NBA All Star Game

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Yossarian

NBA All Star Game

Post by Yossarian » February 19th, 2024, 7:11 pm

Do people still watch this? I just saw a score; 211 - 186. Is this a joke? Why would anyone watch this? Why even have the game if you're not going to play? Just have a bunch of guys have a shoot around session and high five each other and yuck it up for 2 hours. That would be more entertaining. I would much rather watch the pickup games from the Dream Team leading up to the Olympics than watch a 211 - 186 game.

I just can't imagine why anyone would want to see a game like that.

Eutaw St. Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: NBA All Star Game

Post by NVAggie » February 19th, 2024, 7:50 pm

The NBA of today is much softer than our era.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aggies22

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 19th, 2024, 9:36 pm

As a preface, I really enjoy the NBA and have Jazz season tickets and go to about 30 games a year. I like the faster paced, well-spaced offenses and I find it much more enjoyable than most college basketball.

That being said, the game yesterday was a joke. I watched most of it but it was not compelling at any point. I went to the game last year and did enjoy the game. Seeing those guys in person and some of the spectacular plays they could pull off was impressive, but on TV, it just looks like a lazy pickup game and it gets worse each year. The only event that anyone will remember a year or more from now was the Sabrina v. Steph shooting contest, which was actually interesting.

Maybe all star games are an antiquated concept. Not to sound too old, but anyone now can watch any player at any time, highlights, full games, etc. A bunch of stuff I grew up on (Heisman Trophy, All Star Games, etc.) is losing luster because there is no real obstacle to seeing any player I want whenever I want. When the ASG was compelling, I could watch the Jazz locally, TNT had a couple games a week, and NBC had weekend games. Other than Sportscenter and NBA Inside Stuff, I may not see a guy in the Eastern Conference until the All Star Game and I think guys knew that was perhaps their one showcase chance a year and played like it.

Not sure if there is a solution either. Maybe USA v. The World would get some competitive juices flowing, but the Euro guys seem the most disinterested (Luka and Jokic at least). Ultimately, it sucks and no one has to watch it so maybe no one really cares and we will just check the box of having this game every year but it would be nice to find a way to make it compelling, or at least, the 4th quarter resemble real basketball.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
jackattackaggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 19th, 2024, 9:58 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
February 19th, 2024, 9:36 pm
As a preface, I really enjoy the NBA and have Jazz season tickets and go to about 30 games a year. I like the faster paced, well-spaced offenses and I find it much more enjoyable than most college basketball.

That being said, the game yesterday was a joke. I watched most of it but it was not compelling at any point. I went to the game last year and did enjoy the game. Seeing those guys in person and some of the spectacular plays they could pull off was impressive, but on TV, it just looks like a lazy pickup game and it gets worse each year. The only event that anyone will remember a year or more from now was the Sabrina v. Steph shooting contest, which was actually interesting.

Maybe all star games are an antiquated concept. Not to sound too old, but anyone now can watch any player at any time, highlights, full games, etc. A bunch of stuff I grew up on (Heisman Trophy, All Star Games, etc.) is losing luster because there is no real obstacle to seeing any player I want whenever I want. When the ASG was compelling, I could watch the Jazz locally, TNT had a couple games a week, and NBC had weekend games. Other than Sportscenter and NBA Inside Stuff, I may not see a guy in the Eastern Conference until the All Star Game and I think guys knew that was perhaps their one showcase chance a year and played like it.

Not sure if there is a solution either. Maybe USA v. The World would get some competitive juices flowing, but the Euro guys seem the most disinterested (Luka and Jokic at least). Ultimately, it sucks and no one has to watch it so maybe no one really cares and we will just check the box of having this game every year but it would be nice to find a way to make it compelling, or at least, the 4th quarter resemble real basketball.
You may have a point there.

I remember days before cabke television at my house (we didn't get it until several years after it was available and my friends had it). I have always been a baseball fan first and foremost. Living out of a TV market for baseball, you got to see one baseball game nationally televised per week... one. You could watch This Week in Baseball hosted by Mel Allen and then watch the Game of the Week on a Saturday. It was extra special if your team was playing in that game. I would glance through box score daily to see how my team and favorite players did the night before. In weekends, the SLTrib would post the Top 10 leaders in batting average, HRs, RBI, ERA, etc. That's how my Sunday mornings were spent - checking this leaderboards. For the most part, I would only know what the players looked like from their baseball card photos.

Like you say - now I can get a many highlights as I want with a quick search.

When we got cable and I could watch Cubs games in the afternoon on WGN, and Braves games in the evening on TBS, life changed.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » February 20th, 2024, 9:28 am

If they don't like playing for rewards, could always be loser gets punished. $1 million fine for all losing team members.

Not sent from Tapatalk

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » February 20th, 2024, 10:23 am

Here's my solution:
cut the number of all stars from 28 down to 24
Create 8 teams of 3
have a 3 on 3 halfcourt to 21 tournament over two days
winning team gets some sort of substantial financial incentive

I think players would be more motivated and since its halfcourt they don't have to run/play as much or as hard.
I would tune in to watch a Lebron-Luka-KD vs Curry-Embiid-Giannis final

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 20th, 2024, 11:11 am

tysteve20 wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 10:23 am
Here's my solution:
cut the number of all stars from 28 down to 24
Create 8 teams of 3
have a 3 on 3 halfcourt to 21 tournament over two days
winning team gets some sort of substantial financial incentive

I think players would be more motivated and since its halfcourt they don't have to run/play as much or as hard.
I would tune in to watch a Lebron-Luka-KD vs Curry-Embiid-Giannis final
It is already at 24 but an idea I like similar to yours is expanding to 32 and have 4 teams of 8 play a mini-tournament like the Rising Stars game now.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 20th, 2024, 11:20 am

If they wanted to truly make an experience for the fans, they would skip the games. They could show highlights of the all star players in real competition on big screens at a large venue. They could have all of the stars gathered together for a 3 day fan fest. Make themselves accessible to those that pay to watch them play. Sign autographs, take pictures, have giveaways, let fans take part in shooting competitions, have players talk and interact with fans. That would go so much further to gain interest than a sham game that nobody cares about.

3 days of a person's (an all star player making more in a year than a lot of their fans will make in a lifetime) time is a small price to pay to get fans interested for a lifetime.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
NVAggie3rdGenAggieaggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 21st, 2024, 11:52 am

The NBA comish spoke to Chris Paul about the all Star game last year and asked what he could do to make the game better. Make it a competitive game not just a shoot around. Paul told him to cut all the pre-game and halftime concerts etc. The comish did just that and this was still the worst all star game ever.

One of the NBA media guys said the players will only play for money. He said put up $500K for the winning team and nothing for the losers. The money would come from a sponsor, not the teams or the NBA. That would make for a competitive game.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
aggies22

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » February 21st, 2024, 1:16 pm

El Sapo wrote:
February 21st, 2024, 11:52 am
The NBA comish spoke to Chris Paul about the all Star game last year and asked what he could do to make the game better. Make it a competitive game not just a shoot around. Paul told him to cut all the pre-game and halftime concerts etc. The comish did just that and this was still the worst all star game ever.

One of the NBA media guys said the players will only play for money. He said put up $500K for the winning team and nothing for the losers. The money would come from a sponsor, not the teams or the NBA. That would make for a competitive game.
Each team gets to adopt a stray dog for the game. Winning team dog gets adopted, loser team dog...

Not sent from Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 22nd, 2024, 7:44 am

Yeah if I wanted to watch bad basketball with no defense I'd watch a quin Snyder coached team. The all star game should go the way of the pro bowl.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic