Wesley Brooks Named Head WBB Coach

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie_Watch

Re: Wesley Brooks Named Head WBB Coach

Post by Aggie_Watch » April 20th, 2024, 7:12 am

ViAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 12:23 pm
Looks like we have some solid hires under Brooks, looking forward to next season.
Looks like Brooks signed a local girl 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
These users thanked the author Aggie_Watch for the post:
ViAggie

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » April 29th, 2024, 10:36 am

Any news on transfers or new commits? Seems quiet, but maybe I just don't know where to look.

Is Stubbs staying?

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » April 29th, 2024, 11:06 am

TrueAggieman wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 10:36 am
Any news on transfers or new commits? Seems quiet, but maybe I just don't know where to look.

Is Stubbs staying?
From rumors I’ve heard, Stubbs and Taneda are both staying, along with Gracie Johnson(source level-her dad). They’ve had commits from a local player from green canyon, who was previously committed to UVU, I believe. They just announced a signing of a juco player from slcc.
These users thanked the author greggers1868 for the post:
TrueAggieman

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 29th, 2024, 11:21 am

greggers1868 wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 11:06 am
TrueAggieman wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 10:36 am

Is Stubbs staying?
From rumors I’ve heard, Stubbs and Taneda are both staying, along with Gracie Johnson(source level-her dad). They’ve had commits from a local player from green canyon, who was previously committed to UVU, I believe. They just announced a signing of a juco player from slcc.
Stubbs is staying. I believe the number is six players returning from last year's team. I've also seen a handful of commits on social media the past few days (mostly HS and Juco kids) so I'd imagine they'll announce soon.

If my counting is correct, they're right around 12 players right now, so maybe one or two more spots to fill.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » April 29th, 2024, 11:53 am

Do the women not play on Stew Morrill court? Why aren't we talking about the women's team on the main basketball forum?

Hail the Utah Aggies!

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 29th, 2024, 11:55 am

Stucki wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 11:53 am
Do the women not play on Stew Morrill court? Why aren't we talking about the women's team on the main basketball forum?
Because some people get offended by women's sports.... just be glad wbb discussions are not regulated to the Sandbox.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » April 29th, 2024, 12:02 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 11:55 am
Stucki wrote:
Because some people get offended by women's sports.... just be glad wbb discussions are not regulated to the Sandbox.
People need to get over themselves.
These users thanked the author Stucki for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Hail the Utah Aggies!

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » April 29th, 2024, 12:54 pm

Stucki wrote:
I've been vocal about the fact that women's sports deserves its own forum. Between basketball, volleyball, soccer, and gymnastics, I'm pretty sure that we could keep enough interest in it for it to make sense.

Glad that Stubbs is staying, as she's literally the only player from last year that I like.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

AggieInTucson

Post by AggieInTucson » April 29th, 2024, 1:12 pm

918AGG wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 12:54 pm
Stucki wrote:
I've been vocal about the fact that women's sports deserves its own forum. Between basketball, volleyball, soccer, and gymnastics, I'm pretty sure that we could keep enough interest in it for it to make sense.

Glad that Stubbs is staying, as she's literally the only player from last year that I like.
We should definitely do that and it should be named after Annette Cottle, who won a national championship as a volleyball player, four-time All-American and was named the most outstanding player in the country.
These users thanked the author AggieInTucson for the post (total 3):
AngusAgflying_scotsman2.0Aggiefan33

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 29th, 2024, 1:24 pm

AggieInTucson wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 1:12 pm
918AGG wrote:
Stucki wrote:

We should definitely do that and it should be named after Annette Cottle, who won a national championship as a volleyball player, four-time All-American and was named the most outstanding player in the country.
Chari Hawkins is another option.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » April 29th, 2024, 1:27 pm

918AGG wrote:
Stucki wrote:

That would also be a good option.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

rAggie

Post by rAggie » April 29th, 2024, 2:42 pm

918AGG wrote:
Stucki wrote:

Yes please! I recently DM’d @Aglicious inquiring about this. It would be great to have a go to location to discuss and elevate women’s sports and not have it relegated to the “other” pile.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 2):
918AGGStucki

Showing my True Colors since 2022

shoresy

Post by shoresy » April 29th, 2024, 2:49 pm

918AGG wrote:
Stucki wrote:

Yeah, it's probably wise to keep Stubbs around as she was very obviously the most talented player from last year's team. I just hope Brooks uses her much, much differently and can coach some of the bad habits out of her.

She's played three years of college basketball for two different teams and has only won 20 games. She needs a coach to teach her how to be a winning player. Especially by the end of the year, it was extremely clear that defense and boosting teammates were afterthoughts.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
918AGG

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 29th, 2024, 6:44 pm

918AGG wrote:
Stucki wrote:

Rather than specifying women, I would suggest having the forum be for ALL USU Non-Football or Men's Basketball sports.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 29th, 2024, 6:48 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 6:44 pm
918AGG wrote:
Stucki wrote:

Rather than specifying women, I would suggest having the forum be for ALL USU Non-Football or Men's Basketball sports.
I mean, isn't that essentially what big blue house is already? I guess there are a few threads on pro sports, but thr vast majority of Big Blues House is usu non revenue sports.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Gidbob

Aggie1984

Post by Aggie1984 » May 3rd, 2024, 10:56 am

Looks like the team is nearly complete for next season. Shorsey any insight in how this team looks in comparison to the last two seasons?

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » May 3rd, 2024, 11:24 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 6:48 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 6:44 pm
918AGG wrote:
Stucki wrote:

I mean, isn't that essentially what big blue house is already? I guess there are a few threads on pro sports, but thr vast majority of Big Blues House is usu non revenue sports.
:roll:

It is essentially that because there is not a Women's Sports Forum in existence.

As a non-contributing member of anything board related, I use my worthless vote to second the motion for a USU Women's Sports forum.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » May 3rd, 2024, 11:25 am

Aggie1984 wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 10:56 am
Looks like the team is nearly complete for next season. Shorsey any insight in how this team looks in comparison to the last two seasons?
Honestly, talent-wise, I'm not sure it's all that much better than the past two years. Brooks brought in a bunch of players with the hope that they were underrecruited and wasn't able to get much on the transfer market, but I think that has more to do with the state of the program than with him as a recruiter.

The good news is that he was able to retain the two players from last year's team worth retaining, and I do think a few of the players he brought in have some pretty major potential. They're also almost entirely from Utah and surrounding areas, which I think will go a long ways with player retention. The other good news is that even with little talent on the roster, a competent coach could absolutely improve on last year's win total and win a handful of MW games because the league is very poor.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » May 3rd, 2024, 11:26 am

Also, as a heads up, I've created a new WBB thread on the Stew's Spectrum board to hopefully reach a bigger audience

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71873

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic