NIL where did it go wrong?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
FeartheFro

NIL where did it go wrong?

Post by FeartheFro » March 24th, 2024, 7:43 pm

When I first heard about NIL my first thought was that I was OK with it. I saw Justin Bean advertising for USU credit union and taco time and getting paid for his services. I was ok with a company paying a player to “work for them”. Had did it go from this to where we are now, with apparently the bulk of the money coming needing to come from fan support? The thought of this happening never even occurred to me. What would our AD tell me to do? Should I continue to donate to Aggie athletics in general and receive the benefit of better seats? Do I just hand money over to the NIL group having no idea where the money is going? Do I contribute to the Merlin Olsen fund to help pay assistant coaches? Which of these are going to provide ME with the highest ROI? I’m sure businesses in the valley are getting hit up as well but at this point it sure seems like the motto is “fans, fork your money over to NIL if you ever want to get a good player again”. This F’ing sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GUS

Re: NIL where did it go wrong?

Post by GUS » March 24th, 2024, 8:55 pm

The NCAA has become worthless in both the NIL department and the limiting of transfers department. There has to be some restrictions that would stand up in court. The NCAA needs to come up with them and enforce them.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 24th, 2024, 8:57 pm

No rules allowed it to become pay for play. I gave no problem with guys getting paid for their actual sponsorship or likeness, but pay for play has turned this into chaos. At least in the pros there are things like salary caps or roster dates that make sense. Can you imagine if free agency in the pros started in the middle of the playoffs like it does in college?
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 5):
trevordudeProvoAggieAngusAg3rdGenAggieaggies22

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 24th, 2024, 10:56 pm

The NCAA is corrupt and feckless. That's where NIL went wrong.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 25th, 2024, 6:44 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 10:56 pm
Because TV is corrupt because advertisers are corrupt because because because.

There ain't no good guys.
There ain't no bad guys.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Full

Post by Full » March 25th, 2024, 6:54 am

I think the first issue was when we saw coaches at Mountain West schools making a million a year, but penalizing schools for a player letting a recruit crash on the couch or giving a recruit a bagel with cream cheese. Everyone saw how ridiculous the system was and that it needed to be fixed. So change was forced on the NCAA. It left the rails with the BYU Built Bar deal. We then have the unlimited transfers thanks to a court ruling.
These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 2):
aggies22trevordude

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » March 25th, 2024, 12:57 pm

USU78 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:44 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 10:56 pm
Because TV is corrupt because advertisers are corrupt because because because.

There ain't no good guys.
There ain't no bad guys.
FIFY
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
USU78

Nobody here knows anything.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » March 25th, 2024, 1:26 pm

The equivalent in the NBA or NFL is that every player is on a one year contract, with the ability to move teams if they don’t like the way things are going during two separate periods during the calendar year, once after the season is over and again after offseason training before preseason starts. Oh, there are no salary caps either.

That’s where NIL money and the NCAA went wrong.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 25th, 2024, 2:44 pm

Unless NIL is reigned in, I will continue to not support it.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 25th, 2024, 2:54 pm

Didn't the idea of compensating players begin with the money the NCAA was getting through licensing agreements to video game makers that used the names and likenesses of college athletes in their video games? Attorneys stepped in and said that the players should get a cut off that pie for using their names and likenesses.

We are a long way from that now.

When UNLV won the National Championship, people would comment how the cars in the parking lot at the practice facility looked like an NBA team, not a college team. Those guys were paid a ton. In today's game, it would be perfectly legal and they were probably underpaid.
Last edited by Yossarian on March 26th, 2024, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eutaw St. Aggie

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » March 26th, 2024, 4:41 pm

Another reason to hate BYU. The built bar idea was one of the first to come up with the idea of gathering in money so they could pay whoever they wanted. They are on the cutting edge of pyramid schemes and bilking people out of their money.

These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 27th, 2024, 7:01 am

First, it was made legal in an attempt to save face by the NCAA following the FBI shoe company scandal.

Second, we were at LEAST 12+ months late getting into the NIL game.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 27th, 2024, 11:11 am

Greed ruins everything.

cval

Post by cval » March 27th, 2024, 11:28 am

When the NCAA realized that it was not possible to regulate it in any way, allowing it to morph from NIL to just plain old pay for play.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 27th, 2024, 3:37 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 7:43 pm
When I first heard about NIL my first thought was that I was OK with it. I saw Justin Bean advertising for USU credit union and taco time and getting paid for his services. I was ok with a company paying a player to “work for them”. Had did it go from this to where we are now, with apparently the bulk of the money coming needing to come from fan support? The thought of this happening never even occurred to me. What would our AD tell me to do? Should I continue to donate to Aggie athletics in general and receive the benefit of better seats? Do I just hand money over to the NIL group having no idea where the money is going? Do I contribute to the Merlin Olsen fund to help pay assistant coaches? Which of these are going to provide ME with the highest ROI? I’m sure businesses in the valley are getting hit up as well but at this point it sure seems like the motto is “fans, fork your money over to NIL if you ever want to get a good player again”. This F’ing sucks.

It went wrong in the fact that there were no rules in what was would be allowed. NIL in the purest form of what you saw with Justin Bean is exactly IMO how NIL is meant to be. What it turned into is a bidding war and just flat out paying players to play without any returned payment from the player in terms of commercials, advertisements, autograph sessions etc. It is essentially the wild west.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 27th, 2024, 4:45 pm

If Men's Basketball had to stand alone how many teams would be profitable? Asking fans to pay the players separate of buying seats, gear etc? It's amazing the emotional tie that college has over people. There is no way this model works any other way.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
trevordude

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » April 26th, 2024, 10:04 am

TrueAG wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 4:45 pm
If Men's Basketball had to stand alone how many teams would be profitable? Asking fans to pay the players separate of buying seats, gear etc? It's amazing the emotional tie that college has over people. There is no way this model works any other way.
I was just thinking this same thing. I'll never give to NIL, as no other model (other than a broken one) makes me pay for players (who don't have contracts) and then makes me pay to watch those same players play.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeyalll no. I'll drop college basketball like a bad habit if this is how it's going to be.

Board games for life.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
BearLakeMonster

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 26th, 2024, 11:26 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 3:37 pm
FeartheFro wrote:
March 24th, 2024, 7:43 pm

It went wrong in the fact that there were no rules in what was would be allowed. NIL in the purest form of what you saw with Justin Bean is exactly IMO how NIL is meant to be. What it turned into is a bidding war and just flat out paying players to play without any returned payment from the player in terms of commercials, advertisements, autograph sessions etc. It is essentially the wild west.
Sure, I support players getting endorsements. If Taco Time in Logan wants to pay Justin Bean to advertise their bean burrito, more power to both sides. If a player can profit off his autographs or sell merch of himself, more power to him.

I'm not just going to donate so a college player can have more money though.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ereksonaggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic