Baltimore Orioles

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Yossarian

Baltimore Orioles

Post by Yossarian » August 13th, 2023, 8:47 pm

How'bout them birds?!

That is all.

Eutaw St. Aggie

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Re: Baltimore Orioles

Post by sam tingey » August 13th, 2023, 9:44 pm

Its fun. Wish the giants could get it together and catch the dodgers.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
2004AG

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 13th, 2023, 9:45 pm

I was starting to forgive Angelos when the MASN deal was resolved and then that little weenie baby suspended the reporter.

If Angelos wasn’t such a prick I’d still be an O’s fan as a secondary to the Nats. I grew up loving the O’s. I think most nats fans would be warm to the O’s if they further hold us hostage with MASN

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 13th, 2023, 9:51 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 9:45 pm
I was starting to forgive Angelos when the MASN deal was resolved and then that little weenie baby suspended the reporter.

If Angelos wasn’t such a prick I’d still be an O’s fan as a secondary to the Nats. I grew up loving the O’s. I think most nats fans would be warm to the O’s if they further hold us hostage with MASN
It wasn't a reporter, it was their TV play by play guy, and a very popular one And it was the most petty thing I have ever heard. Part of me wants to see Angelos sell the team and the new owner move it to Nashville.

Having said that, it's been a fun ride. I've been following these guys since their draft and minor league days. The O's still have talent coming - 8 of the top 100 prospects in the minors. The window is just starting to open. It's been a long time, but the birds are coming.

Eutaw St. Aggie

papaj

Post by papaj » August 13th, 2023, 10:13 pm

Yossarian wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 8:47 pm
How'bout them birds?!

That is all.
Consecutive great games with unfortunate endings. Go M’s.

Welcome to Utah State University: A Little Piece of Heaven on the North Side of Hell

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 13th, 2023, 11:10 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:I was starting to forgive Angelos when the MASN deal was resolved and then that little weenie baby suspended the reporter.

Nats are my favorite team too though I am not sure I can name anybody on the current roster due to apathy. Watched almost every game summary after work from Korea when they won the world series though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » August 14th, 2023, 11:19 am

It's going to be a great postseason! My stros are playing well, Verlander is back, the Rangers are good, the Orioles are good/fun, and the Yankees are struggling! Life is good!

I'll be happy for whichever team wins it this year. I'm getting Atlanta vibes.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » August 14th, 2023, 11:29 am

Yossarian wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 9:51 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

It wasn't a reporter, it was their TV play by play guy, and a very popular one And it was the most petty thing I have ever heard. Part of me wants to see Angelos sell the team and the new owner move it to Nashville.

Having said that, it's been a fun ride. I've been following these guys since their draft and minor league days. The O's still have talent coming - 8 of the top 100 prospects in the minors. The window is just starting to open. It's been a long time, but the birds are coming.
agree on all

let's hope they pay for these fellas and keep them here.

i'm going to a game in a couple of weeks. super psyched.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » August 14th, 2023, 12:29 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Did grad school in B'more, and the Orioles sucked at the time, so we could get tickets through Hopkins a couple of times per year for about $4 a ticket. We would take the light rail from Towson down to the gates of Camden Yards and have a fun family night for about $25. They let you bring a soft-sided cooler in at that time (and it didn't even have to be clear), so we could bring our own popcorn, soft pretzels, etc. (remember we were dirt poor grad students at the time with a family of 4-5).

I have followed the Orioles a bit since then, and think you are a bit mistaken with your optimism. They are a farm team for the big boys. Name a top notch player that has stayed with them when the big money came calling. They seem to run an incredible program where they keep having home grown talent that gets stolen away the contract after they get really good. It is like USU and good coaches. It is sad, but also inevitable.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
sam tingey

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 14th, 2023, 1:43 pm

jpswensen wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 12:29 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Did grad school in B'more, and the Orioles sucked at the time, so we could get tickets through Hopkins a couple of times per year for about $4 a ticket. We would take the light rail from Towson down to the gates of Camden Yards and have a fun family night for about $25. They let you bring a soft-sided cooler in at that time (and it didn't even have to be clear), so we could bring our own popcorn, soft pretzels, etc. (remember we were dirt poor grad students at the time with a family of 4-5).

I have followed the Orioles a bit since then, and think you are a bit mistaken with your optimism. They are a farm team for the big boys. Name a top notch player that has stayed with them when the big money came calling. They seem to run an incredible program where they keep having home grown talent that gets stolen away the contract after they get really good. It is like USU and good coaches. It is sad, but also inevitable.
I've been a fan since about 1980. I rememberr the 1983 World Series team and would emulate them all the time on the little league field. I have seen the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. And yes - they are not able to compete with the payrolls of the big boys (Aaron Judge, alone makes nearly as much as the entire Orioles roster - $40M vs. $44M). They will never be able to spend like that.

However, things are way different now than in years past. Mike Elias (GM) and Sig Merdahl have recruited and drafted differently and changed that culture. They are also developing talent like never before (as evidenced in their top-of-the-league farm system). They invested in a baseball complex/school in the DR and have started recruiting internationally, where they never did that before - this is already paying dividends as you'll see when Sam Basallo his the big leagues. Things are changing.

They won't have to spend big money with the infill of talent coming. They will operate more like the Rays - ride top young players through their rookie contacts and then trade to replenish the farm system. They will extend offers to guys like Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson to try and keep them long term, as well. The key is going to be pitching. Their young pitchers are approaching I innings limits - they have never pitched this many innings in a season and it's wearing on them. We'll see if they can hold up.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 14th, 2023, 11:55 pm

papaj wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 10:13 pm
Yossarian wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 8:47 pm
How'bout them birds?!

That is all.
Consecutive great games with unfortunate endings. Go M’s.
I realize it wasn't fun to watch as a Mariners fan, but that game on Sunday is what makes baseball the greatest game ever. Two guys brought in a late inning replacements. One (one of the fastest guys in the league), barely beats a throw scoring from third on a comebacker to the pitcher to put the O's up a run.

Then, in the bottom of the ninth, the other replacement, Mullins, takes away a game-tying homerun with one out. A tremendous catch. The next batter takes the wind out of Baltimore's sales with a no-doubter and tie the game with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.

Then Mullins, after having saved the game by taking away a home run, puts the O's up for good with a two-run home run about 5 minutes later.

Unbelievable.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 15th, 2023, 10:09 am

The Os do have a great core of young players. Gunner Henderson looks to be an absolute stud.

I can see a move to Nashville as Baltimore isn’t a great city (although it can be- more of a sandbox discussion though). Camden Yards is just such a beautiful park it’d be tough to see MLB leave it.

If it weren’t for Angelos, I’d still like the Os. I grew up with Albert Belle, Will Clark, Mussina, Ripken- and some great years with Melvin Mora, Brady Anderson and a couple good years from Scott Erickson.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
BustaMcNutt

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » August 15th, 2023, 11:51 am

And in last place, by ten lengths...

It's Beetlebaum...er... The Rockies

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 15th, 2023, 1:01 pm

I'm a White Sox Fan...

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
BearLakeMonster

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 15th, 2023, 1:04 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
August 15th, 2023, 10:09 am
The Os do have a great core of young players. Gunner Henderson looks to be an absolute stud.

I can see a move to Nashville as Baltimore isn’t a great city (although it can be- more of a sandbox discussion though). Camden Yards is just such a beautiful park it’d be tough to see MLB leave it.

If it weren’t for Angelos, I’d still like the Os. I grew up with Albert Belle, Will Clark, Mussina, Ripken- and some great years with Melvin Mora, Brady Anderson and a couple good years from Scott Erickson.
You mean Brady Anderson 90210.

Those teams of the late 90s/early 00s were fun to watch. The steroid era. Belle was only there 2 seasons, but I think the Os are still paying him in a Bobby Bonilla type arrangement. Robby Alomar, Rafael Palmeiro, Miguel Tejada, Javi Lopez also came through there. Some good teams.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 29th, 2023, 11:09 am

I was watching the Orioles-White Sox game last night. The Orioles broadcasters had Joan Jett in the booth with them for an inning. I didn't realize it, but she is a huge Orioles fan. She was talking about her first time seeking them in person was in 1969 when she saw Jim Palmer throw a no- hitter against Catfish Hunter and the A's.

She was talking about how she has followed this group through the minor leagues, how to grip the ball and rotate your arm to throw a screw ball, and a bunch of detailed baseball stuff. I was shocked how much she knew.

Then she told how she has her phone on a stand with her on stage when the Orioles are playing during her concerts. She says she constantly checks the game status during her shows between songs. It was pretty funny. I became more of a Joan Jett fan after that interview.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
sam tingey

Eutaw St. Aggie

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 30th, 2023, 9:10 am

How's Felix looking?

Nobody here knows anything.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 30th, 2023, 10:43 am

I went to the Orioles/Sox game last night sporting my Sox jersey. My sox hung with them until our relievers came in and then it turned into a blowout. Orioles have some real firepower on offense, and lately the trend is that they come on late in the game scoring in droves.

papaj

Post by papaj » August 30th, 2023, 12:47 pm

treesap32 wrote:
August 30th, 2023, 10:43 am
I went to the Orioles/Sox game last night sporting my Sox jersey. My sox hung with them until our relievers came in and then it turned into a blowout. Orioles have some real firepower on offense, and lately the trend is that they come on late in the game scoring in droves.
I did like watching games in Baltimore. The MARC didn’t run on weekend when I lived in DC, so we’d drive up, park at the Lexington Market, get some crab cakes at Faidley’s, and walk down to silently root for the visiting team.

Welcome to Utah State University: A Little Piece of Heaven on the North Side of Hell

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 30th, 2023, 5:10 pm

treesap32 wrote:
August 30th, 2023, 10:43 am
Today's game would have been the one you wanted to attend as a Sox fan.
treesap32

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 30th, 2023, 5:13 pm

OKAggie wrote:
August 30th, 2023, 9:10 am
How's Felix looking?
No updates on the arm injury that I've seen. A generic UCL injury. My fear is an upcoming Tommy John surgery that will sideline him the rest of this year and all of next year. He was making a legitimate claim for Cy Young as a closer.

Eutaw St. Aggie

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 30th, 2023, 8:53 pm

Yossarian wrote:
August 30th, 2023, 5:13 pm
OKAggie wrote:
August 30th, 2023, 9:10 am
How's Felix looking?
No updates on the arm injury that I've seen. A generic UCL injury. My fear is an upcoming Tommy John surgery that will sideline him the rest of this year and all of next year. He was making a legitimate claim for Cy Young as a closer.
Uggh. He’s been as good as I’ve seen on a long while. Hope he doesn’t need TJ

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 24th, 2023, 7:12 pm

And here my Orioles sit in late September with a magic number of 3 to clinch the AL East and lock up the #1 seed for the playoffs. I did not expect this - I was thinking they were still another year away from making a series playoff push. A team full of young kids and a few vets that nobody else wanted. One of the lowest payrolls in all of MLB. It has been a joy watching them all summer.

And nearly as entertaining as watching the Orioles win is watching the Yankees and Red Sox sit at the bottom of the division with no post session. But they got paid a lot, so there's that.

Eutaw St. Aggie

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » September 25th, 2023, 1:18 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 24th, 2023, 7:12 pm
And here my Orioles sit in late September with a magic number of 3 to clinch the AL East and lock up the #1 seed for the playoffs. I did not expect this - I was thinking they were still another year away from making a series playoff push. A team full of young kids and a few vets that nobody else wanted. One of the lowest payrolls in all of MLB. It has been a joy watching them all summer.

And nearly as entertaining as watching the Orioles win is watching the Yankees and Red Sox sit at the bottom of the division with no post session. But they got paid a lot, so there's that.
Cheering for Baltimore and Seattle

Not sent from Tapatalk

Bluened
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bluened » September 25th, 2023, 10:06 pm

trevordude wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Cheering for Seattle as well….but after a great August they are falling apart. Go Twins!!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » September 27th, 2023, 12:15 pm

Bluened wrote:
September 25th, 2023, 10:06 pm
trevordude wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Cheering for Seattle as well….but after a great August they are falling apart. Go Twins!!

I have been spoiled. I have been a St. Louis Cardinals fan since 1956. They have been in the playoffs much more than not, and have more World Series victories of any other National League team. This year was one with way too many injuries and we couldn’t compete.
Better luck next year!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 28th, 2023, 7:17 pm

A.L. EAST CHAMPIONS!!!

100 losses 2 years ago. 100 wins this year. It's been a fun ride. Any win in the post session is just gravy.

Eutaw St. Aggie

cval

Post by cval » September 28th, 2023, 7:25 pm

Best thing about it is the tears of the Yankee and Red Sox fans.😀

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 28th, 2023, 7:27 pm

cval wrote:
September 28th, 2023, 7:25 pm
Best thing about it is the tears of the Yankee and Red Sox fans.😀
And ESPN. That network is convinced MLB is a 2 team league.
cval

Eutaw St. Aggie

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » September 29th, 2023, 7:42 am

Yossarian wrote:
September 28th, 2023, 7:17 pm
A.L. EAST CHAMPIONS!!!

100 losses 2 years ago. 100 wins this year. It's been a fun ride. Any win in the post session is just gravy.
Congrats to the Birds! It's always fun to see a team built with its own draftees beat down the big money bullies in the AL East. Amazing that the Orioles, low-budget Rays and (likely) Jays will make the playoffs while the Yanks and Sox stay home.

Me, I'm just hoping that the Astros' late season slump is over, we end up with a little momentum and catch one of the last two wild cards, and that we see an all-orange ALCS in a couple of weeks.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 29th, 2023, 3:06 pm

OKAggie wrote:
September 29th, 2023, 7:42 am
Yossarian wrote:
September 28th, 2023, 7:17 pm
A.L. EAST CHAMPIONS!!!

Congrats to the Birds! It's always fun to see a team built with its own draftees beat down the big money bullies in the AL East. Amazing that the Orioles, low-budget Rays and (likely) Jays will make the playoffs while the Yanks and Sox stay home.

Me, I'm just hoping that the Astros' late season slump is over, we end up with a little momentum and catch one of the last two wild cards, and that we see an all-orange ALCS in a couple of weeks.
I'm looking forward to the playoffs.

I just want to say suck it to people like this know-nothing and Buster Olney

sam tingey

Eutaw St. Aggie

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 10th, 2023, 10:31 pm

Tough end to a great season for the O's. It's always a satisfying season when both the Yankees and Red Sox stay home, and with their youthful roster the O's might have some staying power. I do think they could use a little veteran leadership.

But the vaunted AL East went 0-7 in the playoffs. Baseball can be weird like that.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 11th, 2023, 1:36 am

OKAggie wrote:
October 10th, 2023, 10:31 pm
Tough end to a great season for the O's. It's always a satisfying season when both the Yankees and Red Sox stay home, and with their youthful roster the O's might have some staying power. I do think they could use a little veteran leadership.

But the vaunted AL East went 0-7 in the playoffs. Baseball can be weird like that.
Yeah - certainly not the finish I was hoping for. Really only competitive in one game. Texas' bats were unstoppable. If they continue this hot hitting, they're going to win it all.

I chalk this year up as a bonus. I want expecting the O's to be competitive for at least another year. I agree, they could use a couple veteran power bars in the lineup. They have some boppers in their system, but they are young and still a couple of years from a callup. Texas is paying Seager and Semien more than the entire O's roster this year.

Oh, well. There always next year, right? This Rangers team is a likeable bunch. It will be interesting to see how far they go.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 11th, 2023, 7:51 am

It’s hard for that young successful team to break through
early. It takes time. But I think they’ll be in several ALCS in the future and win a World Series.

Angelos just needs to commit to winning. Angelos is a notorious cheapskate.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 11th, 2023, 9:31 am

It will be fun seeing all the young Orioles on the Yankees and Dodgers in a year or two. /s

Locked Previous topicNext topic