Collegiate Pickleball

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
utaggies

Collegiate Pickleball

Post by utaggies » November 4th, 2023, 10:21 pm

I found this interesting. Today after a morning of playing pickleball I spoke with a very talented player. She and her partner had just cleaned the clocks of me and my partner. She’s on the professional circuit but also plays for the Utah Tech team that’s heading to the national championships this week. She said that her team is ranked #1 in the nation but that other Utah schools are also highly ranked. When I got home I looked the rankings up. To my surprise I saw that Utah Tech is ranked #1, Utah Valley is ranked #4, Utah State is ranked #6 and Utah is ranked #11. I knew PB was huge in Utah but I had no idea about the calibar of play at Utah’s colleges.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Collegiate Pickleball

Post by brownjeans » November 4th, 2023, 10:31 pm

Pickleball killed Chandler, and is making orthopedic surgeons rich.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
aggies22

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » November 4th, 2023, 11:07 pm

brownjeans wrote:
November 4th, 2023, 10:31 pm
Pickleball killed Chandler, and is making orthopedic surgeons rich.
Too soon…
These users thanked the author MalAgua for the post:
sstrasser

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 4th, 2023, 11:14 pm

It's fun to see these "other" sports gain in popularity. Flag football will debut as an Olympic sport in the 2028 Olympics. I enjoy watching the ultimate frisbee, cricket, rugby, and other leagues. There are phenomenal athletes and skilled competitors in other sports that don't get all of the attention..

Eutaw St. Aggie

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 5th, 2023, 7:48 am

Pickleball is entertaining at the local level because you get to see out of shape middle aged people take it way too seriously and get really angry.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
trevordude

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 5th, 2023, 7:55 am

USU destroyed Utah in a match at the Picklr two weeks ago. I was talking to one of the players and he thinks it’s only a matter of time before pickleball becomes a sanctioned D1 sport.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
aggies22

Showing my True Colors since 2022

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » November 5th, 2023, 8:42 am

Hoot wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 7:48 am
Pickleball is entertaining at the local level because you get to see out of shape middle aged people take it way too seriously and get really angry.
what church basketball used to be
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
aggies22

shoresy

Post by shoresy » November 5th, 2023, 10:36 am

rAggie wrote:USU destroyed Utah in a match at the Picklr two weeks ago. I was talking to one of the players and he thinks it’s only a matter of time before pickleball becomes a sanctioned D1 sport.
lol of course he thought that
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
aggieborn

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 5th, 2023, 1:24 pm

Wife tried it once and wrecked her knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 5th, 2023, 4:10 pm

sam tingey wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 8:42 am
Hoot wrote:
It’s always funny to me that everyone had that same experience. I’ve never heard of a single instance that didn’t involve someone raging.

Actually I played with a guy who claimed we had a chill game but in reality he was the one who was raging.
aggies22

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 5th, 2023, 7:51 pm

Hoot wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 4:10 pm
sam tingey wrote:
Hoot wrote:
It’s always funny to me that everyone had that same experience. I’ve never heard of a single instance that didn’t involve someone raging.

Actually I played with a guy who claimed we had a chill game but in reality he was the one who was raging.
You must be running with a different PB crowd than I am. I’ve never seen a single instance of anything approaching rage on a PB court and I play a lot of PB. I’ve heard a story about the husband of a friend who got out of hand but never witnessed it myself. Golf? Absolutely. Church basketball and softball? Undoubtedly.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 2):
aggies22Reckoner

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 5th, 2023, 8:41 pm

utaggies wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 7:51 pm
Hoot wrote:
sam tingey wrote:
Hoot wrote:

You must be running with a different PB crowd than I am. I’ve never seen a single instance of anything approaching rage on a PB court and I play a lot of PB. I’ve heard a story about the husband of a friend who got out of hand but never witnessed it myself. Golf? Absolutely. Church basketball and softball? Undoubtedly.
There is always one. Most of the time there’s more but there’s never less. If you haven’t witnessed anyone else being that guy then I may have some bad news for you.
sam tingey

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 5th, 2023, 9:24 pm

Hoot wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 8:41 pm
utaggies wrote:
Hoot wrote:
sam tingey wrote:
Hoot wrote:

There is always one. Most of the time there’s more but there’s never less. If you haven’t witnessed anyone else being that guy then I may have some bad news for you.
Out of curiosity what are these players raging about? The play of their partners; cheating by their opponent; aggrivation at their own play? Are these testosterone-laden guys or older players? Are they raging in tournaments or rec. play?

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 6th, 2023, 7:56 am

utaggies wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 9:24 pm
Hoot wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 8:41 pm
utaggies wrote:
Hoot wrote:
sam tingey wrote:
Hoot wrote:

Out of curiosity what are these players raging about? The play of their partners; cheating by their opponent; aggrivation at their own play? Are these testosterone-laden guys or older players? Are they raging in tournaments or rec. play?
I’ve never been to a tournament but yes to all the rest. The first time I played was with my wife and in-laws and they refused to explain the rules then got really mad when we didn’t know what to do. We played for maybe five minutes but it was getting too toxic so we pretended our daughter needed something and left.

My father in law still gets upset whenever the game is mentioned and it completely ruined my relationship with my mother in law which was just fine beforehand. They’re bsu fans though so what can you expect really?

After that we watched two old guys almost come to blows and a guy scream at his girlfriend for missing the ball. Then he got mad at her for crying. He was then accosted by a crowd of angry bystanders. We’ve gone on walks past a nearby pickleball court many times and when there’s people playing there’s always people arguing over the rules or spiking rackets into the ground.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » November 6th, 2023, 7:56 am

One of my mission companions started the pickleball club at Utah Tech and is the coach, manager, and a player. Not sure how eligibility works for pickleball because he is at least thirty and been in school for like 6 years :lol:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 6th, 2023, 8:23 am

We have played it a lot and had fun. I like to play with people that just laugh when something goes wrong. The serious pickleballers are just funny to me.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » November 6th, 2023, 8:57 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 8:23 am
We have played it a lot and had fun. I like to play with people that just laugh when something goes wrong. The serious pickleballers are just funny to me.
Have you ever watched a professional mini-golf tournament? I saw one on ESPN once and that was funny.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 6th, 2023, 9:13 am

I actually saw one on Youtube recently. I agree, very funny.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » November 6th, 2023, 9:34 am

tysteve20 wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 7:56 am
One of my mission companions started the pickleball club at Utah Tech and is the coach, manager, and a player. Not sure how eligibility works for pickleball because he is at least thirty and been in school for like 6 years :lol:
This reminds me of the UVSC (yes, it was that long ago) volleyball player who played for at least 10 years. As an intercollegiate club sport, you could play as long as you were taking enough credits to qualify. It was a player for Washington State I got to know who pointed it out, saying both he and the UVSC guy started playing the same year. But the difference was the WSU guy was nearly done with his PhD while the UVSC guy still didn't have a bachelors.

cval

Post by cval » November 6th, 2023, 12:04 pm

Played for two hours this morning.Nobody got mad 😀
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
sam tingey

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 7th, 2023, 12:45 pm

Lmaooooo I play in two pickleball leagues weekly at The Picklr and have never seen anyone approach anger, period. The vibes are incredibly good.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 9th, 2023, 7:55 am

rAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 12:45 pm
Lmaooooo I play in two pickleball leagues weekly at The Picklr and have never seen anyone approach anger, period. The vibes are incredibly good.
I saw someone rage quit, throw his racket and curse out his partner which appeared to be his spouse the last time I played somewhere with multiple pickleball courts. It was quite the scene.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 13th, 2023, 4:25 am

Regulator of Class

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 13th, 2023, 12:30 pm

coolag wrote:
November 13th, 2023, 4:25 am
CoolAg on a pickleball court. That could lead to some anger.

Locked Previous topicNext topic