49ers players didn't know overtime rules

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
GameFAQSAggie

49ers players didn't know overtime rules

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 12th, 2024, 3:58 pm

The 49ers players admitted to not knowing the overtime rules, thinking they could score a touchdown to win the game.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/395 ... bowl-rules

For all the bad stuff we have been warned about by the Arkansas State fans, we haven't seen any of them telling us about an incident at ASU under Blake with the players not knowing the overtime rules, like they did for instance realize, when we played them under Blake and lost to them, that we would get a possession in overtime after they scored instead of the game being over.

Yossarian

Re: 49ers players didn't know overtime rules

Post by Yossarian » February 12th, 2024, 4:32 pm

Maybe they should have tried to score that touchdown.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
ViAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 12th, 2024, 4:35 pm

Major oversite by the Niners. They gave the Chiefs a major advantage by taking the ball first. On 4th and 1 in their own territory, maybe the Chiefs punt instead of go for it. You never know.

Foolonthehill

Post by Foolonthehill » February 12th, 2024, 5:09 pm

NVAggie wrote:
    February 12th, 2024, 4:35 pm
    Major oversite by the Niners. They gave the Chiefs a major advantage by taking the ball first. On 4th and 1 in their own territory, maybe the Chiefs punt instead of go for it. You never know.
    I disagree it was a major oversight. The 49ers defense had just allowed KC to drive for the tying FG and had to be a bit gassed. Momentum was with the Chiefs. I thought it was an opportunity for San Francisco to gain that momentum back by driving for their own TD and putting the pressure on Kansas City by forcing them to score a TD as well.

Alas, that didn’t happen. Much to the sorrow of this 49ers fan.
    These users thanked the author Foolonthehill for the post (total 2):
    trevordudeAGinNEIowa

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » February 13th, 2024, 12:02 am

Foolonthehill wrote:
    February 12th, 2024, 5:09 pm
      NVAggie wrote:
      I disagree it was a major oversight. The 49ers defense had just allowed KC to drive for the tying FG and had to be a bit gassed. Momentum was with the Chiefs. I thought it was an opportunity for San Francisco to gain that momentum back by driving for their own TD and putting the pressure on Kansas City by forcing them to score a TD as well.

Not to mention that if the chiefs and Niners both scored the same amount of points on their respective first overtime possessions, then the Niners would have the ball next in what would then be “next score wins”.
      These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post (total 3):
      AGinNEIowaFoolonthehillIntermeddler

AGinNEIowa
      Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » February 13th, 2024, 12:32 pm

AggiePT wrote:
      February 13th, 2024, 12:02 am
      Foolonthehill wrote:
      February 12th, 2024, 5:09 pm
        NVAggie wrote:

Not to mention that if the chiefs and Niners both scored the same amount of points on their respective first overtime possessions, then the Niners would have the ball next in what would then be “next score wins”.
        Right - you go defense first - you may have to stop their offense twice. I don't like those odds against Chiefs/Mahomes in OT

I think this is a Nothing Burger. 9er's Defense had to make a stop, and they didn't -twice. once in the final 2 minutes, and again in OT.
        These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post (total 2):
        Foolonthehilltrevordude

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 13th, 2024, 4:24 pm

I know people are making a big deal out of this story but what would the players have done differently if they knew the rules? Seems like a nothing story to me.
        These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
        ViAggieAGinNEIowa

ProvoAggie
        Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 13th, 2024, 4:29 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
        February 13th, 2024, 4:24 pm
        I know people are making a big deal out of this story but what would the players have done differently if they knew the rules? Seems like a nothing story to me.
        They take the ball first. With the old rules if the first team scores a TD the game is over. With the new rules, the 2nd team has a chance to match. If you have a chance to match then you take it. If KC drives down and get's a TD then you aren't settling for a FG on 4th down. You still may lose but at least you knew what you had to do.
        These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
        NVAggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 13th, 2024, 4:32 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
        February 13th, 2024, 4:29 pm
        Intermeddler wrote:
        They take the ball first. With the old rules if the first team scores a TD the game is over. With the new rules, the 2nd team has a chance to match. If you have a chance to match then you take it. If KC drives down and get's a TD then you aren't settling for a FG on 4th down. You still may lose but at least you knew what you had to do.
        But that isn't the players' choice that is the coaches who knew the rules so what would the players have done differently? And I also don't think they were necessarily wrong to take the ball first.

ProvoAggie
        Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 13th, 2024, 4:37 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
        February 13th, 2024, 4:32 pm
        ProvoAggie wrote:
        Intermeddler wrote:
        But that isn't the players' choice that is the coaches who knew the rules so what would the players have done differently? And I also don't think they were necessarily wrong to take the ball first.
        The coaches should have let the players know but it's the players that tell the official what they want to do. With the old rules you pretty much always take the ball first since you don't have a chance to match. The players said what they were used to saying because they didn't realize that the rules were different. An argument could be made that you want control on the 3rd possession if both teams match blows but there's more risk to that.

AgTime

Post by AgTime » February 13th, 2024, 4:39 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
        ProvoAggie wrote:
        Intermeddler wrote:
        I think the Super Bowl OT rules basically make strategy the same as that for college OT. Everyone wants the ball second in that situation to know what they have to match.
        These users thanked the author AgTime for the post:
        ProvoAggie

NVAggie
        SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 13th, 2024, 4:41 pm

I would take the ball second in the case of the Super Bowl. You know what you need to do. If it is 4th and 8 on your own 20, you know you have to go for it. The Chiefs had 4th and 1 in their territory. They probably go for it, but in the case if the Super Bowl, they didn't even have a choice to punt.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 13th, 2024, 4:46 pm

AgTime wrote:
        February 13th, 2024, 4:39 pm
        Intermeddler wrote:
        ProvoAggie wrote:
        Intermeddler wrote:
        I think the Super Bowl OT rules basically make strategy the same as that for college OT. Everyone wants the ball second in that situation to know what they have to match.
        The difference between NFL postseason and college is that NFL postseason, you take it first, then if you get matched, you get it third with a chance to win. Whereas in college, if you get it first and subsequently third, then there is a fourth possession that the opponent gets.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 13th, 2024, 4:49 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
        February 13th, 2024, 4:37 pm
        Intermeddler wrote:
        ProvoAggie wrote:
        Intermeddler wrote:
        The coaches should have let the players know but it's the players that tell the official what they want to do. With the old rules you pretty much always take the ball first since you don't have a chance to match. The players said what they were used to saying because they didn't realize that the rules were different. An argument could be made that you want control on the 3rd possession if both teams match blows but there's more risk to that.
        You think that the players decided to take the ball because that is what they were used to and not because the coaches told them to take the ball? Sorry, but I am skeptical. The coach tells the player what to say on their way out to the toss the player doesn't decide anything.

AgTime

Post by AgTime » February 13th, 2024, 5:04 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
        February 13th, 2024, 4:46 pm
        The difference between NFL postseason and college is that NFL postseason, you take it first, then if you get matched, you get it third with a chance to win. Whereas in college, if you get it first and subsequently third, then there is a fourth possession that the opponent gets.
        Rules are…

The NFL's new overtime rules for Super Bowl LVIII in 2024 are as follows:
        1. Both teams get at least one possession in overtime, regardless of whether the team that gets the ball first scores.
        2. If the score is still tied after each team gets the ball once, the next score wins.
        3. Play will continue regardless of how many overtime periods are needed for a winner to be determined.
        4. The game is over if a safety or defensive touchdown (pick 6, scoop-and-score) is scored.

If I won the toss, I’d defer every time.
        These users thanked the author AgTime for the post:
        ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 13th, 2024, 6:00 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
        All that matters is that the coaches know the rules. Players can remain dumb AF, it's the coaches who need to know their S.
        These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
        Intermeddler

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 16th, 2024, 2:01 pm

I didn't know if they were going to re-set as time expired in overtime and start another OT or let the game play on. Don't feel so bad about that since the niners play by play guy Greg Papa said he didn't know the answer to that either.

Shanahan is and arrogant flat brim wearing nepo baby. LOL His explanation on why he didn't defer in OT after winning the snap is that he wanted to get the ball 3rd. Because after each team has a possession, the team that gets the ball next (3rd) can win the game with a field goal. Now he's fired his defensive coordinator. Trying to point the blame onto someone else. The dude has an enormous ego and can't be held accountable or even admit that HE BLEW IT!
        These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
        Hoot

Hoot

Post by Hoot » February 16th, 2024, 6:17 pm

El Sapo wrote:
        February 16th, 2024, 2:01 pm
        I didn't know if they were going to re-set as time expired in overtime and start another OT or let the game play on. Don't feel so bad about that since the niners play by play guy Greg Papa said he didn't know the answer to that either.

Shanahan is and arrogant flat brim wearing nepo baby. LOL His explanation on why he didn't defer in OT after winning the snap is that he wanted to get the ball 3rd. Because after each team has a possession, the team that gets the ball next (3rd) can win the game with a field goal. Now he's fired his defensive coordinator. Trying to point the blame onto someone else. The dude has an enormous ego and can't be held accountable or even admit that HE BLEW IT!
        I can never root for a Shanahan. Mike was a whiny (I can't express myself without swearing).

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 17th, 2024, 11:10 am

Hoot wrote:
        February 16th, 2024, 6:17 pm
        El Sapo wrote:
        February 16th, 2024, 2:01 pm

I can never root for a Shanahan. Mike was a whiny (I can't express myself without swearing).
        I get great satisfaction knowing that Al Davis withheld 250K of Mike's salary after he fired him.
        These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
        Hoot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic