POLL: Retire football to focus on bball

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.

If it were up to you, which revenue sports would continue to be sponsored at USU?

Football Only
2%
Men's Basketball Only
14%
Both Football and Men's Basketball
84%

Total votes: 87

AmericanAggie
Has thanked: 0

POLL: Retire football to focus on bball

Post by AmericanAggie » November 1st, 2023, 2:26 pm

This is in response to so many here lamenting USU's inability to compete with both the dynamics of the transfer portal and the NIL landscape. Back in the day when Stew had the Spectrum rocking and football couldn't win a game (Brent Guy won just 9 games in 4 years in 05-08), I had this same thought looking at some of the cool bball programs of the time - VCU, Wichita, and of course Gonzaga. Maybe football simply stretches us/Laubs too thin? Not to mention the liability that feels inevitable to hit someday with CTE and other things that we aren't financially prepared to manage. There's a few other truths to consider:

- byu has recently had a 100th donor eclipse the $1M total athletics donations mark all-time. We're currently at like 3 ish all-time.
- even in our conference, there are multiple programs with annual collectives with budgets over $1M for each football and bball.
- our turnover is insane due to the portal (yes performance and coaching too, but we'll always be a feeder program)

If we just had to fund a collective that pays basketball and volleyball (as it currently does), and we as fans only focus there too, would that be more sustainable and better assure high performance and outcomes?

For comparison, our enrollment and finances are similar to VCU right now, but without football we'd certainly see a change. By percent revenue, I'd still expect us to outpace UVU overall financially.

Other references:
D1 programs without football: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... l_programs
D1 income and expenses: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

918AGG

Re: POLL: Retire football to focus on bball

Post by 918AGG » November 1st, 2023, 3:17 pm

Continue to compete at our level and everything is fine in all sports.

The problem with football is that we compare ourselves with the upper-most echelons of the sport, which is way, way, way out of our league (and also way, way, way bloated in general).
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieNavyBlue

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 1st, 2023, 3:44 pm

After we've spent all that dough on facilities and such, it would be asinine to drop football.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
AggieFBObsessionGameFAQSAggieSLBStucki

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 1st, 2023, 3:52 pm

I would go all in on a competitive rowing team. They could practice at first dam. That might be the school's best shot at an NCAA title. Second choice would be boxing. I think UNR is the only other school in the area that has a boxing team - except Air Force. I think all service academies still sponsor boxing.

Eutaw St. Aggie

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » November 1st, 2023, 3:56 pm

Yossarian wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 3:52 pm
I would go all in on a competitive rowing team. They could practice at first dam. That might be the school's best shot at an NCAA title. Second choice would be boxing. I think UNR is the only other school in the area that has a boxing team - except Air Force. I think all service academies still sponsor boxing.
First dam isn't long enough, but I bet Logan City would let them use the sewer ponds.
These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post:
aggies22

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 1st, 2023, 4:00 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 3:56 pm
Yossarian wrote:
First dam isn't long enough, but I bet Logan City would let them use the sewer ponds.
Now you're thinking! There is a lot of water in the Cutler Marshes - that could be an alternative, as well.

Eutaw St. Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 1st, 2023, 4:02 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 3:56 pm
Yossarian wrote:
The square lakes!

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 1st, 2023, 4:33 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 3:44 pm
After we've spent all that dough on facilities and such, it would be asinine to drop football.
As an economist, I feel obligated to bring up the sunk cost fallacy.

But... I agree.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
aggies22

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 1st, 2023, 4:47 pm

Dropping Football is ridiculous. But I do think we should focus more on basketball.

I think we could continue to see similar results in football by continuing what we are currently doing. We keep the Dame budget and we will keep getting similar results. Which is admittedly somewhat average. Between 6 and 8 wins a year, once every 4 year or so we are competing for a conference championship. I am good with that. The problem is to elevate the football program to where we are winning 8 to 10 games a year and usually competing for conference championships, it would take a whole lot of money, like doubling our football budget. Is that worth it for an additional 2 wins a year? So keep the status quo, football is important to the university and the Athletic Department.

However, I think we could elevate the basketball program much more with less money. Setting up NIL for 15 guys and paying the coaching staff more in basketball is a much easier lift and could make us a perennial ncaa team, probably a top 25 program with runs in the ncaa tournament.

So if the athletic department had an extra million and they were trying to decide how to allocate it, spend it on basketball, while not taking away from what we're are already putting into football.

In economic terms, the marginL benefit of an extra dollar in football is probably pretty low, the marginal benefit in basketball is substantial higher.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » November 1st, 2023, 5:36 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 4:33 pm
aggies22 wrote:

But... I agree.
I always knew that I liked you.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » November 1st, 2023, 5:39 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 4:47 pm
Dropping Football is ridiculous. But I do think we should focus more on basketball.

I think we could continue to see similar results in football by continuing what we are currently doing. We keep the Dame budget and we will keep getting similar results. Which is admittedly somewhat average. Between 6 and 8 wins a year, once every 4 year or so we are competing for a conference championship. I am good with that. The problem is to elevate the football program to where we are winning 8 to 10 games a year and usually competing for conference championships, it would take a whole lot of money, like doubling our football budget. Is that worth it for an additional 2 wins a year? So keep the status quo, football is important to the university and the Athletic Department.

However, I think we could elevate the basketball program much more with less money. Setting up NIL for 15 guys and paying the coaching staff more in basketball is a much easier lift and could make us a perennial ncaa team, probably a top 25 program with runs in the ncaa tournament.

So if the athletic department had an extra million and they were trying to decide how to allocate it, spend it on basketball, while not taking away from what we're are already putting into football.

In economic terms, the marginL benefit of an extra dollar in football is probably pretty low, the marginal benefit in basketball is substantial higher.
I feel this same way about WBB, WSOC, and WVB. A few thousand dollars to football won’t change anything, but a few thousand dollars and some elbow grease to WSOC could change everything.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
LarryTheAggie

AmericanAggie

Post by AmericanAggie » November 1st, 2023, 7:51 pm

Gotta say I'm really surprised so far, given how many don't think we can or will be able to compete with the NIL and portal stuff. I love the football legacy as much as anyone but I just feel like the competitive landscape isn't gonna get better. The portal and money in play just increase the gap between the haves and have nots, and we are definitely have nots in the money space. That and I'd rather have an awesome basketball program than meh basketball and football programs.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 1st, 2023, 8:11 pm

AmericanAggie wrote:Gotta say I'm really surprised so far, given how many don't think we can or will be able to compete with the NIL and portal stuff. I love the football legacy as much as anyone but I just feel like the competitive landscape isn't gonna get better. The portal and money in play just increase the gap between the haves and have nots, and we are definitely have nots in the money space. That and I'd rather have an awesome basketball program than meh basketball and football programs.
We haven't won a tournament game in two decades. We've come closer to major football success than basketball in that time I'd argue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22FoolonthehillNavyBlue

CodingAggieBlue

Post by CodingAggieBlue » November 1st, 2023, 8:35 pm

The transfer portal creates a challenge, but it seems like a fair system to me. The real problem right now is that the NIL rules became a way to funnel an unlimited amount of non-NIL money to players. That puts all but the richest of schools in a disadvantageous position for all money-making sports.

I don't think that the NIL situation, or the insane TV contracts fueling it, will be sustainable for very long. I think the way college athletics works will be completely different in 5-10 years. If we can hold on long enough, then keeping both sports is the right answer. You don't have to be competitive during that time. You just have to stay alive.

If budget balancing truly forces you to make a change, then moving football to FCS is probably your only option. Completely getting rid of either sport is a mistake. The cost to restart it is prohibitively high. You'll never be able to undo that decision.
These users thanked the author CodingAggieBlue for the post:
vegasaggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 1st, 2023, 9:20 pm

Even without doing the "focus on bball thing", We already have a basketball roster full of kids who can't leave after this season cause of having already used their one transfer. We have a good share of football players who can't leave having used their one transfer, and with time putting more emphasis on transfers and less on high schoolers, can get it to be a bigger and bigger portion of the roster.

One thing that can also be done in basketball is putting more focus on international kids who lack the ability to collect NIL money not being a citizen. There is some speculation that we wouldn't have been able to hold on to Queta under the current rules, but we actually would have been cause he wouldn't be able to collect money.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 1st, 2023, 9:23 pm

CodingAggieBlue wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 8:35 pm
If budget balancing truly forces you to make a change, then moving football to FCS is probably your only option. Completely getting rid of either sport is a mistake. The cost to restart it is prohibitively high. You'll never be able to undo that decision.
You don't drop to the current FCS as it is right now. You wait for the top 40 schools to break away as the new FBS, then join FCS with the other G5 schools when that becomes the new FCS, rather than dropping to the current FCS which would be the new D2 after G5 becomes the new FCS.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post (total 2):
CodingAggieBlueNavyBlue

CodingAggieBlue

Post by CodingAggieBlue » November 1st, 2023, 9:40 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 9:23 pm
CodingAggieBlue wrote:
You don't drop to the current FCS as it is right now. You wait for the top 40 schools to break away as the new FBS, then join FCS with the other G5 schools when that becomes the new FCS, rather than dropping to the current FCS which would be the new D2 after G5 becomes the new FCS.
100% agree. That seems to be where things are headed. I'd love to be in that Top 40 group. But if the fall of the PAC has taught us anything, it's that some of the "power" schools ahead of us are also in the "have not" group.

We hold on as long as we can. If we can wait it out, we'll end up in a newly formed middle tier of Division 1 college football. It's more or less where we are right now. However, the cost of competing becomes lower, since we'll have been kicked out of the FBS arms race.
These users thanked the author CodingAggieBlue for the post:
vegasaggie

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » November 1st, 2023, 10:19 pm

CodingAggieBlue wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 9:40 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 9:23 pm
CodingAggieBlue wrote:
100% agree. That seems to be where things are headed. I'd love to be in that Top 40 group. But if the fall of the PAC has taught us anything, it's that some of the "power" schools ahead of us are also in the "have not" group.

We hold on as long as we can. If we can wait it out, we'll end up in a newly formed middle tier of Division 1 college football. It's more or less where we are right now. However, the cost of competing becomes lower, since we'll have been kicked out of the FBS arms race.
Exactly. We’ll be wherever Boise and SDSU are, so I typically don’t worry too much about it. There’s a market for football on TV, there are alumni who want to come to the games, and there are talented athletes who want to play for scholarships, so we’ll continue to exist in perpetuity. What that looks like, exactly, is the only question.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 2):
CodingAggieBluevegasaggie

SLB

Post by SLB » November 1st, 2023, 10:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Some on this board have a narrative on this board about taking eliminating football.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 2nd, 2023, 7:30 am

918AGG wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 5:36 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 1st, 2023, 4:33 pm
aggies22 wrote:

But... I agree.
I always knew that I liked you.
Are you guys gonna kiss?

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

AmericanAggie

Post by AmericanAggie » January 6th, 2024, 11:45 pm

Now really, if all resources went into bball and we forever and always had a top tier bball program and game environment like that, wouldn't that be awesome? Gonzaga has a good thing going, and I doubt they've even considered football in the past decades. Not to mention the possible NCAA changes that could really make football challenging at a top level. Focus on basketball because we can actually have a chance to be relevant and matter there. If given the choice, would you rather have a perennial top bball team in the country, or both football and basketball that never get beyond a mid major vibe?

Or is this just crazy talk?

Foolonthehill

Post by Foolonthehill » January 7th, 2024, 11:20 am

What would be the end goal? National attention? Consistent electric environments? The chance to win a national championship? I agree that Gonzaga has a good thing, but outside of Spokane I don’t think anyone really cares about Gonzaga basketball. The only basketball programs getting any kind of national attention are the dominant blue bloods. It would be fun to have a consistent top program but I don’t think you can drop football. Football drives interest and exposure. It also has the potential to generate more revenue.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 7th, 2024, 1:28 pm

Football drives the bus

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 7th, 2024, 1:39 pm

AmericanAggie wrote:
January 6th, 2024, 11:45 pm
Now really, if all resources went into bball and we forever and always had a top tier bball program and game environment like that, wouldn't that be awesome? Gonzaga has a good thing going, and I doubt they've even considered football in the past decades. Not to mention the possible NCAA changes that could really make football challenging at a top level. Focus on basketball because we can actually have a chance to be relevant and matter there. If given the choice, would you rather have a perennial top bball team in the country, or both football and basketball that never get beyond a mid major vibe?

Or is this just crazy talk?
Yes, that is crazy talk. Please just stop. We will have the resources to have an incredibly successful basketball program with football too. Dropping football would handicap the basketball program more than help it. We would be back in a garbage 1 bud league. Frankly, this is just a plain dumb idea.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggievegasaggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 7th, 2024, 1:40 pm

Foolonthehill wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 11:20 am
What would be the end goal? National attention? Consistent electric environments? The chance to win a national championship? I agree that Gonzaga has a good thing, but outside of Spokane I don’t think anyone really cares about Gonzaga basketball. The only basketball programs getting any kind of national attention are the dominant blue bloods. It would be fun to have a consistent top program but I don’t think you can drop football. Football drives interest and exposure. It also has the potential to generate more revenue.
We can do all of these things today

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » January 7th, 2024, 1:56 pm

Gonzaga is a one of one. This was a 25 year process to get them where they are. Retiring football won't change anything, could potentially make it worse. Best case is we become Saint Mary's.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionAggie formerly in Hawaii

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 7th, 2024, 4:06 pm

I believe that the transfer portal issue will work itself out once all of the Covid year players are graduated and out of the system.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
greggers1868

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 7th, 2024, 5:31 pm

TrueAG wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 1:56 pm
Gonzaga is a one of one. This was a 25 year process to get them where they are. Retiring football won't change anything, could potentially make it worse. Best case is we become Saint Mary's.
Yep, no guarantee that getting rid of football helps the basketball program, and it would hurt our overall athletic department and take us down a level in collegiate athletics. How good would our basketball program need to be to offset not having football for future conference realignment?

Beyond that, I love Aggie football. I went to the Potato Bowl and froze my arse off in the freezing cold for a 6-6 team. To give up Aggie football, I would at minimum need us to have Gonzaga level results and probably much better than that. We'd need to become a regular national title contender that is constantly making deep tourney runs for me to even contemplate it being worth it to give up football and possibly not even then.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
vegasaggie

Foolonthehill

Post by Foolonthehill » January 7th, 2024, 7:00 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
    January 7th, 2024, 5:31 pm
    TrueAG wrote:
    January 7th, 2024, 1:56 pm
    Yep, no guarantee that getting rid of football helps the basketball program, and it would hurt our overall athletic department and take us down a level in collegiate athletics. How good would our basketball program need to be to offset not having football for future conference realignment?

Beyond that, I love Aggie football. I went to the Potato Bowl and froze my arse off in the freezing cold for a 6-6 team. To give up Aggie football, I would at minimum need us to have Gonzaga level results and probably much better than that. We'd need to become a regular national title contender that is constantly making deep tourney runs for me to even contemplate it being worth it to give up football and possibly not even then.
    Same for me. I also went to the Potato Bowl. I’m into football too much to dump it. I’d have to have a guarantee of Kansas and North Carolina level success to even think about getting rid of football.
    These users thanked the author Foolonthehill for the post:
    Aggie formerly in Hawaii

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » January 7th, 2024, 7:17 pm

Getting rid of football would have a huge detrimental effect on the athletic department as a whole, so this whole conversation is a complete nonstarter. If our athletic budget is $25 mil/year, it’s not like getting rid of football means that you then have all that football expenditure to suddenly just give to men’s basketball. You’re just lopping that $$ amount off the budget and then also killing a large amount of donations to the athletic department as well.
    These users thanked the author greggers1868 for the post (total 4):
    LarryTheAggieAggie formerly in HawaiiCacheCowvegasaggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic