Utah Hockey

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
tysteve20

Utah Hockey

Post by tysteve20 » January 24th, 2024, 9:47 am

Looks like the smiths officially submitted a proposal for NHL expansion. Wanting to start as soon as next season using the Delta Center until they can build a new area "designed for both professional and Olympic hockey".

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2024 ... ley-smith/

I for one am all for it. I think there is a large untapped hockey market in Utah that would love a team. By the sound of it they would build the new hockey arena thus keeping the Jazz downtown.
These users thanked the author tysteve20 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0USU78

Hoot

Re: Utah Hockey

Post by Hoot » January 24th, 2024, 10:12 am

That would be awesome! Now we need the USU club team to be officially sponsored. Don’t @ me shoresy :lol:
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
AV8AG

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 24th, 2024, 10:36 am

As long as they keep the Jazz downtown I am good with it. Also, the Delta Center sucks for hockey if anyone remembers going to a Golden Eagles game there back in the day (can't see the entire ice from the upper bowl in many areas, but the sight lines are perfect for basketball
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
Intermeddler

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 24th, 2024, 10:46 am

GeoAg wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 10:36 am
As long as they keep the Jazz downtown I am good with it. Also, the Delta Center sucks for hockey if anyone remembers going to a Golden Eagles game there back in the day (can't see the entire ice from the upper bowl in many areas, but the sight lines are perfect for basketball
This.

A hockey team would be fun, but I'd honestly rather not have one than see the Jazz move to a mixed-used arena in Draper. The Jazz belong downtown.

(Frankly, a new hockey arena should be built in the Power District just west of Downtown where the Millers are hoping to put a baseball stadium. There's more than enough room for both, but Smith is hell-bent on putting something on the old prison site.)
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
CKS007

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 24th, 2024, 10:48 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 10:46 am
GeoAg wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 10:36 am
This.

A hockey team would be fun, but I'd honestly rather not have one than see the Jazz move to a mixed-used arena in Draper. The Jazz belong downtown.

(Frankly, a new hockey arena should be built in the Power District just west of Downtown where the Millers are hoping to put a baseball stadium. There's more than enough room for both, but Smith is hell-bent on putting something on the old prison site.)
Smith is a fraud, and is not working with the Millers, so I doubt he puts the arena in the power district. He wants his own thing. He has always been a massive control freak when. It comes to business. This will be no different. He wants all the control and doesn’t want to share with the millers. Which is why he’s not really a public face of the MLB bid.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
3rdGenAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 24th, 2024, 11:26 am

Can't they just expand the Maverick Center? Also, since the Miller Family seems hell bent on moving the ball park to their pet project (that they bought from Kennecott) Daybreak, I'd look at the current Bee's site for the new arena. Having spent a few days in SLC earlier this month, I've gained a new appreciation for DT-SLC. I always hear how bad the Ball Park district is, I guess I'm just an optimist and look for the good before I see the bad. Keep it urban, don't build this thing in Herriman.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 24th, 2024, 12:35 pm

So Utah will potentially have 4 pro teams, Hockey and Basketball, that pretty much run concurrently and Soccer and Baseball that run concurrently.

To me it kind of makes sense to have the Jazz in Salt Lake, with the hockey team in the southern part of the valley, and have Baseball in Salt Lake with Real in the souther part of the valley. I almost feel that they will be competing less for attendance that way.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 24th, 2024, 12:36 pm

If they put the Hockey team at the Prison site, they better name them the Breaker. Like the ice breakers or the jail breakers.

Just saying.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 3):
EngineeringAggieViAggieAV8AG

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 24th, 2024, 1:30 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 12:35 pm
So Utah will potentially have 4 pro teams, Hockey and Basketball, that pretty much run concurrently and Soccer and Baseball that run concurrently.

To me it kind of makes sense to have the Jazz in Salt Lake, with the hockey team in the southern part of the valley, and have Baseball in Salt Lake with Real in the souther part of the valley. I almost feel that they will be competing less for attendance that way.
They also just got a lacrosse team, but that league runs differently.

Aggies All the Way!

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 24th, 2024, 1:38 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 1:30 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:

Okay, well if we really want to get into it we have a rugby team (which is somewhat legit) and an ultimate Frisbee team, and a women's football team. But nobody really cares.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
EngineeringAggieAV8AG

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » January 24th, 2024, 9:08 pm

As long as it’s not a publicity funded arena I could get behind hockey.
Not sure Smith can pull it off himself. He’s better at just buying stuff

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 24th, 2024, 10:26 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 1:38 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

Okay, well if we really want to get into it we have a rugby team (which is somewhat legit) and an ultimate Frisbee team, and a women's football team. But nobody really cares.
I was not aware of this. Is it lingerie football? Asking for a friend...

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 24th, 2024, 10:39 pm

While we're talking about sports teams in Salt Lake, one thing that I think would be nice is if UTA ran a shuttle that takes you from Logan to the Frontrunner station in Ogden so you can from there get to SLC. Or if the CVTD ran a shuttle to the Frontrunner station.

As it is, if we live in Cache Valley but want to go to SLC, we have to drive as far as Ogden to get on the Frontrunner. Not having to even do that would be nice.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
AggieBlues

CacheCow

Post by CacheCow » January 25th, 2024, 1:46 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 10:39 pm
While we're talking about sports teams in Salt Lake, one thing that I think would be nice is if UTA ran a shuttle that takes you from Logan to the Frontrunner station in Ogden so you can from there get to SLC. Or if the CVTD ran a shuttle to the Frontrunner station.

As it is, if we live in Cache Valley but want to go to SLC, we have to drive as far as Ogden to get on the Frontrunner. Not having to even do that would be nice.
They just need to extend front runner to Logan
These users thanked the author CacheCow for the post:
AggieBlues

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 25th, 2024, 2:10 pm

CacheCow wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 1:46 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

Bring Back the Bamberger!!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 25th, 2024, 2:14 pm

CacheCow wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

This would be a good idea. Having a kid at USU that gets used as the airport shuttle service to and from the SLC Airport for his buddies that live out of state, that would be a great help.

Eutaw St. Aggie

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » January 25th, 2024, 2:37 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 2:14 pm
CacheCow wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

This would be a good idea. Having a kid at USU that gets used as the airport shuttle service to and from the SLC Airport for his buddies that live out of state, that would be a great help.
My understanding is that will probably never happen. The grade in Sardine is too steep for rail lines. They would have to run it through Valley View. And that would mean that most likely nobody would use it, because it would be much slower than driving. But I remember there was talk at one point about extending the Frontrunner to Brigham City and then having some kind of bus line connecting it to Logan. I'm not sure what ever came of those talks and if that is still a possibility.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 25th, 2024, 5:28 pm

The Frontrunner as it currently is doesn't really work for sports and I doubt they change it. It doesn't run on Sundays, it only runs hourly on Saturday and isn't reliable and it doesn't extend hours into the evening to account for games ending late. I really want to like the Frontrunner but the last few times I tried to use it I ran into so many issues that it's just not worth it.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » January 25th, 2024, 7:02 pm

Frontrunner, or any rail through sardine canyon is a no go, but the possibility of extending passenger rail service to Logan around through Cutler Gap and into the valley is still under consideration. Even the idea of boring a tunnel from Brigham City to Wellsville is a dark horse possibility.

The problem is the huge gap in potential riders between Logan and Brigham City. Any way you route it, there won't be anyone to get on and off between those two communities. I think gamefaqs' suggestion of an express bus link from Logan to the Ogden station is the best many of us will see before flying cars are invented.
These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post:
AV8AG

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 25th, 2024, 8:02 pm

I kind of hope that cache valley never gets connected to front runner. Keep Cache valley separated from the salt lake metro. Have fruit runner run to Brigham and call it good.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » January 25th, 2024, 10:00 pm

I say drill a gigantic tunnel.
These users thanked the author pilotaggie for the post:
AV8AG

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 25th, 2024, 11:15 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 8:02 pm
I kind of hope that cache valley never gets connected to front runner. Keep Cache valley separated from the salt lake metro. Have fruit runner run to Brigham and call it good.
It’s such a long train ride it will never feel “connected” even if they do find a way. It takes
One two hours via train to get to North Ogden. No one would ever use it

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » January 26th, 2024, 9:50 am

I googled because I was curious, and apparently they still plan to extend the Frontrunner to Brigham City eventually:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50630013/as ... trunner-20

The key word is "eventually," though. The TLDR is that they are in the process of buying land to extend it north of Ogden. Anyone who has paid attention to the high speed rail debacle in California knows that this can take forever if landowners don't want to sell. They say that they are hoping to finish the extension to Brigham City by 2040. So it won't be happening any time soon.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » January 26th, 2024, 11:52 am

I would rather we get an NFL team than an MLB and NHL team. And having lived in Europe I'm all in on rail, but you have to make cities more mass transit friendly as well. Otherwise you just end up in a transit desert when you get off the train at your destination city.

*Edit: Or make cities more walkable which I also would appreciate.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
AggieBlues

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » January 26th, 2024, 4:25 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
January 26th, 2024, 11:52 am
I would rather we get an NFL team than an MLB and NHL team. And having lived in Europe I'm all in on rail, but you have to make cities more mass transit friendly as well. Otherwise you just end up in a transit desert when you get off the train at your destination city.

Everybody would rather have an NFL team, but that’s not in the cards. An NFL stadium and the price of an NFL team is probably double or triple what an NHL team is.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » January 29th, 2024, 9:13 pm

EngineeringAggie wrote:
January 26th, 2024, 4:25 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
January 26th, 2024, 11:52 am

Everybody would rather have an NFL team, but that’s not in the cards. An NFL stadium and the price of an NFL team is probably double or triple what an NHL team is.
I'll give you our NFL team and throw in a baseball team too :)

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » February 8th, 2024, 11:24 pm

I genuinely don't understand why the Maverick Center couldn't work as a temporary home for the NHL team and the Jazz while they build something on the site of the Delta Center that could accommodate hockey better. 12,600 isn't great but it's not awful temporarily. The location I feel the same way about. Not great, but not terrible for a temporary solution.

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » February 9th, 2024, 11:08 am

Gidbob wrote:
February 8th, 2024, 11:24 pm
I genuinely don't understand why the Maverick Center couldn't work as a temporary home for the NHL team and the Jazz while they build something on the site of the Delta Center that could accommodate hockey better. 12,600 isn't great but it's not awful temporarily. The location I feel the same way about. Not great, but not terrible for a temporary solution.
I just think that Ryan Smith doesn’t want to work with anybody else, and he doesn’t own the Grizzlies. Honestly, the Grizzlies’ owner might not want an NHL team here because it will destroy the value of his hockey franchise.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » February 9th, 2024, 11:21 am

If Ryan Smith succeeds in buying the Coyotes, I hope they rebrand.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
EngineeringAggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » February 9th, 2024, 12:25 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
February 9th, 2024, 11:21 am
I do too. To @tysteve20 idea of the yeti's.
These users thanked the author FromLItoLogan for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggietysteve20

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 9th, 2024, 3:00 pm

GordoAggie wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 9:08 pm
As long as it’s not a publicity funded arena I could get behind hockey.
Not sure Smith can pull it off himself. He’s better at just buying stuff
I think he's trying to piggyback off the Olympics to get an arena that he doesn't have to pay a cent for.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
aggies22

Aggies All the Way!

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » February 9th, 2024, 8:41 pm

FromLItoLogan wrote:
February 9th, 2024, 12:25 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
February 9th, 2024, 11:21 am
I do too. To @tysteve20 idea of the yeti's.
This was my daughter's team last year. Yeti, sasquatch, either way. I like it.

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » February 10th, 2024, 11:52 am

Yeti is the best potential name. I actually prefer keeping it singular. “Utah Yeti” as opposed to “Utah Yetis”. It’s kind of like how Colorado isn’t the Avalanches.

I always think of Seattle Kraken as being a singular Kraken, but apparently the word Kraken can mean multiple Kraken. I’m not familiar enough with the organization to know whether they intended for it to be a single kraken or multiple. I’m probably just overthinking it all anyway.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 12th, 2024, 6:14 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

There's also a pro Ultimate Frisbee team.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » February 12th, 2024, 7:43 am

aggies22 wrote:
February 12th, 2024, 6:14 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

There's also a pro Ultimate Frisbee team.
Back in our time at USU my cousin was dating a girl who left him for a “pro athlete” as she put it. He was an ultimate frisbee player.

On a side note, a pro disk golf player used to run the surplus store on campus.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic