It never ceases to amaze me

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Yossarian

It never ceases to amaze me

Post by Yossarian » September 12th, 2023, 1:13 pm

Elite, world class athletes that look like fish out of water trying to do something as simple as throwing a ball

https://denversports.com/2107518/michae ... -all-time/

Did these guys not play baseball, or dodge ball, or have a snowball fight, or a dirt clod fight, or throw rocks at stuff growing up? How can elite athletes look so much like a fish out of water doing something other than a skill involved in their sport of emphasis? I played on a softball team with some basketball players when I was at USU - some of those guys looked comical trying to swing a bat or catch or throw a ball. I couldn't understand how inept they were.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Re: It never ceases to amaze me

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 12th, 2023, 3:16 pm

I saw a video of NBA players trying to spin a basketball on their finger. Many couldn't. Blew my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
aggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 12th, 2023, 4:09 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 12th, 2023, 3:16 pm
I saw a video of NBA players trying to spin a basketball on their finger. Many couldn't. Blew my mind.

That one is a little easier for me to understand because it is not so much a basketball or athletic skill as it is a parlor trick or circus act, like juggling.
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 12th, 2023, 6:43 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 12th, 2023, 4:09 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 12th, 2023, 3:16 pm

That one is a little easier for me to understand because it is not so much a basketball or athletic skill as it is a parlor trick or circus act, like juggling.
But it’s so simple and they always have a ball in their hand.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
aggies22

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 14th, 2023, 12:31 am

Guys these days are so specialized that they may not have really played baseball as a kid. But throwing a baseball off of an elevated mound, under bright lights, with tens of thousands of people watching- it isn't the easiest thing to do even if you practiced. There is just a lot of new things going on and it can be discombobulating. The distance from the mound to the plate is a lot further than people think too. If throwing a baseball isn't 2nd nature, and you're going through all the steps someone told you in preparing with all that other stuff going on- it's easy to mess up.

If I were throwing out a first pitch I would not throw from the mound and I would casually lob it in- focusing on just getting it to my "catcher". I wouldn't worry about throwing a strike, I wouldn't worry about putting a ton behind it. I'd try to embrace the casualness in order to somehow combat the pressure of doing something I haven't done in awhile in front of that many people.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 14th, 2023, 1:32 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 14th, 2023, 12:31 am
Guys these days are so specialized that they may not have really played baseball as a kid. But throwing a baseball off of an elevated mound, under bright lights, with tens of thousands of people watching- it isn't the easiest thing to do even if you practiced. There is just a lot of new things going on and it can be discombobulating. The distance from the mound to the plate is a lot further than people think too. If throwing a baseball isn't 2nd nature, and you're going through all the steps someone told you in preparing with all that other stuff going on- it's easy to mess up.

If I were throwing out a first pitch I would not throw from the mound and I would casually lob it in- focusing on just getting it to my "catcher". I wouldn't worry about throwing a strike, I wouldn't worry about putting a ton behind it. I'd try to embrace the casualness in order to somehow combat the pressure of doing something I haven't done in awhile in front of that many people.
Not me - I'd go for a circle change with some arm side run or a looping 12-6 breaking ball and make the catcher block it.
sam tingey

Eutaw St. Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 14th, 2023, 8:09 am

I'm throwing from the mound and I'm putting something into it. I'm not excellent at anything, but I'm proficient at most things.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » September 18th, 2023, 3:58 pm

NVAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2023, 8:09 am
I'm throwing from the mound and I'm putting something into it. I'm not excellent at anything, but I'm proficient at most things.
I would put myself in the same category and in standing on the mound and at least not fully lobbing it in. I'd try to pitch a strike.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 26th, 2023, 10:29 am

Yeah it is too bad Michael Porter Jr didn't put down the basketball and get in more dirt clod fights growing up.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » September 26th, 2023, 10:39 am

Still impressed by Bush's pitch after 9/11

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 26th, 2023, 10:43 am

TrueAG wrote:
September 26th, 2023, 10:39 am
Still impressed by Bush's pitch after 9/11
Bad president, but the guy could throw a baseball.

Locked Previous topicNext topic