Montana State Football

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ViAggie

Montana State Football

Post by ViAggie » October 7th, 2023, 1:20 pm

only one loss this year to the top rated Jack Rabbits of S. Dakota State by 4 points. Beat the dWebs 40-0 (the mighty utes beat them 31-7), how the hell does Montana STATE recruit so well? The Bobcats could probably be MWC champs this year :shock:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Montana State Football

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 7th, 2023, 3:36 pm

ViAggie wrote:
October 7th, 2023, 1:20 pm
only one loss this year to the top rated Jack Rabbits of S. Dakota State by 4 points. Beat the dWebs 40-0 (the mighty utes beat them 31-7), how the hell does Montana STATE recruit so well? The Bobcats could probably be MWC champs this year :shock:
Wyo, Fresno, and AFA are all probably at least borderline top 25 teams. But MSU would compete well in the MW. I think we’ve had hits and misses in recruiting. Hill stead was a steal. Royals and Vaughns could play anywhere. It’s just a matter of identifying talent that others haven’t.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
ViAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 7th, 2023, 4:24 pm

Have you been to Bozeman? Beautiful.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 7th, 2023, 7:51 pm

NVAggie wrote:
October 7th, 2023, 4:24 pm
NO I have not! I've been to Montana many times but never Helena or Bozeman

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Foolonthehill

Post by Foolonthehill » October 9th, 2023, 9:18 pm

NVAggie wrote:
    October 7th, 2023, 4:24 pm
    Is Bozeman any more beautiful than Logan? I say no. I know the answer wasn’t meant to be the end all reason to Montana State’s recruiting success but why would Bozeman’s natural wonders be a help for the Bobcats but Cache Valley isn’t a help for Utah State?

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » October 14th, 2023, 8:33 am

BozeAngeles? I have never been there when it is above 5 degrees Fahrenheit

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Hoot

Post by Hoot » October 14th, 2023, 5:54 pm

They have a better student center. The inside is much much cooler than ours and their convenience store blows ours out of the water. We have a far better book store though.

Idk if recruits care but that’s my takeaway.
    These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
    ViAggie

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » October 14th, 2023, 9:49 pm

Hoot wrote:
    October 14th, 2023, 5:54 pm
    They have a better student center. The inside is much much cooler than ours and their convenience store blows ours out of the water. We have a far better book store though.

Idk if recruits care but that’s my takeaway.
    The TSC has to be the worst stident center in the country. SLCC Taylorsville campus has a better student center than USU.

I know they have been planning to build a new student center for probably 20 years but it never seems to happen.

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » October 16th, 2023, 11:13 am

Bozeman is prettier than Logan in my opinion, and is very fast growing. It is very expensive these days with the high rate of growth. They hosted ESPN College Game Day last year and they showed very well. The football crowds, and support in both Missoula and Bozeman for Montana and Montana State are better than ours. I hate saying that, but it is true.

I would like to see both of those schools in our conference someday. I like regionality better than the coast-to-coast conference stuff we are seeing now. Especially at our level, regionality is the way to go.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 16th, 2023, 4:38 pm

Don't know if they'd compete in the MW. They might win a few games, but it is asking a lot for a program like Montana State to beat at least 7 MW teams in a season.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » October 16th, 2023, 5:31 pm

NavyBlue wrote:
    October 16th, 2023, 11:13 am
    Bozeman is prettier than Logan in my opinion, and is very fast growing. It is very expensive these days with the high rate of growth. They hosted ESPN College Game Day last year and they showed very well. The football crowds, and support in both Missoula and Bozeman for Montana and Montana State are better than ours. I hate saying that, but it is true.

I would like to see both of those schools in our conference someday. I like regionality better than the coast-to-coast conference stuff we are seeing now. Especially at our level, regionality is the way to go.
    I believe when at capacity their stadium becomes like the 6th most populated place in Montana.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » October 17th, 2023, 6:20 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
    October 16th, 2023, 4:38 pm
    Don't know if they'd compete in the MW. They might win a few games, but it is asking a lot for a program like Montana State to beat at least 7 MW teams in a season.
    Really really really hard to compete at an FBS level when your state doesn’t produce enough FBS Level Players. By my count They’ve had 3 total scholarship FBS players over the last like 4/5 years. Utah has probably had over 110 in that span. Without having a solid base to pull from it makes it harder to compete. See Wyoming, See the Colorado’s. See New Mexico.

Utah is one of the best States for producing talent per capita in the entire country. That’s a large reason why we have been so successful over the last nearly 15 years.

Montana is still too small for that. I bet I’m 15 years they will be a force though.

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » October 17th, 2023, 7:26 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
    October 17th, 2023, 6:20 am
    Really really really hard to compete at an FBS level when your state doesn’t produce enough FBS Level Players. By my count They’ve had 3 total scholarship FBS players over the last like 4/5 years. Utah has probably had over 110 in that span. Without having a solid base to pull from it makes it harder to compete. See Wyoming, See the Colorado’s. See New Mexico.

Utah is one of the best States for producing talent per capita in the entire country. That’s a large reason why we have been so successful over the last nearly 15 years.

Montana is still too small for that. I bet I’m 15 years they will be a force though.
    I think they do produce some talent that COULD play at FBS but choose to play for the in-state schools Montana and Montana State. So those players are going to be counted as "FCS talent". The only way you can say a Montana player is FBS caliber is if leaves the state to play. MSU has several players from Montana that I think would be star players in the MWC just to name a few: Tommy Mellott, and the Dowler brothers.

I grew up in Montana and I can tell you most Montana kids grow up either wanting to play for the Bobcats or the Grizzlies, not necessarily going out of state.

Honestly, when I look at our program vs. Montana and Montana State we are not light years ahead of those two. They have (or used to have, probably still do) more season ticket holders, better community and alumni support than we do and probably better attendance than we do.

Aggies1888

Post by Aggies1888 » October 17th, 2023, 7:49 am

NavyBlue wrote:
    October 17th, 2023, 7:26 am
    Bullnamed_gus wrote:

I think they do produce some talent that COULD play at FBS but choose to play for the in-state schools Montana and Montana State. So those players are going to be counted as "FCS talent". The only way you can say a Montana player is FBS caliber is if leaves the state to play. MSU has several players from Montana that I think would be star players in the MWC just to name a few: Tommy Mellott, and the Dowler brothers.

I grew up in Montana and I can tell you most Montana kids grow up either wanting to play for the Bobcats or the Grizzlies, not necessarily going out of state.

Honestly, when I look at our program vs. Montana and Montana State we are not light years ahead of those two. They have (or used to have, probably still do) more season ticket holders, better community and alumni support than we do and probably better attendance than we do.
    Montana's average attendance increased from 24,584 last year to 25,298 in 2022. Montana State's increased from 19,176 to 21,275.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » October 17th, 2023, 8:41 am

NavyBlue wrote:
    October 17th, 2023, 7:26 am
    Bullnamed_gus wrote:

According to 247 there aren’t much, if any spurning FBS offers for Montana or Montana State. So this isn’t the case at all. It’s just a fact, and it comes from the territory of being a small state. Not as many people, not as much football talent.

And Montana is growing, but so is Utah and a cache Valley. And Utah State has more students enrolled each year than Montana and Montana State combined. Sure they have fan base support but that’s because they literally have no other choice. Those schools are the major programs up there. Sort of How Boise was in their hay day.

I’m not worried about them for awhile. By the time they’re big enough to worry about yBu won’t have sports and we don’t have to worry about losing a large chunk of our potential fan base to those losers.

They’re a Wyoming level of team until Montana can produce enough talent. They definitely have a much higher ceiling than Wyoming.

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » October 17th, 2023, 8:59 am

Okay, I will defer to your knowledge. Serious question, just out of curiosity, how many students does USU have enrolled? Logan campus only? The reason I ask about Logan only is because I think that is where our fan base comes from. I doubt the small campuses around the state contribute much to our fan base.

When is BYU going to drop sports? I keep hearing they are going to since BYU-I and BYU-H did. BYU Provo seems to be investing in sports an just joined a Power league. What are the indications that BYU Provo will drop sports?

Aggies1888

Post by Aggies1888 » October 17th, 2023, 10:30 am

NavyBlue wrote:
    October 17th, 2023, 8:59 am
    Okay, I will defer to your knowledge. Serious question, just out of curiosity, how many students does USU have enrolled? Logan campus only? The reason I ask about Logan only is because I think that is where our fan base comes from. I doubt the small campuses around the state contribute much to our fan base.

When is BYU going to drop sports? I keep hearing they are going to since BYU-I and BYU-H did. BYU Provo seems to be investing in sports an just joined a Power league. What are the indications that BYU Provo will drop sports?
    I never attended on Logan campus, many of the folks in Tooele I attended with are die hard Aggie. I think the school misses on building fans from the regional campuses, TBH. The other big schools in the state, they don't have that kind of outreach. There used to be Aggie banners all up and down main Street, all are in places like vernal.

There is too much money to be made with byu-p. The others, not so much. They're not giving up that cash cow. Unless the world significantly shifts, I can't see this happening.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 24th, 2023, 7:40 pm

They got rocked by Montana. Montana looking like the top team in FCS. Crazy they barely beat Idaho State 28-20early in the year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic