NFL refs are a joke

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Section_L_Aggie

NFL refs are a joke

Post by Section_L_Aggie » December 30th, 2023, 9:58 pm

My Lions play to win. And so do the refs. Got totally screwed because an official “didn’t hear” a lineman report as eligible.

And of course it happens in Dallas.

Why are refs sooooooo bad at what they do? Or so good at cheating?
These users thanked the author Section_L_Aggie for the post:
NEAggie

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

nelsentheaggie

Re: NFL refs are a joke

Post by nelsentheaggie » December 31st, 2023, 8:05 am

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
December 30th, 2023, 9:58 pm
My Lions play to win. And so do the refs. Got totally screwed because an official “didn’t hear” a lineman report as eligible.

That was so infuriating. I’m not a Lions fan but I am anti-Cowboys so I understand the frustration. I usually want to say don’t blame the refs because you shouldn’t put yourself in situation where you’re dependent on the officiating to decide the game; and while that’s certainly true to an extent (Lions should’ve kicked the field goal earlier instead of going for it on 4th), the refs got this so blatantly wrong.
These users thanked the author nelsentheaggie for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 31st, 2023, 8:38 am

nelsentheaggie wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 8:05 am
Section_L_Aggie wrote:

That was so infuriating. I’m not a Lions fan but I am anti-Cowboys so I understand the frustration. I usually want to say don’t blame the refs because you shouldn’t put yourself in situation where you’re dependent on the officiating to decide the game; and while that’s certainly true to an extent (Lions should’ve kicked the field goal earlier instead of going for it on 4th), the refs got this so blatantly wrong.
The missed PI on that final drive was wild too.

nelsentheaggie

Post by nelsentheaggie » December 31st, 2023, 9:15 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 8:38 am
nelsentheaggie wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:

Yeah I remember seeing that and saying something to the TV about how that was definitely PI. Ironically the same crew that worked the Packers/chiefs game where there was blatant PI (and I hate the Chiefs, but they had a serious case that it should’ve been PI).

Hoot

Post by Hoot » December 31st, 2023, 9:16 am

That was horrid. I’ve always loved the Packers and Jags but I pull for the Lions when they’re not playing either of those teams, plus Mark Brunell is there. I wish the Aggies had him.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Donman

Post by Donman » December 31st, 2023, 11:19 am

Go Cowboys!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Donman for the post:
tysteve20

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 31st, 2023, 11:53 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
nelsentheaggie wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:

This was called as tripping on the Cowboys instead of the lions. Had they gotten this call correct, the lions wouldn't have gotten the ball back Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
tysteve20

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 31st, 2023, 11:59 am

The thing I can't figure out is:
1) why did number 70 go to the ref if he wasn't declaring eligible?

You can't "pretend" to report to trick the other team because the ref announces it over the PA and the defense. If they did this to be tricky as a lot of fans and media are saying, we'll....guess what you tricked yourself. You tried to make it unclear who was actually eligible and you succeeded.

2) when the ref announced that number 70 is eligible, with 25 seconds on the play clock, nobody corrected him. Coaches didn't say anything, qb didn't clarify, nada. Why not?

The narrative that the refs did this to help the Cowboys is so totally devoid of any reason. He clearly says 70 is eligible over the PA before the play. That means Dallas is not going to cover 68. Had he said 68, Dallas would have covered him. The refs can't just pick up the flag and say the two point conversion is good because 68 reported because he was not announced as eligible.

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » December 31st, 2023, 12:34 pm

Agree to disagree.

Skipper said he didn’t report as eligible. Decker said he did. The referee chose to hear what he heard.

Once the player tells the official he reported he’s going to focus on the upcoming play. It’s not his job to listen to the PA to make sure it’s correct. Also, the Lions had no timeouts so how are they going to alert the stupid officials that they announced the wrong number?

Defending the refs by saying they don’t help certain teams in the NFL is devoid of any reason. They do. It was in Dallas when Jimmie Johnson was inducted into their ring of honor. If there was any way to help them win, the officials were going to take it. Money talks.

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » December 31st, 2023, 1:23 pm

I’m a Lions fan, and it’s obvious that the refs screwed up. The NFL has now downgraded this officiating crew for the playoffs. I don’t think it’s a general conspiracy to give the win to the cowboys; I think this crew just sucked and blew this call. It’s been broken down more than the Zapruder film that Decker clearly went up to the official and 70 was nowhere close. The official just screwed up the numbers.
These users thanked the author greggers1868 for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieAGinNEIowa

Donman

Post by Donman » December 31st, 2023, 1:38 pm

The refs messed up on a tripping call when Dallas had the ball on previous series. They make the right call and Detroit never gets the ball.

Also the commentators pointed out illegal formations on Detroit.

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » December 31st, 2023, 1:53 pm

This guy, who I would presume to know more than you or I, would disagree
These users thanked the author greggers1868 for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » December 31st, 2023, 1:59 pm

Annnnnd of course the Eagles lose today. Lions should be solidly in the #2 seed. But cheating/incompetence/curse of xyz prevented that.

THAT'S why this is such a big deal. Detroit should have home field for at least 2 playoff rounds. The fix is in for certain teams in the NFL. If one can't see that then I don't know how to help them.

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » December 31st, 2023, 2:10 pm

Donman wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 1:38 pm
The refs messed up on a tripping call when Dallas had the ball on previous series. They make the right call and Detroit never gets the ball.

They did miss the trip for sure. That's more of a judgement call in the run of play though than a lineman walking over to you and saying "hey, I'm reporting as eligible." I'm gonna say one was MUCH worse than the other.

The commentators are dumb as (I can't express myself without swearing)! Joe Buck needs to go away and Aikman is a Cowboy. Their games are much more enjoyable when they are muted.

bpd

Post by bpd » December 31st, 2023, 3:48 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 1:59 pm
Annnnnd of course the Eagles lose today. Lions should be solidly in the #2 seed. But cheating/incompetence/curse of xyz prevented that.

THAT'S why this is such a big deal. Detroit should have home field for at least 2 playoff rounds. The fix is in for certain teams in the NFL. If one can't see that then I don't know how to help them.

Again, the tripping call was missed. I’m not going to provide the link, but it is on espn front page. So did they miss the call on the two point? Probably. But that never happens if they get the tripping call right. So, the right team won..

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 31st, 2023, 4:45 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:Agree to disagree.

Skipper said he didn’t report as eligible. Decker said he did. The referee chose to hear what he heard.

Once the player tells the official he reported he’s going to focus on the upcoming play. It’s not his job to listen to the PA to make sure it’s correct. Also, the Lions had no timeouts so how are they going to alert the stupid officials that they announced the wrong number?

Defending the refs by saying they don’t help certain teams in the NFL is devoid of any reason. They do. It was in Dallas when Jimmie Johnson was inducted into their ring of honor. If there was any way to help them win, the officials were going to take it. Money talks.
I just don't believe in conspiracy theories that the nfl would open itself up to crippling criminal and financial penalties to make the Cowboys win a regular season game because a coach from the 90s had his name added to the banner. I think the suggestion is just so absolutely illogical. Especially considering they messed up the tripping call that I posted; if the refs wanted Dallas to win they could have just called the tripping on the lions or not thrown a flag at all.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 31st, 2023, 4:46 pm

greggers1868 wrote:I’m a Lions fan, and it’s obvious that the refs screwed up. The NFL has now downgraded this officiating crew for the playoffs. I don’t think it’s a general conspiracy to give the win to the cowboys; I think this crew just sucked and blew this call. It’s been broken down more than the Zapruder film that Decker clearly went up to the official and 70 was nowhere close. The official just screwed up the numbers.
100%

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » December 31st, 2023, 4:47 pm

bpd wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 3:48 pm
Section_L_Aggie wrote:

Again, the tripping call was missed. I’m not going to provide the link, but it is on espn front page. So did they miss the call on the two point? Probably. But that never happens if they get the tripping call right. So, the right team won..
Apples to oranges. Also the league had to get that out quickly to try and save face. Don't worry that there was a holding call there too that they missed. Even so, Dallas didn't have to throw it on 3 straight plays. They could've run the ball but chose to save Detroit a bunch of time with an incomplete pass.

If they just would say yes, we messed up and the 2 point conversion should've counted, I'd be a lot less upset.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 31st, 2023, 4:49 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
Donman wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 1:38 pm

They did miss the trip for sure. That's more of a judgement call in the run of play though than a lineman walking over to you and saying "hey, I'm reporting as eligible." I'm gonna say one was MUCH worse than the other.

The commentators are dumb as (I can't express myself without swearing)! Joe Buck needs to go away and Aikman is a Cowboy. Their games are much more enjoyable when they are muted.
So you think the refs did it on purpose. That means they announced number 70 on purpose before the play even began, knowing it would be complete to an offensive lineman and they could throw the flag and their master plan would finally come to fruition of the lions......having the ball to try again or kick a PAT but five yards further back. So clever.

Or they made a mistake. But that first one is definitely the more likely one.

AGinNEIowa

QuackAttackAggie

NFL refs are a joke

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 31st, 2023, 4:50 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
bpd wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 3:48 pm
Section_L_Aggie wrote:

Apples to oranges. Also the league had to get that out quickly to try and save face. Don't worry that there was a holding call there too that they missed. Even so, Dallas didn't have to throw it on 3 straight plays. They could've run the ball but chose to save Detroit a bunch of time with an incomplete pass.

If they just would say yes, we messed up and the 2 point conversion should've counted, I'd be a lot less upset.
Dallas didn't have to throw it three times. Lions didn't have to go for two. And January six was planned by Israel to free epstein from a pizza restaurant!

The two point conversion could NOT count. They can't announce 70, then say oh we should have said 68 so Dallas guarded 70 not 68 but we're just going to give it to the lions anyway.

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » December 31st, 2023, 4:56 pm

Why should the mistake of the officials penalize the team who executed the play correctly?

I suppose they could say we messed up on the number of the player in question. This can't be rescinded but we made a mistake that adversely affected Detroit.

And don't be too sure that Dallas would've guarded Decker. I get that you're a Cowboys fan but they could've been tricked by the play.

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » December 31st, 2023, 4:59 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 4:45 pm

I just don't believe in conspiracy theories that the nfl would open itself up to crippling criminal and financial penalties to make the Cowboys win a regular season game because a coach from the 90s had his name added to the banner. I think the suggestion is just so absolutely illogical. Especially considering they messed up the tripping call that I posted; if the refs wanted Dallas to win they could have just called the tripping on the lions or not thrown a flag at all.

How is the nfl going to be penalized? Who is going to do the penalizing? The amount of money that league rakes in is obscene and there is no accountability. They did mess up the tripping call by not also calling holding on Hendershot.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 31st, 2023, 5:00 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:Why should the mistake of the officials penalize the team who executed the play correctly?

I suppose they could say we messed up on the number of the player in question. This can't be rescinded but we made a mistake that adversely affected Detroit.

And don't be too sure that Dallas would've guarded Decker. I get that you're a Cowboys fan but they could've been tricked by the play.
They should say that. That's what happened. But the ref after the game seemed to believe he was told 70 was reporting so he defended what happened. NFL seems to have reviewed it and disagreed since they downgraded the crew.

Section_L_Aggie

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 31st, 2023, 5:02 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

How is the nfl going to be penalized? Who is going to do the penalizing? The amount of money that league rakes in is obscene and there is no accountability. They did mess up the tripping call by not also calling holding on Hendershot.
If the NFL is rigging games as blatantly as you suggest, they're in violation of all kinds of criminal and civil laws especially with how much they promote sports betting now. The NFL has plenty of money but nobody is taking that risk to help the Dallas Cowboys win one game (but apparently not any of the others they lost?)

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » December 31st, 2023, 5:09 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 5:02 pm
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

If the NFL is rigging games as blatantly as you suggest, they're in violation of all kinds of criminal and civil laws especially with how much they promote sports betting now. The NFL has plenty of money but nobody is taking that risk to help the Dallas Cowboys win one game (but apparently not any of the others they lost?)

In the playoff picture it helped them tons. They were on the verge of another wild card round and early exit. Their owner and brand have plenty of influence and money.

Anything sketchy that happens with/for the Cowboys, Packers and Chiefs these days makes me wonder. I suppose I'm more cynical than some. Up until the last few years you could've had the Patriots in place of the Chiefs on that list. And not so much the Packers now that Rodgers is gone.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » December 31st, 2023, 8:52 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 5:09 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
December 31st, 2023, 5:02 pm
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

In the playoff picture it helped them tons. They were on the verge of another wild card round and early exit. Their owner and brand have plenty of influence and money.

Anything sketchy that happens with/for the Cowboys, Packers and Chiefs these days makes me wonder. I suppose I'm more cynical than some. Up until the last few years you could've had the Patriots in place of the Chiefs on that list. And not so much the Packers now that Rodgers is gone.
I agree with that bit about the petriots. Myles Jack was not down!

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic