FSUs cope is annoying

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Imakeitrain

FSUs cope is annoying

Post by Imakeitrain » January 1st, 2024, 6:34 pm

Claiming you didn’t try and let your opponent win is bad sportsmanship. Ohio State had opt outs when they played Utah and went out and fought.

It’s such a terrible argument that your guys chose not to stick around especially when you’re a blue blood.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
AggieFBObsession

gwaggie
Has thanked: 0

Re: FSUs cope is annoying

Post by gwaggie » January 2nd, 2024, 8:19 am

I agree. Even with all of their healthy players they wouldn’t have stood a chance. They almost lost to 5-7 Florida you think they’d compete with Georgia or any of the teams in the playoff? If they had Travis it’s a totally different story.

I hate opting out of bowl games. Don’t play if you have an injury, and if you tweak something in the game then take the rest of the game off, but to just not play at all just doesn’t sit well with me.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 2nd, 2024, 9:02 am

gwaggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2024, 8:19 am
I agree. Even with all of their healthy players they wouldn’t have stood a chance. They almost lost to 5-7 Florida you think they’d compete with Georgia or any of the teams in the playoff? If they had Travis it’s a totally different story.
Alabama almost lost to a .500 Auburn team that had just had their asses kicked by NMSU. The SEC as a whole did very poor in OOC play. If they wanted the 4 best teams in the playoff then I still believe that Georgia was a better team than Alabama this year. They just happened to lose the 1 game they couldn't afford to lose.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 3):
NowhereLandAggie3rdGenAggieCastIronAggie

gwaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by gwaggie » January 2nd, 2024, 9:03 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
gwaggie wrote:
Alabama almost lost to a .500 Auburn team that had just had their asses kicked by NMSU. The SEC as a whole did very poor in OOC play. If they wanted the 4 best teams in the playoff then I still believe that Georgia was a better team than Alabama this year. They just happened to lose the 1 game they couldn't afford to lose.
That’s true, Georgia was definitely better this year but they lost the big one

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 2nd, 2024, 1:34 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2024, 9:02 am
gwaggie wrote:
Georgia can make that argument because they showed up instead of having 5th rounders to UDFAs opt out.

I understand opt outs for guys like Keon Coleman. Even then only sorta. Keon Coleman fizzled the last month or so of the season. But some of those opt outs may not even be drafted. They quit on their team and wasted their opportunity.

If they showed up or put up a respectable performance fsu would have an argument. But they didn’t.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 4th, 2024, 3:11 pm

If I was a GM in the NFL I would downgrade every FSU player that opted out of that bowl game by 15 spots in the draft. They are quitters. I want the guy who wants to show everyone that they got screwed and show the committee they were wrong. I don't want the guy who things didn't go his way so he goes and mopes in the corner. The same FSU guys who didn't play in the bowl are the same ones who will give up in a game because they got a penalty they didn't think was fair, or the other team wasn't called for a penalty they thought should be called, or they were lucky, etc, etc... Add that to the list of reasons why I'm not a GM but I wouldn't want any of those quitters on my favorite NFL team.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 4th, 2024, 4:55 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
January 4th, 2024, 3:11 pm
If I was a GM in the NFL I would downgrade every FSU player that opted out of that bowl game by 15 spots in the draft. They are quitters. I want the guy who wants to show everyone that they got screwed and show the committee they were wrong. I don't want the guy who things didn't go his way so he goes and mopes in the corner. The same FSU guys who didn't play in the bowl are the same ones who will give up in a game because they got a penalty they didn't think was fair, or the other team wasn't called for a penalty they thought should be called, or they were lucky, etc, etc... Add that to the list of reasons why I'm not a GM but I wouldn't want any of those quitters on my favorite NFL team.
I get the sentiment, but star players opting out of bowl games is just the norm now. Guys that are supposed to go the earliest in the draft like Caleb Williams, Brock Bowers, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, Marvin Harrison Jr, etc. . . all opted out of their teams bowl games. It is just what happens if you miss the playoff. Christian McCaffery was the one that really started the trend and it would have been crazy to not draft him because of it.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 4th, 2024, 5:49 pm

Bowl games are silly and meaningless. For the most part, they are poorly attended and forgotten a day after they are played. The season should end with each conference having a championship game to determine the conference champion played on the home field of the higher rated school. Why play beyond that?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 4th, 2024, 6:48 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 4th, 2024, 4:55 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
I get the sentiment, but star players opting out of bowl games is just the norm now. Guys that are supposed to go the earliest in the draft like Caleb Williams, Brock Bowers, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, Marvin Harrison Jr, etc. . . all opted out of their teams bowl games. It is just what happens if you miss the playoff. Christian McCaffery was the one that really started the trend and it would have been crazy to not draft him because of it.
Yeah. But look at the list. Typically guys expected to go Rd1 opt out. Verse and Keon Coleman are the only ones expected to go Rd1.

Others w/ projections

Jaheim Bell, TE rd 4
Trey Benson, RB rd 4
Johnny Wilson, WR rd 3-4
Fabien Lovett, DL rd 6-7
Renardo Green, DB rd 5-6
Jarrian Jones, DB UDFA
Akeem Den, DB UDFA

Jordan Love was widely predicted to be a 1st or early 2nd rounder and fought to be able to play in a bowl game.

So yes you’ll often see early 1st rounders opt out but mid rounders and UDFAs? Do we see that as often? It seems like you take the chance to make your mark. (Unless you think you will get exposed)

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 4th, 2024, 6:52 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 4th, 2024, 5:49 pm
Bowl games are silly and meaningless. For the most part, they are poorly attended and forgotten a day after they are played. The season should end with each conference having a championship game to determine the conference champion played on the home field of the higher rated school. Why play beyond that?
Conference tourneys. Top 4 teams.

Top 2 G5s play for the G5 playoff spot.

12 team tourney for national championship.

No other bowls.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
ShowMeAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 5th, 2024, 9:49 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
January 4th, 2024, 6:48 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
Yeah. But look at the list. Typically guys expected to go Rd1 opt out. Verse and Keon Coleman are the only ones expected to go Rd1.

Others w/ projections

Jaheim Bell, TE rd 4
Trey Benson, RB rd 4
Johnny Wilson, WR rd 3-4
Fabien Lovett, DL rd 6-7
Renardo Green, DB rd 5-6
Jarrian Jones, DB UDFA
Akeem Den, DB UDFA

Jordan Love was widely predicted to be a 1st or early 2nd rounder and fought to be able to play in a bowl game.

So yes you’ll often see early 1st rounders opt out but mid rounders and UDFAs? Do we see that as often? It seems like you take the chance to make your mark. (Unless you think you will get exposed)
yeah unfortunately it has trickled down to where bowls are really about not just underclassmen now, but underclassmen who aren't transferring out. A shame, bowl season used to be a good time. Can't wait for the 12 team playoff.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Gidbob

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 5th, 2024, 9:50 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
January 4th, 2024, 6:52 pm
Yossarian wrote:

No other bowls.
Well you got to leave the Poptart Bowl.

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » January 6th, 2024, 7:53 am

January 5th, 2024, 9:49 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
January 4th, 2024, 6:48 pm
Coloraggie wrote:

Others w/ projections

Jaheim Bell, TE rd 4
Trey Benson, RB rd 4
Johnny Wilson, WR rd 3-4
Fabien Lovett, DL rd 6-7
Renardo Green, DB rd 5-6
Jarrian Jones, DB UDFA
Akeem Den, DB UDFA

yeah unfortunately it has trickled down to where bowls are really about not just underclassmen now, but underclassmen who aren't transferring out. A shame, bowl season used to be a good time. Can't wait for the 12 team playoff.
Non transferring underclassmen plus seniors with no NFL shot whatsoever
These users thanked the author Gidbob for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 6th, 2024, 8:22 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

No other bowls.
This. But instead of getting rid of bowls, move them to August or September like the early season basketball tournaments.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 6th, 2024, 10:16 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 6th, 2024, 8:22 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

No other bowls.
This. But instead of getting rid of bowls, move them to August or September like the early season basketball tournaments.
It wouldn't be bad especially since many upperclassmen have shown they aren't interested. Coaches usually say things like "we are using this game for a jumpstart on next year" anyway

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 10th, 2024, 12:10 pm

The most annoying was watching a bowl game featuring NC State (I believe). The broadcasters were commenting how the NC State starting QB - the one they worked all spring, summer, and fall with as the No. 1 QB - approached the coaching staff after playing 4 games and asked that they redshirt him because he was going to enter the transfer portal at the end of the year. This is the point where the NIL/transfer portal jumped the shark.

For me, this was about as annoying as the girl that got a summer internship position that I applied for. She got the job and on the first day asked for June off because she wanted to go on a vacation before starting work. When they asked her "June what?" She replied the entire month of June. I ended up getting a better job closer to home, but that was annoying to hear.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic