November 23rd, 2010, 3:24 am

The thing that was new is the idea of a 7-team football league being OK for right now. We just wouldn't be FBS officially, yet everything would run as normal? That could at least buy some time while getting more teams to join.

Benson should just throw out an open invite to:

Sacramento State
Portland State
Eastern Washington (Spokane market)
Montana State (could lure Montana)

And accept all of them if they'd like.

And see if there's any non-football programs that want football.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 23rd, 2010, 8:30 am

I want to get as far away from Benson as possible

StevePark

Post by StevePark » November 23rd, 2010, 8:50 am

It may sound silly to some, but in this round of conference realignment I've decided to let go and let God. Last time we played musical chairs, I nearly gave myself an ulcer with all the worry and handwringing. I've decided not to let it get to me, since it's completely out of my control.

"I grew up on a farm; I have seen animals having sex in every position imaginable; goat on chicken, chicken on goat, couple of chickens doing a goat, couple of pigs watching." --hipsterdoofus21

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 23rd, 2010, 3:36 pm

Rabidchild wrote:How many times doesn UNT have to reject the WAC before Benson stops asking? Isn't it humiliating enough that they have turned us down as often as they have already? Benson is really a glutton for punishment (as evidenced by his numerous teleconferences, which he always calls only to address bad news suffered by the WAC). Again, a quote from Benson left me scratching my head: He said that he had hoped that the additions of UT-SA and TSU would have made the WAC more attractive to UNT. Haha! So we are adding teams in order to lure the likes of UNT over, and it still didn't work!? What failure by Mr. Benson.

Let's hope the dream scenario of an expanded MWC comes to fruition for USU, because I will have a hard time getting excited for a schedule that includes the worst teams in the current WAC plus UT-SA, TSU, and Denver (in hoops).
I'm willing to bet that he was "Surprised" that North Texas turned down his offer. Just like he was surprised when they turned him down the other two times.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 23rd, 2010, 3:38 pm

StevePark wrote:It may sound silly to some, but in this round of conference realignment I've decided to let go and let God. Last time we played musical chairs, I nearly gave myself an ulcer with all the worry and handwringing. I've decided not to let it get to me, since it's completely out of my control.

+1,000,000

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » November 24th, 2010, 4:00 am

I'm not worried, just anxious. The longer things are unclear and in limbo the harder it is for the entire athletic departments, recruits, etc. USU and a super crappy WAC that has its exact teams figured out is much better than sitting around waiting for who knows what.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » November 25th, 2010, 1:48 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:All I got from the teleconference is that the WAC's autobid for basketball is NOT in jeopardy ...
isn't that because benson believes the ncaa is going to change the rule?

if so, i hope he's right, but he hasn't been right on very much lately.

Locked Previous topicNext topic